2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

What the hell does “firewall” mean in this context. I’ve seen it a lot

Early voting totals for one candidate that build up a backlog the other side has to make up/overcome on election day.  It's like betting on a point spread or playing with a handicap.  

Just now, TexasEd said:

Early voting totals for one candidate that build up a backlog the other side has to make up/overcome on election day.  It's like betting on a point spread or playing with a handicap.  

Don't explain things to someone who just rolled in this week to spout that Trump is going to win, Nate Silver is always right and doesn't understand what the hell we've been talking about for weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

tHe MaRkEt ThInKs TrUmP iS gOnNa WiN!!!

/MAGA

Had a Trump supporting coworker tell me that "if Trump gets elected, it's gonna be the easiest time in history to get rich because the market is gonna go crazy."

Like my brother in Christ, the market is up over 60% in the past two years. What the fuck more do you expect Trump to do to bolster it? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this should be an ad tomorrow ….

im curious if his team had identified army officers that will back cause 

hugo chavez playbook 

I begin to suspect a general strategy going on between entities that don't normally cooperate to launch carefully timed missiles at Trump. It sure looks like different stories are being lined up and timed. It would make sense with the stakes being so high.

John Kelly. Ellis. The grope story. The number of GOPs turning on Trump who likely have ammo. I think the water is about to be filled with torpedoes. 

Trump had his toady Kash Patel in place at the Pentagon with Mike Flynn's brother in on the decision making. The lies about Flynn's involvement afterwards have always been worrisome to me. (EcomCon for those familiar with the great Seven Days in May original).

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

Had a Trump supporting coworker tell me that "if Trump gets elected, it's gonna be the easiest time in history to get rich because the market is gonna go crazy."

Like my brother in Christ, the market is up over 60% in the past two years. What the fuck more do you expect Trump to do to bolster it? 

Just wait until Trump is elected with a R senate and the market goes down and he starts blaming the Dems in the minority for causing the market to go down.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

ah man.  i was hoping for a totally different ending.

Huge success yesterday with favorite Billy Madison lines, let's do the same  today with another golden age Sandler movie... Happy Gilmore. : r/Xennials

I expected to go differently as well.  Kudos to the piece of shit Trumper for not escalating it further.  Although it’s probably too much to ask to expect him to have actually thought about what I said.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

*Fewer/Menos/Moins

29 minutes ago, bolverk said:

As a liberal arts major, I feel somewhat obligated to rectify this egregious grammatical error.

tenor.gif

I saw that after I posted, but I did not want to do the edit of shame.

And nobody here wants to see me attempt to actually spell words correctly without spellcheck.   They tried to teach spelling using phonics in the early 60s. Moving to different parts of the country every two years made me incapable of figuring out how a word should be spelled.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Got a #csb from voting just now.  2 people in front of me in line was a white man, probably in his mid 60s.  He had an empty open carry holster on his belt.  Between me and him was a black man probably mid 40s.  As we get to the line after having our IDs checked, the white guy turns to the black guy and says “be sure to check your printed ballot, because the voting machines are changing people’s ballots.”  The black man didn’t say anything, but I was standing right behind him shaking my head, and I said quietly “no”.  The white guys says to me “you don’t think that is true?”  And I said “I know it’s not true.”  It was our turn to vote so we all moved on.  But I was boiling.  I finished voting before the white guy.  I waited for him in the parking lot.  He came walking out with his wife and another woman.  I walked up to him and said “Sir, your comment to that man in line was wildly inappropriate.  Undermining people’s faith in our elections WHILE STANDING IN LINE TO VOTE is totally out of line and unacceptable.  It’s also unpatriotic.”  He just stared back at me with his mouth agape.  I gave him 2-3 seconds to respond, and when he didn’t, I just turned and walked away.  And that’s the end of my cool starry bra.  Not sure why that pissed me off so much but goddam im still mad about it.

Last election, I overheard a guy talking voluably about some such conspiracy believed by the idiots who vote MAGA. I pursed my lips and looked at the ceiling. Politeness and outrage fight it out inside me. 

He's comfortable assuming such utterances are acceptable in the voting line. It's not a social gathering, so my silence doesn't mean affirmation. Still, why should the yokel go unchecked? I stayed quiet, but I do struggle with that stuff. 

My experience is different than yours. You were clearly correct. My own polite silence frays.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Why do you do this? You haven’t posted in this thread really at all and then all of a sudden you come in thread shitting left and right. Did you just need the attention? 

And fuck, I just gave you that attention. 

Oh Man Reaction GIF by Bounce

Put him on ignore. Don't quote him.

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Why do you do this? You haven’t posted in this thread really at all and then all of a sudden you come in thread shitting left and right. Did you just need the attention? 

And fuck, I just gave you that attention. 

