2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The elections in this country are so fucked. I've completely come around to the idea that taxpayer dollars should fund candidate elections equally, and that's fucking it. We need to outlaw political commericals, we need to outlaw all fucking social media advertising. Campaigning should be rallies, town hall interviews, and fucking debates, and those should be posted unedited and aired on telivision live and in replays over and over, and that should fucking be it. Crack down on most of the ways to fucking lie easily. Fuck. 

And no more goddamn fucking signs in the Public ROW. Private property only.

Never happening though.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We need to outlaw political commercials, we need to outlaw all fucking social media advertising. Campaigning should be rallies, town hall interviews, and fucking debates, and those should be posted unedited and aired on television live and in replays over and over, and that should fucking be it.

Just heard an interview of Yuval Noah Harari (I liked his book, Sapiens).  He was making this point.  Arguing that having all the information you can possibly get will lead you to the truth is like arguing that eating all the food you can possibly eat is healthy.  The ethical curators of information have given in to the flood of AI curated information - true and false.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

"The more I watch Michael Jordan highlights the more it appears he was a below average player. Just dribbles around and throws it in the air sometimes. The Bulls must regret having drafted him."

That's what these people sound like. Words without context, support, or meaning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Biden +70 

He’s not even trying anymore 

Is he trying to get his supporters killed by holding a rally in such a “hellhole” where “MURDERS & VIOLENT CRIME HIT UNIMAGINABLE RECORDS!”

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Piers Morgan is relevant to the discourse in 2024 the way that Milton Berle was “Mr Television” in 1979. 

Counterpoint:   Milton was still packing a weapon of mass destruction in 1979, so he had that going for him.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"The more I watch Michael Jordan highlights the more it appears he was a below average player. Just dribbles around and throws it in the air sometimes. The Bulls must regret having drafted him."

That's what these people sound like. Words without context, support, or meaning.

Like a commentator the week of the Texas-UTSA game. "The more I watch Texas highlights the less impressed I am. Texas must be kicking themselves for hiring Sark."

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Heard her on Stern yesterday.  I want to dispel the notion that Harris is a Boomer.  She said she liked hip hop and Doug liked Depeche Mode but they both liked Prince.

Gen X in the house....

Whatever 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Brandywine said:

Perfect! What a horrible person. He has all the looks and character of someone who would have been in Hitler's core leadership group. 

Except his wife is Jewish

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Years ago I saw some R congressman say, "The problem with Obamacare is it doesn't work."

Nothing more than that.  No explanation, no backup, no statistics.  Just some guy from Oklahoma or Alabama saying what he's been lobbied to say.

23 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Adding some numbers to that. If 36% of the 158,672 people that voted for Haley in the PA primary vote for Harris, that’s 57,121 votes. Biden’s margin of victory in 2020 was 80,555. 

it would be over 100,000 votes in Michigan. 90,000 votes in NC. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

37 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Heard her on Stern yesterday.  I want to dispel the notion that Harris is a Boomer.  She said she liked hip hop and Doug liked Depeche Mode but they both liked Prince.

Gen X in the house....

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Edited by Bateshorn

I'm pretty sure Dotard and Melanie have been seen together once this entire campaign, and that was at the convention. The absolute media firestorm that would result if we just never ever saw Doug is fun to imagine. "What are they hiding???"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This assumes a 1:1 correlation between party and vote right?  Or maybe uses historical crossover numbers?  

Yes. And does not include the indies number. It’s just D-R 

Ralston does the same - assumes a 95% retention rate for each party, I think. It’ll never be 100%

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Slacks said:

"They changed it after."

Yeah. They can just say whatever they want and you can never prove them wrong because they will just quickly pivot to the next lie.

But bless that dude's heart for thinking keeping receipts might make a difference.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oh the irony of saying Harris is word salad bilge next to Trump

JD Vance went pure Porky Pig when asked why black people should vote for him and Trump 

Uh, uh, um, but, uh, um…there’s black people in the crowd 

They had to develop a Trump filter to make sense of his ramblings.  They use it so much, they never turn it off, and anyone talking coherently just won't compute in that filter.  

