2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

Not exactly news, but it’s terrifying that this is where we are:

Journalist Bob Woodward said in an interview with podcaster Tim Miller on October 17 that Dan CoatsDonald Trump's former director of national intelligence, suspects Russian President Vladimir Putin is blackmailing the Republican nominee

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-intel-chief-dan-coats-suspected-putins-blackmail-bob-woodward-1971807

On Miller's The Bulwark Podcast, Woodward discussed how he spoke with Coats while writing his latest book, War, about Trump's relationship with Putin during his presidency and after.

Discussing the pair's relationship, which Coats reportedly called an "enigma," Woodward said, "Coats who, for two and a half years was Trump's director of national intelligence, all the intelligence agencies, including the CIA, sees this. They don't have all of the information, but he sees it."

He continued, "This is so strange, it is so subservient on Trump's part. He actually asks when I discussed this with Coats several months ago, he said 'is this blackmail?' In other words, is Trump being blackmailed?"

Why the fuck is Dan Coats not cutting ads?

The local news in Atlanta - NBC affiliate 11 Alive, just reported that sometime in mid afternoon over 1.95 million votes have now been cast.  No raw data until tomorrow, but I expect we will have crossed 2 million votes.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

So gonna be in the city on the 27th, possibly at the chalemet look alike party (not a fan but my friends in atx have some silly running joke about him) but definitely running errands and tequila shopping.

That said, need ideas for protest signs. Trump is a traitor? USA USA traitors gtfo? Never made protest signs but even if I don’t get a chance to make them after the vandy game, will go by msg to give him the double bird.  

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

one of the most annoying things when Blacks talk about racism to non-Blacks is the non-Black person insisting something isn’t racist when the Black person is sitting there telling you “YES, SHEILA, IT IS RACIST” and they keep responding with “no it’s not”

Missed this post as the thread moves quickly. Quality post by @Pancho This can happen in conversations with only white people as well. I’ve heard a friend claim that something isn’t offensive or racist because it was ok 25 years ago. One, it wasn’t ok then but sadly past society somewhat accepted it. Two, the person making a comment doesn’t get to decide if those hearing it are offended. But they hold firm that it’s not racist.

yes it’s possible that the offender was ignorant or had non-offensive intent but it doesn’t change how the listener felt about it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I gotta be honest with you: I did not know the LA Times was still in business. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Just not the business of journalism. 

Undecided voter in Santa Monica: without the LA Times endorsement, how will I konw who to vote for?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

From what I understand, a good number of Jews are upset with the BLM crowd.  The Jews feel that they were 100% supportive of BLM but now BLM is for Hamas.   

I remember when BLM was killing tens of thousands of civilians and children. That does seem rather ungrateful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re on a dumb analogy roll today. The leopards eating faces metaphor applies when a minority knowingly aligns with a bigot and against an open-minded candidate for selfish or opportunistic reasons. 

That only seems to fit if you focus exclusively on the Trump side of the decision, and completely ignore  the Biden administration’s (and Harris campaign’s) record on this issue. This is not a case where Muslim voters would knowingly chose evil over good because they calculate that they could be on the inside track with evil. It’s a case where they judge, based on an actual track record, that one side is more evil than the other. You just can’t see why they would ever consider the administration that has funded the Gaza assault as evil. 

Like I said, total blind spot. Y'all are seemingly incapable of seeing this objectively. It’s weird, but I guess that’s the shitty part of partisan politics. 

He has a record (Muslim ban) and is the leader of the party that repeatedly tried to censure Ilhan Omar and had her committee assignments revoked for speaking out against Israel well before Oct 7. What you’re saying is as good of a “both sides” argument as probably exists and would rationally support not voting or I guess voting for Jill Stein. I would disagree with that take but understand. To actually vote for the person who has an outspoken anti Muslim record and who has flat out said he’s cheering on Israel’s current activities is actively siding with evil and supporting more violence against those for whom they say they are speaking out in support. I think its definitely worth calling out.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

My wife is grieving her mom’s recent death.

