2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Nope.  I've been working in Monaco for a while and haven't gotten into the American political news cycle.  I also intentionally avoid social media unless I'm peepin' hotties on Instagram, which I quite enjoy.  

Pics of the Princess or GTFO (assuming she's over 18) k thx, bye

Reporting from NBC News - published 2 hours ago. https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/misinformation/elon-musk-x-boosts-election-conspiracy-theories-ai-trends-twitter-rcna176941

image.thumb.png.6f967b991d543482ac07125df0da344a.png

Elon Musk’s social media app X is supercharging the spread of voter-fraud conspiracy theories with the help of artificial intelligence, boosting unfounded claims including two personal smears against Vice President Kamala Harris.

The dubious content is spreading in the app’s “explore” section, which says it uses Musk’s AI software, named Grok, to aggregate trending social media topics. The information does not appear to be fact-checked by humans, and in several recent examples it seemed to repeat false or unsubstantiated claims as if they were true.

The feature is named “stories for you” and has a label saying it’s in a beta test, meaning it’s an experiment not available to all users. Each “story for you” consists of a feed of posts related to a trending topic. On the desktop version of X, users can also see a paragraph-long summary of the topic written by the Grok software if they look at the history of the “story for you.”

The feature’s placement in X’s explore section gives it prominent digital real estate in the final weeks of the presidential election, in which Musk is backing former President Donald Trump. Its repeated amplification of misinformation and conspiracy theories related to the election follows a string of instances where Musk has personally shared similar ideas, both in live appearances and on his social media.

In the past week, NBC News identified five “stories for you” that pushed baseless claims related to the election.

Each trending topic curated by Grok includes a warning disclaiming any responsibility for accuracy and telling users to check facts on their own: “Grok can make mistakes, verify its outputs,” the disclaimer says.

On Monday, Grok uncritically repeated debunked allegations of wrongdoing related to the voting machine company Dominion Voting Systems. Grok produced a “story for you” titled “Public Scrutiny of Dominion Voting Systems,” which aggregated posts accusing the company of “election rigging” and “fraud.” Dominion has previously denounced similar accusations as lies, and last year Fox News agreed to pay $787.5 million to settle a defamation lawsuit brought by Dominion.

Grok’s written summary of the online debate accused Dominion of “potentially stifling legitimate discussions on election security” through “legal threats.”

On Wednesday, Grok parroted unfounded claims of wrongdoing in Maricopa County, Arizona, boosting a claim by an X user that county election workers are “corrupt” because of the speed at which they count ballots.

And in a third election-related “story for you,” Grok this week spread the unsupported claim that a voting machine in Tarrant County, Texas, was “flipping” votes. X’s AI software promoted posts alleging that there were multiple examples, but only one voter came forward and his claim was not verified. Local officials said there was no evidence behind his claim, suggesting that he may have unintentionally pressed the wrong candidate. They say he was able to successfully cast the vote he intended to after he reviewed his ballot.

Grok has also spread smears against Harris, the Democratic nominee for president. It created a “story for you” repeating unfounded allegations by X users that she used cocaine in the White House, and it created a “story for you” repeating allegations by X users that she attended parties hosted by Sean “Diddy” Combs, who’s facing federal sex-abuse charges. Fact-checkers have said a photo of Combs with fashion designer Misa Hylton was altered to add Harris’ face.

Some of the posts aggregated by Grok have millions of views, though it’s not clear if the bulk of the views came before or after Grok included the posts in the trending feature.

The world’s richest person, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Musk has poured nearly $75 million into a super PAC in support of Trump, and he has crisscrossed battleground state Pennsylvania in a drive to register pro-Trump voters and turn them out to the polls, using a $1 million daily giveaway to get people’s attention.

NBC News sought comment from X about its “stories for you” feature. Representatives for X did not respond to a list of emailed questions.

A spokesperson for Dominion Voting Systems had no immediate comment on X’s “stories for you” feature but pointed to a company website that defends the accuracy of the company’s systems.

Representatives for the Harris campaign did not respond to requests for comment.

The feature has been problematic in the past. In July, Grok-written summaries boosted false information about President Joe Biden, helping to spread wild conspiracy theories that Biden had an undisclosed medical emergency, might be dying, had been murdered or would be murdered soon.

