2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

38 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

saw a few maga hats around the tailgate yesterday. frustratingly all Texas fans.

It's a pet peeve of mine, red and burnt orange should never be worn together. Not just because OU, Arkansas, Bama, Tech, Ohio St, Nebraska, Georgia and most of all Maga suck but just because it looks terrible.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m not bedwetting and I realize this board doesn’t love Nate Silver, but I don’t disagree with any of these.   Harris has done well, but she was an underdog from the beginning and Trump understands his audience well. Meanwhile the Democrat consultant class doesn’t really understand and can’t relate to either his audience or the bulk of their own.

So you are blaming the possibility of Trump being elected on campaign consultants as opposed to just accepting that 40% of our population is just racist or dumb?  Ignoring the fact that all you have to do is turn on the tv and see R’s only agenda is making the electorate fearful and playing on the human tendency to always wanting to believe that someone is lesser than them?  Not sure that I buy that. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

So you are blaming the possibility of Trump being elected on campaign consultants as opposed to just accepting that 40% of our population is just racist or dumb?

Oh, absolutely. First, even if I accepted your premise, that’s only 40%. Even if you take them off the table you’re still working with a healthy majority. Second, if they are the dumb ones, and you can’t convince them to vote for you, what does that make you?

Winning elections is their first and only job. The business of campaigns is sales and marketing and nothing beyond that matters if they don’t succeed at that part of it.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh, absolutely. First, even if I accepted your premise, that’s only 40%. Even if you take them off the table you’re still working with a healthy majority. Second, if they are the dumb ones, and you can’t convince them to vote for you, what does that make you?

Winning elections is their first and only job. The business of campaigns is sales and marketing and nothing beyond that matters if they don’t succeed at that part of it.

You are absolutely correct here.

I do take exception to a few things on his list, the economy and the very strange notion the country shifted rightward, but I agree overall.

I certainly like reports enthusiasm for Trump is down in other areas, but I can tell you it's through the roof here. I've never seen this much Trump shit out.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I was out yesterday and saw a woman wearing a fucking red hat with the white letters on the front.  I had an immediate internal reaction, and probably had some kind of grimace on my face as she approached.  Then, as she got closer, I read her hat:

"MAKE AMERICA SANE AGAIN"

I smiled at her, and nodded my head in appreciation.  Of course the joke is probably on me, she may have been full blown MAGA and that's an alternative slogan they are still workshopping.

made-you-look-harris-2024-red-hatwild-ch

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Keep your eyes on Kaufman County this fall. Yes Trump won it 66/32 in 2020 but it saw a 13 point swing in favor of Democrats. That was the largest increase in the entire state (and if I remember correctly, it was the second largest swing for any county in the entire nation). Do you know what Texas county saw the largest increase in voter registrations since November 2020? Kaufman County. 

I don't think it would flip blue but any close election should cause Republicans to panic big time. Even a 59/41 is panic worthy for the GOP. A Republican hasn't dropped below 60% in KC since 1996 (although that was also a three man presidential race, if it was two man that election would be 1988).

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Many people say, look I haven't seen it myself, but the guys at the club say it's at least this big. That's how Arnie's Army started. 

Screenshot_20241020_111905_Chrome.jpg

Homeboy literally dressed up as Ronald McDonald:

Orange hair

Make-up

White collar with the red tie.

Ronald Mcdonald Laughing GIF

• Haha 2

They played some post-McDonald's Dotard comments on MSNBC. He was talking about how offensive it is that Harris keeps lying about having worked at McDonald's. Then the anchor just moved on to the next thing without mentioning any of it.

Just now, G650 said:

I do take exception to a few things on his list, the economy and the very strange notion the country shifted rightward, but I agree overall.

What Democrats forgot in the mid-90s is that an economy experiencing a wealth and consumption expansion at the top without an income expansion in the middle is experienced as a shitty economy by most people, and offering them safety net programs as a solution adds insult to injury.

There is not better single example of the disconnect between Democrats and the middle class than their genuine confusion about this fact. You can’t treat middle class people like poor people. They didn’t fail, the economy is rigged against them and their standard of living has collapsed over the last 15 years, after a slow decline during the previous 35.  Can you really blame some of them for wanting to give Democrats a big fuck you? As much as they have lost - defined benefit pensions, market rate affordable healthcare and housing and cars, vacations, savings, good public schools, dignity, community, humanity, etc- can you blame them for being angry when the latest career politician grin-fucks them with drivel like “Im going to create an opportunity economy?”

and then they go on TV and instagram and see a world full of healthier, more popular, better looking richer people everywhere they look. And their friends are using social media to curate their lives, and they start doing it too, but deep inside they know their lives are substandard. Because they are.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I was out yesterday and saw a woman wearing a fucking red hat with the white letters on the front.  I had an immediate internal reaction, and probably had some kind of grimace on my face as she approached.  Then, as she got closer, I read her hat:

"MAKE AMERICA SANE AGAIN"

I smiled at her, and nodded my head in appreciation.  Of course the joke is probably on me, she may have been full blown MAGA and that's an alternative slogan they are still workshopping.

il_fullxfull.2447641706_lxwi.thumb.jpg.d5f512527567b93e2ebe719af81e5a70.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What Democrats forgot in the mid-90s is that an economy experiencing a wealth and consumption expansion at the top

I mean, completely set aside the top. The working class have seen their only relative gains in almost 50 years vis a vis the middle and upper class. It's just not remotely accurate to say.

Holy shit there are 10 choices for potus/vp on my ballot. I guess if a person wants to vote for a pair that matches all of their views, they could likely do so in Washington. 

