2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Trump is getting ready to use the tried and true Mafia trick of pretending to be crazier than he really is. As it becomes clearer that he will lose the election and go to jail, he will appear increasingly unmoored to reality. Look for him to come to a rally in robe and slippers and talk even more insanely than he currently doing. He wants to be judged too mentally and physically infirmed to serve a prison term. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the topic of having a conversation with a rational Trump person, I did in ~ 2019. I used to have a group of 8 friends that were all really tight, knew each other since HS at minimum and most of us back to grade school. Trump broke us up. Probably my fault because I'm stubborn. I'm not sure the other anti Trump people are as hard headed about it as I am. 

Anyway 3 guys. One guy is a single issue Catholic from an ethnic background that always voted pro life and adopted Trump as his hero because he's a huge troll. One guy has become a q/conspiracy guy. And then the rational, likeable smart guy.

He's a dentist that co owns his own practice. He told us in 2017 he had voted for him but would never do so again. By the time 2019 came around, he had changed his mind. His answer was something along the lines of the Dems want to tax small businesses 10,000 a year. I lost a ton of respect for him in that moment and he felt it. He and I have been friendly but not the same since that moment. It sucks. 

The other two guys I do everything in my power to avoid.

Dentist and Q guy grew up as country club kids.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Got an inkling of this back in 2020.  I had this young, attractive Asian pedicurist that I frequented at a salon on the edge of my neighborhood.  She was attending UNT and working her way through college.  She and I always joked around a lot about various stupid shit and she seemed pretty liberal in her views but we never discussed politics.  She was essentially my pedicurist for two years.  Hell, we even exchanged cheap little Christmas presents for a couple of years.

One day about a month before the election, out of the blue she asked me who I was voting for POTUS.  I responded by saying something along the lines of "anyone but the orange baboon".  She looked at me like I'd called her mother a whore.  We cordially argued over him for a few minutes and thought we'd left it at that.  The next time I went to schedule an appointment with her I was told she wasn't available.  We never spoke again.  Was crazy as hell.  The nice owner told me she was maga as hell. 

Oh well. 

Dear Penthouse,

I got an inkling of this back in 2020.  I had this young, attractive Asian pedicurist that I frequented at a salon on the edge of my neighborhood…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Imagine you are a non-black person invited to the classic "black people barbecue."

There are a shitload of people who would be intimidate and freaked out about that.  And I mean more than the "well, I'm going to something I'm not entirely culturally familiar with."  I mean, flipped out thinking "no way will I go to that."  Other folks -- and I'd venture to guess most people on this board -- might have some nervousness about going to something that isn't the scene/cultural dynamic they're most used to, but they'd also think "but I bet the grub is going to be tasty as shit and it will be a DAMNED good time."

Apply that to an invitation to a quinceañera, a bar mitzvah, dinner at a mostly white country club, etc., for someone who is not a member of the dominant cultural group there.  A lot of people will freak out.  A lot of other people will be excited to try something different and have a good time with new people.  I'm betting that if you did an experiment where you rated people on their level of discomfort/willingness to attend such events, and then asked about their political preferences, there would be a healthy correlation to political preferences as well (not 100%, but a solid correlation).

A sane person, when invited to an event where they are not a member of the dominant cultural group there, should be thinking “out of the dozens or hundreds of people, there has to be at least one person here who wants to experiment with somebody new and put a notch on their bedpost and fuck me”.

quagmire GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

What I’m digging about New Zealand the most is the unabashed embrace of cultural diversity displayed everywhere in every circumstance.  Here, it’s not even a thing to think about.  Everywhere people of different races and backgrounds are dating, chatting, working together just happy as they can be.  

Imagine, actually being happy instead of focusing on hating differences 

What’s it like to fuck a hobbit?  Or at least somebody cosplaying as one?

Not asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wanted to call that out because I think you're on to something, and you're on to the different ways different people/worldviews react.

Imagine you are a non-black person invited to the classic "black people barbecue."