It’s a job that used to be done by human curators as recently as two years ago, before Musk bought the app then known as Twitter. In 2015, Twitter’s management rolled out curated trending topics as a way to help users make sense of the flood of information on the app. Twitter employees added verified context from traditional news sources such as The Associated Press and Reuters, in an attempt to elevate the quality of information that was trending.

But Musk, in one of his first acts after buying Twitter, eliminated the jobs of human curators, and now the tech billionaire has delegated the task to his AI software.

Musk is a frequent critic of the traditional news media, including The Associated Press and Reuters, and he has promoted X as the internet’s most trustworthy news source despite the factual errors, conspiracy theories and debunked claims that appear there.

X launched the experiment in AI-written summaries months ago, and although it has received little attention, some users quickly expressed alarm about the Grok-authored text they were seeing in the beta test of the app’s “explore” section. One Reddit user in April compared the trending topic summaries to rolling “brainless AI dice.” And in July, an X user posted a screenshot of “explore beta” with text asserting that Biden would be the next coach of England’s national soccer team.

In recent weeks, dozens of X users have posted about “explore beta,” and the vast majority of the posts have been negative. One user said it was pointless, and another said it was “absolute trash.” But several said they knew of no way to opt out of the beta test.

It’s not clear how many people see the AI-created summaries. Some X users who browse the app’s trending topics see only ranked lists of popular subjects, with no AI-generated text. It’s also not clear if X plans to expand the Grok summaries from a beta test to a standard feature. 

Edited by Chopper
quote text
  • Rage+1 5

Sorry if I cried a little here

God bless that woman.

If anyone wants to know what a real gotdamn patriot looks like…she is EXACTLY what a patriot looks like.
Not sure short-dicked angry white guy in a pickup with truck nuts and a “let’s go Brandon” flag.
It looks like a woman who has fought her whole life to have her voice heard, even paying a racist poll tax to do so. She’s a fucking hero, and every pretend MAGA “patriot” is a fucking pathetic loser in comparison.
Drive safe, take a deep breath of mountain air, then get back to work being the foil to briskets ledge character for 10 more days.

In a way, all of us has an El Guapo to face.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Why? I didn’t get the Allsup hype. It was mediocre. I feel let down by [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention]

Shots fired!! We have Shots Fired!!!

No we don’t. Yet again, Js has an absurdly wrong take. Film at 11:00.

200.gif

See, y’all say you haven’t seen what I wouldn’t bang. Well, now you have.
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If this could be really proven to people (it couldn’t be), I do think that would do more damage to him than a video of him groping a teen. Still wouldn’t end his campaign though. 

What a world. 

My neighbor’s daughter is neighbors with the guy that died. Was him dying part of the staging? Because he is very much dead. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

Just now, aggie08 said:

Can we please not ever post Rebekah Jones tweets? She's every bit as looney are the right Twitter influencers.

Fair enough, I don’t know shit about her. I don’t even believe it was staged, I was more saying that being the story being pushed to media outlets makes more sense to me than the groping thing 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

I’ve never seen a man jinx his own asshole

Oh please, I’ve shit in a hole in the ground outside the Taj Mahal after eating street food in India 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

23 hours ago, Chopper said:

Donald Trump greeted Dave Limp, the CEO of Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin, today in Austin. https://apnews.com/live/2024-election-trump-harris-news-updates#00000192-c592-d7d8-a7be-efbf2ca80000

The mutherfuckin ceo of Bezos' Blue Origin is LIMP.

Just think, the world's two leading "space entrepreneurs' are Elon Musk, a long-known fascist, and Jeff Bezos, who cowardly bent the knee before Donald Trump, the fascist leader of MAGA, America's fascist political party. Musk and Bezos are not space visionaries. One is a fascist and the other a fascist lackey.

These dudes show they don't care about any of the people being targeted or oppressed by MAGA, as long as profits or tax breaks can be had. And their space visions are a far cry from enlightened, just more Manifest Destiny colonization and capitalism.

Of course, SpaceX is now headquartered in Texas and Bezos's Blue Origin has launch facilities in Far West Texas. No surprise, they get huge tax breaks! So Bezos had to bend the knee to Trump to also signal to Abbott and Paxton he will not challenge the MAGA regime.

Five decades after Houston's Mission Control led humanity on perhaps its single greatest achievement, the Apollo moon landings, NASA now awards contracts to SpaceX and Blue Origin led by a fascist and a fascist lackey.

