2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

54 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Wait, are you just now finding out about the charity scam?

Yeah. At least this one. I avoided most news for a significant stretch because I was sick of seeing, well, soul-crushing shit like this exact story.

Sorry not sorry for the old news, but at least maybe it'll get the word out to people who may have forgotten or never knew, like me.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I knew about that but I didn’t have that article bookmarked yet. I wonder which sub-folder under ‘Bookmarks\Politics\Donald Trump’ I should put it in: ‘Fraud,’ ‘Grift,’ or ‘Human Scum.’

I went with Human Scum. 

Sounds about right. And yeah, long but good article. Soulless fucking vampires, they are.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

LOL, yep. The amount of shit I have to bring with me for that is insane, and I've been licensed to drive in this state for 45 years.

I took a debit card to pay for it and my passport and that was it.   This was 10 days ago.

(Sidenote I learned the Fletchers Corny Dog stand  on the east side of the Cotton Bowl will not sell you a beer if they can’t scan your ID no matter how old you look and they can’t scan the temporary one. Thankfully still had my clipped one in my wallet). 

15 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

While I agree with everything you wrote, I do admit to reading about generals of antiquity committing ritual suicide for losing battles and appreciating the integrity of the act.  

I guess they finally decided that - say - von Blucher’s cavalry was an hour late, Wellington did not really need to off himself. 

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

As @wildcat09 mentioned, if Hostomel falls, Kyiv likely falls within 72 hours.  In other words, if the Russians had more competence and luck on their side, things unravel fast.

You can visit us in the DT thread and I can dig up the videos discussing how dicey things got with the attack on the Hostomel airfield.  A lot point to the convoy stalling just north of Kyiv, but Hostomel was more important.

We will just have to disagree.  You act as if luck and competence have never been considered before when making predictions for military battles.  He didn't say it's 60/40 or even 80/20.  He said 3 days.  That means no amount of luck and/or incompetence can stall this.  It would probably take the tanks a few days just to get there unopposed.   I readily admit that luck played a big part.  It always does.  I think only an idiot would stick his neck out there and make a prediction like that to Congress and POTUS.  His judgement was terrible.  Couple that with his assessment of Afghanistan and he was not competent for his position.

Plus, these are not under the radar events where somehow the top people got fooled by their underlings.  The Russia invasion was the greatest geopolitical event in years.  The US, as well as every other first world country in the world, have been assessing Russia and their competencies for years.  I believe, just my opinion, that there were almost certainly  factions within the intelligence and military communities that had very different opinions on both Russia and Afghanistan.  Milley's job was to sort it out and find the reality.  He was comically wrong on both events.  

This is not political.  Some poster said Milley fucks.  I merely pointed out that for the 2 most significant events that happened under his watch, he failed miserably in his assessment.  

Just now, wood said:

Cool. Maybe they've streamlined it. Mine was last summer and it was stupidly redundant and complex.

Oh I don't know what happens if you don't have a passport, that seems to be THE master document that establishes both residency and identify.....I'm sure it's a slow slide into shit from there.

I do know that no matter whether you have a passport or not that when you are a 16-year-old kid trying to get a license for the first time they might as well be asking for a kidney.   

23 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

The more Democrats ignore the channel, the further from reality those folks can position themselves.

It benefits no one to allow that channel to craft its own reality without pushback.

Great, maybe she can go on the Daily Caller next. I mean, if Fox were to move to the center, then their shitty audience just goes to the Daily Caller or some other dark place that will wantonly carry their views. I hear what you're saying--there's an audience there that can only be reached through Fox, so meet them on their preferred medium.  The people who want to go back to the 50s aren't looking for equality and empathy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

We have a couple of Ukraine War threads. One of them right here in Cloak Room. If you want to shit on Milley kindly take it there.

Dude, he's all-in on "nobody knows more about the military than me" from Trump.  Milley is a libtard dumbass because he....assessed Ukraine's military position relative to Russia EXACTLY as functionally every other military strategist of any significance in the world did ahead of the invasion.  And yeah, were it not for miracle plays like defending the airport and keeping Zelensky from being assassinated, it IS a few day war.

But again.  He's a member of the church of Mr. "Nobody knows more about ______ than me."  So, take what he says for exactly the IQ points it reflects.

• Hook 'Em 8

6 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Great, maybe she can go on the Daily Caller next. I mean, if Fox were to move to the center, then their shitty audience just goes to the Daily Caller or some other dark place that will wantonly carry their views. I hear what you're saying--there's an audience there that can only be reached through Fox, so meet them on their preferred medium.  The people who want to go back to the 50s aren't looking for equality and empathy. 

Daily Caller is not in the WH press room. I do think she should find some sort of relationship with the members of  the WH press corp. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Pretending that the most watched news network in the country doesn’t exist is a Hillary-esque, loser move.

The goal isn’t to switch votes, it’s to convince voters that you winning isn’t the end of the world. If you let your opposition define you without pushback, then you cannot be surprised when the general public believes it.

And for the record, Hillary won the popular vote by a landslide. Republicans can win elections with a minority, and each time Democrats win, they re-up their gaming the system. Well, if Kamala can just speak at some of the central, more prominent Klan rallies, maybe she can reach a segment of the population Democrats couldn't ordinarily reach.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Daily Caller is not in the WH press room. I do think she should find some sort of relationship with the members of  the WH press corp. 

