2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

27 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don’t think the Univision interview was to sway Hispanic voters but to motivate Fox News viewers and get them pissed off that people spoke Spanish and didn’t kiss his ass.

I don't really agree with this, but even if it's true, it looked like it might have pissed off a lot of Hispanic voters. 

48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, and Bret Baier says Obama and Harris like to filibuster in interviews.

Wtf

From the clips I saw she started answering questions and 5 words in he’d attempt to interject, it wasn’t fucking filibustering

3 minutes ago, tx ind said:

From the clips I saw she started answering questions and 5 words in he’d attempt to interject, it wasn’t fucking filibustering

He wasn't there to hear the answer, but to make her look bad.  The setup isn't for her to look presidential. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Liberal media.

Because she's not threatening media, opponents, Democracy? Did she not have a half hour dance off?  What's the bar and why does it only apply to her?  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Because she's not threatening media, opponents, Democracy? Did she not have a half hour dance off?  What's the bar and why does it only apply to her?  

Do not question a liberal media establishment addicted to polling and hand wringing.

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't really agree with this, but even if it's true, it looked like it might have pissed off a lot of Hispanic voters. 

The crowd shots are hilarious. They saw through him for the moron he is 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Last night's Georgia Voting Update take aways

1.  621k have now voted

2.  Women have now outpaced men by 58k

Simple math -- that's 54.7% to 45.3%.  Would be nice if that held in most swing states.

• Hook 'Em 3

I may lose my god damn mind in the next 3 weeks.  This feels so much worse than 2020 for some reason.  I think maybe it's because seemingly so many people have forgotten what it was like with him in office.  Complete shit show every single day.  How could anyone vote for that again?!?!

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Simple math -- that's 54.7% to 45.3%.  Would be nice if that held in most swing states.

Women routinely outvote men. Polls seem to try to make it 50/50 or 51/49 but if its 52/48 or better, that’s huge. 

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I may lose my god damn mind in the next 3 weeks.  This feels so much worse than 2020 for some reason.  I think maybe it's because seemingly so many people have forgotten what it was like with him in office.  Complete shit show every single day.  How could anyone vote for that again?!?!

It's because the media is telling you every day that it's a close race.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Women routinely outvote men. Polls seem to try to make it 50/50 or 51/49 but if its 52/48 or better, that’s huge. 

There are a couple of worrying (albeit minor trends)

1.  African American votes are 178k thus far, only approximately 29% of the vote.  

2.  Fulton County (Atlanta proper) has only 72k out of 891k from 2020 votes cast thus far - this lags the state numbers, albeit on a minor level.  Dekalb County, also a Democratic stronghold is lagging the state number as well.  

3.  By age - 291k of cast votes are from those 65 and older.  (Not fretting this, the older typically vote early)

1 minute ago, BamaATL said:

1.  African American votes are 178k thus far, only approximately 29% of the vote.  

2.  Fulton County (Atlanta proper) has only 72k out of 891k from 2020 votes cast thus far - this lags the state numbers, albeit on a minor level.  Dekalb County, also a Democratic stronghold is lagging the state number as well.  

3.  By age - 291k of cast votes are from those 65 and older.  (Not fretting this, the older typically vote early)

None of that worries me yet. Souls to the Polls is a huge deal this weekend. It’s been 2 days 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tuco said:

"they couldn't get me, because I said 'peacefully and patriotically.'"  Fucking knockoff mobster. 

I heard that shit too. And his knockoff fucking henchmen of ill-educated clowns who not only failed but got one of themselves killed in the process. They knew exactly what he meant when he said "patriotically", to them that's a incendiary word, absolving them of any decency because they get to hide behind the flag instead of uplifting and strengthening it. Selling their souls for a grifter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

let’s be real for a minute. this will not cost billions, this will not decimate the supply chain or the economy. this will not affect food in any way. 

because he won’t actually do it.

not because it’s wrong or complicated or will have an effect on food or the economy, it’s because trump doesn’t actually do anything.

he loves to talk about stuff, he doesn’t like to do stuff. he loves to campaign, he has no idea how to govern. 

thankfully it won’t be a problem. 

It's true that he does not know how to govern in the sense of leadership of the legislative branch to accomplish broad-based goals that only the lege can achieve.

