2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I look forward to the NYTs telling us why Kamala sitting down for a long-form interview with FoxNews 'doesn't count'.

Doesn’t count because it’s Bret Baeir! she should go on RT for it to count 

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I have decided to follow this election closely, despite knowing how crushed I will be if Trump wins. I figure I was already crushed a few months ago after watching the Biden debate. Worst case scenario is I got an extra 4 months of hope before 4 years of distraction and despair. Best case scenario is I get to watch America turn the page on this stupid, ugly chapter. This is Midway, and I can’t stop watching now.

UT is playing Florida, Kentucky, Arkansas, and aggy in November, so we’ve got that going for us.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Biden should.  This is his wheelhouse. 

Put that man on TV to tell the public that the death threats against FEMA need to stop and what is causing it. 

Biden needs to enforce some fucking repercussions for that behavior though. He keeps going out there and saying "this has got to stop" and yeah, that's morally correct, but he's not some helpless onlooker he's the fucking President. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Biden needs to enforce some fucking repercussions for that behavior though

Like what? I mean, realistically, what can he do? Serious question.

Since FEMA is a federal agency and they are government employees, can the DOJ go after anyone making death threats against them? Because local law enforcement in Western NC ain't gonna do shit, they're all Trumpy as fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Like what? I mean, realistically, what can he do? Serious question.

Since FEMA is a federal agency and they are government employees, can the DOJ go after anyone making death threats against them? Because local law enforcement in Western NC ain't gonna do shit, they're all Trumpy as fuck. 

• Rage+1 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Holy shit, I just saw a Kamala Harris billboard in Belton

Saw a little local news teaser about the DNC Chair having a trip to Texas planned in the next few days, asking whther Texas might actually be in play. I'd say at least for Allred it is.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Saw a little local news teaser about the DNC Chair having a trip to Texas planned in the next few days, asking whther Texas might actually be in play. I'd say at least for Allred it is.

It’s for Allred 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think 2024 is the worst version of Trump. Not only is he personally deteriorated, his campaign is garbage. In the past two elections, the GOP attachment brought some competent logistics. That seems lacking today. He had women advising him. Ivanka is sitting this one out. Kelly Anne Conway is a minor character in this chapter. And I think that has made a difference in how he talks about women. Just techbro incel nonsense now.

I think the Harris campaign is the best version of a Dem campaign I have seen. It’s not just Harris, although she is good. KamalaHQ, the dynamic DNC, etc.

This is where I land, too.  I find it hard to be pessimistic about Harris’ chances when the Trump campaign has done absolutely nothing to expand his support.  

I am hopeful, however, that following a Harris win there is a reckoning among the Dem party elites on how to bring back in white working class males.  They’ve basically surrendered them to the GOP and they should be allies, particularly so on the Dem economic platform.  It’s a national problem that most likely needs a local solution (i.e,, Kamala trying to create favorable conditions for union membership won’t get it done-Dems need to keep at building the party in red states at the city and county level).  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

It's infuriating because Joe Biden has easily been the best president of their lifetimes on Labor issues.

That doesn’t make me mad, rather, it’s a reminder that tribal cohesiveness is a dominant concern at the moment (maybe because the economy IS doing good).  

I want to punch myself because I’m sick of reading this particular phrase (or hearing it on podcasts), but it’s another “you have to meet the voters where they are.”

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

ohhh that’s gonna get the fat man pissed off 

Not as much as it's going to piss of the NYT. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I look forward to the NYTs telling us why Kamala sitting down for a long-form interview with FoxNews 'doesn't count'.

Goddamnit.

Edited by SydneyCarton
Edit: I fucking pulled a 3 Putt.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

3 weeks to go. Where is everyone's head with how this will resolve.

I still think Harris is going to eke out a small EC win by early Wed morning. I'm guessing she wins with PA and NV. 

IMHO Kamala wins the EC fairly bigly. But we will see.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

FAFO

What does that "peace" look like? If they truly think a Trump "peace" will result in better conditions for Palestinians than what they had before this conflict broke out, then I don't know what to say - it's just baffling.

Just like Trump "peace" in Ukraine just means there is no more Ukraine. I imagine that's not far off from his vision of peace in the ME.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

John Oliver's main story about Trump trying to steal another election was pretty sobering last night, especially the parts about Georgia, which seems like a lost cause at this point.

Can somebody please talk me off the ledge?

Yeah, that was a disconcerting segment, and Georgia's election may be completely fucked as a result of the shit they're trying to pull.

20 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

What does that "peace" look like? If they truly think a Trump "peace" will result in better conditions for Palestinians than what they had before this conflict broke out, then I don't know what to say - it's just baffling.