Fox News is on tv all day in like 90% of public places that have TVs, tons of private businesses, and every fucking military base in the country. 

Their “reporters” should be laughed right out of the press corps but the channel can’t just be totally ignored.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

They're not looking for her support.  Their viewers aren't tuning in for an olive branch and reconciliation.  If FOX got bought out by Mark Cuban tomorrow, then their viewers migrate to a place like OAN or the Daily Caller, who with enough viewers, would get a person in the WH press corp.  Why not, they have relationships with Supreme Court Justices.   If Democrats can't win in the states they offered FEMA relief to, these people would be more willing to cut off their own life support than vote for a Democrat.  Logic has nothing to do with it--they vote against their interests.  If it weren't so, lowering prescription drugs should be a slam dunk, especially knowing that a Republican very much reverses it.  They don't care. I mean, if she undid the 18th Amendment, she'd hear a lot more agreement from their viewers, just not at the ballot box.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, he's all-in on "nobody knows more about the military than me" from Trump.  Milley is a libtard dumbass because he....assessed Ukraine's military position relative to Russia EXACTLY as functionally every other military strategist of any significance in the world did ahead of the invasion.  And yeah, were it not for miracle plays like defending the airport and keeping Zelensky from being assassinated, it IS a few day war.

But again.  He's a member of the church of Mr. "Nobody knows more about ______ than me."  So, take what he says for exactly the IQ points it reflects.

I listened to an interview with McMaster that was an absolute beating.  It's hard to hear someone as bright as Preet try and find agreement with someone stating both sides, Democrats refused to meet Trump halfway bullshit for an hour.  Preet called him out several times and he wouldn't even stand by his own stances he stated in his own books.  Everybody that works in Trumps orbit is a shit bag.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Oh I don't know what happens if you don't have a passport, that seems to be THE master document that establishes both residency and identify.....I'm sure it's a slow slide into shit from there.

I do know that no matter whether you have a passport or not that when you are a 16-year-old kid trying to get a license for the first time they might as well be asking for a kidney.   

I've had a passport almost as long as I've had  my license. IIRC that was one of the things I had to bring with me. Shouldn't need anything else, but I still had to bring all kinds of shit, and yeah, when my boys got their licenses, it was worse. I used to be able to renew by mail without even going in. I have no idea why I've had to go in the last 2 times. 

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The “Harris is slipping support among Black men” is a fucking myth. It’s being put out there on purpose. 

If Harris loses, it will be solely because of the lack of the White vote. Her support among Blacks (and Black men) is fucking sky high.

Jesus Christ.

I'm willing to bet the same applies to most Muslims.  There's no way logically, that they could vote for someone or support another that would basically enable a presidency for someone that vocally states his disdain for Muslims.  That's akin to voting to potentially send your family back to the hell they escaped.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I'm willing to bet the same applies to most Muslims.  There's no way logically, that they could vote for someone or support another that would basically enable a presidency for someone that vocally states his disdain for Muslims.  That's akin to voting to potentially send your family back to the hell they escaped.  

The media is amplifying the loudest voices willing to be attention whores and contrarians. Anyone whose first thought is it run to the media to shit talk Harris was never voting for her in the first place, for whatever reason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Not to be rude, but where do you sit on the org chart at your work, and is it a large organization? 

The people at the top of the food chain are often the most vulnerable, because by the very nature of the pyramid, they are farthest away from the fact gathering and thus have the least ability to determine whether the information is true or not. To that end, they must rely on the information they receive from people who supposedly know what they were talking about.   i’ll give you that the person on top needs to have it ability to tell whether or not they are being bullshitted -  and to have their own people that they trust act to vet info.

I'm sorry, but this is so much horse shit.  I mean, if all you do is rely on those below you for information why do e level execs make 200x those they rely on for information?   For fucks sake!   E levels are like the weatherman... See I told you it might rain!

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I still don’t get it.

It's the song -  Time to Say Goodbye.  The name says it all

I would say how I thought everyone knew that song, but then I wouldn't be sure what level of dork hell I just sentenced myself to.

Edited by grazinhorn
Holy Shit sounds like the song was the fucking least of it
  • Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Unbelievable that Dotard's closing message to the electorate is "I will sick the US military on anyone I don't like!". This doesn't even feel real. 

Add it to he would be willing to suspend democracy for a day (only for a day), can interfere with elections and could shoot somebody on a busy nyc street and not lose supporters and we arrive at Kamala needs to have an interview on a propaganda channel. We all admit they are a cult and he’s a fascist, let’s not agree to meet on a lawfully established nazi mouthpiece. I’ll even spare us the suspense—it won’t be 120% which is what’s needed from her, not the nazi. If she loses, let’s agree that she ran a good campaign in a rigged system that its populace failed. 

3 hours ago, sheeeit said:

The point is that Milley had access to every bit of military intelligence, cia intelligence, international intelligence etc.  I mean one of the main tenets of his job is to know this stuff.  There are likely hundreds of military people at the Pentagon and across the globe whose  job was to know what the state of the Russian military was as well as the Ukrainian military.  It is massive incompetence.  I get university officials making bad predictions or even politicians making bad predictions, but the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has to do better.  One mistake should have had him demoted but 2 spectacular failures is ridiculous.

Damn, this makes me upset that Biden appointed this guy to be in charge, if you’re so outraged about his performance. Checks notes.  Milley was appointed in 2019.

• Like 1