2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You know your precinct better than we do. There's no substitute for what you personally witnessed in line today. I just hope that those percentages improve because high turnout in Trump precincts, without knowing anything else about that turnout, sounds like bad news.

I love how everyone reading his post misses the fucking headline - you DO know something else about that turnout, he told you....it's not about how many people are turning out, it's about the BREAKDOWN of people who are turning out, and how it's different:

Also, unscientifically and just from observation, the crowd skewed markedly younger in comparison from 2020, I would guess down from an average age of 60sih then to roughly 50ish this time.  Overheard in line behind several Republicans, "This doesn't look good."  Lots of women, lots, by my guess approximately 2 to 1.  So younger, more women, about the same amount of racial diversity.  Lots less olds, lots.  

Younger, more heavily female than before.  Geez, I am FAR from the sunshine pumper around here, but the post itself is sharing good news, not a message of "more Trump voters in my Trumpy precinct are showing up than last time."

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Js1 said:

I mean, sharing anecdotes is good and people should.  The nerds at Target Smart and the UF project will break down the numbers by party/age/sex, so we can just wait for that.

I just don't understand why someone saying "turnout was super high in my precinct and skewed younger" is immediately met with "okay BUT...."

Like god damn, let people live.

There ya go, folks -- if Js1 and I agree on a proper take like we do here, hell done froze over.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Are the registration statistics of the people who actually showed up today going to be published today?

Not to my knowledge, but I think I've been a little confusing on what I'm saying so, here goes.  The numbers I was referencing were along the lines that if the same amount of people voted as last time, we would peel off 5% of a district Republican's know they have to have to make Georgia even competitive (Atlanta is a steamroller, they have to have the margins, and my district is a margin).  They will run it up in rural counties and districts, but with very small total numbers.  What I saw today was a massive uptick in likely Dem voters, whereas Republicans were very stagnant or subdued.  Extremely encouraging, not because I think we will win my district (that would be great to tell treason tour guide Barry Loudermilk to hit the bricks) but because we are going to eat the margin they desperately need.  

Since 2 today, I have received three texts from Loudermilk's campaign (something that has never happened, by the way, not once the election has actually started, I get run of the mill campaign shit prior every year) each about getting out to vote.  What that tells me is there own internal people are worried, again, probably not for Loudermilk, but for the margins.  

Edited by BamaATL
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Not to my knowledge, but I think I've been a little confusing on what I'm saying so, here goes.  The numbers I was referencing were along the lines that if the same amount of people voted as last time, we would peel off 5% of a district Republican's know they have to have to make Georgia even competitive (Atlanta is a steamroller, they have to have the margins, and my district is a margin).  They will run it up in rural counties and districts, but with very small total numbers.  What I saw today was a massive uptick in likely Dem voters, whereas Republicans were very stagnant or subdued.  Extremely encouraging, not because I think we will win my district (that would be great to tell treason tour guide Barry Loudermilk to hit the bricks) but because we are going to eat the margin they desperately need.  

Since 2 today, I have received three texts from Loudermilk's campaign (something that has never happened, by the way, not once the election has actually started, I get run of the mill campaign shit prior every year) each about getting out to vote.  What that tells me is there own internal people are worried, again, probably not for Loudermilk, but for the margins.  

I am gruntled.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanted to call that out because I think you're on to something, and you're on to the different ways different people/worldviews react.

Imagine you are a non-black person invited to the classic "black people barbecue."

1920x0.jpg

There are a shitload of people who would be intimidate and freaked out about that.  And I mean more than the "well, I'm going to something I'm not entirely culturally familiar with."  I mean, flipped out thinking "no way will I go to that."  Other folks -- and I'd venture to guess most people on this board -- might have some nervousness about going to something that isn't the scene/cultural dynamic they're most used to, but they'd also think "but I bet the grub is going to be tasty as shit and it will be a DAMNED good time."

Appy that to an invitation to a quinceañera, a bar mitzvah, dinner at a mostly white country club, etc., for someone who is not a member of the dominant cultural group there.  A lot of people will freak out.  A lot of other people will be excited to try something different and have a good time with new people.  I'm betting that if you did an experiment where you rated people on their level of discomfort/willingness to attend such events, and then asked about their political preferences, there would be a healthy correlation to political preferences as well (not 100%, but a solid correlation).

The hell of it is, over my life, I've seen many of those "Trumpy" types (who aren't comfortable being surrounded by people of other races) end up at such events....and they end up having a fucking blast as their fear/resistance breaks down.  Meaning that we are heavily divided by and told to fear people by people who are selling lies, and want us at each other's throats.  At the end of the day, almost all of us would end up happy as hell after spending a day at a barbecue with people of a different race/subculture, if the people who stoke the fear and hate machines would just shut the fuck up.

Which is why I want Donald Trump to die, ASAP, so badly.  The moment he chokes on a Big Mac will be the greatest day ever.

