2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

My mom has been able to stay in her home due to in-home health care and avoid going to a nursing home. Luckily, my father bought a long term health policy that covers about 50% of the in-home service. The rest comes from her retirement savings, pension, social security. Medicare paying a portion of that would be great. 

But I guess I should just do the Bill Whitaker 60 Minutes response which is "but how are you going to get it through Congress". That really annoyed me about his interview with her. So I guess we should just vote for Trump because he has more of a chance to get things through Congress? Somehow Biden was able to get a lot of shit through this stupid ass Congress. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

My mom has been able to stay in her home due to in-home health care and avoid going to a nursing home. Luckily, my father bought a long term health policy that covers about 50% of the in-home service. The rest comes from her retirement savings, pension, social security. Medicare paying a portion of that would be great. 

But I guess I should just do the Bill Whitaker 60 Minutes response which is "but how are you going to get it through Congress". That really annoyed me about his interview with her. So I guess we should just vote for Trump because he has more of a chance to get things through Congress? Somehow Biden was able to get a lot of shit through this stupid ass Congress. 

No one asks Trump how he’s paying for a national deportation force or a pregnancy database that monitors interstate travel of pregnant women or this or that. 

The answer is same for either party - you win a majority in both chambers and pass it. Duh. 

Bill Whitaker was being extremely antagonizing about that. “How do you pay for it?” uh idk Bill, taxing the top earners that has been discussed for 4 fucking years 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

That’s what Kamala should have said. “Well we know republicans only care about the top 1%, so we need Americans to vote Democrat so we take the House, Senate, and Presidency so we can get this done for regular Americans”

As to the question regarding racists and trump, I would have said, “Look I don’t believe all of his supporters are racist, but I do believe all racists are supporting him”

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What’s so crazy about Maricopa County?

The Republican Party of AZ is batshit crazy.  They make Texas Republicans look moderate.  It's because those people like the in actual desert.  Not Phoenix, but the actual real desert middle of nowhere.

He has said before the DEM Firewall needs to be like ~390,000 for the presidential level and ~350,000 at the senate level for Dems to feel good. 

That's 1/4 of the firewall with 4 weeks to go.

Yeah, his post yesterday, when the firewall was about ~74k, said Dems would feel good heading into Election Day with ~390k (for president) and 350k (for the Senate race).  4 weeks is a long time to pump that number up - it was just shy of 20% yesterday and now it is at 29% a day later.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, his post yesterday, when the firewall was about ~74k, said Dems would feel good heading into Election Day with ~390k (for president) and 350k (for the Senate race).  4 weeks is a long time to pump that number up - it was just shy of 20% yesterday and now it is at 29% a day later.

I just did like ten seconds of googling and see that Pennsylvania calls their early voting "in person mail ballot" voting and what the fuck does that mean? 

Trump could appear on stage drinking the blood of Christian Children screaming 'Hail Satan' and it would make no difference at this point. If you are still going to vote for him after everything he has done, I hardly see how him potentially passing on secrets to Russia is going to move the needle.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I just did like ten seconds of googling and see that Pennsylvania calls their early voting "in person mail ballot" voting and what the fuck does that mean? 

It is when you fill out your mail in ballot and deliver it in person.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

If you are a registered Pennsylvania voter, you have the convenient option of applying for a mail ballot in person at their county elections office, then completing the ballot while there. In one visit, voters can apply for and submit their mail ballot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/10/08/harris-medicare-home-care-seniors-00182782

Another policy being introduced today

The vice president will propose establishing a home care benefit through Medicare focused on helping families afford the cost of caring for seniors at home instead of in nursing facilities, according to a senior campaign official granted anonymity to share details of the proposal.

The senior official said the proposal would help older Americans age at home and avoid the costs of in-facility care, which can be thousands of dollars more a month than in-home care. The benefit would cover the costs of various home care services, including in-home health aides.

