2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

But he doesn’t. He literally says “I will fix it.” Democrats don’t say either. Instead they rarely say anything and when they do it’s policy this and program that.

Such bullshit. Dems have actual plans to help the working and middle classes. And they talk about them all of the time. Trump says I will fix everything. He doesn't ever speak directly to anyone other than rich people. Get out of here with this tired bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Why am I so internally pessimistic about this election?

I get it.  I read this thread and it's comforting, not trying to harsh a good time but I think there is a fair bit of wish-casting going on.  Hope I'm wrong

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

48 minutes ago, locodos said:

I get it.  I read this thread and it's comforting, not trying to harsh a good time but I think there is a fair bit of wish-casting going on.  Hope I'm wrong

Read this when you have 15 minutes.  It will make you sober, make you vomit or make you drive to a battleground state and go door to door for Harris and Walz.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/20/us/politics/trump-scandals.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&tgrp=ctr&pvid=E65CE658-FDE0-4E8E-BD5F-7F72157E46BB

This immoral, arrogant, dishonest stack of smegma must be deposited in the dustbin of history where he belongs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bama Llama said:

Read this when you have 15 minutes.  It will make you sober, make you vomit or make you drive to a battleground state and go door to door for Harris and Walz.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/20/us/politics/trump-scandals.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&tgrp=ctr&pvid=E65CE658-FDE0-4E8E-BD5F-7F72157E46BB

This immoral, arrogant, dishonest stack of smegma must be deposited in the dustbin of history where he belongs.

I don't need ANY additional motivation.  I've been working on friends and family in swing states.  My point was just that people view the world through their lens.  Those of us that can't imagine even 30% of voters pulling the lever for Trump will tend to view events and data from that perspective. 

apropos of nothing...  I'm in S. Florida and there's a corner near my house that Trumpkins gather waive flags, signs, and I assume shoot puppies.  They've been doing it off and on for YEARS.   Yesterday I was driving by and saw the Trumpkins up ahead at the corner. It seemed like a pretty big group and I was thinking what I always think fuck these assholes and I need to install a hailer on my truck.   When I got closer I could see the flags and they were for Harris / Waltz.  Felt good to see.  But I don't think any Trumpkins will be dissuaded or converted in the same way the Trumpkins only pissed me off.  I'll feel better if there's a fucking blue wave... and whole rafts of Trump enablers and fuckbois are ostracized and mocked openly.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

Such bullshit. Dems have actual plans to help the working and middle classes1. And they talk about them all of the time2. Trump says I will fix everything3. He doesn't ever speak directly to anyone other than rich people4. Get out of here with this tired bullshit5

@Longhorn94 you seem to hold two views that I don’t think hold up- the first being that the inherent falsity of what Donald Trump says is relevant to his appeal or why it works, and the fact that Democrats have most substantial policy ideas and are relatively far more sincere in their desire for improved conditions makes their call to action more effective for their audience. I disagree with both of those ideas. 

1 -  the middle class standard of living is  now what we used to associate with the working class, and Democrats aren’t addressing that directly. 

2- Democrats talk about their “actual plans” to “help” all the time. It’s policy this and program that. It’s complicated and hard to follow, but if you put in the effort and pay attention you realize that none of it would restore the standard of living to the middle class that it used to have. Instead, they offer “help.” The middle class doesn’t want help or handouts. They want the economy to work for them and put them in a position to save money and go on vacations without taking on a mountain of debt.

3- yes, Trump says “I will fix it.” That’s simple,  uncomplicated language. It’s clear, immediate and certain which true or not (obviously not in this case) is the kind of language that enlists people.

4- the people at his rallies are not rich people, but you and I both know that Democrats do small group fundraising dinners and events, and the people who get those invites aren’t managing the fabric store. 

5 I shan’t. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

The middle class doesn’t want help or handouts. They want the economy to work for them and put them in a position to save money and go on vacations without taking on a mountain of debt.

Disagree. The middle class is not interested in saving anything and programs and policies don't work because the middle class has a culture problem. Plenty in the middle class could save and build wealth like years past, but they would rather get the giant truck they don't need, the 5000 square foot house they don't need, 3 kids all on travel youth sports teams, etc.

Why save money when that doesn't get any engagement on Instagram?

The middle class struggles because they are stupid with their money. Not because of a lack of opportunities.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Longhorn94 you seem to hold two views that I don’t think hold up- the first being that the inherent falsity of what Donald Trump says is relevant to his appeal or why it works, and the fact that Democrats have most substantial policy ideas and are relatively far more sincere in their desire for improved conditions makes their call to action more effective for their audience. I disagree with both of those ideas. 