Oh Man Reaction GIF by Bounce

I truly did Google “election firewall”, nothing came up that made much sense. 

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

This story is tangentially related to a horse race and to election issues. It's too impactful to not post.

tldw, is there a point reached eventually?

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My intensive summer of two Ancient Greek classes (3 hours a day) with a C and a D+ confirm that this is accurate. I get verb conjugations, but noun declensions are straight up bullshit. Baylor lets you get a BA with two semesters of Latin and 2 semesters of Ancient Greek, so it's possible to graduate without learning anything.

CSB time:

I had neglected my FL requirement and wanted to graduate in the Fall. The Summer Intensive Ancient Greek program is 10 weeks and gets you 3 semesters of credit. IIRC, class started at 8:30, broke for lunch at 11:30, and the afternoon session went from 1:30 to 4:30. The suggested study time after that was 4 hours. I actually did that some of the time. I got a B (I remember basically nothing, though).

I sat next to a Colonel in the Army who was headed for a teaching post in the Army War College. A 14 y.o. kid was in the class who had, according to the prof, an impressive knowledge of Eqyptian hieroglyphics. I was surrounded by people who knew what they wanted to accomplish and were dedicated to the things they did. That was a terrible summer, but I graduated on my timeline.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

The child decides that taking the horse to school is a bad idea because the horse can’t fit in the closet and so there’s no way to protect it during an active shooter situation.

Yeah, it was a real fucking gut punch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don't explain things to someone who just rolled in this week to spout that Trump is going to win, Nate Silver is always right and doesn't understand what the hell we've been talking about for weeks. 

Did you miss the "handicap" part?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

I'm no financial genius, but I think there's a good chance the market would significantly dip when Trump shits himself during his inauguration speech.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

And nobody here wants to see me attempt to actually spell words correctly without spellcheck.   They tried to teach spelling using phonics in the early 60s. Moving to different parts of the country every two years made me incapable of figuring out how a word should be spelled.

http://www.learnenglishspellingrules1.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09 ...

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You wanna hear why gas stations end up where they are?

If this is obvious, I'm sorry I missed it. I'd love to learn this. Why are they across the street from each other so frequently? Are they going to become charging stations in the next decade?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not going to lie. The shit coming out right now almost indicates that the fourth estate moneyed business interests understands the stakes. My main issue is that these idiots are a week late. 10-15% of the people who will vote have already voted.

I agree it's being leaked late (and too late) for a reason.

But I posit it's "Wall St" or money financial people in general worried Trump will fuck shit up or just that success in American business will be largely dependent on whether you curry favor with him and his administration.

Also, how is this a surprise? We know the Starlink system used by Ukraine was being turned on and off. It wasn't being done by accident.

Edited by quigley

13 minutes ago, softlynow said:

CSB time:

I had neglected my FL requirement and wanted to graduate in the Fall. The Summer Intensive Ancient Greek program is 10 weeks and gets you 3 semesters of credit. IIRC, class started at 8:30, broke for lunch at 11:30, and the afternoon session went from 1:30 to 4:30. The suggested study time after that was 4 hours. I actually did that some of the time. I got a B (I remember basically nothing, though).

I sat next to a Colonel in the Army who was headed for a teaching post in the Army War College. A 14 y.o. kid was in the class who had, according to the prof, an impressive knowledge of Eqyptian hieroglyphics. I was surrounded by people who knew what they wanted to accomplish and were dedicated to the things they did. That was a terrible summer, but I graduated on my timeline.  

That sounds terrible. Mine was a similar situation where it was a singular summer semester that had two semesters of Ancient Greek in it, and I needed both to graduate in the fall just like you did. I had taken a semester of Portuguese (and made a D in it) in my first semester of college and then just dropped foreign language until later like all good 19-year-olds would do. I found myself in Latin for a couple semesters and planned on taking 4 semesters of Latin, but it would have meant staying until the spring of my 5th year. 

I remember the hardest part was that it was from 8-11:30 with no break and that it was my first 8AM in 4.5 years of college. We did get extra credit for attending the Classics Club meetings at night though for pizza and fun (Classics women at religious schools are the opposite of fun) every Thursday night.

• Like 2

As someone who a Boy Scout Leader for decades I have a lot of conservative leaning friends.   And the thing I have been grappling with since 2016 is that a lot of them are intelligent and successful…and yet they believe all of the Maga shit Trump/Fox spews even though it’s clearly false and bullshit.

So basically, they are gullible.  I always thought that intelligence was an antidote to gullibility, but it seems they are two distinct species of mental abilities.   With no rational explanation, I’ve finally come to conclude that “gullible” is simply choosing to believe that which you want to believe for your own reasons.   

it really defies explanation.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, quigley said:

If this is obvious, I'm sorry I missed it. I'd love to learn this. Why are they across the street from each other so frequently? Are they going to become charging stations in the next decade?

