2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

My dad wasn't paying attention to pat buchanans or any of that shit. He was putting himself through night school while working long days as a carpenter raising 3 kids and paying off his house. My dad didn't listen to politics radio, he was listening to the Eagles. He wasn't watching Fox News, he was playing baseball with his sons. Believe it or not, there's a percentage of the population who doesn't follow politics AT ALL because they do other shit. My dad grew up when the perception of democrats in the south were the same people enforcing Jim Crow. Then he went to Vietnam. And then he came back and basically never updated his political views again until Biden ran for office. I don't know how in the world that sounds unbelievable.

Hey look, I'm not trying to offend.  I'm sincerely trying to understand.  All those things are good things, and I can see how one might check out on politics.  But I also see how one can do all the things you describe and also keep up with politics. 

That is all. 

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I want him to lose so badly.  But then after Harris wins, I want him to host a weekly podcast to which I will subscribe.

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

Hey look, I'm not trying to offend.  I'm sincerely trying to understand.  All those things are good things, and I can see how one might check out on politics.  But I also see how one can do all the things you describe and also keep up with politics. 

That is all. 

I honestly think this is a case of having your nose too close to the subject. You and I are people who will spend our time seeking out and talking politics on a sports board. We are the sort of people who realize politics is in everything, and it's obvious to us. But a huge percentage of people don't ever see it. Ever heard someone old say something dumb like "Star Trek is woke now!" without a hint of irony? They're not being obtuse, they're honestly that ignorant. I'll give another frame of reference to my dad's perspective, he told me about this dude he knew when he was a carpenter who would watch cspan all the time, and his perception was "that guy was always pissed off, and would tell me 'don't watch or it'll just make you mad.'" So my dad took his advice literally and wouldn't watch.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The "Trump stole 1.7 billion from Americans" and that word salad back to back was something. It's truly remarkable to see things happen literally every single day that would have ended anyone else, permanently. To have that kind of protection must feel incredible. 

The Republican Party is rotten to the core.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

The "Trump stole 1.7 billion from Americans" and that word salad back to back was something. It's truly remarkable to see things happen literally every single day that would have ended anyone else, permanently. To have that kind of protection must feel incredible. 

I was telling someone the other day that the shit Trump did when he first took office where he tear gassed the protestors at the church live on tv then walked over and held up the bible would have been the political scandal of the entire century for any other president. With trump, the majority of people have completely forgotten it, including the person I was talking to who had no recollection at all about it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

.  Biden can’t explain shit clearly and Harris is playing a bit of whack a mole in dodging interviews.

I mean this in the most sincere way—are you okay? Between this comment and the ones about dems should stop focusing on trans prisoners to the one about the interview of the maga FIL who has been brainwashed and you not believing it because they need to go live on tv, I’m getting concerned. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I was telling someone the other day that the shit Trump did when he first took office where he tear gassed the protestors at the church live on tv then walked over and held up the bible would have been the political scandal of the entire century for any other president. With trump, the majority of people have completely forgotten it, including the person I was talking to who had no recollection at all about it.

That happened near the end of his term, which sort of proves your point.

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean this in the most sincere way—are you okay? Between this comment and the ones about dems should stop focusing on trans prisoners to the one about the interview of the maga FIL who has been brainwashed and you not believing it because they need to go live on tv, I’m getting concerned. 

Eddie is alright, but he's just kind of always "Dems need to move to the middle!" vibing regardless of what's actually going on.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That happened near the end of his term, which sort of proves your point.

It really does all blur together into one astonishing mess. At some point it just becomes drops of water in the ocean, which is why all these news drops barely move the needle if at all anymore.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This is why I don’t think the election is as close as they’re trying to tell us

Shes not shedding huge numbers of black voters like the polling subsamples say

Shes not doing any worse with Latino voters nationwide than Biden

She’s doing roughly the same as Biden did with young voters 

She’s killing Trump in the burbs - doing better than Biden

She’s doing better with women and college educated voters than Biden did

It doesn’t square up 

I don't think it's going to be close, either, but it might be.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I really don't feel like dealing with another popular vote win/EC loss. Mainly because I don't trust the Democratic Party to push for reform.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

isn't basically everything that "Make america great again" woman complaining about a state issue, not a federal one?

