2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

28 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Spoiler alert: he claims that the secret to raising successful kids is to make sure they don’t do drugs, drink alcohol or smoke.  DO NOT let Don Jr’s dealer see this clip, please!

I wouldn't be where I am today without drugs, booze, and smokes!!!

Wait...gotdammit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Off topic, but I wanted to make sure you erudite motherfuckers saw this wonderful opportunity to spend six hours in a car Saturday with me and Brisket.  He'll be on the ledge.  I'll be pumping sunshine.  It'll be great.

I'll buy you both a beer at the Texas Exes tent when you get in. I'll be in the burnt orange Poncho shirt....just yell out "hey Fletch beer me"

• Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Derka said:

obama shutting down his own crowd to emphasize the importance of what he’s saying is something to see. that’s authority. he and trump are legitimately on polar opposite ends of the public speaking spectrum.

God damn. He’s channeling what so many of us have been feeling since 2016. “Just what the hell is going on?!?”

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Bevo in VA said:

Obama is the most gifted speaker of our generation.  Not sure who is even second but the gap is between 1 and 2 isn't close

on just oratory skill, bill clinton in his heyday was pretty fucking fantastic. Reagan was too. depends on how you define a generation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I can't wait until he promises everybody a pony!

Could you imagine the level of inflation in the construction industry if we tried to double our electrical capacity in 12 months? They'd be knocking down skyscrapers for the steel and copper.  Pipe fitters would be making more than heart surgeons.  He is just so profoundly stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Could you imagine the level of inflation in the construction industry if we tried to double our electrical capacity in 12 months? They'd be knocking down skyscrapers for the steel and copper.  Pipe fitters would be making more than heart surgeons.  He is just so profoundly stupid. 

I mean we all know idiot moron is a lying sack of shit, but the only thing that allows electricity costs to be halved is continued investment in solar + storage. That or YOLO backyard nuclear and 10 Fukushimas a month.

Edited by linux
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Powerful stuff from Obama. I don’t understand the dynamic of rallies well enough, how will his words get to the people who need to hear them? Everyone in that room is already voting for Harris. 

It will get pushed out through media. Also, it’s also reinforced talking points that those people can use on others. It keeps the energy and vibes going for a too long and stressful campaign.
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 10/8/2024 at 3:58 PM, bolverk said:

It's not just that Trump was secretly talking with Putin while out of office, but that Trump was also pressuring Republicans in Congress to block military aid to Ukraine to fight Russian invaders. In short, he was attempting to influence our foreign policy, likely at Putin's bidding.

He is sucking up to Putin because he wants to build DoTARd ToWERs in Moscow. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

It will get pushed out through media. Also, it’s also reinforced talking points that those people can use on others. It keeps the energy and vibes going for a too long and stressful campaign.

Yep.  October hasn't been ideal with two destructive hurricanes and the boiling in the Middle East.  Harris needs some light-hearted contrast to and reminders of how fucking awful and downright goofy Trump is.  It may seem superficial, but that's presidential election politics in our modern era.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Picking a nit- I really don’t like the expression “opportunity economy,” which Kamala Harris uses a lot. It sounds like the focus group bullshit Republicans used to grin-fuck middle class people with until Donald Trump came along. 

The inability of Democrats at all levels to connect to middle class people’s financial struggles is constantly baffling to me. Hell it almost cost Kirk Watson the Austin mayor’s race. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Usually gets local news coverage too

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Picking a nit- I really don’t like the expression “opportunity economy,” which Kamala Harris uses a lot. It sounds like the focus group bullshit Republicans used to grin-fuck middle class people with until Donald Trump came along. 

The inability of Democrats at all levels to connect to middle class people’s financial struggles is constantly baffling to me. Hell it almost cost Kirk Watson the Austin mayor’s race. 

Meh.  I think it lands with most people.

