2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Maybe I'm an idiot but there are apparently millions of Americans that believe in climate change, fair pay, quality education and healthcare for all Americans. 

Kamala saying we are gonna have the most lethal military in the world and here's Dick Cheney is dumb. I'm still gonna vote for Kamala though obviously.

q3eaymqgr2551.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

(I'll save the discussion of Miami Vice being a severly underrated masterpiece for after the election).

Hey, you will get no argument from me on that. I actually went back and watched the first episode last year for the first time in ages, Miami Vice was gritty AF.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Hey, you will get no argument from me on that. I actually went back and watched the first episode last year for the first time in ages, Miami Vice was gritty AF.

I was talking the movie, but the In the AIr Tonight scene in the first episode is maybe best 3 minutes and 48 seconds of TV you will ever watch. Also, the episode Out Where The Buses Don't Run is sick, especially the use of Brother's In Arms at the end. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Harris' momentum clearly stalled out. Time to roll out the big guns

Barack and Michelle Obama
Bruce Springsteen
Taylor Swift 

7 swing states.  Harris, Walz, Swift, Barack, Michelle, Springsteen, and Joe Biden.  One of each should be in each state at all times between now and Election Day.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m so glad GRUHorn is back with his new username to pump Halperin and Sean Spicer. They’re super unbiased 

There's always a D pundit. Like I said, they take onscreen comments and questions from regular Joes. You should go on there and explain everything to everyone.

Edited by Conqueeftador
  • Fuck You 17

6 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I was talking the movie, but the In the AIr Tonight scene in the first episode is maybe best 3 minutes and 48 seconds of TV you will ever watch. Also, the episode Out Where The Buses Don't Run is sick, especially the use of Brother's In Arms at the end. 

Agreed

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I liked the ending of Prodigal Son, and the use of Take Me Home. When Tubbs chooses going back to Miami with Crockett instead of more weird foot play.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

but the In the AIr Tonight scene in the first episode is maybe best 3 minutes and 48 seconds of TV you will ever watch.

In my entire life, there are a handful of scenes in a TV show or movie that I saw and realized "holy fuck, that is world-changing."  As in, this is going to have an impact on our culture, etc.  I remember watching that scene in episode 1 the night it aired, and realizing holy shit, I just watched something fucking incredible.  At school the next day, we were all talking about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Huge reason why Harris is not giving cable news, Sunday shows, NYT/WaPo the time of day.

It's all gotcha questions or they just want to talk about Trump.  

Who gives a fuck what they want? Somebody asks you a question they get the answer they get. Harris and Democrats in general need to go make their own weather. 

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, safe sex said:

There are plenty of LGB people who are super transphobic. Plenty of them don't think the T should be included in the acronym. Though to be sure, excluding trans people from the "main" queer umbrella would do irreparable damage to the trans community

The "rage" comment is getting a workout right now.

For people who need allies not to be allies is the definition of irony and FAFO.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Teamsters union guy that has over 1 million Americans under him was on Theo's podcast

I think O'Brien is a dumbshit, but I can't disagree that there's a significant demographic of people who are completely put off with all politicians, to the point where they subconsciously shut it out of their lives, and many of them listen to Theo Von.

It sounds like an oxymoron but there's also a significant demographic of apolitical progressives who have totally given up on the Democratic party. They aren't keffiyeh-wearing students, they're working class men and women. I assume quite a few are Teamsters.

They're progressive in their policy positions, so they'll never support Trump.

But they don't hate or fear Trump enough to be swayed by campaign messaging that focuses on how bad he is. Whites because they (think they) have nothing to fear, and non-whites because they're simply checked out and conditioned to believe their voice doesn't matter because it's never mattered before.

I guarantee if you conducted a focus group with them, the strongest-performing ads would be the ads that play-up her progressive bona fides.

Fuck O'Brien, though. He's doing nobody any favors by flirting with Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Beyond the style, music, the wheel shot, it's the phone call in the middle. The incredibly human desire to have meant something end of it all, leading into the drum break. 

Plus just knowing that Phil had seen that dude that could have saved that drowning dude but didn’t. Chills

• Haha 4

In that same speech, Trump proposed making car loan interest tax deductible. This is the same MFer that went out of his way in this last term to encourage fewer people to itemize and go with the standard deduction. Tax returns went from 70% taking the standard deduction to 90%. Make car loan interest tax-deductible and very few people will get to take advantage of it but the smooth brain folks will think Trump is giving them a benefit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

American Greatness is Hannity’s PAC so the LV screen is probably pretty Trumpy

"ONLINE Survey"

https://cdn.amgreatness.com/app/uploads/2024/10/Tables-PA-Oct-2024.pdf

Some interesting results though.

If you look at Page 27 there's this:

Unweighted Total

338 DEM

332 REP

(Six more DEM than REP if unweighted)

BASE=LIKELY VOTERS

325 DEM

360 REP

(35 more REP than DEM once "weighted")

I have no idea what they're doing that changes the "weighting" in that way. But if you check out what kind of media outlet "American Greatness" is, it sort of makes sense.

Edited by chainsaw

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In that same speech, Trump proposed making car loan interest tax deductible. This is the same MFer that went out of his way in this last term to encourage fewer people to itemize and go with the standard deduction. Tax returns went from 70% taking the standard deduction to 90%. Make car loan interest tax-deductible and very few people will get to take advantage of it but the smooth brain folks will think Trump is giving them a benefit.

Thanks Elon

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

They really think they are going to win Virginia lol

Remember their 2020 fantasy maps with New Mexico and California? 

They're delusional.  No one on either side has raised any alarm about Virginia.  It's the 7 swing states and that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Dems should be clear that tax dollars won't go to federal prisoners for these treatments.

They can't.  It has been BOP policy, dictated by the courts and the 8th Amendment since 2016 (note during the Trump administration).

Note though that this applies to gender-affirming care, to include, but not require, transition surgery.  I believe the tale of the tape is that very few prisoners have had such surgery (one ordered as of 2022, https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/federal-court-orders-first-gender-affirming-surgery-trans-prisoner-rcna25377.

BOP is fairly notorious for withholding even life-saving procedures if they are expensive.  They often just discharge such inmates on "compassionate" grounds.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Reno has gained a ton of population lately, mostly blue.  I spent some time there this summer.  It's a nice little town actually.  Well, nice in that it's close to Tahoe.  But all in all there are some nice folks there.

Once shot a man there just to watch him die.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2