What kind of self-respecting man would go to a gas station on the wrong side of the street?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

As someone who a Boy Scout Leader for decades I have a lot of conservative leaning friends.   And the thing I have been grappling with since 2016 is that a lot of them are intelligent and successful…and yet they believe all of the Maga shit Trump/Fox spews even though it’s clearly false and bullshit.

So basically, they are gullible.  I always thought that intelligence was an antidote to gullibility, but it seems they are two distinct species of mental abilities.   With no rational explanation, I’ve finally come to conclude that “gullible” is simply choosing to believe that which you want to believe for your own reasons.   

it really defies explanation.

"Intelligence" doesn't always imply common sense.  "Successful" cuts across all kinds of demographics.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Did anyone invite Travis Scott?  

Hopefully he's not handling security

11 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That revised map is funny for Texas in that all the Rs that live around the periphery of the blue urban centers are donating much more than their rural counterparts.  More expendable income in the suburbs and exurbs than the farm towns?  More density to pile up a big number?  Or does proximity breed resentment?

boise and kind of Atlanta are the only similar areas. 

Our suburbs, like the suburbs of Boise and Atlanta, are a mecca for the reverse dust-bowlers fleeing commiefornia.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

Are there though? It seems both Democratic and Republican voters reject it now. Which i find kind of wild.

I think there's a high percentage of "ex Republicans" or normie Republicans voting for Harris who quietly believe it's too soon to tell if the 2001, 2003, and 2017 tax cuts will pay for themselves, and always will be. 

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Bread.

This point seems somewhat self-evident and people keep overlooking it. The Big Sort works both ways.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

How much Houston voter turnout is needed to make significant dent into Texas shifting? I know something was posted about it recently.

Texas might shift, or be close to it, if Harris county turned out like the other big counties do. They’ll just never be at Travis County margins. 56% for the Dems in 2020 - now imagine if they got 65% like Dallas county

28 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

The child decides that taking the horse to school is a bad idea because the horse can’t fit in the closet and so there’s no way to protect it during an active shooter situation.

Worst episode ever

image.jpeg.d0044be2ac3eb6742846a7857ae278b9.jpeg

• Haha 2

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

I think there's a high percentage of "ex Republicans" or normie Republicans voting for Harris who quietly believe it's too soon to tell if the 2001, 2003, and 2017 tax cuts will pay for themselves, and always will be. 

Yes, I agree there will always be some. More that I mean that both parties are explicitly advocating against it now. I don't really see a laissez faire party.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Texas might shift, or be close to it, if Harris county turned out like the other big counties do. They’ll just never be at Travis County margins. 56% for the Dems in 2020 - now imagine if they got 65% like Dallas county

Harris county won’t ever get to 65% with cypress and. Northwest Harris county being so aggy and MAGA

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

How much Houston voter turnout is needed to make significant dent into Texas shifting? I know something was posted about it recently.

Obviously Houston turnout is great.

But what we need is Dallas turnout to be high. Not to mention El Paso and San Antonio.

All the major cities need to come out strong every election and we have just not been able to make that happen. It seems like we have come tantalizingly close in the recent decade but still...

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I guess I’m a dumbass because I just now realized that a lot of people choose the color of the clothing they wear to go vote based on who they are voting for.  It dawned on me as I looked at this long ass line and was like “why are like 80% of the people in this line wearing blue?”

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

I wore a blue USA shirt. But I’m also a big bald white dude in Texas. I’m willing to bet most folks in line would assume I was voting for Trump. Boy could they not be more wrong.

I wish I had waited to vote and picked up an Arnold Palmer t-shirt to wear in line.

Its Friday, should be time to get my Soros check and I should  go vote again, wonder how fast I can get an Arnie shirt here,

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Harris county won’t ever get to 65% with cypress and. Northwest Harris county being so aggy and MAGA

Deport them to Montgomery County. We don’t want them 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

I'd make MN dark blue and AZ/GA light blue. Otherwise this seems supported by what we're seeing:

I think he means "if actual," not that the actual result is that way. But regardless, I think that's more likely than either the polling average being exactly right or the pollsters underestimating Trumps base again. 

I'm not ready to call my shot, but that's my map if the election was held today. 

BTW - I don't think his shading is anything other than an artifact of setting the colors on the battleground states.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. I just thought the big, very sharp difference between SM and NB was interesting. There's no gradation at all. Just blue, then wham, red. What accounts for that? Is it the German factor that was talked about weeks ago?

Those German anti-secessionist genes are long gone.  Its a bunch of transplants from elsewhere, most from Texas so they can create their own like MAGA fiefdom.

• Hook 'Em 1