I think other races are used to this because we are in it on the daily. My people are 14%. Even less where I live. Even less less where I work. So going to a gathering where I am the only black person is just another Tuesday. Same with most non-whites.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I think other races are used to this because we are in it on the daily. My people are 14%. Even less where I live. Even less less where I work. So going to a gathering where I am the only black person is just another Tuesday. Same with most non-whites.

Absolutely.  Minorities (as in "an actual minority of the local population") have to figure that out quickly.  And it can be uncomfortable as hell, particularly because the overall dominant group (in the US, that's historically been white people) doesn't even realize if they're being unfriendly/not welcoming to a minority.  Whereas minorities are acutely away of what it feels like to be an "outsider," so they can be more welcoming.  Sure, you're gonna get some "white boy" cracks at the black people barbecue.....but odds are, they're going to be funny and well-intentioned.  Whereas a minority showing up at the country club dinner....the crowd might not be so well-intentioned.

With the obvious caveat that every crowd and dynamic is different, there's no universal truth: a white dude can be treated like shit at a black people barbecue, and a white country club crowd can be amazing hosts to minority guests.  We're speaking in generalities here.  

But to your point, just understanding that to be a black person in Whiteville USA is to spend every day as just a little bit of an outsider.  So, maybe try to understand and have some empathy for that -- imagine being a white dude in a 95% black community, every day for the rest of your life.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hmmm.  Montana:

50-60k isn't going to do much to the presidential level (Trump won by 100k) but Bullock only lost by 61k in 2020.  And Tester is an incumbent. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

You know what's great about that?  I posted it on FB because we totally know that will change everyone's mind but, honestly, I do feel like a lot of his passive "he's a Republican so he gets my vote" supporters don't realize the things he says.  It is simple.  The question is asked and there is a transcript of the answer.  No commentary.  Just the answer.  If just enough doubt can be sowed to get someone to either switch their vote or simply not vote, it is a victory.  Honestly, sowing apathy onto their side is a win.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Trump's answers remind me of a smartass comment I make whenever anyone tells me "I got a question for you."  I say, I have an answer, it might not be the right answer, it might not be the answer you want to hear, it might not even make any sense, but I always got an answer.

Sounds like Mrs. Wood (no pics). She'll make up absolutely insane, impossibly wrong shit before she'll ever say "Sorry, I don't know". 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Other folks -- and I'd venture to guess most people on this board -- might have some nervousness about going to something that isn't the scene/cultural dynamic they're most used to, but they'd also think "but I bet the grub is going to be tasty as shit and it will be a DAMNED good time."

Nah man... invite me over.  We were tubing over Memorial Day Weekend at one of those son's river places and I really really wanted every massive Mexican family cookout to invite me over. Then again, I speak Spanish and I'm all about going to Mexican meat markets because they have the best marinated meat.  Racist while people are dumbasses.  Not only are they dumbasses because they are racists (duh) but they are missing out.  More for me.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Because it doesn't matter when you can spin anything into "they're tough on me" or "this guy has never liked me" and make it a grievance. That's all he plays to now. The grievances of men, white women, olds, and younger voters that are assholes. 

There you go

Just now, texasdago said:

Nah man... invite me over.  We were tubing over Memorial Day Weekend at one of those son's river places and I really really wanted every massive Mexican family cookout to invite me over. Then again, I speak Spanish and I'm all about going to Mexican meat markets because they have the best marinated meat.  Racist while people are dumbasses.  Not only are they dumbasses because they are racists (duh) but they are missing out.  More for me.

Sure.  And I'm mostly that way.  But I'm self-aware enough to admit at least a little bit of nerves when invited to something outside my cultural wheelhouse.  I've been to plenty of "black people barbecues," but if it's a crowd I don't really know well, I've got a bit of nerves.  No hesitation, because experience tells me I'm gonna have a great time and eat well, but still a bit of nerves.  Which is human and ordinary.

And yeah, being around a vanilla white guy who is at his first pachanga or whatnot and gets a taste of all the goodness is fun as hell.  Hell, it's that way for ANY different cultural experience -- I've been to a hazara afghan birthday party, an armenian khorovats, argentine parillas, more messican cookouts than you can shake a stick at (yeah, that's cheating for me), SETX black folks' bbqs, seder meals, walked in and had a meal at a Somali restaurant in Inglewood by myself, only non-somali there, all kinds of shit.  And invariably....the grub is top-notch.  And people are proud to show it off and share it with you.  Which goes back to maybe the underlying thesis -- if we'd just embrace these things, which I think a lot of folks have an instinct to do, we'll get along so much better and make real progress.  But some people -- and it's NO fucking mystery who they are -- have a vested interest in dividing us and DEMONIZING the other (which is different than holding all of us accountable for our actions, etc.).  I bet that if everyone in Springfield, Ohio sat down and had a great meal of Hatian food with their new neighbors, they'd make some real progress towards getting along.  Not perfection, there are and will always be assholes and friction.  But progress, and shared humanity and experience.  Instead...."they're eating the dogs, they're eating the cats, and no matter that they are here legally, they are illegal."