1920x0.jpg

There are a shitload of people who would be intimidate and freaked out about that.  And I mean more than the "well, I'm going to something I'm not entirely culturally familiar with."  I mean, flipped out thinking "no way will I go to that."  Other folks -- and I'd venture to guess most people on this board -- might have some nervousness about going to something that isn't the scene/cultural dynamic they're most used to, but they'd also think "but I bet the grub is going to be tasty as shit and it will be a DAMNED good time."

Appy that to an invitation to a quinceañera, a bar mitzvah, dinner at a mostly white country club, etc., for someone who is not a member of the dominant cultural group there.  A lot of people will freak out.  A lot of other people will be excited to try something different and have a good time with new people.  I'm betting that if you did an experiment where you rated people on their level of discomfort/willingness to attend such events, and then asked about their political preferences, there would be a healthy correlation to political preferences as well (not 100%, but a solid correlation).

The hell of it is, over my life, I've seen many of those "Trumpy" types (who aren't comfortable being surrounded by people of other races) end up at such events....and they end up having a fucking blast as their fear/resistance breaks down.  Meaning that we are heavily divided by and told to fear people by people who are selling lies, and want us at each other's throats.  At the end of the day, almost all of us would end up happy as hell after spending a day at a barbecue with people of a different race/subculture, if the people who stoke the fear and hate machines would just shut the fuck up.

Which is why I want Donald Trump to die, ASAP, so badly.  The moment he chokes on a Big Mac will be the greatest day ever.

All I know is that every time I’ve been the only white guy someplace where food was served, I ate well. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

He/she should get out more.  Travis County DA has “Bad Cop Database” tattooed on his left bicep.  

Sure. And when a cop gets fired for shit and then applies in a new jurisdiction, they OFTEN fail to do any due diligence, or a TCOLE check, even a simple Open Records Request that any dipshit on this message board can do. They get a new job, commit more violations, etc., rinse and repeat.

I am so frustrated. Tonight. One of my good friends admitted to me that he's going to be voting Trump. He said he knows he's evil but won't vote Kamala. This is a guy who is very smart, received his master's degree overseas. Speaks three languages. Worldly, travels, intelligent and thoughtful and he's voting Trump. I'm telling you it just makes me sad and very very disappointed. He's still my friend but I'm really disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 4

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Here we have Trump’s stream of consciousness. Unsurprising at this point, he’s playing the hits on autopilot. Rudderless and exhausted. I hope his madness will be publicized and antagonized. The next three weeks will be hell on him, inshallah.

Defining ineffable are the collective thoughts of audience members. I would pay good money to John Malckovich into one of those brains temporarily. The things they reconcile and ignore defy sanity.

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

You're a better man than I. I have no desire to be friends with anyone who supports dotard. 

This. Would be quickly untangling myself from that friendship 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I am so frustrated. Tonight. One of my good friends admitted to me that he's going to be voting Trump. He said he knows he's evil but won't vote Kamala. This is a guy who is very smart, received his master's degree overseas. Speaks three languages. Worldly, travels, intelligent and thoughtful and he's voting Trump. I'm telling you it just makes me sad and very very disappointed. He's still my friend but I'm really disappointed.

Did he explain why?

12 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

You're a better man than I. I have no desire to be friends with anyone who supports dotard. 

If your friendships can't survive shit like that, maybe they're all really just acquaintances.  Giving in to political tribalism to the extent of abandoning strong, lifelong relationships just seems completely stupid to me.  People get fucked up and lost.  It happens.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

He's evil himself.....
I would dump the shit out of that friend Dago.  Somebody who will tell you they KNOW something is evil, but I'm getting on the train (he could just sit it out) is not a good person. 

This.
Dump him. He’s a bad person. These things are beyond negotiation or discussion. Enough. Good and decent people have an obligation to draw that line.
  • Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Giving in to political tribalism to the extent of abandoning strong, lifelong relationships just seems completely stupid

“No it’s cool bro, I get that you support the systematic murder of the Jewish people. We can still hang out and have some beers!” 

