2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

39 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

It's just fucking weird.

Damn ... It's not "fucking weird."

It's fucking Christian fascist! 

Here's what's weird: That so many can't put two words together -- Christian fascist -- when that exactly describes MAGA, GQP, and their Fuhrer, Donald Trump. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Haven't we figured this out by now?

They're not undecided.  CNN tells them to lie.  Lest we forget the "undecided" voter from the September debate who admitted he was a Trump voter, CNN knew he was a Trump voter and they told him to show up "open minded" regardless.

Working hard to get the real news.

Hey, let's bring in a panel of random idiots or liars! We don't even have to go down on the street for our worthless man-on-the-street interviews!

But why do you do that? Maybe investigate the systemic problem we have with a largely disengaged electorate? Why waste the time on interviewing people you know nothing about whose opinions relate to nothing?

Because we do it every election year. Duh! I went to college and studied journalism! They taught me how it is done.

22 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I hope the polls end up being WAY off. To the point of destroying the industry. 

It'd be one of the few bright spots in this horrid media and political landscape if no one could trust polling anymore. Remove the careful curation of messaging and policy and just simply lay out your plans and ideals. May the best campaign win. 

Look, the polls aren’t the problem.  Political scientists would like to believe that asking citizens about their preferences is healthy for democracy and for communicating preferences to elected officials.  

The problem is they are now being used to feed a media ecosystem that is far more interested in talking about a horse race than policy.  And in support of that you have media acknowledging the results of shit pollsters and treating them the same as non-partisan polls. 

It’s not entirely different from all the goddamn bowl games that end up hosting Nevada versus Vanderbilt and both have 6-5 records.  

• Hook 'Em 5

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

fuck this whole fucking puppet show. 

Fucking fuck. Who the fuck sees this and thinks, "That's something I want to be a part of"? And then somehow have the gall to consider themselves "independent thinkers."

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

The crazy part is we are in a world where they are questioning the intelligence of someone who not only was successful at everything she ever did, but found herself in leadership position after leadership position. There is no doubt in my mind that Harris was shift leader at McDonalds. 

I don't allow myself to wallow in thoughts about racism all that much. Sure I talk about it on here but I don't let it last long mentally. However, every once and awhile something will give me pause and make me really take it all in. When I was young, to get me to understand that I had to excel, my mom used to tell me that black people have to prove they are worthy while white folks have to prove they are not. Moments like these put it in perspective.

Bravo to your mom. That's excellent. I'll use that line.

• Like 1

I am too tired to come up with a whitty response on why we live in a country with the most regarded percent of people.  Maybe @Brisketexan can muster the strength. 

I voted blue top down. I hate people.

Watching NBC national run a story that Trump is up 2% nationally and people attacking/burning polling places.

jesus christo, we deserve it all.

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Hook 'Em 3

Wow. Fuuuuuuuuck Brian Lanza. He's not a man. Human garbage.

ICYMI: Re: Stacey Williams and others who've come forward with their sexual assault stories, he called them liars, said it's a fake story created by the Harris campaign and that more fake stories are on the way.  Alencia Johnson tore him a new asshole, as she should have.

Edited by wood
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am too tired to come up with a whitty response on why we live in a country with the most regarded percent of people.  Maybe @Brisketexan can muster the strength. 

I voted blue top down. I hate people.

Watching NBC national run a story that Trump is up 2% nationally and people attacking/burning polling places.

jesus christo, we deserve it all.

They’re so fucking gleeful for the ratings. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Do they list and rank the policies in that Xitter thread or provide a link to it? If so, do you mind posting that info? I'd love to see what it says.

I’m presuming that’s from the WaPo survey and article, the author of which was on the Bulwark podcast yesterday.  Tim Miller asked the obvious question-“If her policies are so popular why isn’t Kamala doing better?”

He started to answer his own question, echoed by the reporter, that Trump supportive voters aren’t ranking policy alignment very highly.  They are MAGA cultists and/or pissed about inflation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

fuck this whole fucking puppet show. 

I have to chuckle at this picture, knowing 2 things:

1. Trump probably hates religious people, and he must be very uncomfortable in this setting.  Good.

2. Reaching in like that, pretty much everyone is within smelling distance of Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This been posted yet? I'm sure Trump will call to have their broadcast license revoked.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/24/media/fox-news-edit-trump-barbershop-interview/index.html

CNN sounds mad they didn’t think of it first 

Soon the law will be they can only air whatever the White House allows them to air 

Edited by Js1

58 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Fucking fuck. Who the fuck sees this and thinks, "That's something I want to be a part of"? And then somehow have the gall to consider themselves "independent thinkers."

These are the same people who think that thirty minutes of research on Facebook rewards the researcher with PhD level understanding of any topic.  They refused pandemic advice from literally all of the leading immunologists in the world, but they took it from their cousin's father-in-law's veterinarian.

Thinking isn't exactly these people's strong suit. 

They just want to be told that a) whatever they think is correct, and b) God loves them more than the people who are smarter than they are.  So, yeah, that prayer circle around Donald Trump looks pretty good to them.  It's easy endorphins, and it beats having to think all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Would.

I see ...

Senator Megan Hunt
@NebraskaMegan

Independent State Senator in Omaha's District 8, Creative entrepreneur, Mom. Vice Chair of Urban Affairs. Bi queen. She/her. Free Palestine.

47 minutes ago, Derka said:

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Harris has done a fine job explaining her policies to those listening. The media ignores it or twists it 

Came to post this same thing. She’s done a great job, but it’s not reported on, and a huge segment doesn’t absorb news or reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why does everyone discredit Silver and say he’s shifted right? Because he posts predictions you don’t like? He’s a pretty well-respected mathematician that’s nailed every election except 2016. He hasn’t posted any personal political opinions that I know of. I wouldn’t be so quick to right him off. 

Silver wasn't that far off in 2016. At the end, 538 had the race at 70-30 for Hillary and definitely in the margin of error. 538 did a lot better than a lot of aggregators. His models did fine in 2018 also.

I lost faith in Silver when he started talking about the pandemic. He knows nothing about biologic systems, epidemiology, virology or an relevant modeling. Yet, he felt very comfortable spouting off bullshit. When presented with his errors, he refused to acknowledge them.

Smart people know enough to know where their expertise ends. His confidence talking about stuff he knows nothing about underminded my confidence in his ability to talk about anything.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, quigley said:

Silver wasn't that far off in 2016. At the end, 538 had the race at 70-30 for Hillary and definitely in the margin of error. 538 did a lot better than a lot of aggregators. His models did fine in 2018 also.

I lost faith in Silver when he started talking about the pandemic. He knows nothing about biologic systems, epidemiology, virology or an relevant modeling. Yet, he felt very comfortable spouting off bullshit. When presented with his errors, he refused to acknowledge them.

Smart people know enough to know where their expertise ends. His confidence talking about stuff he knows nothing about underminded my confidence in his ability to talk about anything.

I knew he was a dumbass hack when his response 2 years ago to the right wing trash polls skewing the averages (and being wrong) was “well the democrats could just do it too”

• Hook 'Em 1