2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Rogan reaches millions among a demographic who tends to be one of the least engaged in politics. Anyone thinking there's no undecideds in that group is a fucking moron. 

Edit: For clarity, I'm a college professor. Rogan is by far the most popular podcast among my male students. 

I didn’t say they are not undecided. I said if they are they are fucking morons.
  • Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

So also least likely to vote at all then

Yes. But many of them, IF they vote, lean Trump. All they need is a little more push to dampen their enthusiasm/ give-a-shit for the orange god. The more potential Trump voters stay home, the better. 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

I didn’t say they are not undecided. I said if they are they are fucking morons.

That point wasn't directed at you, but the original poster I was quoting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, LTbear said:

Yes. But many of them, IF they vote, lean Trump. All they need is a little more push to dampen their enthusiasm/ give-a-shit for the orange god. The more potential Trump voters stay home, the better. 

Share with them the threads on reddit where thousands of women are saying they'll never fuck a bitch who votes for Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don't pretend to have any degree of confidence in how this election will go, but you've got some nerve coming to Surly and implying people spending their time posting on the internet are detached from reality.

My parents are detached from reality. Mom to a lesser extent but still she's now pretty deranged. 25 years ago I debated whether they were smart enough to recognize that the "fair and balanced" shit they were watching on Bill O'Reilly was total bullshit. I decided poorly. I thought they could recognize the obvious signs that the "no spin zone" was, in fact, all spin. In the years since they went from somewhat open minded to fully deranged. That transition coincided with Fox News's full embrace of Diaper Don during the republican primaries after Fox realized Cruz was a total loser.  

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Chopper said:

The first lesson in Professor Timothy Snyder’s On Tyranny, is - Do Not Obey in Advance. He explains:

Most of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then offer themselves up without being asked. A citizen who adapts in this way is teaching power what it can do.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

You people have my head spinning. The level of confidence here on a Harris win is very exciting given the public media stories and polls. 

But, I recall eight years ago and this group was also highly confident. So, do we have that situation again?

I can’t remember the general tone four years ago, but I think there was a genuine lack of clarity one way or the other? Can’t remember. 

29 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Rogan reaches millions among a demographic who tends to be one of the least engaged in politics. Anyone thinking there's no undecideds in that group is a fucking moron. 

Edit: For clarity, I'm a college professor. Rogan is by far the most popular podcast among my male students. 

too late in the game

these interviews needed to hit in june, to give listeners time to REGISTER. the listeners that are registered, have already decided or already voted 

this might move the needle of a small undecided group, but likely not rogan listeners 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

You people have my head spinning. The level of confidence here on a Harris win is very exciting given the public media stories and polls. 

But, I recall eight years ago and this group was also highly confident. So, do we have that situation again?

I can’t remember the general tone four years ago, but I think there was a genuine lack of clarity one way or the other? Can’t remember. 

I was not confident at all eight years ago and I certainly was not four years ago because Trump was in office and who the hell knows might happen?

I am optimistic now because of the early voting data in Michigan, Georgia, and Pennsylvania. I feel like we have a good chance. It is what it is though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

too late in the game

these interviews needed to hit in june, to give listeners time to REGISTER. the listeners that are registered, have already decided or already voted 

this might move the needle of a small undecided group, but likely not rogan listeners 

Putt, every state isn’t Texas. There are plenty of places where you can still register and then vote in this election. 

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

i've seen a lot (too many?) stories lately about "how can we avoid repeating 2016", including a cnn interview with hillary herself.

assuming the election was fought fairly (eyeroll), the entire political landscape was different in 2015-16. obama was just in the wh for 8 years. all the dems were docile and relaxed, and trump was seen as a joke of a candidate, and we were overconfident. i admit i thought, even after he won, that he'd just sit there like a knucklehead, because he didn't understand government (not that far off, but whatever).

now, we've had trump in our lives for 10 years. turnout has been up every cycle since. nobody is docile. nobody is relaxed. people are quietly confident, but nobody is yelling from the rooftops about it. they're staying angry and making sure everybody else is too. dems who sounded the alarms 2-3 weeks out in 2016 are eerily silent right now.

we've got this.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't remember anyone thinking Hillary had it in the bag. The Hillary Bernie thing was really messy and bad and everyone hated Hillary. 

This is not that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I think people thought Hillary had it in the bag because Trump was such a joke of a candidate. Everyone underestimated how much people hated Hillary combined with her terrible campaigning. Trump's team played the EC exactly how you need to to win the election. Kamala isn't getting caught flat footed and she doesn't have the baggage that Hillary does. But she's still a black female and I think there's a lot of men and women out there who won't vote for her for that reason. I just don't know that they'd vote for Trump either. They may just not vote. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I think you’re confusing confidence and optimism. I’d call this forum optimistic for Kamala’s chances, not confident.

Eight years ago was very different. The national media was basically already crowning Hillary, while downballot Democrats were trying to sound the alarm and the MAGA enthusiasm was obviously through the roof. No idea what this year will bring, but the narrative is currently favoring Trump yet no Democrats are publicly sounding the alarm, Kamala is drawing 30k on a Friday night, and Republicans are claiming that electoral college electors should be awarded prior to counting votes.