1 -  the middle class standard of living is  now what we used to associate with the working class, and Democrats aren’t addressing that directly. 

2- Democrats talk about their “actual plans” to “help” all the time. It’s policy this and program that. It’s complicated and hard to follow, but if you put in the effort and pay attention you realize that none of it would restore the standard of living to the middle class that it used to have. Instead, they offer “help.” The middle class doesn’t want help or handouts. They want the economy to work for them and put them in a position to save money and go on vacations without taking on a mountain of debt.

3- yes, Trump says “I will fix it.” That’s simple,  uncomplicated language. It’s clear, immediate and certain which true or not (obviously not in this case) is the kind of language that enlists people.

4- the people at his rallies are not rich people, but you and I both know that Democrats do small group fundraising dinners and events, and the people who get those invites aren’t managing the fabric store. 

5 I shan’t. 

13 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Disagree. The middle class is not interested in saving anything and programs and policies don't work because the middle class has a culture problem. Plenty in the middle class could save and build wealth like years past, but they would rather get the giant truck they don't need, the 5000 square foot house they don't need, 3 kids all on travel youth sports teams, etc.

The middle class struggles because they are stupid with their money. Not because of a lack of opportunities.

There’s a perception issue, for sure. And I don’t k ow whose fault that is, to be honest. My wife and I are probably too 1-2% of America for combined household income. But it FEELS about like the middle class life we grew up experiencing. Now, I absolutely know it isn’t. But we don’t feel wealthy. A Subaru and a used ford explorer and a 2k square foot house built in the 1960s zoned to a neighborhood where schools get real dicey after elementary doesn’t feel like top 1% of America” to me. 

also, both things can be true. People can be stupid with their money and still not want handouts. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

I think I might add that some or a lot of Dem policies really are just band-aids for the economy/middle class.

And maybe they look like handouts, but I think more than handouts, they just feel like stopgaps, even to people who don't understand what is the problem.

To really work for the middle class, Dem programs would need to be more structural, things like Wyden-Bennett and Liz Warren's proposals.

Because it was structural things like repealing Glass-Steagall that got us here.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Disagree. The middle class is not interested in saving anything and programs and policies don't work because the middle class has a culture problem

So much this

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Why am I so internally pessimistic about this election?

Because the prospect of that piece of shit getting back in office would say a lot about just how morally broken this country's electorate is. It shouldn't be close at all and the fact that it is might be the most disturbing aspect. We all lived through it and some just went meh. 

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

People can be stupid with their money and still not want handouts.

I borrow $1500 from you ONCE for a diamond studded buttplug and I never hear the fucking end of it. 

I feel attacked. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

I borrow $1500 from you ONCE for a diamond studded buttplug and I never hear the fucking end of it. 

I feel attacked. 

I feel like me loaning you that money speaks more to my poor financial judgement than the actual purchase does to your financial judgement. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

WaPo

GA: Harris +4

Wi: Harris +3

MI/PA: Harris +2

NV: tie

AZ/NC: Trump +3

There isn’t a 7 point spread between GA and NC unless the entire UGA roster got busted on 6th street and Mack Brown died. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

47 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

You're not talking about the middle class. 

Anyone household with < $170k income isn't buying big SUVs while paying a mortgage/tax/insurance on a 5,000sqft house and travel league for 3 kids, and if they are, I'd think of them more as a financial genius than a slacker.  Yesterday, I walked by a SUV Costco was displaying for their car buying program.  Sticker was $52K  ...  for a fucking Kia!

In 2022, the national middle-income range was about $56,600 to $169,800 annually for a household of three 

source: https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2024/09/16/are-you-in-the-american-middle-class/

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The middle class doesn’t want help or handouts.

Expecting, rightfully so, a return on investment of taxes paid and their vote in the form of policies that promote the general welfare, one of the stated purposes of the Constitution, isn't a handout. I'm no expert on messaging or salesmanship, but adopting and validating this conservative, class-selective definition seems like terrible messaging. 

Plus, it's not true. The middle class will gladly accept help from Medicare, SS, FEMA, pandemic payouts, child tax credits, etc... it's just that they don't want to acknowledge they rightfully receive government assistance that the wealthy and corporations openly spend millions lobbying for.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, locodos said:

I don't know. I don't think the election is a "lock", but I think there's decent cause for optimism. I think the Midwest and PA is pretty safely in the Harris camp. Win those, and she basically only needs one of Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, or North Carolina.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't know. I don't think the election is a "lock", but I think there's decent cause for optimism. I think the Midwest and PA is pretty safely in the Harris camp. Win those, and she basically only needs one of Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, or North Carolina.

