2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

No, but she's spent way too much time on the campaign trail focusing on all the conservatives who love her. Trying to appeal to conservatives is a waste of time. It didn't work for Hillary and I'm terrified it will backfire on Kamala. She locked up the Nevertrumper vote long ago.

The other Hillary strategy that I find to be a mistake is turning the election into a referendum on Trump. The recent messaging has been about 50% criticizing Trump and 50% "this is what I support." People are tired of Trump, and I think people begin to tune out when you talk about him, which is bad if your goal is to motivate people to vote.

Hell I wish she'd go further. "If you want to live in a democracy with elections, then vote for me. If you want to be ruled by a convicted felon and rapist, vote for him."

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, chainsaw said:

This should be a blowout, dude

It won't be.  It was never going to be.  And that has nothing to do with who the Dems run.

It has everything to do with how basically and essentially shitty we are as a country and society.

Liberal Jesus himself could run against Trump, and Trump would get 47% of the vote.  

No minds will be changed.  All anyone can do is play the turnout game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

No, but she's spent way too much time on the campaign trail focusing on all the conservatives who love her. Trying to appeal to conservatives is a waste of time. It didn't work for Hillary and I'm terrified it will backfire on Kamala. She locked up the Nevertrumper vote long ago.

The other Hillary strategy that I find to be a mistake is turning the election into a referendum on Trump. The recent messaging has been about 50% criticizing Trump and 50% "this is what I support." People are tired of Trump, and I think people begin to tune out when you talk about him, which is bad if your goal is to motivate people to vote.

You're really hearing what you want to hear then. The appeal to conservatives is to help them realize it's okay to vote for her if they truly value country over party. Having them either vote for her or abstain helps keep Trump out office, which is the only thing that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, kevwun said:

It should be if this country was filled by smart people, but it's not.  She can't magically conjure voters up.

The last 2 elections should have been blowouts.

We are too deeply divided - there may never be another "blowout" election until we finally come to blows.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, kevwun said:

It should be if this country was filled with smart people, but it's not.  She can't magically conjure voters up.

I get that we live in an Idiocracy but even taking that into consideration I think she's underperforming.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I get that we live in an Idiocracy but even taking that into consideration I think she's underperforming.

Perhaps. I don't really know what a strong performance by her looks like though. I have a few nitpicks but overall I think she has done well in what she has control over.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Fill in the blank for me:

Repudiating the Cheney/Haley endorsements would not have helped with progressives, but accepting them was a waste of time because with that free time she could have done ___________ which would have captured the progressive wing.

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm not having this argument about 2 polls that will probably be near the bottom of the averages in a week after we get 5 more of them of varying margins between now and next week. 

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I just want to see the data that supports the strategy of pretending Dick Cheney wasn't a complete piece of shit.

I want to see the data that says giving Independants who don't think like you permission to pull the D lever was a bad thing. You wave your farts around like they're truth and demand data, we can do the same thing. So where's your date? I'll also take data that Your Views represent The Democratic Base. 

12 minutes ago, Foosters said:

To understand your point, she should have repudiated their endorsements? And that would have captured the progressive wing? 

I'd like an answer to this statement directly, honestly. 

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Has she? How much time has she spent exactly. I'd like the see The Data that you claim exists. Hell, I'll accept a list of conservatives and the time she's spent. You realize Liz Cheney going on a TV program by herself and campaigning for Harris doesn't actually cost the Harris campaign any time, right? 

And again, this isn't the NeverTrumper Vote. It's the D curious vote. Huge difference. 

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Tell me you've never had a bad overly enthusiastic blowjob without telling me you've never had a bad overly enthusiastic blowjob

Yeah, but did you cum?

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This should be a blowout, dude

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

If you can’t understand why this isn’t a blowout and why it was never going to be, you should probably go have a talk with a therapist.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

because with that free time she could have done ___________ which would have captured the progressive wing.

you musta missed my medicare for all, full UBI, and march and chant with Palestinian protesters suggestion.  That's the bar.  She didn't clear it.  Therefore, the purity test progressives hate her.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I know nothing about satellite radio ratings, but I'm gonna guess that Howard Stern isn't "low rated". 

"A lot of people are saying he is. All the satellite radio experts say it. Some tremendous people say he's very nasty too. Believe me, I have a lot of money. It's incredible really. He's a huge loser."

