2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I’m glad Trump is spending all his time in the critical swing states of California, Illinois, and New York.

I'm not, please get him the fuck out.  Come back to IL to dry out and I hear dumbfuck is coming here.  As if I don't get dotard overload in FL.  Fuck, win or lose, this asshole needs to double up on his big mac intake. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Picking up 5% in my area negates 20k worth of Republican votes in other areas.  In a state won by 10k last time around, that's a big deal.  

Lil Jon What GIFs | Tenor

More Trump votes = more Trump votes.  I get the improved percentage (hopefully that carries over to other more left leaning districts)   What I want to hear is >50%D and low voter engagement in strong R districts

Edited by locodos
verbiage

30 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

"...Trump insists that [tariffs] will encourage companies to move factories back to the United States without raising costs for consumers — which is an argument many economists disagree with."

I've heard this quite a bit, phrased almost exactly the same every time.  Are there any legitimate economists who agree with Trump?

Short answer: No.  Not a one.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

As I got older, I found more White people who will exhibit microaggressions towards myself and other Blacks/Latinos while simultaneously having Black Lives Matter and LULAC/Cesar Chavez posters hanging up in their offices. 

I don’t know what that means so y’all need to figure it out 

Can you start a thread about this? I think it’s a really important topic that speaks to (among other things) why progressives struggle to gain the support of people they believe themselves to be championing.  As this forum has become more of a progressive safe space I think it’s worth discussing here. 

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Short answer: No.  Not a one.

Correct 

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He’s an absolute moron. This is definitely a simulation.

I'm in the sim camp.  Obviously not saying it's a certainty but it should be considered.  Some evidence per googles/AI:

Some evidence that suggests we might be living in a simulation includes: 

• Simulation argument
    Philosopher Nick Bostrom's statistical argument suggests that we are likely living in a simulation. 

• Laws of physics
    The laws of physics that govern the universe may resemble computer code. 

• Missing aliens
    If aliens are more technologically advanced than us, then the fact that we haven't found them could be evidence of a simulation. 

• DNA and computer code
    Researchers have been able to embed malicious computer code into DNA strands. 

• Second Law of Infodynamics
    University of Portsmouth scientist Melvin Vopson uses this law to argue that the universe's decrease in entropy over time could indicate a digital nature. 

• Quantum mechanics
    The strange and unpredictable behavior of subatomic particles could be due to glitches in a simulation. 

• Fine-tuning of physical constants
    The values of fundamental physical constants, like the speed of light, seem to be precisely tuned for life in our universe, similar to how parameters are set in simulations. 

• Computational limits
    There may be limits to how finely we can measure space and time, which could be because we live in a simulation with a finite resolution. 

• Drool 1

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Here's the thing....there's a very good chance that many of these stories are true/contain truth.  Why?

Because IT'S A FUCKING CULT.  So, is it credible that a cult member would approach the cult's diety, and be overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment? YEP.  Is it credible that they would tell tales to the cult diety to ingratiate themselves with their god?  YEP.  Might these tales be only loosely based on reality (cabinet maker is actually teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, but that's just because of woke DEI communism; the only reason he's still in business is them there tariffs, even though the cabinet maker has no idea how they figure in to things)?  YEP.

In other words, the underlying message is utter bullshit, but the event -- nutbar teary-eyed cult member tells cult deity some bullshit tale -- may have some real truth to it.

• Hook 'Em 4

So can Trump no longer understand questions?  That one where he started talking about a new AF1 in response to a question about reducing govt spending was rather concerning even for him.  Him stopping the Town Hall to dance yesterday seems even more suspicious now.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 3

So can Trump no longer understand questions?  That one where he started talking about a new AF1 in response to a question about reducing govt spending was rather concerning even for him.

I think if it’s a question he doesn’t want to answer he just starts talking about whatever he wants to talk about. Part of the aging narcissist thing. Probably a self defense mechanism.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. Becuase I'm sure whenever he played football at whatever prep school he attended at any level were playing kids from "bad neighborhoods."

