2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I get like 3 or 4 texts a day.  It is a beating.

You have to text back Stop.  Can't just delete and report as spam.

1 minute ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I'd like for mega-donor and corporate sponsorship of politicians to be banned.  Then I'd be fine with being bludgeoned by fundraising texts by politicians every hour.

laughs in SCOTUS

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You have to text back Stop.  Can't just delete and report as spam.

laughs in SCOTUS

Yeah, I donate and then immediately STOP the messages and send the emails to junk. 

Like I did my part, leave me alone.  Like your algorithm can't see that I am a monthly recurring donor? Stop asking me for more, go ask a one-time donor to make another contribution. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I got three texts just during the debate.  

Apparently Kamala can’t do this without me, which I’m totally honored by of course, but I wonder what plan B is when I ignored it.  

And she’s losing in all the polls and only an extra $5 can turn it around. Just exhausting.

• Hook 'Em 3

Feels like we are entering the endgame with this election. Debates are done, minds have been made up. I don't think an October surprise will have any affect, we are pelted every waking minute with so much bullshit that nothing is gonna truly stick at this point. 

IMO it's all about turnout and judgment day for voters. Get busy living, or get busy dying. 

• Hook 'Em 7

It's like with anything you try to ask Trump or Vance about, they can talk and whine about their grievances but don't you dare ask them about it because they're focused on the future...while bitching non-stop about the past. It's an easy question. Your candidate didn't want to leave office last time. Why should voters think he won't do that again when he can't even agree that he lost the first time even though everyone outside of MAGA knows he did? That's why the Walz line was the best of the night. It was a damning non-answer. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Feels like we are entering the endgame with this election. Debates are done, minds have been made up. I don't think an October surprise will have any affect, we are pelted every waking minute with so much bullshit that nothing is gonna truly stick at this point. 

IMO it's all about turnout and judgment day for voters. Get busy living, or get busy dying. 

This. There’s not much left but a scandal. Maybe Trump gets dinged for not showing up Oct 23 and Harris gets the stage to herself 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If this dock strike goes more than a couple weeks, that's an October surprise that will have teeth. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If this dock strike goes more than a couple weeks, that's an October surprise that will have teeth. 

This might be my biggest concern right now for Kamala.  If in the next 3-4 weeks the strike affects the prices of goods (food, tv’s, cars, etc…) then people will listen to the lies of Trump and the right even more when they blame her for this happening and that Trump would have cut a deal with the dockworkers to make everything great. 

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

If in the next 3-4 weeks the strike affects the prices of goods (food, tv’s, cars, etc…) then people will listen to the lies of Trump and the right even more when they blame her for this happenin

I think the cake is mostly baked there-Trump will blame Harris regardless and his voters will follow suit.  

Harris actually has the potential to message this as “the higher prices you see because of the strike are just a taste of what you’re going to see under the Trump tariff plan.”  Her voters will agree with it and the media will run with whatever they think gets their viewers pissed off enough to watch more pundits blathering.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

With our luck, Trump will be at the Texas v. Georgia game with Ted Cruz.

@immamac please don't ban me for what I'm about to say.

But @South Austin you sir, can eat a bag of bob stoops dicks and respectfully die in a fire for even saying this!

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Waltz going on a ‘pop culture’ podcast as part of his media blitz. Sounds like it is recording in California, so not Rogan. 

Sheeesh Walz going on Talk Tuah?

Cygnal (R) has Trump only up 51-45 in Iowa. Shockingly weak and could have down ballot effects in 2 congressional districts. 

It’s October, so the late month Selzer poll should tell the story, but this is only 2 off her September margin for Trump. Iowa shifting a few points left could mean the same for the Blue Wall 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, kevwun said:

Their entire strategy is to funnel as much of the campaign money as possible in to the Trump family coffers.

From my perspective in PA as a 40 year old, middle class, suburban, white male, registered independent, I get FAR more messaging from Trump than from Harris. TV ads are probably 2-1. YouTube ads are probably 10-1. I get a physical mailer every single day. Those are probably 80% anti Harris, 20% anti Casey. I haven’t gotten a single mailer from the Dem candidates. 

There is absolutely zero pro Trump messaging. The message that I get bombarded with constantly is that there are marauding hordes of illegal immigrant criminals pillaging the country raping and murdering everyone while also getting everyone addicted to fentanyl, and Kamala is in favor of it. Somehow they’re also stealing everyone’s jobs, driving up the cost of homes, food, and healthcare. Also bob casey is responsible for inflation. 