However, he does know how to govern by fiat and executive order, or has people (Project 2025) that mostly do.  I think there's enough play in the immigration laws that he can make a semi-successful attempt to do a mass deportation.  It will get hung up in the courts a bit, because he's bad at it, but don't think he ultimately cannot.

Also, I think the Project 2025 people have given great thought to making him a more useful idiot than last go-round.  And those people are insidiously smart.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's true that he does not know how to govern in the sense of leadership of the legislative branch to accomplish broad-based goals that only the lege can achieve.

However, he does know how to govern by fiat and executive order, or has people (Project 2025) that mostly do.  I think there's enough play in the immigration laws that he can make a semi-successful attempt to do a mass deportation.  It will get hung up in the courts a bit, because he's bad at it, but don't think he ultimately cannot.

Also, I think the Project 2025 people have given great thought to making him a more useful idiot than last go-round.  And those people are insidiously smartbut not complete morons.

Let's think about that last sentence in terms of what they would like to do.  It'd be an unmitigated disaster.  They are Dunning-Kruger poster boys.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I keep hearing “This is the closest presidential race I’ve ever seen” from people who were most definitely alive in 2000.

The same people who keep saying 2020 was a close race.  It wasn't and was one of the bigger victories in recent history.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

"He won't do it"

HE won't do anything. Stephen Miller will get it done.  And the fucking ghouls in the administration because they learned from the first time not to appoint or hire anyone squeamish about making the decisions that completely run afoul of the Constitution and American democracy. 

Can we please stop acting like a completely unrestrained second Trump term, without having to worry about re-election, is going to hold back on anything?  And who the hell is going to stop him?

Senate Republicans? SCOTUS? Bitch please.

People saying "he won't do it" have a very confused view about how fascism works.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's because the media is telling you every day that it's a close race.

I have a slightly different take than David, above, although his position certainly has merit, particularly IF it turns out to be true in hindsight, like 2022 midterms.

I think it feels so much worse becuase:
a) Trump is so obviously more deranged, angrier, and the implications of project 2025 are so much heavier. We knew he'd do horrible shit in 2021, but now we know just how fucked up and horrible it will be, it's spelled out.

b.) All the polls in 2020 were in Biden's favor, and while we knew the stakes are high, we had all the polls telling us he was going to cruise to a 5-7 point victory nationally. So basically, we thought we looked pretty good. The polls this time tell an entirely different story, to David's point above. But between the stakes and the fact it doesn't feel like we're up by a touchdown or 10 points, it's a lot of fucking weight to bear. 

Just now, wildcat09 said:

People saying "he won't do it" have a very confused view about how fascism works.

And that he’s just a puppet. He will do nothing except keep himself out of prison. Vance and Miller will be running everything.

They’ve been projecting Harris as the most influential and powerful VP ever because that’s what they will have Vance do. Run everything while Trump plays golf and kills his lawsuits  

This is a long video, but worth the watch when you have time. David Pakman is a prominent leftist podcaster, I don't know this other guy Sean Kelly but he is a young Trumper and has 1 million subscribers. 

Fascinating and genuine look into what we're up against due to disinformation algorithms and preferred media. Sean Kelly is truly a misinformed idiot, but I give him credit to being open to arguments and new information he is presented with. Pakman is fantastic...patient, sympathetic, and not demeaning when trying to get his point across. As frustrating as it to watch a person be so fucking stupid, the best approach is to treat them with respect and calmly interact. Even if they don't deserve it. 

15 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The same people who keep saying 2020 was a close race.  It wasn't and was one of the bigger victories in recent history.

This is a bad take. The national popular vote wasn't that close, but it was literally 80k votes in 3-4 states that made the difference. IT WAS A FUCKING CLOSE AS FUCK ELECTORAL COLLEGE RACE. And the electoral college is how we elect a president. 

Your view is like the opposite side of the coin of Trump saying "I got tens of millions of votes in California and New York, they love me there." No they fucking don't. And we know 2020 wasn't a walkoff race. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My ballot gets mailed to me today. Still unsure if ballots are staged at post offices and that means the carriers deliver them today, or if they hit the mail today from some other locations, the state website is not clear on that.  Either way I expect to be able to mark it up this weekend and toss it in a drop box on Monday.   So I got that going for me, which is nice. 