Hey man, it's scary when you have to cross over the East River to play those Upper East & West Side thugs.  

42 minutes ago, locodos said:

Lil Jon What GIFs | Tenor

More Trump votes = more Trump votes.  I get the improved percentage (hopefully that carries over to other more left leaning districts)   What I want to hear is >50%D and low voter engagement in strong R districts

So my precinct had a turnout of 8k in 2020, at a percentage of 60% Republican, or 4800 votes.  If we pick up 5 percent that's 400 votes, just my precinct.  I live in a district with close to 200k votes.  2020 the totals were approximately 120k votes, if we cut in 5 points its 110k votes, negating the state total by 10k.  That's a big deal.  

• Hook 'Em 4

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm in the sim camp.  Obviously not saying it's a certainty but it should be considered.  Some evidence per googles/AI:

Some evidence that suggests we might be living in a simulation includes: 

• Simulation argument
    Philosopher Nick Bostrom's statistical argument suggests that we are likely living in a simulation. 

• Laws of physics
    The laws of physics that govern the universe may resemble computer code. 

• Missing aliens
    If aliens are more technologically advanced than us, then the fact that we haven't found them could be evidence of a simulation. 

• DNA and computer code
    Researchers have been able to embed malicious computer code into DNA strands. 

• Second Law of Infodynamics
    University of Portsmouth scientist Melvin Vopson uses this law to argue that the universe's decrease in entropy over time could indicate a digital nature. 

• Quantum mechanics
    The strange and unpredictable behavior of subatomic particles could be due to glitches in a simulation. 

• Fine-tuning of physical constants
    The values of fundamental physical constants, like the speed of light, seem to be precisely tuned for life in our universe, similar to how parameters are set in simulations. 

• Computational limits
    There may be limits to how finely we can measure space and time, which could be because we live in a simulation with a finite resolution. 

image.gif.2251ec59c8fe09956326f37276387fd0.gif

or

image.gif.6bd1026e191e30280cf160143fc06b15.gif

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I think what's most annoying about this type of propaganda is just how fucking lazy it is.

That's actually what kinda cracks me up.  It's just lazy, recycled propaganda, almost word-for-word from January of 2017:

Spicer, who served as President Trump’s first press secretary, got off to a rough start with reporters when he falsely claimed the crowd gathered at the 2017 inauguration was “the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period, both in person and around the globe.”

They just say wackadoo shit, that's not just a lie, but is the actual total opposite of the truth....and I still think he has a 50/50 shot of winning this thing.  It's fucking maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's the thing....there's a very good chance that many of these stories are true/contain truth.  Why?

Because IT'S A FUCKING CULT.  So, is it credible that a cult member would approach the cult's diety, and be overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment? YEP.  Is it credible that they would tell tales to the cult diety to ingratiate themselves with their god?  YEP.  Might these tales be only loosely based on reality (cabinet maker is actually teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, but that's just because of woke DEI communism; the only reason he's still in business is them there tariffs, even though the cabinet maker has no idea how they figure in to things)?  YEP.

In other words, the underlying message is utter bullshit, but the event -- nutbar teary-eyed cult member tells cult deity some bullshit tale -- may have some real truth to it.

I don't think the tears are from people overcome with emotion. I think it comes from when they get a whiff of his odor.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Insulted right to his face and:

1. He's too stupid to realize it

2. He's too infatuated with his own narcissism that he can't pause getting his dumbfuck thought out that he likely thinks is genius

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

31 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

So my precinct had a turnout of 8k in 2020, at a percentage of 60% Republican, or 4800 votes.  If we pick up 5 percent that's 400 votes, just my precinct.  I live in a district with close to 200k votes.  2020 the totals were approximately 120k votes, if we cut in 5 points its 110k votes, negating the state total by 10k.  That's a big deal.  

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I had to walk into my meeting, but the Bloomberg/ECC interview was getting wild when I took out my earbuds. He was busy telling Bloomberg‘S EIC that he had been “wrong” his whole career about tariffs. 

