2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

I voted first thing this morning.  Pretty good line, but I got there during a brief lull and was in-and-out in less than 15 minutes.  The "voted" stickers are swanky this year.

• Hook 'Em 9

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Disagree. The middle class is not interested in saving anything and programs and policies don't work because the middle class has a culture problem. Plenty in the middle class could save and build wealth like years past, but they would rather get the giant truck they don't need, the 5000 square foot house they don't need, 3 kids all on travel youth sports teams, etc.

Why save money when that doesn't get any engagement on Instagram?

The middle class struggles because they are stupid with their money. Not because of a lack of opportunities.

In Texas, if the schools are good, the house zoned to them is likely 5k sq ft. A Kia Telluride is 50k to start. Might as well get that big truck. Well equipped Burbin is right at 100k. If you don't put your kid in travel sports, in most places they won't even make the school team. It's serious bidness.

Bottom line though. Middle classers used to all the same keepin up with the Joneses, and off of one income.

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

Can we give Walz any credit for this?  This seems to be the demo that he's going after and connecting with, especially in the Blue Wall states.  

We should.  This is his demo - he represented these types of voters in Congress.  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Counterpoint:  Brisket's job from now until election day:

spacer.png

You're not wrong.

I keep thinking something that is probably the motto of most Surlyites' wives: "I just wish this would be over already."

But I also keep thinking something that most Surlyites' wives NEVER think: "This is taking forever."

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Oh shit, a McDonald's appearance AND Antonio Brown?? How are the Dems going to complete? #killshot

Make America Healthy Again!

*Sends Trump to do a fake photo-op at a fast food restaurant

*Brings in some guy with CTE

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Enten is usually a big doomer too (hence why he's on CNN, because they love that shit)

If Harris loses a small amount of black/Hispanic support, but offsets it why winning back some WWC voters, this is a big reason why Dems overperformed the polling in 2022 in the rust belt, compared to the Sun Belt, and probably why she's favored in MI/PA/WI

Carville made a really good point the other day.  (He's still one of the best, really.)

He said that if some of the polls are to be believed (which he doesn't), Trump and the R's are making marginal gains among some minority groups, particularly with men.  However, he said that's more than offset by gains for Harris and the D's among the whites, particularly the college educated block.  That combined with that poll above might back that up.  His final point was that whites make up like 2/3 of the electorate so just a few points either way is much more impactful than even a double digit swing among these other groups, especially factoring in the voting turnout among those respective groups.

He predicted 2024 might the Year of the White Vote for the Democrats and that's something he thought he'd never say.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Oh, and @dcbc, I just printed a sample ballot, and like city council races, there is no "D" or "R" next to the school board candidates' name.  So I'll have check on those candidates' party affiliations.  

That's strange.  I wonder why that is?

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Do the council and school board candidates in East Texas have party affiliations on the ballots?  

City council and school board races are supposed to be nonpartisan, I believe. So yeah, I guess it tracks but they’ll be endorsed by the local parties. Or look out for the ones endorsed by Moms 4 Liberty 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah the council, mayor, school board are all supposed to be non-partisan even though they absolutely are...some dangerously fringe. You need to research those most of all...and of course there is the least amount out there to help you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, South Austin said:

Do the council and school board candidates in East Texas have party affiliations on the ballots?  

I don't know.  If I had to guess, I'd guess they all are R, even the ones who I know for a fact are D.  There wasn't anything local on my ballot today.  Smaller town.  So I'm guessing my school board rep wasn't up for re-election.  Other than President, mostly judges, other state offices, and reps today.  

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

‘Central Park Five’ members sue Trump for defamation after his debate comments on 1989 case

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/21/politics/central-park-five-trump-defamation/index.html

Good for them.  "Central Park Five" is one of my favorite all-time documentaries.  I watched it again recently, and it's still enraging and haunting at how our justice system completely fucked with those kids' lives.  Trump used his celebrity currency to fan those flames, and he was every bit an enabler.  Among the many things that piece of shit has done in his life, a big "fuck you" for that one. 

My heart still aches for those five men.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

be interesting to see what they have to say about the statute of limitations.

There shouldn't be a limitations issue, because the article says they are suing over Trump's comments in September, not his newspaper add or other remarks during the trial.

The five men claim in a 20-page federal lawsuit that Trump knew he was acting with “reckless disregard” for the truth when he said during the September debate with Vice President Kamala Harris that they pleaded guilty to crimes connected to the beating and raping a woman in New York City, and that the five teenagers “badly hurt a person, killed a person” in the attack.

“Defendant Trump’s statements were false and defamatory in numerous respects,” attorneys for the men, now all in their 50s, wrote in the lawsuit filed in federal court in Philadelphia. “Plaintiffs never pled guilty to the Central Park assaults. Plaintiffs all pled not guilty and maintained their innocence throughout their trial and incarceration, as well as after they were released from prison.”

“None of the victims of the Central Park assaults were killed,” the attorneys wrote.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I know they don't in Spurger. I don't know about the rest of East Texas. I hope that helps.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

I guess the Blacks for Trump squad didn't make it to Latrobe ...

Antonio Brown makes me wonder if white folks have someone who is equally as embarrassing to that community as he is to ours. Brown is the purest form of Coonin there is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

be interesting to see what they have to say about the statute of limitations.

They're suing him for his comments in the Harris debate last month.

The boy got his ballot in Germany.  Filling it out and express mailing it today or tomorrow.  I told him we'd cover the extra postage cost -- don't fuck around, and get it sent.

I have a Dr. appointment this afternoon.  There's a polling place nearby.  I may vote in the middle of the day, figure the lines will be short.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Then how will everyone on social media know you voted without the sticker???

Well sir, I don’t do social media except here (which is more of an anti-social media). So of course I told all of you. Job done. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well sir, I don’t do social media except here (which is more of an anti-social media). So of course I told all of you. Job done. 

I'll help you out and post on Facebook that Pato del Muerto from the internet voted today.