2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

21 minutes ago, Conqueeftador said:

On the flip side, if she hadn't caved to Progressive wing and instead picked Shapiro I think she'd be in a stronger position overall.

So should she be energizing the base or appealing to the center?

I guess the answer to both is yes and no

Edited by Valmy77

44 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

FTFY.

I think the campaign event in Wisconsin making a big deal of the Cheney endorsement was a waste of time. She could have accepted the endorsement with a short video. Wasting a whole campaign day is bad strategy.

Agreed.

I cringed when she gave a shout-out to Dick at that rally. Nobody likes Dick Cheney and all Democrats HATE him. Unforced error.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

I just want to see the data that supports the strategy of pretending Dick Cheney wasn't a complete piece of shit.

I want to see where she has promised Liz Cheney or Dick Cheney fuck all. She’s basically out there saying “these people don’t agree with me on anything and are voting for me. What does that tell you?”  I don’t see a lick of quid pro who.  Quit hand wringing

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Quit hand wringing

Qpac is a good pollster, and those are bad numbers. I'd rather see Kamala win than see the Longhorns win CFP, so yeah I'm going to be concerned. Conservatives are not to be trusted and usually come home in November. I am not comfortable with a strategy that places any amount of trust in them as a voting bloc.

3 hours ago, heso said:

Adding some numbers to that. If 36% of the 158,672 people that voted for Haley in the PA primary vote for Harris, that’s 57,121 votes. Biden’s margin of victory in 2020 was 80,555. 

it would be over 100,000 votes in Michigan. 90,000 votes in NC. 

Problem with Michigan is the Arab American diaspora is sitting this one out. I have a coworker who's family lives in Michigan, and they HATE the Biden Administration. Of course they also HATE Trump. So that's why there's the uncommitted movement in Michigan.

In 2020, the more of the Muslims in Michigan voted for Biden instead of Trump. If they sit out this one, it could hurt Harris more than Trump.

3 minutes ago, Superhero said:

In 2020, the more of the Muslims in Michigan voted for Biden instead of Trump. If they sit out this one, it could hurt Harris more than Trump.

Leopards.

Eating.

People's.

Faces.

The dumbest fucking strategy.  "I'll make everyone, INCLUDING ME AND MINE, ingest deadly poison!  That'll show em!"

The outcome:

jonestowntdih.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Problem with Michigan is the Arab American diaspora is sitting this one out. I have a coworker who's family lives in Michigan, and they HATE the Biden Administration. Of course they also HATE Trump. So that's why there's the uncommitted movement in Michigan.

It’s definitely going to be a factor. Registered Muslim voters in 2020 was 206,050. Turnout in 2020 was 145,620 (71%). Up from 108,419 in 2016 where the MOV for Trump was 10,704. 

I can’t wrap my head around a protest non-vote that could give the win to a party that despises you.

Writing in uncommitted in the primary, ok, send your message. Sitting out the general election to help Trump sends no message and moves the country away from policies that would be beneficial to the things that are important to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, heso said:

I can’t wrap my head around a protest non-vote that could give the win to a party that despises you.

Because Trumpkins aren't the only people for whom hatred and rage are more important than voting for your interests, and actually support voting AGAINST your interests.

It's stupid and counter-productive in the extreme, so, yeah....that's kinda what we do 'round here these days.  Fucking idiots.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because Trumpkins aren't the only people for whom hatred and rage are more important than voting for your interests, and actually support voting AGAINST your interests.

It's stupid and counter-productive in the extreme, so, yeah....that's kinda what we do 'round here these days.  Fucking idiots.

They are American citizens, who have been afforded the opportunities to be successful, raise families, and not be under constant threat every single day of their lives.

And they want to throw it all away as a temper tantrum.  They "WHAT ABOUT???" everything - American women will be safer under a Harris presidency.  WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN IN GAZA AND LEBANON?  Kamala Harris and a Dem congress will codify Roe v Wade and ensure women have the right to choose their own reproductive healthcare outcomes.  WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN AND BABIES IN GAZA BEING MURDERED BY KAMALA HARRIS?????

• Hook 'Em 3

Centrists punching left is not helpful to the cause. 