34 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What makes me ragey about this election (and others) is Americans are so stupid they can’t see that 4 men who aren’t even American are trying to run, and ruin, this country:

Musk

Theil

Murdoch

Putin

Pretty much like Texas and all it's carpetbaggers

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Trump bitches about immigrants all they time and is married to one.  JD Vance hates brown people and is married to one.  See a pattern here?

Dammit, I hate hot, sexy, rich women who adore me.

Now, we wait . . . 

• Haha 2

Was it last year and this year when certain races for Congress, judges, local officials in certain states showed Ds way outperforming polls?  I'm trying to remember.  I feel like there was a period where you would see someone polling maybe 4 points and then they'd win by 8 or something like that.

Also, I know nothing at all about this race... this is NY 4 but how are races like this happening?

I guess this is a seat that flipped last election but looks to flip back?

image.thumb.png.6365241cc277b8bbd9504789dbe3d961.png

image.thumb.png.348626c63f0bb97d71015cd412e07cf3.png

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Was it last year and this year when certain races for Congress, judges, local officials in certain states showed Ds way outperforming polls?  I'm trying to remember.  I feel like there was a period where you would see someone polling maybe 4 points and then they'd win by 8 or something like that.

Also, I know nothing at all about this race... this is NY 4 but how are races like this happening?

2022 was supposed to be some big red wave and it was barely a trickle.  

A few safe blue states, like NY and CA, split their tickets because the state had already or was in the processing of codifying abortion protection statewide, so they didn't feel like they had to vote blue downballot.  Quite a few races lost in NY and CA were actually the difference in the House flipping in 2022. In NY specifically, the GOP candidate for governor had coattails. 

But also the Dems were really strong in a midterm in the midwest, compared to the Sunbelt and NY/CA. 

They will probably flip back.  NY-4/17/19 are all toss-up seats held by the GOP and NY-22 is already lean Dem by Cook Political.  Same with CA-13/22/27/41/45. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

image.thumb.png.6365241cc277b8bbd9504789dbe3d961.png

image.thumb.png.348626c63f0bb97d71015cd412e07cf3.png

IMHO, what pollsters are struggling with is what you posted plus the "Trump only" voters who only show up when he's on the ballot. What's worse is many of this crowd will only vote for Trump and leave the rest of the ballot blank.

13 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Welp, that’s enough internet for today 

Matador?  Meaning he waves a red cape in front of women and infuriates them?  He dodges their advances?  

Didn't he mean predator?

stephen-miller-cs-239p-2814146.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IMHO, what pollsters are struggling with is what you posted plus the "Trump only" voters who only show up when he's on the ballot. What's worse is many of this crowd will only vote for Trump and leave the rest of the ballot blank.

Pressing more than one button is hard. Learning about why you would press other buttons is even harder.

NYTimes polling data has Florida at +13 Trump. People actually believe this nonsense? Republicans were +5 in 2004 and +4 in 2020. There hasn't been a 10 point swing for the Florida winner in over 30 years. I expect Trump to win Florida but not by that margin lol

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

NYTimes polling data has Florida at +13 Trump. People actually believe this nonsense? Republicans were +5 in 2004 and +4 in 2020. There hasn't been a 10 point swing for the Florida winner in over 30 years. I expect Trump to win Florida but not by that margin lol

It's an outlier, and the NYT publishing it is good for the industry. You want them to publish outliers, instead of herding all the polls into the same margins as other pollsters.  That's also a huge concern right now with every swing state somehow tied/+1 for each candidate.

Now there is the discussion of Florida/Texas/Montana/Idaho/Arizona becoming redder at the expense of other more traditional swing states in the Midwest and the west coast becoming bluer due to migration.  You have liberal voters migrating out of Texas/FL and into WA/OR/CO/NC, turning them slightly bluer, and more conservative voters moving out of MI/PA/WI/CA/NY and into FL/TX/AZ/MT and making them slightly redder.

• Hook 'Em 1