Yep. His rambling 'weave' and blatant disregard for trying to stay on topic is just a beating. The guy simply cannot just give a direct answer to a direct question. Period. He's all over the place, weaving 6 stories into a response that goes nowhere near answering the question. If anyone wants to hear what a word salad really sounds like, just go listen to that crap. Even if I liked the guy & his idiotic ideas, listening to him for any length of time would still be an absolute mind-numbing beating. Loved seeing John try to keep him on task and challenge his economic ideas, to which Trump would respond with "the others who made trade agreements before me were all idiots or corrupt", and "you've been wrong your whole life". 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, wood said:

salad really sounds like, just go listen to that crap. Even if I liked the guy & his idiotic ideas, listening to him for any length of time would still be an absolute mind-numbing beating. Loved seeing Joh

See, that is where you are wrong.  People have tears in their eyes just from listening to him.  He can do no wrong.  Just ask them.

• Haha 2

Dem strategy seems to be to juice turnout on the first day of early voting -

Obama will open up early voting in Las Vegas, Harris will open up early voting in Detroit, Walz/Obama will open up early voting in Madison

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

I also doubt he played tight end.  It wasn't really a position until the 50s, and I doubt you would have seen it much at the high school level.  It is also unlikely there were many players lifting weights.  My stepdad played for the Cornhuskers in the early 50s and weightlifting was prohibited for fear of making the players "muscle bound."    

So yeah, all of that is just bullshit he invented on the spot based on what he understand about football today. 

Dead giveaway was when he hesitated, saying "I was a tight, uh .... a tight end".

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, I literally had a nightmare last night that TFG won the election with a national popular vote margin of 50-45 (5 went to dipshit third party types).  Utterly fucking depressing.  And THEN, it got weird.  On election night, after all the parties wound down, he was occupying a shared suite -- like, we shared a bathroom -- with me and my crew.  The horrific part: he left the bathroom door open, and we saw his saggy old ass.  The great part: my crew was two attractive women, and they were not shy about prancing around the room with no clothes on.  So I'm petty sure I suggested a threesome to get the horrible evening's events out of our minds, and they enthusiastically agreed.

So, turned a nightmare into a pretty nice scenario.  Sometimes I'm not sure what to do with my subconscious mind.

rodney-dangerfield-rodney.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Take a Trumper to a gathering where they are the only white person and watch the sheer terror wash over them.

Wanted to call that out because I think you're on to something, and you're on to the different ways different people/worldviews react.

Imagine you are a non-black person invited to the classic "black people barbecue."

1920x0.jpg

There are a shitload of people who would be intimidate and freaked out about that.  And I mean more than the "well, I'm going to something I'm not entirely culturally familiar with."  I mean, flipped out thinking "no way will I go to that."  Other folks -- and I'd venture to guess most people on this board -- might have some nervousness about going to something that isn't the scene/cultural dynamic they're most used to, but they'd also think "but I bet the grub is going to be tasty as shit and it will be a DAMNED good time."

Appy that to an invitation to a quinceañera, a bar mitzvah, dinner at a mostly white country club, etc., for someone who is not a member of the dominant cultural group there.  A lot of people will freak out.  A lot of other people will be excited to try something different and have a good time with new people.  I'm betting that if you did an experiment where you rated people on their level of discomfort/willingness to attend such events, and then asked about their political preferences, there would be a healthy correlation to political preferences as well (not 100%, but a solid correlation).

The hell of it is, over my life, I've seen many of those "Trumpy" types (who aren't comfortable being surrounded by people of other races) end up at such events....and they end up having a fucking blast as their fear/resistance breaks down.  Meaning that we are heavily divided by and told to fear people by people who are selling lies, and want us at each other's throats.  At the end of the day, almost all of us would end up happy as hell after spending a day at a barbecue with people of a different race/subculture, if the people who stoke the fear and hate machines would just shut the fuck up.