Harris has the centrists and never-trumpers locked up. While there is no reason to alienate the Dick Cheney for Kamala voters, there is also no reason to treat Dick Cheney as an angel.  I welcome his support.  I laud his daughter for standing up to Trump.  But no intelligent Republican can possibly defend a vote for Trump in 2024, after the Supreme Court removed any guardrails on his power as President  

As this election winds down, getting out the vote is crucial. The Stalinists weren’t voting for Kamala anyway, but the progressives (who are neither commie nor Stalinist) need to turn out. 

I urge centrists to punch right and draw attention to the lack of guardrails if Trump is elected—rather than minimizing the concerns of progressives. 

IMG_1394.thumb.jpeg.1b8bd2294cccbf9c02791223bb872408.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They are American citizens, who have been afforded the opportunities to be successful, raise families, and not be under constant threat every single day of their lives.

And they want to throw it all away as a temper tantrum.  They "WHAT ABOUT???" everything - American women will be safer under a Harris presidency.  WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN IN GAZA AND LEBANON?  Kamala Harris and a Dem congress will codify Roe v Wade and ensure women have the right to choose their own reproductive healthcare outcomes.  WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN AND BABIES IN GAZA BEING MURDERED BY KAMALA HARRIS?????

It's dumber, and more malevolent than that.  It's "people are being harmed in Gaza, so we're going to act in a way to harm people here in the US.  That'll show you."

It's political terrorism, it's not much more complicated than that.

Way to make me sympathetic to your cause (sarcasm).  I have to give you everything you want, or you'll hurt me and my family?  Fuck YOU.

• Hook 'Em 5

We'll see if the podcasts and interviews have any impact. I wish she had more disciplined messaging about the policy proposals, especially the Medicare stuff. It plays.

I mean, the Medicare at home shit is great. She's been playing the hell out of it. How much more can she play out of it?

At the time he dropped out, polls showed Generic D beating Trump by 3, and Shapiro beating Trump by about 11 in PA. I'd like to see her exceeding those numbers.

You expected her to exceed the numbers of a popular governor IN his state? That seems reasonable to you?

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Harris has the centrists and never-trumpers locked up. While there is no reason to alienate the Dick Cheney for Kamala voters, there is also no reason to treat Dick Cheney as an angel.  I welcome his support.  I laud his daughter for standing up to Trump.  But no intelligent Republican can possibly defend a vote for Trump in 2024, after the Supreme Court removed any guardrails on his power as President  

As this election winds down, getting out the vote is crucial. The Stalinists weren’t voting for Kamala anyway, but the progressives (who are neither commie nor Stalinist) need to turn out. 

I urge centrists to punch right and draw attention to the lack of guardrails if Trump is elected—rather than minimizing the concerns of progressives. 

Peeling away an R to vote for Harris is the same electoral value as getting out two D voters to vote for her who otherwise wouldn't have. 

That's how it works. Let's say there are 22 possible voters, 20 who will vote and are split 10 R and 10 D and 2 unmotivated D voters. Changing one of those from R to D is the same value as getting both unmotivated Ds to the polls. One makes it 11-9 D, one makes it 12-10.

• Hook 'Em 4

At the time he dropped out, polls showed Generic D beating Trump by 3, and Shapiro beating Trump by about 11 in PA. I'd like to see her exceeding those numbers.

I only have one person blocked on this website, but I gotta be honest - this post, in the context of your complaints, is really making me consider doubling that total.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Green Party supporters have always been idiots, and Jill Stein is trying to court them but for what it's worth she's had very little success in that.

This article is from today (they're using European Day Month Year notation)

https://thearabweekly.com/michigan-uncommitted-come-out-against-trump-boosting-harris-fortunes-among-arab-americans

The Uncommitted shift to openly opposing Trump, who is perceived as close to Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, will come as some relief to Harris, the vice president.

However, Abandon Harris, another group of anti-war voters, has endorsed fringe Green Party candidate Jill Stein, potentially turning her into a spoiler that would help elect Trump in swing states decided by just a few thousand votes.

I looked for evidence of that group's size, and it's pretty much just that guy from the video.

50 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Then they're more than welcome to forfeit the free legal aid if Trump wins and Muslim Ban 2.0 - Nahga-Notta-Not Gonna-Be-A-Citizen-Anymore Boogaloo breaks box office records.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The problem I see is her priorities. She was in a 96% white county that Trump won in 2020 by 15k votes.