I have a slightly different take than David, above, although his position certainly has merit, particularly IF it turns out to be true in hindsight, like 2022 midterms.

I think it feels so much worse becuase:
a) Trump is so obviously more deranged, angrier, and the implications of project 2025 are so much heavier. We knew he'd do horrible shit in 2021, but now we know just how fucked up and horrible it will be, it's spelled out.
b.) All the polls in 2020 were in Biden's favor, and while we knew the stakes are high, we had all the polls telling us he was going to cruise to a 5-7 point victory nationally. So basically, we thought we looked pretty good. The polls this time tell an entirely different story, to David's point above. But between the stakes and the fact it doesn't feel like we're up by a touchdown or 10 points, it's a lot of fucking weight to bear. 

We are conditioned to think the D candidate needs to be up by that 5% or so in order to win the EC. That is probably not the case this time around.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

23 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Exit polling from 2020 had women to men 56% to 44% and African American at 29%. 

If the numbers are matching 2020 with Atlanta lagging, as long as Atlanta shows up eventually that’s a pretty good sign. 

Dave Bautista finally does what I've been waiting for someone to do: have a completely jacked, known-for-masculinity dude come out and just rip the fuck into trump and his sissy ways:

15 minutes 30 seconds if the time stamp doesn't work. Is Bautista the best dude ever to leave WWE? He's like the anti-hulk hogan. What a dude.

"He's got bigger jugs than dolly parton."

"he can barely walk down stairs"

"He looks like he's jerking off a giraffe"

"He bends over for putin."

"He's moody, he pouts."

"What's the matter tough guy? Did somebody grab you by the pussy? Whiny bitch."

Holy shit I love this hahaha

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We are conditioned to think the D candidate needs to be up by that 5% or so in order to win the EC. That is probably not the case this time around.

I've seen stuff speculated, but I'm not sure why you think that isn't the case this time? Until the swing states turn out to not be close AF, I'm not sure how you assume anything. 

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It’s extremely small this cycle, like 0.5. If she’s up 3-4, it should not be as close as the pundits want it to be. Dems almost won the House in 2022 while losing the national popular vote by 2%. 

I don’t feel like rehashing it because it’s been analyzed by the nerds dozens of times. Nate Cohn has a great article on the GOP electoral college edge being much lower in 2024 than it was in 2016 and 2020

41 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh I guess maybe YOU forget that Biden made eggs cost $79,000 a dozen and he let 1.5 million murderers cross the border, kill every American, and vote multiple times. And WEATHER MACHINES. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, heso said:

You have to take into account that some of them just aren’t smart enough to compete. The poor dumb white guy has limited opportunities, just like he did 20 years ago just like he did 40 years ago. 

But now that the mine is closed down or the factory is gone, anyone that was smart enough or ambitious enough to get the fuck out and do something is gone. So the only ones that are left are the morons. 

And when you’re sitting around poor and dumb, I’m sure it’s a real seductive message to be hearing that it’s not your fault. It’s their fault. You’re a red blooded white skinned natural born American in the country that built the world. Greatness is your birthright if only those people over there would stop fucking it up. The blacks and the browns and the Jews and the Asians and the Indians and the Muslims and the gays and the trans are all being handed what should be yours. And it’s the fucking democrats that are giving away your birthright. 

And, things have gotten objectively harder.  It's damn near impossible to get into UT these days, as an example, and I am sure there are many others.  And I think the good jobs are more competitive school- and grade-wise.

The days of dumb lazy white guys graduating with a "gentlemen's c" average and getting anywhere in life are diminished, if long gone.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

I've been a big Dave Bautista fan for years. He is a good dude.

I really have never followed or watched wrestling ever. Closest I ever got was playing WWF: Westlemania the arcade game back in the day, which was made by the Mortal Kombat people. But I know Dave from movies and he's fucking awesome. Huge fan as well, Dude is legitimately a great actor and has some crazy range, I love the more serious roles he's been getting. I became a huge fan during that scene in GotG2 when the mantis chick touches him and immediately starts sobbing heavy tears while he has this super calm expression on his face.

EDIT: This scene:

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1