Today, she was feverish with the flu, and as I was driving her to the doctor, she mumbled, “I know I'm going to hell for saying this, but at least now my vote won’t just offset mom’s.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Missed this post as the thread moves quickly. Quality post by [mention=2292]Pancho[/mention] This can happen in conversations with only white people as well. I’ve heard a friend claim that something isn’t offensive or racist because it was ok 25 years ago. One, it wasn’t ok then but sadly past society somewhat accepted it. Two, the person making a comment doesn’t get to decide if those hearing it are offended. But they hold firm that it’s not racist.
yes it’s possible that the offender was ignorant or had non-offensive intent but it doesn’t change how the listener felt about it. 
People that I grew up with a few years earlier called the road we drank beer on "nig#@r" road as late as 92; and still used this term when I ran into them in the 00s. NW Houston. My response was wtf, why are you calling it that, that's not what we called it, it was just the road on the street sign.

My little brother is still mad had he can't use slures and has to use Asian instead of oriental.

So fucking dumb; don't be an asshole.

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

(Democratic pollster)

I said this earlier. 2 weeks out, no one is sounding the warning bells on the Dem side, while the GOP is publicly cutting resources to try and salvage other districts and triaging suburban districts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Clark county was one of the few, if any others, that held in person voting over last weekend in Nevada.The SOS website didn’t report them until later. It’s a non story because a bunch of amateurs don’t know how the reporting works.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

For Nevada it looks like Republicans are crushing Dems at in-person, so far, but that could just be due to how Nevadans are. If most Dems are in Clark County and most Clark County Dems have unusual work schedules they might not behave like others in other states, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

EDIT:

Yes, it looks like historically Republicans are more active at in-person early voting in Nevada

https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/home/showpublisheddocument/9062/637419197840270000

248k Rep to 165k Dem

Whereas for Mail Ballots the Dems crushed Reps 631k to 356k (if I'm reading this right)

https://www.nvsos.gov/sos/home/showpublisheddocument/9058/637437166448530000

Election Day was 60k Rep to 44k Dem, so it seems that in Nevada overwhelming majority of the state uses mail/dropoff ballots, a sizeable minority uses in-person early voting, and about 100k people vote in-person on election day.

Edited by chainsaw
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have been traveling all afternoon and just got caught up on this thread.  Can anyone tell me where we landed on if it’s understandable for Muslims to vote for Trump and if he does win should we not feel bad for them?

In all seriousness, this Muslim discussion is the wrong way to look at it.  Anybody, whether they are white, black, Latino, Muslim, Jewish, LGBTQ, Asian, you name it that votes for Trump and if he wins deserves every fucking bad thing that happens to them.  While I will be sad for my country if that fuckstick becomes President again I will be happy that those Trump voters fucked around and found out.  The Latinos that voted for him end up getting deported, fuck em.  The Muslims that voted for him and then watch him help Bibi really commit genocide in Gaza and the West Bank, fuck em.  The LGBTQ people that vote for him and then have their rights stripped by the religious right, fuck em.  Every last person that votes for him deserves the worst in my mind and I hope they get it.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have been traveling all afternoon and just got caught up on this thread.  Can anyone tell me where we landed on if it’s understandable for Muslims to vote for Trump and if he does win should we not feel bad for them?

In all seriousness, this Muslim discussion is the wrong way to look at it.  Anybody, whether they are white, black, Latino, Muslim, Jewish, LGBTQ, Asian, you name it that votes for Trump and if he wins deserves every fucking bad thing that happens to them.  While I will be sad for my country if that fuckstick becomes President again I will be happy that those Trump voters fucked around and found out.  The Latinos that voted for him end up getting deported, fuck em.  The Muslims that voted for him and then watch him help Bibi really commit genocide in Gaza and the West Bank, fuck em.  The LGBTQ people that vote for him and then have their rights stripped by the religious right, fuck em.  Every last person that votes for him deserves the worst in my mind and I hope they get it.  

Sadly, this is kind of where I’m at. We (the royal we) will get what we deserve if he’s elected again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread moves too fast for me to know whether this has been posted already. Good news potentially:

https://jasonstanford.substack.com/p/the-big-mistake-polls-are-making?r=d52ws&utm_medium=ios&triedRedirect=true

The Nate Cohn article a few days ago about how polls are weighting covered some of this, but this does a better job of explaining the effects of that weighting. Thanks for posting.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, C-Man said:

If it gets her off the federal bench, we at least get that silver lining. Trump will only pick an AG that will do his personal bidding so it may not matter if it’s her or someone else. No one of character will accept his nomination.