Also in the voter pamphlet Trump listed 45th president of the United States under both elected experience and community service. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Can you really blame some of them for wanting to give Democrats a big fuck you?

When a huge chunk wanting to give Democrats a big fuck you voted for the Overton Window set by the Reagan Revolution which has had the generational effects Democrats said it would, yes. 

How that factors into an election strategy and how you convince people in "I'm Voting For The Felon" t-shirts they've been conned, I dunno. But yes, you can blame the people who have repeatedly voted against their own interests. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Holy shit there are 10 choices for potus/vp on my ballot. I guess if a person wants to vote for a pair that matches all of their views, they could likely do so in Washington. 

Also in the voter pamphlet Trump listed 45th president of the United States under both elected experience and community service. 

he did donate his salary after all!

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Huge argument for Ranked Choice Voting 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Sign report from 78665 in WilCo. 4 new Trump signs sprang up seemingly overnight. Current count is 6 to 3 for Harris, and 1 RFK true believer holdout.

I've only been here for about 20 months, but my precinct went fairly easily to Biden in 2020. Overall, not a ton of sign activity in my particular neighborhood.

All of the signs, R and D, that were at the entrance to Steiner Ranch at Quinlan Park are gone. Started with 4 dotard signs a few weeks ago, then inundated with like 30 other signs all over the spectrum. And like that…all gone. 

2 minutes ago, wood said:

Gladiola Crescent in Green Run, 1975, yo. Probably a real dump now. 

Old Gang Run. My Grandma was a bus driver for Green Run HS for years. Drove Plaxico Burress when he was there.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Old Gang Run. My Grandma was a bus driver for Green Run HS for years. Drove Plaxico Burress when he was there.

Yeah it was new when I lived there, so still fairly nice, but on the lower end. Small houses with small yards. Lots of younger Navy families.  /csb

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, completely set aside the top. The working class have seen their only relative gains in almost 50 years vis a vis the middle and upper class. It's just not remotely accurate to say.

See that’s the problem. Their only *relative* gain in almost 50 years, and it was tiny, and primarily driven by quitting their jobs and finding new ones in the chaotic aftermath of a calamity.  Even as the basic building blocks of middle class equity continued to accelerate out of reach faster than their income? And who did that accelerated asset price expansion benefit? Oh right- the people at the top whose *wealth* expanded relative to middle class *income*.

Tell me again how what I said isn’t “remotely true” and do it like I’m not a person who follows econometrics- I need more examples of Democrats missing the fucking point this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

See that’s the problem. Their only *relative* gain in almost 50 years, and it was tiny, and primarily driven by quitting their jobs and finding new ones in the chaotic aftermath of a calamity.  Even as the basic building blocks of middle class equity continued to accelerate out of reach faster than their income? And who did that accelerated asset price expansion benefit? Oh right- the people at the top whose *wealth* expanded relative to middle class *income*.

Tell me again how what I said isn’t “remotely true” and do it like I’m not a person who follows econometrics- I need more examples of Democrats missing the fucking point this fall.

Well, we need to back up for a minute. Because, first and foremost, I agree with you on the top. And secondly, I took exception to Nate Silvers characterization the first three years of Trump were some sort of good economy, because they sucked dick compared to the last two years. I said nothing about your opinion whatsoever.

Thirdly I'm not really a Democrat, though I will be voting almost exclusively for them for the foreseeable future.

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

But yes, you can blame the people who have repeatedly voted against their own interests. 

Remind me who signed the repeal of Glass-Steagal? Remind me to signed the act that made the Bush tax cuts permanent? Remind me who explicitly and intentionally declined to break the link between employment and healthcare? Remind me who declined to pursue action against the bad actors who broke the economy in 2010? Shall I go on?

If your point is that the entire Republican economic orthodoxy is wrong about how growth works and is a con job to enrich the top, I agree. If your point is that the last generation of Democrats did not contribute to the massively widening wealth gap while pretending they would, that’s utter nonsense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

One more

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

the entire Republican economic orthodoxy is wrong about how growth works and is a con job to enrich the top

By the way- this why all the ex Republicans crack me up, because on some level they think all that shit was true, or at least that it was rolled out with good intentions. Like @Brisketexan and people like him believed that that jazz at the time, and a lot of them think that the people who passed it actually believed what they were saying. In that sense Donald Trump’s tariff nonsense is nothing new- like saying tariffs are taxes on foreign countries, Reaganomics was understood to be bullshit at the team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Remind me who signed the repeal of Glass-Steagal? Remind me to signed the act that made the Bush tax cuts permanent? Remind me who explicitly and intentionally declined to break the link between employment and healthcare? Remind me who declined to pursue action against the bad actors who broke the economy in 2010? Shall I go on?

If your point is that the entire Republican economic orthodoxy is wrong about how growth works and is a con job to enrich the top, I agree. If your point is that the last generation of Democrats did not contribute to the massively widening wealth gap while pretending they would, that’s utter nonsense. 

The Republican-Lite party known as the Democrats, the same way GOP administrations advocated big government projects like construction of the interstate highway system or creating the Environmental Protection Agency in the New Deal Overton Window, yet if Democrats proposed anything of that left-leaning nature it's characterized as a losing election issue for the people-you-cannot-blame. 

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The franchise owner who set it all up 

image.thumb.png.d28eee8113a497bae8655a0d69893621.png

So he closed his business for a day and forwent profits to make an in kind campaign contribution for Dotard to make a commercial?

• Hook 'Em 2