This is going to sound insensitive, but I guarantee there's a metric fuckton she's omitting from her sob story. In the Social Security Disability application process (which to be fair to her, is a federal thing) it only takes months to get an initial decision. That should be faster, but if it's taking years, it's probably because there are jobs she could be doing with reasonable accommodations, which means she has been denied and is drawing out her appeals.

Edited by chainsaw
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Usually with Dotard quotes, I can sorta piece together what he's trying to say, because I pay way too much attention to all of this. But I have no idea what he is talking about here.

YARN | Even context clues have failed me. | Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013) -  S03E23 Crime | Video clips by quotes | 40ea3d98 | 紗

• Haha 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

This is going to sound insensitive, but I guarantee there's a metric fuckton she's omitting from her sob story. In the Social Security Disability application process (which to be fair to her, is a federal thing) it only takes months to get an initial decision. That should be faster, but if it's taking years, it's probably because there are jobs she could be doing with reasonable accommodations.

Also, in my experience, the general public is absolutely terrible at being able to fill out even simple forms correctly.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Usually with Dotard quotes, I can sorta piece together what he's trying to say, because I pay way too much attention to all of this. But I have no idea what he is talking about here.

YARN | Even context clues have failed me. | Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013) -  S03E23 Crime | Video clips by quotes | 40ea3d98 | 紗

Well, you see, they're leaving Milwaukee. And it's very sad, and simple. And not like Elon Musk going to the moon. And it reminds him of Biden and the eight circles.

Not really sure why you're confused.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Also, in my experience, the general public is absolutely terrible at being able to fill out even simple forms correctly.

True, but there's absolutely no shortage of help available at the social security building. Those poor people are there to literally hold your hand through the process. It's an agency that almost exclusively deals with old and frail people.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

How did a homeless woman that lives in Deltona, FL get to Vegas for this town hall?

Indeed GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

he is equating/comparing 1) the circles painted on a the landing pads that Space X rockets returning to earth landed on to 2) the circles painted in fields for social distancing at Biden rallies during the 2020 election.

What that has to do with Milwaukee at the beginning and him losing bigly in 2020 and being abused by other counties at the end, i have no idea.

......and to that matter what is the relevance of the similarity in the circles in the Elon/Biden comparison in the first place.

back to @Bozo_Casanova 's comment about Democrats needing to be better at messaging on the economy. I don't know what else they can do. They are actually putting programs into place to support and bolster the working and middle class. They have been better for the economy every single presidency going back to Carter. I don't think there is anything more they can do other than outright lie like the Republicans.

They want to believe the Republican lies. They don't hold them accountable. They never benefit for them. They are idiots. So I don't think Democrats should waste any time trying to persuade idiots who continue to vote against their own self-interests over and over again because they feel better about being able to be a racist and a misogynist  and hate other people. Fuck those people. Let's build a coalition with everyone else. It has been working great for the Democrats for every election since 2016. 

Kamala is going to roll Trump. We have all maxed out and are volunteering so I am not taking it lightly. But this is going to be ugly for him.

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

gotta wonder why so many people give up on absentee/mail in ballots... gotta fill out a form.

yes, i know that is the point. re: GOP.

39 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Counter point: It made their collective dicks hard.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, yoladu said:

gotta wonder why so many people give up on absentee/mail in ballots... gotta fill out a form.

yes, i know that is the point. re: GOP.

Yeah, in software, its well known that every extra bit of effort you ask of the end user drastically reduces the amount of people who will complete the task. It's actually at the heart of that whole google sideloading issue that went to court recently, where Epic could show with hard numbers the amount of users they would be blocked from reaching by simply making sideloading opt-in instead of opt-out. Literally any barrier, no matter how seemingly small, sheds a lot of people when extrapolated to the whole population. There really is no such thing as a small obstacle.

• Hook 'Em 3

While amusing and fun to laugh at, doTARd's failure to speak coherently isn't changing anybody's mind. 

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is why I don’t think the election is as close as they’re trying to tell us

Shes not shedding huge numbers of black voters like the polling subsamples say

Shes not doing any worse with Latino voters nationwide than Biden

She’s doing roughly the same as Biden did with young voters 

She’s killing Trump in the burbs - doing better than Biden

She’s doing better with women and college educated voters than Biden did

It doesn’t square up 

I just heard a story on NPR yesterday (I think it was yesterday) that said she is not doing well with black males under 50.