Actually she hits 270 with just the blue wall. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, aggie08 said:

I think the Midwest and PA is pretty safely in the Harris camp. Win those, and she basically only needs one of Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, or North Carolina.

You're way more optimistic than most people.  username definitely checks out.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

image.png

This post in and of itself is so ridiculous as to be disqualifying.  It's so completely Tracy Flick (fuck, not really, Tracy Flick wasn't that stupid).

It's right up there with "there wasn't supposed to be fact-checking."

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually she hits 270 with just the blue wall. 

Even better! Win PA, win the election. It's hard not to be optimistic. 

Though, a nail biting victory by the thinnest of margins isn't going to paint Trump as the loser that he is and will keep the cult from becoming disillusioned.

If we could wish-cast an ass kicking into existence, that would be swell.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

For who?

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

*whom

Like half the line at SPJ Lodge in the Heights were former English teachers for some reason, so you’d all fit in perfectly. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I plan on voting early, but need to study my ballot more closely than in past elections, since I now live in northwest Austin in the Round Rock ISD section, so I need to know which school board candidates are the batshit crazy MAGAs.  If anyone has thoughts on that, would appreciate some info.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

I plan on voting early, but need to study my ballot more closely than in past elections, since I now live in northwest Austin in the Round Rock ISD section, so I need to know which school board candidates are the batshit crazy MAGAs.  If anyone has thoughts on that, would appreciate some info.

They have this really handy "R" next to their name to identify them. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

They have this really handy "R" next to their name to identify them. 

Basically, yeah. I do wish they hadn’t gotten rid of the straight ticket button. 74 pages of hitting the Dem candidate was annoying

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Do the gays have voting flair yall wear during election season?

I had on a Kamala shirt under my hoodie since you can’t wear anything visible for a specific party or candidate. Take that, Texas! 

alresdy forcing me to socialize with my neighbors by not allowing cell phone use within 100 feet bc Bill Gates and Tim Cook will rig the machines or something 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, South Austin said:

4 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Don't they not show party affiliation for school board?

I know WilCo democrats endorsed Zarate, Ross and Wei.

Wife and I (Anderson Mill) are voting for Zarate, Ross, and Wei. They're all incumbents and are not crazy assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Basically, yeah. I do wish they hadn’t gotten rid of the straight ticket button. 74 pages of hitting the Dem candidate was annoying

Right, forgot about that.  Pre-2020, I never voted straight ticket, because there were some Republican judicial candidates who (1) I knew on a personal level, and (2) were very good judges regardless of party affiliation, so I would vote for one or two of them each election cycle.  @Brisketexan and I were talking about this a few weeks ago while watching the Michigan game, and I think he had a similar approach, and I told him that since Trump's election, the MAGA movement, and all their complete and utter shittiness, I'll never give money to or vote for a judicial candidate with an "R" next to his or her name.  I don't care about our personal history or whether they might seem like they aren't so MAGA.  I'm fucking done with them.  

Oh, and @dcbc, I just printed a sample ballot, and like city council races, there is no "D" or "R" next to the school board candidates' name.  So I'll have check on those candidates' party affiliations.  

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Wife and I (Anderson Mill) are voting for Zarate, Ross, and Wei. They're all incumbents and are not crazy assholes. 

Thanks for the intel.

• Hook 'Em 1

Georgia Overnight take aways:

1.  Sunday was a bit of muted response, as expected very few polls open.  

2.  Vote totals move to 1.426 Million about a 50k add from yesterday.  

I will do a more thorough update tomorrow, as more valuable data will be out.  

I would also point out that middle class struggles at least in part for the past 40 years the Republicans have assaulted taxes on the rich and corporations, meanwhile the middle carries the burden.  So all these programs and what not we "can't afford" have everything to do with the fact that upper crust and major corporations pay near zero.   I know some of you would cry in your cereal every morning if guys like Elmo has to suddenly pay 2 or 3 billion a year in taxes on their 40 billion dollar fortune.  Do that to just the top 1% of 1% and you are well on your way to an additional 1 trillion dollars a year to cover things like debt and programs.  Just saying.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Oh, and @dcbc, I just printed a sample ballot, and like city council races, there is no "D" or "R" next to the school board candidates' name.  So I'll have check on those candidates' party affiliations.  

Local Dem party has probably endorsed. Or check if the GOP did and vote against those 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hookemATL said:

I feel attacked. 

It’s not diamonds per se, it’s the QUANTITY of diamonds needed….   

• Haha 1