2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Maybe send your friend this clip and ask him how with all his pursuits of worldly knowledge, he can be fine with picking this guy over her. Maybe your friend is just a racist or misogynist. 

Voting for Trump shows a lack of character, a lack of empathy, and a desire to not give two shits if the least of us are hurt in the next 4 years. I don't give two shits about people thinking Trump is good for the economy because frankly that's just playing into their narcissism and myopia. That man is going to do a lot of harm to people who don't deserve it. That speaks to the character of someone I would not want to be friends with. But it's your job to challenge your friend when he goes down that stupid fucking MAGA rabbit hole. And I fuck off if that person thinks "well he's going to have people who make sure he doesn't do bad stuff". Yeah, that's really going to work out the 2nd time when all the good people in the government and military are rooted out. 

once upon time in hwood yeah thats about right.gif

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I would dump the shit out of that friend Dago.  Somebody who will tell you they KNOW something is evil, but I'm getting on the train (he could just sit it out) is not a good person. 

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

If your friendships can't survive shit like that, maybe they're all really just acquaintances.  Giving in to political tribalism to the extent of abandoning strong, lifelong relationships just seems completely stupid to me.  People get fucked up and lost.  It happens.

46 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Absolutely.  A caring friend would ask.  And ask.  And ask.  Hold them accountable for their opinion.  Push them.  Challenge them.  "Oh, you are voting for Trump?  Then why don't you have a t-shirt.  Or a sign,  Or a flag.  What are you hiding from?"

Sometimes you owe it to your friendship to try and sort these people out.

It’s like if you were friends with a guy named Tim, and you were both a couple of young PFCs sitting in a Juarez jail wondering how you’re going to get back to Fort Bliss without a shitload of people coming down on you, and you’re brainstorming and and Tim ultimately empties out his savings account to fix things, even though you know he’s been saving for almost a year to buy that shitty worn-out ‘85 GT Hatchback Mustang because the two of you are just going to pull in the ladies driving around El Paso in that thing.

Or a few years later when you’re out of the Army, and you’re in Midland, banging some big ole gal you two work with and that you’ve secretly nicknamed Bertha, who probably weighs as much as the two of you combined, and after 45 minutes, maybe it’s the alcohol or the really long day at work, but you hit that brick wall, and you realize that you can’t get the job done, and you don’t have to keep up the facade in front of Tim because he knows you like few do, and you literally reach over to Tim who is sitting on the couch watching TV and tag him, and he hops up and takes your place, and he gets Bertha over the edge in 25 minutes while you recover on the couch, and you’re grateful to him knowing he won’t tell anybody, and he’s grateful to you for ending his slump, and Bertha is grateful to the two of you for doing something in 70 minutes that her husband hasn’t been able to do after three kids and 23 years of marriage. 

And then nearly 30 years later, Tim is in Austin for a wedding and you two are catching up after not talking for a few months  and he drops the little “I don’t think I can vote for Kamala” bombshell.

At that point, in your head you want to keep that friendship, but he’s giving off signs of voting for Trump, and while you know you can’t make him vote for Kamala, you can at least convince him to watch some clips of Trump and read an article or two about Arlington and his views on Vietnam POWs and the Purple Heart thing and at least get Tim to leave the line empty.

Thats just one hypothetical example of what to do with a longtime friend who gives off signs of voting for Trump.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Voting for Trump shows a lack of character, a lack of empathy, and a desire to not give two shits if the least of us are hurt in the next 4 years. I don't give two shits about people thinking Trump is good for the economy because frankly that's just playing into their narcissism and myopia. That man is going to do a lot of harm to people who don't deserve it. That speaks to the character of someone I would not want to be friends with. But it's your job to challenge your friend when he goes down that stupid fucking MAGA rabbit hole. And I fuck off if that person thinks "well he's going to have people who make sure he doesn't do bad stuff". Yeah, that's really going to work out the 2nd time when all the good people in the government and military are rooted out. 

McMaster said the same stuff--which means they think they can control his brand of evil, which is a god awful reckoning as well.

Part of being a Trump supporter is being a troll, unfortunately.  They don't recognize boundaries, which is made all the more difficult when their leader talks about locking up opponents.  That's not just media, illegals, brown people (yeah, he's disparaged legal minorities), and political opponents--that's anybody that doesn't support their views about suspending Democracy.  That leads to some Anne Frank level shit that's really going to tax the friendship if this ass clown gets elected.  It's better to believe what Trump's publicly preaching, then thinking he won't be so bad or will only go after others, which is a god awful rationale that has to be done to pull the lever for turnip.  It sucks realizing that followers have to dehumanize others to support someone like Trump because we don't think like that.    

