2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

22 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

This Cheung asshole is really a fucking prick. Ugly motherfucker too.  I wonder how many times his boss has used racial slurs to describe him. 

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Stephen Jackson and Matt Barnes? Damn, anyone with any level of fame can be podcasters these days, huh?

Johnathon Alter is a Jimmy Carter biographer, and political commentator.  His dipshit son is a nobody, but he's got a podcast centered on the NBA and he's making a ton of dough with it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

60 Minutes is typically the 1st or 2nd highest rated non-sports show on network TV. So yeah, people still watch it. It also rates higher than any Fox News program. Last season it averaged 8 million viewers. Steven Cheung is a fat piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This Cheung asshole is really a fucking prick. Ugly motherfucker too.  I wonder how many times his boss has used racial slurs to describe him. 

Johnathon Alter is a Jimmy Carter biographer, and political commentator.  His dipshit son is a nobody, but he's got a podcast centered on the NBA and he's making a ton of dough with it. 

Alter's biography of Carter is good reading. He's not as talented a writer as, say, Caro or McCullough, but his style complements the overall vibe of Carter's life well.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know this isn't a new thought, but it was a reminder to me of a larger problem than Trump/MAGA that affects everyone.

One of my closest friends (a lifelong contrarian and conspiratorial thinker) sent me a tweet showing Kamala on her plane in a photo op where she is accused of a staged photo writing on blank pieces of paper with her earbuds not plugged in to her phone. The tweeter said it reminded them of a scene from VEEP. My friend knows how much I love VEEP (he's never seen it) and it was a truly lighthearted text he expected I would laugh at. He knows I'm very liberal and we usually chat about sports, but there was nothing nefarious.

What I got out of it the most is my friend and I are consuming completely different information. I'm sure if I grabbed his phone and scanned his Twitter feed, there would be ZERO crossover politically. Modern technology has completely removed the media monoculture we experienced in the 20th century. We all sit here incredulous that people can be pro-Trump based on his media clips and everything else. But I'd bet that the vast majority of his people don't see what we see. And vice versa. I know I'm on the "right" side of this election, but 95% of what I consume is showing Kamala/Dems in the best light. I notice the half-truths and out of context BS from Dem accounts, and it's pretty frustrating, but it's clearly WAY worse on the right.

It's such a dangerous way for society to receive and process information. Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, MSM, podcasts...the algorithm will only feed you what you want to hear. And I don't see a realistic solution. It seems it will only get worse. 

It's not a new thought, and I share it.

But I one add one thing: the era of the "media monoculture," as you describe it, was really very brief.  It lasted from roughly 1925 to roughly 2010.  Before 1925, there was no mass media.  People got their information from local newspapers, word of mouth, and just made-up bullshit.  You had newspaper moguls like William Randolph Hearst who were able to move public opinion on major national issues.  And you had newspapers expressly backed by the political parties.  But apart from that, people lived in their own bubble getting the information to which they made a conscious effort to expose themselves.

And ok--maybe that wasn't great.  I mean, we had a civil war.

But for most of the history of democracy in America and elsewhere, that's how it has always been.  

• Hook 'Em 3

An interesting note from the new Jack Smith filing: He argues that FBI experts have mapped out what Donald Trump was doing on his phone during the Capitol Riot and that, at trial, a forensic examiner could testify about logs that show Trump “was using his phone, and in particular, was using the Twitter application, consistently throughout the day after he returned from the Ellipse speech.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

60 Minutes is typically the 1st or 2nd highest rated non-sports show on network TV. So yeah, people still watch it. It also rates higher than any Fox News program. Last season it averaged 8 million viewers. Steven Cheung is a fat piece of shit. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not a new thought, and I share it.

But I one add one thing: the era of the "media monoculture," as you describe it, was really very brief.  It lasted from roughly 1925 to roughly 2010.  Before 1925, there was no mass media.  People got their information from local newspapers, word of mouth, and just made-up bullshit.  You had newspaper moguls like William Randolph Hearst who were able to move public opinion on major national issues.  And you had newspapers expressly backed by the political parties.  But apart from that, people lived in their own bubble getting the information to which they made a conscious effort to expose themselves.

And ok--maybe that wasn't great.  I mean, we had a civil war.

But for most of the history of democracy in America and elsewhere, that's how it has always been.  

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the Spanish Flu vs. Covid 19.  I would imagine that it was more uniformed 100 years ago, despite the lack of general science literacy.  But that is just a guess. 

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the Spanish Flu vs. Covid 19.  I would imagine that it was more uniformed 100 years ago, despite the lack of general science literacy.  But that is just a guess. 

It was censored at first due to the war.

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It was censored at first due to the war.

IIRC, that is how it got its name.  Probably started in the US, but censored.  The first reporting was from Spain.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

a forensic examiner could testify about logs that show Trump “was using his phone, and in particular, was using the Twitter application, consistently throughout the day after he returned from the Ellipse speech.”

we_got_him.gif

Legal xitter is so stupid.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Must be Republicans for Kamala day:

New ad ft Pence, Milley, Bolton, Esper

Harris campaign launches new GOP outreach group in Georgia

Former Georgia Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan is headlining a new campaign effort to motivate Republican skeptics of former President Donald Trump to back Vice President Kamala Harris in November.

Duncan will join former U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh of Illinois in Roswell on Thursday to launch the Republicans for Harris in Georgia initiative. They’ll be joined at the event by Baoky Vu, a Georgia GOP elector who resigned in 2016 rather than cast a ballot for Trump.

• Hook 'Em 8

The reason I feel that Harris is definitely going to win is that I’ve never in my lifetime seen members of the opposing party supporting a candidate at this level. I feel like the never-trumpers this cycle should at least offset or possibly even exceed the trump-only cultists.

• Hook 'Em 1