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Repudiating the Cheney/Haley endorsements would not could have helped with progressives. Accepting them was a waste of time because with that free time she could have campaigned with popular, trusted progressive figures in swing states which would have captured energized the progressive wing base.

FTFY.

I think the campaign event in Wisconsin making a big deal of the Cheney endorsement was a waste of time. She could have accepted the endorsement with a short video. Wasting a whole campaign day is bad strategy.

• Like 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Chainsaw, you're being a fucking idiot man.

Minor correction for you.

He does this all the time.  Progressive purity test bullshit, with zero self-awareness of how he is the mirror image of Trump cultists yelling "RINO!" at anyone who hasn't sworn 100% fealty to their god king.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

By what metric. Please show the supporting data that this should be a blowout. Sadly, as we often have to point out to republicans, their fucking feelings aren't Data, and neither are yours. 

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Chainsaw, you're being a fucking idiot man.

Well, it's been a few weeks of him being mostly normal. I suppose it was about time for him to start flinging shit around the room. You can almost set your clock to it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not having this argument about 2 polls that will probably be near the bottom of the averages in a week after we get 5 more of them of varying margins between now and next week. 

There's also the Slotkin story from last week.

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think the campaign event in Wisconsin making a big deal of the Cheney endorsement was a waste of time. She could have accepted the endorsement with a short video. Wasting a whole campaign day is bad strategy.

So you think she should have spent her time that one day differently. Great. Noted. Let's move on.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Red Five said:

So you think she should have spent her time that one day differently. Great. Noted. Let's move on.

We'll see if the podcasts and interviews have any impact. I wish she had more disciplined messaging about the policy proposals, especially the Medicare stuff. It plays.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

By what metric. Please show the supporting data that this should be a blowout. Sadly, as we often have to point out to republicans, their fucking feelings aren't Data, and neither are yours. 

There is no data to support a blowout election. The country is split: 33% Democratic, 31% Leaners, and 32% GQP.

image.png.9e647fb55e0bf21803fde9856d381b5e.png

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Well like it or not, this race is much closer than it should be. So, yeah, I'm going to criticize her strategy. This kind of performance is unacceptable.

She started out way behind, because Biden.  She may or may not win, but that may have nothing to do with her "strategy" or some sort of strategic shortcomings.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

She started out way behind, because Biden.  She may or may not win, but that may have nothing to do with her "strategy" or some sort of strategic shortcomings.

At the time he dropped out, polls showed Generic D beating Trump by 3, and Shapiro beating Trump by about 11 in PA. I'd like to see her exceeding those numbers.

At the time he dropped out, polls showed Generic D beating Trump by 3, and Shapiro beating Trump by about 11 in PA. I'd like to see her exceeding those numbers.

Link please.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is like when your wife wakes up mad at you for something you did in her dream.

Last night, I got us into a car crash and tried to cover her up with dirt when someone came to investigate.

Fortunately, I was with the toddler while she was with the newborn, so she had cooled off by the time I heard of my misdeeds an hour after she woke up. Close call.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

On the flip side, if she hadn't caved to Progressive wing and instead picked Shapiro I think she'd be in a stronger position overall.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Conqueeftador said:

On the flip side, if she hadn't caved to Progressive wing and instead picked Shapiro I think she'd be in a stronger position overall.

In PA you're probably right. In Wisconsin/Michigan though Walz had higher favorables. There were other liabilities with Shapiro including his support for school vouchers and the scandal with that suicide investigation

3 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

A day spent in Wisconsin, a swing state. People bitch about Hillary’s strategy, but then here’s Kamala doing the exact opposite and it’s still wrong. 

No, she should do a rally in Kansas soon and then a big closing weekend at Lucas Oil stadium! 

(The equivalent of Trump's rallies in Coachella and MSG)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

A day spent in Wisconsin, a swing state. People bitch about Hillary’s strategy, but then here’s Kamala doing the exact opposite and it’s still wrong. 

The problem I see is her priorities. She was in a 96% white county that Trump won in 2020 by 15k votes.

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

Ok? You don’t see the strategy in slicing off some of that %? 

I do see it, and I think it's as stupid as a Greg Davis slow-developing sideways pass.

Much better to drive turnout in Detroit and Milwaukee.

I do see it, and I think it's as stupid as a Greg Davis slow-developing sideways pass.

Much better to drive turnout in Detroit and Milwaukee.

They might also be doing that.