• Hook 'Em 2

WSJ:

Arizona, Harris +2
Michigan, Harris +2
Georgia, Harris +1
Wisconsin, Harris +1
NC, Trump +1
PA, Trump +1
NV, Trump +5 (lol just stop polling this state, you people have no idea how to do it) 

Funky path to 278, but that is over 270

Also, SHOCKING - margin of 1 or 2 in every swing state, how unsurprising.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

WSJ:

Arizona, Harris +2
Michigan, Harris +2
Georgia, Harris +1
Wisconsin, Harris +1
NC, Trump +1
PA, Trump +1
NV, Trump +5 (lol just stop polling this state, you people have no idea how to do it) 

Funky path to 278, but that is over 270

Also, SHOCKING - margin of 1 or 2 in every swing state, how unsurprising.

Why is PA polling so close?  Scary shit.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wish the energy CEOs, who back Trump,  would address the question on the exact nature they plan to cut their revenue in half under Trump. Their shareholders would love to learn more about that.

Don't care.  Had environmental protections gutted. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

30 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Do you have an alternate title for the package of economic policies?  (I think, by nature, a package of campaign policies is going to sound artificial.  Because they are campaign promises.)

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Why is PA polling so close?  Scary shit.

This is literally asked like every 5 minutes. I don't fucking know.

Greater than 50% chance it is all herding to avoid being wrong.  We've had really in-state polling companies (Susquehanna, F&M) show this not a tie/1 point race, but every national polling company wading into PA somehow ends up with the same range of results (Trump +1 to Harris +1) - and a big chunk of them are partisan R pollsters.  

Fuck, even TIPP found the race Harris +3 until Sean Hannity's grubby fingers deleted Philadelphia from the live voter sample to get a Trump +1 result. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It lands with most people like you, but it doesn’t really land with middle middle and lower middle class people.

Just now, Tuco said:

Do you have an alternate title for the package of economic policies?  (I think, by nature, a package of campaign policies is going to sound artificial.  Because they are campaign promises.)

I don't like either, but also asked myself that same question (what sounds better?).  She's clearly made it a centerpiece of her campaign message, so I presume it's been tested in survey groups against alternatives. 

Not to change the subject, but I'm curious whether "equity" has now picked up enough baggage that it's the new "liberal", and you'll see the left try to avoid it.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some are y’all as just as a bad as MAGA. Instead of complaining about stolen elections you’re complaining about rigged polls. If you think that polls are changing their numbers to meet a goal, then stop posting or commenting on them. 

I wouldn't characterize it as complaining. I wont speak for JS1, but his resposnes are usually skepticism becuase the results he see don't match other data points, and don't match actual results we've seen since 2020. That's my interpretation of his thoughts based on my own reactions to interacting with him on this topic several times. I will speak for myself and say, I'm not complaining. It's more like expressing ass-puckering terror that the pollsters have figured some things out and the fucking polling is correct. 

Everyone around here felt pretty confident about a Biden win in 2020, and we ended up twisted in anxiety for a couple fucking weeks afterward becuase it was way fucking closer than polls indicated. Since then, we've seen the polls be way off in favor of Democrats. I don't think anyone can feel overwhelmingly confident considering the stakes in this election, and people are just venting, rationalizing, or doing whatever. 

But I wouldn't characterize it as complaining. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If you think that polls are changing their numbers to meet a goal

Most of them aren't doing it.  I would say 99.9% are not doing that.

That actually did happen yesterday.  And the point of it is to craft a narrative that Trump is winning, so when he doesn't, it was stolen.  Hence why you see dozens and dozens of GOP polls from Patriot Polling and American Greatness and Insider Advantage tossing out crappy polls to flood the zone and make you think Trump is winning.

It's called combating misinformation.  The WSJ polls are fine, if not a little wonky, but that TIPP poll got butchered by Nate Silver and 538 as well for excluding Philadelphia.  That's not bad business - that's pure disinformation. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, linux said:

I mean we all know idiot moron is a lying sack of shit, but the only thing that allows electricity costs to be halved is continued investment in solar + storage. That or YOLO backyard nuclear and 10 Fukushimas a month.

And a shitload of windmills.

7 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

That last video of Obama...he articulates the befuddlement and frustration perfectly in words and tone. 

Why are we accepting the unacceptable? I'm sort of wordless right now. 

Thanks, Obama.

Trumps senility and decline in health is beyond anything Biden displayed and yet here we are. Not relitigating he’s drop out and Harris nomination I’m all in on that just befuddled trump is still allowed to hang on.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1