1 hour ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Ok? You don’t see the strategy in slicing off some of that %? 

Maybe chainsaw thinks that counties work like electoral votes within states.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe chainsaw thinks that counties work like electoral votes within states.

You and I both know those R voters aren't switching to Harris. They weren't waiting to hear from Liz Cheney, either. It's a high effort, low return strategy.

Qpac is a good pollster, and those are bad numbers. I'd rather see Kamala win than see the Longhorns win CFP, so yeah I'm going to be concerned. Conservatives are not to be trusted and usually come home in November. I am not comfortable with a strategy that places any amount of trust in them as a voting bloc.

You saw this shouldn't be a close election over and over, and the ONLY WAY to make it Not A Close Election is to appeal and get votes from motherfuckers who didn't vote for your canddiate last time. Period. Fucking Period. And yet you sit here whining and bitching about any efforts to peel off those fucking voters. It makes zero fucking sense. 

49 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Maybe the progressive wing should stop bitching about whinning undecided votes and get the fuck out there and whip their own votes from the impressively fickle far left, who always look for reasons to stay home. 

8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You and I both know those R voters aren't switching to Harris. They weren't waiting to hear from Liz Cheney, either. It's a high effort, low return strategy.

I know R voters voting D this time, so no, I do not. What I absolutely do not know is that the far left will show the fuck up and make a difference for once, becuase I don't think I've seen that one yet in my adult life. Maybe Obama, I guess. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Peeling away an R to vote for Harris is the same electoral value as getting out two D voters to vote for her who otherwise wouldn't have. 

That's how it works. Let's say there are 22 possible voters, 20 who will vote and are split 10 R and 10 D and 2 unmotivated D voters. Changing one of those from R to D is the same value as getting both unmotivated Ds to the polls. One makes it 11-9 D, one makes it 12-10.

Or they leave the top line blank or stay home. So at worst you get the same as convincing one D. At best you get double the benefit as you said.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, chainsaw said:

This seems completely true, and totally in line with the flood of public Republican for Harris endorsements and general makeup of this board. 

I hate when this thread gets chainsaw'd.

the texas chainsaw massacre GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

You're forgetting the fundamental rule of conservatism: they always come home.

I'm glad you personally know some first time D voters, and I hope to see more of that, but the effort required to create those votes is much greater than the effort required to get people registered and motivated in your strongholds. I am not convinced these people exist in large enough numbers to matter.

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You're forgetting the fundamental rule of conservatism: they always come home.

I'm glad you personally know some first time D voters, and I hope to see more of that, but the effort required to create those votes is much greater than the effort required to get people registered and motivated in your strongholds. I am not convinced these people exist in large enough numbers to matter.

Shut up.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Well like it or not, this race is much closer than it should be. So, yeah, I'm going to criticize her strategy. This kind of performance is unacceptable.

You should ask to talk to the manager, but it seems to me you are advocating the exact coalition strategy pursued by Texas Democrats from 1998-2016, 

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Progressives are cordially invited to shut the fuck up, liberals are trying to save the world from fascism again. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

(except for the two very high profile Republicans that I have spent the entire thread arguing about)

Politicians aren't swing state voters.

Every poll I've seen, if you look at those crosstabs you'll see that their 2020 voting history corresponds with their 2024 choice at like 94%+ (so a 2020 Trump voter has a 94% chance of supporting Trump in 2024. I haven't seen anything in the polling that shows that Kamala's efforts to court the right have been even marginally successful. I'd love to see a poll that shows otherwise though. I'd be happy to eat crow

What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you think Rick Wilson and the Never Trumpers are going to go back now? 

You want some evidence that R voters in the past are going to vote differently now? So does everyone else. We get to wait until Nov 5th. 

Stop being an ass whipping.

There goes commy California trying to…turn minor crimes into felonies for recidivists.  Those loony liberals!

i wonder which one of the supporter groups listed is actually a cover for the private prison industrial complex. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

White gays are interesting…

I clicked on this account.  He's got #backtheblue and #vets

So, he's for the party that bashed cops heads in on Jan6, and "suckers and losers". 

• Hook 'Em 1