Just like Trump "peace" in Ukraine just means there is no more Ukraine. I imagine that's not far off from his vision of peace in the ME.

The Trump admin wanted to bomb Iran.  And imagine what that would do for public sentiment for muslims in America.  There's their peace in the Middle East.  Oh I know, let's try it out for reals and see how peaceful a Trump resolution is.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

No.

To everything here.

That account is doing its job.

I totally agree and have been thinking she's given up a ton of momentum since the debate.  For years we have all said the best way to handle a bully is to walk right up to him and punch him in the nose.  From the moment Biden stepped out of the race through the debate that's exactly what the Harris campaign did.  They attacked, attacked, attacked and dragged his stupid fat ass all over the place. 

The last two weeks since she's gone on this touchy-feely podcast tour it feels like a Tom Herman 4th quarter with the lead.  I didn't like the way those turned out.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

It's infuriating because Joe Biden has easily been the best president of their lifetimes on Labor issues.

He's bearing the brunt of the Democratic Party's embrace of neoliberalism, Bill Clinton's triangulation, and Barack Obama's failure to hold Wall Street accountable for the Great Recession.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

These folks are as bad as the one issue abortion folks on the right.   They're chopping their nose off to spite their face.  

It's like no one reminded them of the COMPLETE MUSLIM BAN!!!! Warble garble!!!!

Trump may deport every Muslim to Gaza, regardless if they're Palestinian or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 hours ago, locodos said:

So, the sign on the front is a reference to the My Pillow guy. I wouldn't rule out the idea of it being anti-Trumpers stirring the shit, but the fact that something like that is even believable at all at this point is striking, with the campaign being fed talking points from Ohio Nazis, calling for mass deportations of brown & black people, etc.

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Trump may deport every Muslim to Gaza, regardless if they're Palestinian or not. 

Indeed he may.  And my Muslim friends are shaken as the rest of us with these folks who think somehow this is helpful to their cause.  It's truly mind bottling. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I totally agree and have been thinking she's given up a ton of momentum since the debate.  For years we have all said the best way to handle a bully is to walk right up to him and punch him in the nose.  From the moment Biden stepped out of the race through the debate that's exactly what the Harris campaign did.  They attacked, attacked, attacked and dragged his stupid fat ass all over the place. 

The last two weeks since she's gone on this touchy-feely podcast tour it feels like a Tom Herman 4th quarter with the lead.  I didn't like the way those turned out.

My wife and I noticed too--wtf happened to Republicans being weird?  Why run out the clock? Punch back--put him on the offensive and stop with the defensive stances that are only serve as distractions.    Even better, ask the NYT why they and others aren't going after Trump for his lock up the media comments.  Keep his negative comments floating in the open and end each with a We're not going back!  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

So, the sign on the front ... is that a reference to the My Pillow guy? I wouldn't rule out the idea of it being anti-Trumpers stirring the shit, but the fact that it's even believable at all at this point is striking, with the campaign being fed talking points from Ohio Nazis, calling for mass deportations of brown & black people, etc.

Read the article..  Hyper linked.  They are legit nazis, and they love everything Trump stands for.

• Rage+1 2

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

Indeed he may.  And my Muslim friends are shaken as the rest of us with these folks who think somehow this is helpful to their cause.  It's truly mind bottling. 

The metaphor of how some American Muslims are saying they'll vote for Trump over the Gaza issue is pretty damned solid the metaphor of a suicide vest: if you don't give us everything we want, we'll destroy everything, including ourselves.

It's fucking morally indefensible.  "I don't like what's happening in Gaza, so I'm going to inflict pain on everyone else, including American muslims, unless we get everything we want."  Fuck that, and fuck them.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

My wife and I noticed too--wtf happened to Republicans being weird?  Why run out the clock? Punch back--put him on the offensive and stop with the defensive stances that are only serve as distractions.    Even better, ask the NYT why they and others aren't going after Trump for his lock up the media comments.  Keep his negative comments floating in the open and end each with a We're not going back!  

This.  

Trump said we should lock up the media.

He said any former president criticizing a presidential candidate should be imprisoned.

He has promised to deport people who are in this country legally.

He called the opposing candidate a retard.

He has lied about FEMA coming to take your house.

None of those things are hyperbole -- they are things he has actually said just in recent days.  Every single one should be run as a headline of "Trump makes shameful statement calling for imprisoning of people who criticize him - not presidential material."  Yes, you fucking editorialize on the front fucking page, because this is EXACTLY the kind of situation that calls for it.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1