Again, I’m not CONFIDENT in her chances, but there are a lot of things that would make a Kamala win look obvious in hindsight.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I think people thought Hillary had it in the bag because Trump was such a joke of a candidate. Everyone underestimated how much people hated Hillary combined with her terrible campaigning. Trump's team played the EC exactly how you need to to win the election. Kamala isn't getting caught flat footed and she doesn't have the baggage that Hillary does. But she's still a black female and I think there's a lot of men and women out there who won't vote for her for that reason. I just don't know that they'd vote for Trump either. They may just not vote. 

From this month's Harper's Index:

Factor by which Americans are more likely to disapprove of a woman's election to the presidency than a person of color's: 3

Source: NORC at the University of Chicago

19 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I was not confident at all eight years ago and I certainly was not four years ago because Trump was in office and who the hell knows might happen?

I am optimistic now because of the early voting data in Michigan, Georgia, and Pennsylvania. I feel like we have a good chance. It is what it is though.

I was somewhat confident until James Comey’s October surprise.

22 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

too late in the game

Further clarity: I'm not arguing for either do it/ don't it as to Rogan. Just responding originally to a dumb assertion that there aren't any undecideds in Rogan's listeners. 

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And Steve Bannon spent this campaign cycle with n federal prison. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The first lesson in Professor Timothy Snyder’s On Tyranny, is - Do Not Obey in Advance. He explains:

Most of the power of authoritarianism is freely given. In times like these, individuals think ahead about what a more repressive government will want, and then offer themselves up without being asked. A citizen who adapts in this way is teaching power what it can do.”

Sadly, this is what the WAPO and the LA Times have done, owner’s prerogative notwithstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I'm now feeling very optimistic about this election. I was hopeful but deeply concerned about Hillary Clinton's election, and pessimistic with a pit in my stomach once the the October surprise went down. With Biden, I felt the same as Valmy. 

The MSM is what it is. But Harris has adroitly gone around the MSM to connect directly with voters with her ads plus Taylor Swift. Beyonce. The Convention. They've masterfully targeted swing voters and voters. Kamala was also in supposedly deeply red Texas yesterday, 11 days before the election, to rally voter turnout for her and for a Senate election. That provides so much information about where things stand. She's pushing the edges. Women are going to save our collective asses. I'm not spiking the football until election day but this election couldn't reasonably be going any better than it is. 

If I were on xitter, I would -- at least for the time being -- trim my follows to ~3 people whose reputation I considered unimpeachable, and I'd just scroll their posts instead of looking at my feed if the site was fucking with my feed. I would not, under any circumstances, subject myself to its algorithm. If you're on xitter you're -- pehaps unwittingly -- watching Russian ops happen in real time.  

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just had some fucking cunt knocking doors in my neighborhood putting this shit on my door to get out the vote for republicans.  Also had a “Trump endorsed” congressman or something flyer telling me vote for this America First candidate.  Read this shit and tell me if you see anything rage inducing about it.  
IMG_4291.thumb.jpeg.8d33f6a6387706965198d8ffd9d73fa6.jpegIMG_4292.thumb.jpeg.f2aae4c11f7fb89cae300e0e365368aa.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

You going to post a pic of the burrito or just fuck the rules?

Srsly, tho, drive safe. 

Drive safe, take a deep breath of mountain air, then get back to work being the foil to briskets ledge character for 10 more days.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

all I know is that many women voting is very bad for the orange shithead. That is about as finessed as I need to be..

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I’m can’t believe we are still on the Rohan thing, 

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

But Gondor calls for aid!

No Way Reaction GIF

Let’s stick to Chili’s talk and ditch the Chronicles of Narnia talk, because otherwise somebody will post the gif of Dumbledore saying “Use the Force Harry” and then somebody else will get triggered and will argue who was better as Dumbledore - Ian McKellen or Brian Cox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just had some fucking cunt knocking doors in my neighborhood putting this shit on my door to get out the vote for republicans.  Also had a “Trump endorsed” congressman or something flyer telling me vote for this America First candidate.  Read this shit and tell me if you see anything rage inducing about it.  

Same old shit. Somehow they have had an unchecked majority in the Lege plus every statewide office every year this century yet can never seem to achieve their legislative goals.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I had been taught about the poll tax, but it didn't really land until last year when I was helping my wife and her sister go through their dad's papers after he passed away.  He had kept poll tax receipts that he and his father-in-law had paid, going back to the 40s.  When you see that a person had to pay $75 in 1948 dollars to vote, that brings home just how onerous the poll tax was.  That lady is an absolute hero and treasure.

Fucking unbelievable. I knew about poll taxes, but I had no idea they were this steep or that they lasted so long. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

I don't remember anyone thinking Hillary had it in the bag. The Hillary Bernie thing was really messy and bad and everyone hated Hillary. 

This is not that.

Uh, the vast majority of Democrats thought Trump had zero chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

IMG_4291.thumb.jpeg.8d33f6a6387706965198d8ffd9d73fa6.jpegIMG_4292.thumb.jpeg.f2aae4c11f7fb89cae300e0e365368aa.jpeg

Narrator: they won’t do any of that

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shit, the mayor of Oklahoma Fucking City just came out yesterday.

That's suicide for his chance for higher office. Good for him to take a stand that he wasn't obligated to take.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Let’s stick to Chili’s talk and ditch the Chronicles of Narnia talk, because otherwise somebody will post the gif of Dumbledore saying “Use the Force Harry” and then somebody else will get triggered and will argue who was better as Dumbledore - Ian McKellen or Brian Cox.

Upon further review, this is hilarious.