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s like if you were friends with a guy named Tim, and you were both a couple of young PFCs sitting in a Juarez jail wondering how you’re going to get back to Fort Bliss without a shitload of people coming down on you, and you’re brainstorming and and Tim ultimately empties out his savings account to fix things, even though you know he’s been saving for almost a year to buy that shitty worn-out ‘85 GT Hatchback Mustang because the two of you are just going to pull in the ladies driving around El Paso in that thing.

Or a few years later when you’re out of the Army, and you’re in Midland, banging some big ole gal you two work with and that you’ve secretly nicknamed Bertha, who probably weighs as much as the two of you combined, and after 45 minutes, maybe it’s the alcohol or the really long day at work, but you hit that brick wall, and you realize that you can’t get the job done, and you don’t have to keep up the facade in front of Tim because he knows you like few do, and you literally reach over to Tim who is sitting on the couch watching TV and tag him, and he hops up and takes your place, and he gets Bertha over the edge in 25 minutes while you recover on the couch, and you’re grateful to him knowing he won’t tell anybody, and he’s grateful to you for ending his slump, and Bertha is grateful to the two of you for doing something in 70 minutes that her husband hasn’t been able to do after three kids and 23 years of marriage. 

And then nearly 30 years later, Tim is in Austin for a wedding and you two are catching up after not talking for a few months  and he drops the little “I don’t think I can vote for Kamala” bombshell.

At that point, in your heads you want to keep that friendship, but he’s giving off signs of voting for Trump, and while you know you can’t make him vote for Kamala, you can at least convince him to watch some clips of Trump and read an article or two about Arlington and his views on Vietnam POWs and the Purple Heart thing and at least get Tim to leave the line empty.

Thats just o e hypothetical example of what to do with a longtime friend who gives off signs of voting for Trump.

So Tim is watching tv on the couch while you’re just banging away at a fat chick?  You’re a weird guy Atom. A weird guy. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

You make the jobs of Republicans easier when you respond back telling them to fuck off.

Yup.  I don’t respond but mark it as “Junk” .  If enough people do that the texts get blocked from being sent to others thus depressing their outreach.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You have to confirm with a mobile number…fuck that.

This is why I maintain my free Google Voice number 

• Hook 'Em 1

McMaster said the same stuff--which means they think they can control his brand of evil, which is a god awful reckoning as well.
Part of being a Trump supporter is being a troll, unfortunately.  They don't recognize boundaries, which is made all the more difficult when their leader talks about locking up opponents.  That's not just media, illegals, brown people (yeah, he's disparaged legal minorities), and political opponents--that's anybody that doesn't support their views about suspending Democracy.  That leads to some Anne Frank level shit that's really going to tax the friendship if this ass clown gets elected.  It's better to believe what Trump's publicly preaching, then thinking he won't be so bad or will only go after others, which is a god awful rationale that has to be done to pull the lever for turnip.  It sucks realizing that followers have to dehumanize others to support someone like Trump because we don't think like that.    

It doesn’t matter if he’s a good kid from a good family and you’ve known him a long time and really he just got misguided….when he puts on the SS uniform of voting for Trump, it’s done. He has made his choice. He has joined a war against all non-Trump supporters (that is literally what the man he is voting for has said). It’s done.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Man no offense at all but I'm glad I don't have to deal with that. I don't think I have the temperament to put up with it. 

To be fair, I did say Trump-voting, not Trump supporting. They'd vote for another R if they could, but whatever it takes to keep the radical left away from their taxes and guns. And they feel all the "noise" around Trump is overblown by the media. Most people enjoy living in their blissful ignorance when shit doesn't directly affect them.

All the people in the back: Propaganda fucking works!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Probably because Biden doesn't want to because he's old school on crime and the War on Drugs?

Biden did move to reschedule marijuana and pardon people convicted of certain marijuana related offenses. Those are big moves that no other president has made. Things at the federal level don’t usually move super fast. Biden got the ball rolling and Harris and keep the momentum up.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

To be fair, I did say Trump-voting, not Trump supporting. They'd vote for another R if they could, but whatever it takes to keep the radical left away from their taxes and guns. And they feel all the "noise" around Trump is overblown by the media. Most people enjoy living in their blissful ignorance when shit doesn't directly affect them.

All the people in the back: Propaganda fucking works!

De-programming opportunities galore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

So Tim is watching tv on the couch while you’re just banging away at a fat chick?  You’re a weird guy Atom. A weird guy. 

Harsh Bro.  Bertha’s been waddling around work telling people at the water cooler that Atom has a problem with premature ejaculation.    

I think we should all just give him some space

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Something tells me this absolutely happened. Mainly because I was in Tim's situation but my buddy walked out and slammed a beer then said "a mans got to do what a man has to do" then returned to the bedroom to finish the job.

• Hook 'Em 1

The few Trump voters I know personally are not inclined to discuss him at all anymore I think a kind of political dysphoria has set in and their reticence is proof of their intention to vote for him, come what may.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Mole said:

Early voting profiling check in from semi rural Georgia.

