2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a fucking boatload of malarky...I don't even know where to start. A man talking about the rule of law in favor of a guy who gassed peaceful protestors for a photo-op...a man talking the rule of law for someone who has said he'll suspend the laws to be a dictator on day one. A man talking about the rule of law who sent a mob at the capital when an election didn't go his way. A man who demonstably attempted to send fake electors. A twice impeached president with audio of a phone call demanding the GA secretary of state to find him 11k votes. The rule of law for a man who said legal citizens aren't legal citizens becuase they are also immigrants. The rule of law for a man who is endorsed by project 2025. The rule of law for a man who didn't approve FEMA payments for a state that didn't bend the knee. 

I don't even know where to start. 

You don't start.  You cut off all contact with that person, because he's an irredeemable piece of shit.

The problem here is that we've been confronted with slap-you-in-the-face evidence that 45% of our fellow countrymen are irredeemable pieces of shit.  It sucks. But that doesn't make it any less true.

• Hook 'Em 8

11 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

STOP POSTING NATIONAL POLL DATA!!!!!!!!

1.) you owe me a bourbon

2.) the national polls can give a snapshot into the overall race. something I’ve noticed over the last week is several polls are starting to “pull away” meaning I’m seeing less +1 and +2 and more +3 or +4 polls. That can indicate how she’s doing in swing states as well. Someone can correct me but there is some magic number that if Dems are up by nationally that’s an indicator they are going to win—I thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

National polls tend to be more accurate. 

I'm at the "I'm going to post the polls, but I don't believe them" phase because the whole TIPP drama last week with removing Philadelphia from the live voter screen of PA voters has me extremely skeptical of firms just doing whatever they want because they don't want to be wrong.

And as I have pointed out, and someone quantified, something like 40% of all polling in October so far as been partisan, right-wing polling from Insider Advantage, Patriot Polling, Trafalgar, Fabrizio, etc.  We are smackdab in the 2022 playbook - mid-October was when suddenly all those races shifted towards Republicans, such as PA-SEN, MI-GOV, etc., and they weren't even close in the end.  They were all pretty much wrong, because the averages got fucked with by right-wing spam, but the narrative was set of a "red wave" 

• Hook 'Em 3

OK... so I asked more about it and am working on countering his arguments... he's an attorney if that provides any perspective or maybe it doesn't mean anything because what does these days with Trump supporters?
I asked why she presented a threat to civilization...
"The lawfare that has been practiced by the current administration against Trump (and even against Musk by CA regulators) is the biggest threat to the rule of law not Trump.  Show me the man and I'll find you the crime.  There is a far bigger threat to the rule of law state than Mr. Trump."
So I responded back with consequences of his actions, history of being crooked, skirting rules, breaking laws, grifter, blah blah blah, etc.  I mentioned Musk is not on the ballot.  I also referenced Mark Milley, Mattis, most of his cabinet, etc. coming out against him.
Response
"So you are telling me that you don't think suspending the statute of limitations in NY state for a year so that a lady could file a claim against Trump from 1975 over a Bergdorff Goodman alleged rape that she told no one about and didn't report to the police before having the SOL revert back to its normal 10-year period is not something out of the KGB playbook.  Show me the man and I'll find you the crime.  The legislature in that instance particularly enacted this legislation to get Trump."
Can't speak to the background on the E. Jean Carroll case but why are we talking about a state court case here?  
AND he then said I was being influenced by TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome)
F me... 
Anyway, I dug up our WhatsApp conversation from January 10, 2021 where he admitted I was right about him the whole time.   Screenshot and sent to him.  I told you... you eventually saw through him, you can still see through him.  Best I can do is throw his words back in his face.

Because he's a misogynistic racist. The brains of these people are gone, and they're never coming back. Let them go.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

"So you are telling me that you don't think suspending the statute of limitations in NY state for a year so that a lady could file a claim against Trump from 1975 over a Bergdorff Goodman alleged rape that she told no one about and didn't report to the police before having the SOL revert back to its normal 10-year period is not something out of the KGB playbook."

What?  First off, the alleged assault occurred in 1996, not 1975.  Beyond that, does the criminal statute of limitations have any bearing on a civil case?  (Not a lawyer . . . but your friend is.)

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Brisketexan said:

You don't start.  You cut off all contact with that person, because he's an irredeemable piece of shit.

The problem here is that we've been confronted with slap-you-in-the-face evidence that 45% of our fellow countrymen are irredeemable pieces of shit.  It sucks. But that doesn't make it any less true.

I don't want to call a POS when there is a healthy chunk of misinformation that has just poisoned the brains of people. Smart people. I do think the POS quotient is high, but there's a healthy chunk of "Flat out stupid AF" and "poisoned by misnformation and our failed media system." Big chunks. 

I also think him throwing his words back at him is a good tactic, but he'll just respond with "and then I watched this weaponized justice department do it's work."