Which is why I want Donald Trump to die, ASAP, so badly.  The moment he chokes on a Big Mac will be the greatest day ever.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 2

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Because I hate myself, I copy/pasted the response and asked chatGPT to rate how he answered that question:

Spoiler

I would rate the response poorly based on the following criteria:

1. Empathy and Acknowledgment (2/10😞
    The response does not directly address the woman’s concern about inflation and the high cost of groceries, which was the core of her question. While the speaker does eventually mention prices, it comes too late and lacks a direct, empathetic acknowledgment of the struggles American families are facing.

2. Clarity of Plan (2/10😞
    There is no clear, structured plan for addressing inflation or reducing grocery costs. The response meanders between different topics, from farming to border control, without offering specific policies to combat rising prices.

3. Feasibility and Relevance (3/10😞
    Some references to farming and trade could have relevance to inflation but are not tied together coherently. The focus shifts quickly to other unrelated topics like immigration and crime, diluting the response's relevance to the issue at hand.

4. Tone and Delivery (3/5):
    The tone is scattered and includes tangents that detract from the main topic. While it attempts to be conversational, it lacks the focused reassurance that a question on inflation would require.

5. Vision and Confidence (2/5):
    The response does not convey a strong vision or confidence about how inflation will be tackled. It provides no sense of direction or concrete future steps.

Total Score: 12/40

In summary, the response is unfocused, strays into unrelated issues, and fails to offer a clear plan to address the pressing concern of inflation. It also lacks the empathy and directness that the question calls for.

ChatGPT feels like a pretty charitable grader to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, UncleSonny said:

Because I hate myself, I copy/pasted the response and asked chatGPT to rate how he answered that question:

Reveal hidden contents

I would rate the response poorly based on the following criteria:

1. Empathy and Acknowledgment (2/10😞
    The response does not directly address the woman’s concern about inflation and the high cost of groceries, which was the core of her question. While the speaker does eventually mention prices, it comes too late and lacks a direct, empathetic acknowledgment of the struggles American families are facing.

2. Clarity of Plan (2/10😞
    There is no clear, structured plan for addressing inflation or reducing grocery costs. The response meanders between different topics, from farming to border control, without offering specific policies to combat rising prices.

3. Feasibility and Relevance (3/10😞
    Some references to farming and trade could have relevance to inflation but are not tied together coherently. The focus shifts quickly to other unrelated topics like immigration and crime, diluting the response's relevance to the issue at hand.

4. Tone and Delivery (3/5):
    The tone is scattered and includes tangents that detract from the main topic. While it attempts to be conversational, it lacks the focused reassurance that a question on inflation would require.

5. Vision and Confidence (2/5):
    The response does not convey a strong vision or confidence about how inflation will be tackled. It provides no sense of direction or concrete future steps.

Total Score: 12/40

In summary, the response is unfocused, strays into unrelated issues, and fails to offer a clear plan to address the pressing concern of inflation. It also lacks the empathy and directness that the question calls for.

ChatGPT feels like a pretty charitable grader to be honest. 

Ha, then I asked it to guess who said it:

Spoiler

Based on the style, tone, and content of the response, it seems likely to have been said by former President Donald Trump. The response includes several hallmarks of his speaking style, such as:

• Tangents: The response veers into unrelated topics like immigration, crime, and border security, which are common themes in Trump’s rhetoric.
  • Conversational tone: The casual, somewhat meandering approach, with interjections like "Hannibal Lecter" and mentions of "fake news," is characteristic of his off-the-cuff speaking style.
  • Frequent shifts in focus: Instead of directly addressing the question about inflation, the speaker shifts to topics like trade with China, farmers, and immigration.

All these elements are consistent with how Trump often addresses questions in a broader, less focused manner.

sad that AI it just another member of the liberal media 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

You know your precinct better than we do. There's no substitute for what you personally witnessed in line today. I just hope that those percentages improve because high turnout in Trump precincts, without knowing anything else about that turnout, sounds like bad news.

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

You know your precinct better than we do. There's no substitute for what you personally witnessed in line today. I just hope that those percentages improve because high turnout in Trump precincts, without knowing anything else about that turnout, sounds like bad news.

The Dem turnout was huge today, Republican stagnant.