I encountered 4 other voter this morning: a grizzled, beaten down white gut with a confederate flag for his front license plate, a 40-something Black women dressed for some office job, and a FBC-looking couple decked out in UGA gear.

Extrapolating this data to the entire state…

I mean, isn't that basically the state in a nutshell?

2 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Easy response is why hasn't the Biden Admin done it then 

Aside form Biden being 119 years old and more conservative on some social issues, do you know how laws are passed in this country?

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

At that point, in your head you want to keep that friendship, but he’s giving off signs of voting for Trump, and while you know you can’t make him vote for Kamala, you can at least convince him to watch some clips of Trump and read an article or two about Arlington and his views on Vietnam POWs and the Purple Heart thing and at least get Tim to leave the line empty.

Thats just one hypothetical example of what to do with a longtime friend who gives off signs of voting for Trump.

Laugh Lol GIF

• Haha 3

So, all this talk of "black ppl bbq" raises the issue of "assimilation."

Thatguy's story relates code-switching and behavior designed not to alarm the honkies.  In some ways, it's a shame that has to happen, especially because "his people" in most cases were not voluntary immigrants and were essentially forced not to assimilate by not being allowed to participate in society.

In other ways, such assimilative behavior is probably a natural and beneficial, maybe, consequence of immigration.  It's the melting part of the melting pot.

Clearly, those minority/immigrant groups that have not yet or not rapidly assimilated make the majority or minority/majority (e.g. wypipo) very nervous.  I think, historically, the "separatism" of a lot of Jewish sects has reinforced anti-Semitism worldwide (it's the Hasids and orthodox that draw the caricatures and less so the more Reformed and secular Jews).  And, you hear that kind of complaint ("they don't assimilate") for Muslim immigrants I think especially in Europe.

Also, assimilation tends to imply an acceptance of aspects of the minority culture by the majority, so it's a two-way street.  I don't think assimilation should be expected or required.  But it is what tends to make even us honky, cracker-ass Americans more American than English, French, Scottish, German or Dutch.

Kind of a thread-jack, but I have been curious about the role of assimilation by immigrants in "national racism" for a while now.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I struggle with Trump people I know. I try to avoid the topic and convince where I can. But the thing that stops me about Dago’s post above is…this person said they are aware they are voting for someone evil. If that’s ACTUALLY what they said…that’s not lost. That’s a complete understanding and still making a conscious choice for Evil. Hell, the guy could have said he just won’t vote. But he’s willingly voting for evil. If that’s what actually went down, then that isn’t lost. That’s knowingly complicit. 

117079567c1c40229648c822ee863dd6

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

Probably because Biden doesn't want to because he's old school on crime and the War on Drugs?

Also, Biden has some personal experience with addiction that probably makes him wary of the whole thing.  But I think it's mostly because he's old.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't disagree with any of that, but if you are intending to vote to hurt my family I have no obligation to continue being your friend. Especially if it's already been explained and you've made your choice. In that situation I'm not the one who terminated the friendship. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, texasdago said:

I am so frustrated. Tonight. One of my good friends admitted to me that he's going to be voting Trump. He said he knows he's evil but won't vote Kamala. This is a guy who is very smart, received his master's degree overseas. Speaks three languages. Worldly, travels, intelligent and thoughtful and he's voting Trump. I'm telling you it just makes me sad and very very disappointed. He's still my friend but I'm really disappointed.

Man this is tough and I'm kinda in the same boat, but if you can talk to them (not lecture) then you can largely deprogram them over time.   My friend, whom I have known since I was 5 is not that educated.  He has a quick wit and high EQ and can figure out how to do just about anything except pass college English.  He has an undiagnosed learning disability along with dyslexia.  But his family's ethos seemed to be "help is for the weak, just work harder" Now he has his own service company that he truly built himself from scratch.  But making rounds in a truck and listening to talk radio is a hell of a drug.

9 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Could you explain how (and when) these broken, proudly ignorant, hate-filled  bigots will have an epiphany and get un-fucked up and un-lost?

Almost daily conversations over years.  Calmly using facts to wash off the layers of BS.  Then reinforce conversations with supporting info from actual experts not youtube influencers.  One of the things that worked surprisingly well when he talked about podcasts and youtube channels was to ask him about what products they were selling.  I think that made the connection that these aren't truth bringers, but charlatans.  I talked with him a lot about social media engagement mechanisms designed enrage and delight.  One of his guys was the one who dragged him down the rabbit hole, but he quit after my friend got vaccinated and that's helped out a lot. (yes I had to talk him through all that) 

tl/dr if you care about the person you will help them not drown in a sea of bullshit.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, assimilation tends to imply an acceptance of aspects of the minority culture by the majority, so it's a two-way street. 

No.

You’re sort of talking about acculturation, not assimilation.