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

1.) you owe me a bourbon

2.) the national polls can give a snapshot into the overall race. something I’ve noticed over the last week is several polls are starting to “pull away” meaning I’m seeing less +1 and +2 and more +3 or +4 polls. That can indicate how she’s doing in swing states as well. Someone can correct me but there is some magic number that if Dems are up by nationally that’s an indicator they are going to win—I thought.

Listen, as long as you're doing the work, I mean, feel free to give us a line graph of the different polls and how they've moved in the past few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't want to call a POS when there is a healthy chunk of misinformation that has just poisoned the brains of people. Smart people. I do think the POS quotient is high, but there's a healthy chunk of "Flat out stupid AF" and "poisoned by misnformation and our failed media system." Big chunks. 

I also think him throwing his words back at him is a good tactic, but he'll just respond with "and then I watched this weaponized justice department do it's work."

Going to keep throwing his words back at him.   I'll find more.

Edit:  added the following that Trump and his ilk are scaremongering.  Trying to get everyone all up in arms over perceived threats.  Mentioned how the world did not end under the Biden administration like Trump said.  All the calamities he predicted did not come to fruition.  Obama didn't confiscate everyone's guns.  All the fearmongering from Republicans over Obama and Trump was pure BS.  Stop buying into it.  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I tried to think the way you did.  But it's over.  We're too far gone.

Metaphorically, if it's 1939 and you're a German happily voting for the Nazi party, I don't care if you got there because you've always thought jews are evil and should be exterminated, you got there because you fell for a line of bullshit, you got there because you ignore the anti-semitism and focus on "tax policy," you got there because your dad votes Nazi so you'll vote Nazi.  We are past the time where any distinction can or should matter.  You've chosen a path that will harm all of us.  And you have to be stopped, shamed, ostracized, and if possible, ruined.  You need to be shoved into a hole of irrelevancy.

The time to "fix them" has come and gone.  We are now solely in the time of "fight them in every way, at every turn, without pause.  Waste no time on anything else."

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What a fucking boatload of malarky...I don't even know where to start. A man talking about the rule of law in favor of a guy who gassed peaceful protestors for a photo-op...a man talking the rule of law for someone who has said he'll suspend the laws to be a dictator on day one. A man talking about the rule of law who sent a mob at the capital when an election didn't go his way. A man who demonstably attempted to send fake electors. A twice impeached president with audio of a phone call demanding the GA secretary of state to find him 11k votes. The rule of law for a man who said legal citizens aren't legal citizens becuase they are also immigrants. The rule of law for a man who is endorsed by project 2025. The rule of law for a man who didn't approve FEMA payments for a state that didn't bend the knee. 

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The time to "fix them" has come and gone.  We are now solely in the time of "fight them in every way, at every turn, without pause.  Waste no time on anything else."

The silver lining (if there is any) is that he in CO and his vote doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things.  If I can just get him to not vote at all... sew enough doubt... then I've done my job (for now)

By the way, if you ever want to read a book on how painting an entire people as genetically deficient, evil, etc. etc. can impact a country's policy, this is a sobering book...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Unworthy-Hitlers-Germany-Republic/dp/0465098460

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

https://www.georgiavotes.com/

Georgia Day 1

Almost 30% black - Souls to the Polls is this weekend
54% female
Pretty old, but it's not like the young people to wait until the last minute... (sarcasm, we are such fucking procrastinators)
14.2% of the voters so far did not vote in 2020 - Almost 70% were 18-39

30% is more or less the usual composition, is it not?

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

All of this -- and his appeasement of Putin and holding back aid to Ukraine unless it dug up dirt on political opponent Biden. I don't want to downplay his rape of E Jean Carroll in any way but that deal is like #153 (if even that high) on the list of shitty things Trump's ass is on the line for -- it was just adjudicated first. His other actions are much, much more dangerous to American Democracy and his ass needs to be fired into the sun. His other transgressions have and will effect billions of lives.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And yes, Black people treat Souls to the Polls like any other major service—church anniversary, funeral, pastor’s anniversary 

There will be lunch served and it will be the best fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, corn, pecan pie, greens, 7-up cake, taco salad, meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, and sweet tea you’ve ever eaten. 

But will it start on time?

I kid, I kid....

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

His vote is in

I'm so glad he made. And as is with many folks at this age, in this situation, I fully expect that he won't make it to see election day. He might not make it to next week. But at least he'll have peace. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Not saying Fox News is turning on him, but having Walz on two consecutive Sundays, Harris’ interview today and Harris Faulkner straight up calling him out in an interview for using racially charged language 

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What?  First off, the alleged assault occurred in 1996, not 1975.  Beyond that, does the criminal statute of limitations have any bearing on a civil case?  (Not a lawyer . . . but your friend is.)