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

Why are there so many stupid ass trump supporters in the crowd? Fucking hell

Because Trump made sure they'd be there.  And it doesn't sound like there are that many. They're just disproportionately loud.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Constant said:

IMG_7823.thumb.png.50a71fa5087f50a1622ce749fd30a63b.png

I suppose they caught my drift. 

I have "Fuck off, fascists" saved as a quick copy-and-paste reply for these.  Most of the Trumpy ones auto-read it as an unsubscribe.  Tells you how frequently they get that response.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Do you live in the Austin area?

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Absolutely.  Minorities (as in "an actual minority of the local population") have to figure that out quickly.  And it can be uncomfortable as hell, particularly because the overall dominant group (in the US, that's historically been white people) doesn't even realize if they're being unfriendly/not welcoming to a minority.  Whereas minorities are acutely away of what it feels like to be an "outsider," so they can be more welcoming.  Sure, you're gonna get some "white boy" cracks at the black people barbecue.....but odds are, they're going to be funny and well-intentioned.  Whereas a minority showing up at the country club dinner....the crowd might not be so well-intentioned.

With the obvious caveat that every crowd and dynamic is different, there's no universal truth: a white dude can be treated like shit at a black people barbecue, and a white country club crowd can be amazing hosts to minority guests.  We're speaking in generalities here.  

But to your point, just understanding that to be a black person in Whiteville USA is to spend every day as just a little bit of an outsider.  So, maybe try to understand and have some empathy for that -- imagine being a white dude in a 95% black community, every day for the rest of your life.

The worst mistake I made at a black BBQ was trying to switch up the dominoes game.

"Say do you guys play 42?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

She really looked exhausted and just completely beat down during that whole sequence, like "I can only do so much with this imbecile. I'm not a miracle worker".

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure.  And I'm mostly that way.  But I'm self-aware enough to admit at least a little bit of nerves when invited to something outside my cultural wheelhouse.  I've been to plenty of "black people barbecues," but if it's a crowd I don't really know well, I've got a bit of nerves.  No hesitation, because experience tells me I'm gonna have a great time and eat well, but still a bit of nerves.  Which is human and ordinary.

And yeah, being around a vanilla white guy who is at his first pachanga or whatnot and gets a taste of all the goodness is fun as hell.  Hell, it's that way for ANY different cultural experience -- I've been to a hazara afghan birthday party, an armenian khorovats, argentine parillas, more messican cookouts than you can shake a stick at (yeah, that's cheating for me), SETX black folks' bbqs, seder meals, walked in and had a meal at a Somali restaurant in Inglewood by myself, only non-somali there, all kinds of shit.  And invariably....the grub is top-notch.  And people are proud to show it off and share it with you.  Which goes back to maybe the underlying thesis -- if we'd just embrace these things, which I think a lot of folks have an instinct to do, we'll get along so much better and make real progress.  But some people -- and it's NO fucking mystery who they are -- have a vested interest in dividing us and DEMONIZING the other (which is different than holding all of us accountable for our actions, etc.).  I bet that if everyone in Springfield, Ohio sat down and had a great meal of Hatian food with their new neighbors, they'd make some real progress towards getting along.  Not perfection, there are and will always be assholes and friction.  But progress, and shared humanity and experience.  Instead...."they're eating the dogs, they're eating the cats, and no matter that they are here legally, they are illegal."

Best thing I ever did was live in Brazil and it was great for several reasons. I realized that even though everyone was nice and thought I was Portuguese for the first time in my life I was a minority somewhere. It’s humbling 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ari Melber has some Dotard bootlicker on, for some reason. Apparently, Dotard's rhetoric isn't an issue. In fact, it's the democrats' rhetoric that is the problem. Also Trump said to be peaceful on 1/6 so no problem there either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It's a cookout, not black people barbecue. I will pistol whip the next person who types that out.

You make the jobs of Republicans easier when you respond back telling them to fuck off.

Sorry, but the people who invited me and hosted the cookout used those exact words. 

MIA, ever been to a black BBQ?

Fuck yea I have.

Alright bring some potato salad and there best be no motherfucking raisins in it.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’ll be there as well. You guys should look me up. My name is Trump IsFat. You can reach me via email: trumpisfat@gmail.com

He's not fat! He's on the best amphetamines. Many people are saying his amphetamines are the best, and strong men come to him with tears in their eyes, saying ""sir, a man your age can't handle all those amphetamines," and tell them "I am in perfect health," and they tell me "sir, you're such a strong man. nobody has ever taken so many amphetamines and survived." We love them, that's why "I'm 6'4, 215, and I have the stamina of an ox.""

Edited by chainsaw
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry, but the people who invited me and hosted the cookout used those exact words. 

MIA, ever been to a black BBQ?

Fuck yea I have.

Alright bring some potato salad and there best be no motherfucking raisins in it.

I’d have been tempted to bring the mayo potato salad and see what transpires.

• Haha 2