Harris will also use her appearance on “The View” to appeal to the so-called sandwich generation, the roughly quarter of Americans who are both raising children and caring for aging parents — and that Harris campaign data shows contains a large percentage of remaining undecided voters, the campaign official said.

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Working in Home Health, this is something that really moves the needle for me since I see families struggling with this everyday. I also see it on the horizon for myself as my parents get older. I don’t think people realize how important this is

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Elder care is such a mess.  Ignoring all the stress and challenges in health care, and just focused on money: It amazes me how many folks are strongly opposed to the estate tax, but have no idea what affect elder care has on middle class generational wealth.  

I like the concept but we're getting to the point of raising our credit card limit so we can go to the mall later today. I'm in favor of adding to necessary govt services but we never want to address the costs. Most likely the only way to get this proposal passed is to give the Republicans a tax break. Receive less in tax revenue and spend more. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I like the concept but we're getting to the point of raising our credit card limit so we can go to the mall later today. I'm in favor of adding to necessary govt services but we never want to address the costs. Most likely the only way to get this proposal passed is to give the Republicans a tax break. Receive less in tax revenue and spend more. 

We'll see what the proposal actually looks like, but by its summary term, this is the key point: "The vice president will propose establishing a home care benefit through Medicare focused on helping families afford the cost of caring for seniors at home instead of in nursing facilities."

We already spend a shitload of Medicare dollars on elder care.  We just spend those dollars in nursing facilities.  If we can spend similar dollars on home health care, often with better care, outcomes, and dignity, that would be a really good move.  Even if it was a 1 for 1, and folks with even moderate means could supplement the benefit to pay for home health option, that would be big.

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Shut up Lou Holtz said:

Fucking mind bottling. He’s never heard of a cat 5 hurricane… the best people 

Nothing the least bit surprising about that. He’s an unqualified moron who has no business in a position of power. He’s uninformed and incurious. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully this will be costs instead of money going to private equity companies nursing homes.

But man just giving money to Americans gets abused pretty fast. I would hope most of it would end up going to elder care.

49 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We'll see what the proposal actually looks like, but by its summary term, this is the key point: "The vice president will propose establishing a home care benefit through Medicare focused on helping families afford the cost of caring for seniors at home instead of in nursing facilities."

We already spend a shitload of Medicare dollars on elder care.  We just spend those dollars in nursing facilities.  If we can spend similar dollars on home health care, often with better care, outcomes, and dignity, that would be a really good move.  Even if it was a 1 for 1, and folks with even moderate means could supplement the benefit to pay for home health option, that would be big.

Exactly - I would guess when this is scored that it’s actually cheaper to care for Seniors in their homes as it eliminates all of the facility costs associated with nursing homes.

On the "Trump sending Covid tests to Russia" thing, just to be clear, these were not the little litmus test strips.  These were the testing machines.  To the dictator of a country who was under heavy sanctions.  

What Trump secretly sent to Putin

The book also contains new details about Trump’s relationship with the Russian president. In 2020, Woodward writes, Trump had “secretly sent Putin a bunch of Abbott Point of Care Covid test machines for his personal use.”

During the height of the pandemic, Russia and the United States did exchange medical equipment such as ventilators. But Putin — who infamously isolated himself over fears of Covid — told Trump on a phone call to keep the delivery of the Abbott machines quiet, Woodward reports.

“Please don’t tell anybody you sent these to me,” Putin said to Trump, according to Woodward.

“I don’t care,” Trump replied. “Fine.”

“No, no,” Putin said. “I don’t want you to tell anybody because people will get mad at you, not me. They don’t care about me.”

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Is that a real statement? Internet comment sections have become the standard for all communication.

If so, Trump has instructed his communications' director to write whatever he says verbatim, no need to try to punch it up.

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Goddamn this fucking infuriates me. As a resident of Scottsdale I’ve followed this somewhat. But reading this level of detail really pisses me off.

I knew Arizona was crazy, but that 60 minutes segment was fucking nuts. And the people these crazy Rs flock to and follow are such pathetic nobodys.