It does not. It’s been found as a matter of formal declaration that he committed sexual assault against her, but that’s nowhere near the same as a criminal conviction. Essentially all it really does, from a legal perspective (lawdogs feel free to chime in if I’m wrong here) is that it protects anyone who calls him a rapist from any sort of liability as far as a defamation claim. In other words if he sues you because you called him a rapist, your defense is “truth is an absolute defense; you’ve been formally declared as such.”

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, texasdago said:

The silver lining (if there is any) is that he in CO and his vote doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things.  If I can just get him to not vote at all... sew enough doubt... then I've done my job (for now)

By the way, if you ever want to read a book on how painting an entire people as genetically deficient, evil, etc. etc. can impact a country's policy, this is a sobering book...

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Unworthy-Hitlers-Germany-Republic/dp/0465098460

This one too.

image.png.a6a22acdaeb8e3e7ce4226ebeeab2dd3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t have hopes he’ll make it that long. But I hope he can hold on for 3 more weeks 

Hospice situations can be fluid. I bet he could have decided to drop off months ago, but didn't. Little things like refusing meds and food that basically shorten or prolong one's stay.

39 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And yes, Black people treat Souls to the Polls like any other major service—church anniversary, funeral, pastor’s anniversary 

There will be lunch served and it will be the best fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes, corn, pecan pie, greens, 7-up cake, taco salad, meatloaf, sweet potatoes, sweet potato pie, and sweet tea you’ve ever eaten. 

IN.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

Correct. Every question is answered with “ well what about “ and I end up saying just answer the fucking question. I got suckered into a $400 bet over the election Friday night over drinks. He just kept talking nonsense about morals and I finally brought up that he filed for bankruptcy on his business and left several people in bad shape. Naturally and rightfully so he wanted to bet $1,000 on election and I said how about $400 since you might actually pay that back.

we left the conversation on decent terms and I even sent him a text saying it was good to see him and he agreed and now he is flooding me with TikTok shit which explains everything. I hope my next response to him is “ give me my money “. 
That bet is a win/win. Either you get paid or he'll avoid you going forward.
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, Pancho said:

address? 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Very helpful - thank you!  His response was that they should not mess with SOL and I said that may be there is nothing that shows the law had Trump in mind and that two of the other big names impacted by the change were Democrats Andrew Cuomo and Eric Adams.  

Appreciate the help with that.

I am telling you with strong confidence he is not irredeemable (thank God for spell check)  

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, C-Man said:

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Dems are gonna get jobbed in Georgia, somehow some way.

There is some good news out of GA this morning, probably already posted:

Georgia judge counters GOP-led state election board on certification and hand counts

https://www.npr.org/2024/10/15/nx-s1-5144185/georgia-election-certification-rules

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Can't speak to the background on the E. Jean Carroll case but why are we talking about a state court case here?  

If the opportunity arises, that was a statewide law that affected every victim of sexual assault/violence in the state of New York.  It wasn't directed at Trump specifically.  Moreover, it's a private lawsuit by Carroll, not by any government agency, state or federal.

Edit to Add:  I see this has been covered somewhat.  But some additional perspective.  Most states have had fairly conventional SOL for sexual assaults, namely the usual 2, 3, or 4 years for assaults and similar personal injury torts.  There has also been a trend toward lengthening those SOL to 10 or 25 years or "never."  When that is done, there is often an issue of retroactivity, that is, does the lengthened SOL revive claims that were dead under the old, short, SOL.  NY compromised and, instead of making it fully retroactive, or fully non-retroactive, gave one year for those with "expired" claims under the old, short SOL to file their claims, otherwise they remain barred.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Appreciate the help with that.

Here is my help back... 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/27/nyregion/adult-survivors-act-lawsuits.html

I used the following quote to point out Republicans supported the bill while expressing his concern on the impact of changes to the SOL.  BUT, it was not directed at Trump.

Will Barclay, the Republican minority leader in the Assembly, said that since Republicans had supported the original bill, which brought “alarming cases to light and provided victims with a path to justice,” they would consider an expanded window.

But statutes of limitations “exist for a reason,” Mr. Barclay added. “Unilaterally erasing the threshold would necessitate a deeper discussion, ideally with all stakeholders within the justice system.”

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I've resigned myself to the fact that the Dems are gonna get jobbed in Georgia, somehow some way.

I like our chances, after yesterday, I really like them.  It's one thing to play funny on something really close, like a few thousand votes, but if we can stretch that to 30 to 40k, I don't think so.  

One other thing I like, yesterday approximately 47k of the votes were from people that did not vote in 2020.  I just noticed that stat on the page I referenced earlier.  

Edited by BamaATL
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I like our chances, after yesterday, I really like them.  It's one thing to play funny on something really close, like a few thousand votes, but if we can stretch that to 30 to 40k, I don't think so.  

I hope you're right. Definitely the wider the margin in Kamala's favor, the harder it is to play fuck-fuck games.

• Hook 'Em 1