Yeah that doesn’t track with me 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

If your friendships can't survive shit like that, maybe they're all really just acquaintances.  Giving in to political tribalism to the extent of abandoning strong, lifelong relationships just seems completely stupid to me.

Would this sentiment have applied in Germany in, oh, let's say, the 1930s?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Wrong. Voting for Trump is more than a simple political matter. This is not a difference of opinion on whether the new highway should be free or tolled. It’s a statement of whether you’re a decent human or not. Enough. It is time.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

“No it’s cool bro, I get that you support the systematic murder of the Jewish people. We can still hang out and have some beers!” 

Yeah that doesn’t track with me 

Happy for you that it's all so clear and simple.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I play pickup baseball with a guy I know supports Trump, but I only know because of a few Facebook posts, never talks about it and has only posted a couple of times. That’s about as close as I can get. Have some others I know but they are acquaintances or professional connections and they don’t talk much about it either. I honestly don’t see where or how I’d come across a loudmouth maga fuck in my in any foreseeable setting. I just don’t operate at all in those spaces.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Supporting and voting for Donald Trump literally endangers many of my friends and even some family. It's not political tribalism to cut ties with someone who will vote to have my friends and family attacked and potentially deported.

I keep trying to convince them otherwise.  It's started to resonate.  If I had abandoned it and them, would that have happened?  Fuck no.  And these are people who were not lifelong Republicans.  They were susceptible because of social media and some temporary life failures.  Not calling them victims, but there are some explanations for this shit.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, texasdago said:

A smart person would ask him why because there’s no justifiable reason.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

A smart person would ask him why because there’s no justifiable reason.

Absolutely.  A caring friend would ask.  And ask.  And ask.  Hold them accountable for their opinion.  Push them.  Challenge them.  "Oh, you are voting for Trump?  Then why don't you have a t-shirt.  Or a sign,  Or a flag.  What are you hiding from?"

Edited by SizzleChest

4 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

If your friendships can't survive shit like that, maybe they're all really just acquaintances.  Giving in to political tribalism to the extent of abandoning strong, lifelong relationships just seems completely stupid to me.  People get fucked up and lost.  It happens.

Could you explain how (and when) these broken, proudly ignorant, hate-filled  bigots will have an epiphany and get un-fucked up and un-lost?

“Yeah, so you want to send the military against political opponents of your candidate and revoke the FCC license of any news that questions him? Interesting.  Man, the Horns look good this year. “

I launch those old friends and tell them why.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Early voting profiling check in from semi rural Georgia.

I encountered 4 other voter this morning: a grizzled, beaten down white gut with a confederate flag for his front license plate, a 40-something Black women dressed for some office job, and a FBC-looking couple decked out in UGA gear.

Extrapolating this data to the entire state…

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Could you explain how (and when) these broken, proudly ignorant, hate-filled  bigots will have an epiphany and get un-fucked up and un-lost?

I don't know, man.  I know them and have been very close for 30 years.  I just try to unfuck them.  That's all.  If it works, it's a win.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, texasdago said:

giving him the benefit of the doubt, it should at least make you very suspicious of where he's getting his news.

assuming facebook?

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I have plenty of Trump-voting friends/family/co-workers. Most hide behind some combination of economy/taxes/guns, and make a point to remain willfully ignorant to all the other shit Trump and those who empower him do and say. I think it's dumb, naive, selfish, and dangerous, but I have no desire to ever try to talk, let alone convince people of, politics in person. They keep it mostly to themselves and are largely the same people that they were a decade ago. It is what it is.

However, a good chunk of the Trump voters that I know have become completely broken and oblivious to social cues and polite conversation. They'll find any and every opportunity to workshop the latest conspiracy theories on their "audience", make trans jokes, and casually slip in various hateful/bigoted/misogynistic/xenophobic shit. They're a chore to be around, and I don't want my kids anywhere near them.

Where not obliged by mandatory family get togethers, I've unapologetically jettisoned that group into the fucking sun.

Man no offense at all but I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. I don't think I have the temperament to put up with it. 

Edited by Baboontyme
Sounded like an asshole

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Get new friends 

• Like 1