They may not have people on the ground, but they are absolutely making sure people see their message. 

Edited by heso
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

We seriously need some real campaign finance reform in this country. When Walz was announced I bought a yard sign and gave a little on top and ever since I get a dozen texts and emails every single day just begging for me to give a little bit more. I can definitely see people who don’t follow politics much but found a reason this cycle to give $25 being completely turned off and reverting to a “both sides” mentality because it really does feel just about money. No wonder voter participation in this country is so low.

Never given to a big charity have you?

"Oh, I like charity... let me send them $25"

Charity proceeds to spend $50 sending me mailers asking for more.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

From my perspective in PA as a 40 year old, middle class, suburban, white male, registered independent, I get FAR more messaging from Trump than from Harris. TV ads are probably 2-1. YouTube ads are probably 10-1. I get a physical mailer every single day. Those are probably 80% anti Harris, 20% anti Casey. I haven’t gotten a single mailer from the Dem candidates. 
There is absolutely zero pro Trump messaging. The message that I get bombarded with constantly is that there are marauding hordes of illegal immigrant criminals pillaging the country raping and murdering everyone while also getting everyone addicted to fentanyl, and Kamala is in favor of it. Somehow they’re also stealing everyone’s jobs, driving up the cost of homes, food, and healthcare. Also bob casey is responsible for inflation. 
They may not have people on the ground, but they are absolutely making sure people see their message. 

You’re not exactly the Democrats target audience - and like me (46, white, and live in the neighborhood where gov wheels went door knocking) - will not get much, if any effort at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cygnal (R) has Trump only up 51-45 in Iowa. Shockingly weak and could have down ballot effects in 2 congressional districts. 

It’s October, so the late month Selzer poll should tell the story, but this is only 2 off her September margin for Trump. Iowa shifting a few points left could mean the same for the Blue Wall 

I don't want to start drinking coolaid, but it again tells me that maybe pollsters are herding in swing states.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I don't want to start drinking coolaid, but it again tells me that maybe pollsters are herding in swing states.

I want to see what Selzer says.

And Iowa is not a swing state.  

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

We seriously need some real campaign finance reform in this country. When Walz was announced I bought a yard sign and gave a little on top and ever since I get a dozen texts and emails every single day just begging for me to give a little bit more. I can definitely see people who don’t follow politics much but found a reason this cycle to give $25 being completely turned off and reverting to a “both sides” mentality because it really does feel just about money. No wonder voter participation in this country is so low.

I get five or six messages a day and multiple emails. It has seriously made me regret giving to any campaign. They need to dial that shit down.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think that’s his point. If Iowa is going a little towards Harris, what are the odds that the swing states aren’t doing the same?

Fair enough.  I read it wrong. 

There's evidence via the WA primary that Dems were clawing back a point or two in the rurals, which would show up in states like Iowa - no big urban populations. 

Another evidence in the WA primary that wasn't talked about - Dems made significant gains in the primarily Hispanic precincts from 2020/2022.  Of course, PNW Hispanics aren't like NV/AZ Hispanics who aren't like TX/FL/GA Hispanics who aren't like NY/NJ/PA Hispanics.

But all of the little data bits don't point to a close election.  I do truly think Harris is going to win 6 out of 7 of the swing states (and maybe sweep). 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I'd like for mega-donor and corporate sponsorship of politicians to be banned.  Then I'd be fine with being bludgeoned by fundraising texts by politicians every hour.

Somehow around 2020 my number ended up being associated with my grandfather on the GQP lists, so I get them from bOtH sIDeS. It's very on brand that almost every Dem text I get is multiple paragraphs and goes into the minutia of the FEC filing deadline, blah blah blah; while the Trump ones are almost always one to two sensationalized sentences like "FROM TRUMP: THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!!!" followed by a link.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do truly think Harris is going to win 6 out of 7 of the swing states (and maybe sweep). 

I think it's going to mostly look just like 2020, with Georgia and NC being up in the air. The blue wall states and Nevada put her at 276, and I'm pretty sure she's gonna win all of those. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Somehow around 2020 my number ended up being associated with my grandfather on the GQP lists, so I get them from bOtH sIDeS. It's very on brand that almost every Dem text I get is multiple paragraphs and goes into the minutia of the FEC filing deadline, blah blah blah; while the Trump ones are almost always one to two sensationalized sentences like "FROM TRUMP: THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!!!" followed by a link.

That's pretty funny, damn near a parody of itself