That's right, NASA, the single greatest science organization in the history of the human species is now in bed with fascism. And it is all centered in Texas, now ground zero for what can only be called space fascism. That's just fucked in all dimensions. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You missed a couple of spots.

I’m not convinced GA and AZ are leaning right now. I think they are legit tossups. If I was going to lean GA it’d be blue

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Were sitting here fighting about how urgently the other Presidential candidate needs to appear on the Joe Rogan Podcast a week before election day, and I'm supposed to not take a "kill everyone" Brisket approach to the future of our country?

Not “kill everyone”.

Just people on cruise ships or who take more than one cruise every five years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

No we don’t. Yet again, Js has an absurdly wrong take. Film at 11:00.

I TRIED IT BC OF YOU! I only stopped at one solely bc of how much you talk about them. Maybe it was a bad batch, idk. Ruth the cashier at the Allsups in Bowie was not up to the challenge.  And neither were her sweat pants 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, heso said:

My neighbor’s daughter is neighbors with the guy that died. Was him dying part of the staging? Because he is very much dead. 

You really think trump wouldn’t push something that had a good chance for collateral damage? The issue isn’t the action per se (although that’s debatable), it’s the callous disregard for anyone that isn’t the sundowning fuhrer. 

the fact you have to ask makes me wonder if you’re drunk. But it’s obvious the staging is in reference to actual intent on the shooter and not the repercussions. Me personally I think the republican shooter (his parents were not republicans and that’s enough for me) did it cause he was a nutzo but the bloody ear was from the fall, shrapnel from the teleprompter, or nicking it on the SS agent as he got covered. Any other theory is … to be doubted without evidence IMO

edit: he was still magat supporting a pedo traitor convicted felon, rapist. I don’t wish  anything bad to happen to trumpers but I’m well past the point feeling bad when karma does its duty against America’s enemies. 

Edited by achooloco

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

In my lifetime, I’ve never seen a campaign where a significant number of politicians publicly endorse the candidate for president from the other party.   And I’m supposed to see that and think it’s Harris who is in trouble?

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

This as well.  Open revolt from fairly prominent members of a candidate's party isn't something we have ever seen at these levels.  

The Office Thank You GIF

Even the “Reagan Democrats” didn’t fall into this category generated as much publicity, as most of that was more about a quiet demographic shift from JFK supporters to Reagan.  You also didn’t have prominent Democrats publicly bailing on Carter like we see Republicans bailing on Trump or speaking out against him (especially those who worked in the Trump administration).

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

If this could be really proven to people (it couldn’t be), I do think that would do more damage to him than a video of him groping a teen. Still wouldn’t end his campaign though. 

What a world. 

He was a chickenshit as a young man (if he wanted to disagree about the Vietnam War, he could have went to Canada or joined a march, and instead his daddy paid off a doctor).

He doesn’t have the balls to even think about something like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

If Trump wins he's found a new way to do it by somehow getting the least enthusiastic base I can ever remember in any election in my adult life to get out there and carry him to a win.  

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

….while going to various swing states and shit talking their largest cities.

Bingo.  Driving around rural areas or looking at his crowd sizes is far different in 2024 than it was in 2020.

MAGA is like those fucking Crossfitters or desktop Linux users - they normally won’t shut the fuck up about it, but those who went silent after 2020 didn’t go silent and stop buying flags and stickers because they were afraid or embarrassed, they did it because they wanted nothing to do with him. I’m sure some/many will still vote against Harris, but if they aren’t enthusiastic, they are liable to sit it out.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bingo.  Driving around rural areas or looking at his crowd sizes is far different in 2024 than it was in 2020.

2 billboards from Houston to Dallas (electronic ones, so they change often) and one said VOTE EARLY, VOTE TRUMP. 1 Trump sign from Dallas to Vernon and 1 Cruz sign from Vernon to Amarillo on a fence post with a bunch of Trump signs and a flag. That was it. 

I figured driving on 287 would be nonstop GOP crap.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

2 billboards from Houston to Dallas (electronic ones, so they change often) and one said VOTE EARLY, VOTE TRUMP. 1 Trump sign from Dallas to Vernon and 1 Cruz sign from Vernon to Amarillo on a fence post with a bunch of Trump signs and a flag. That was it. 

I figured driving on 287 would be nonstop GOP crap.  

More Allsups than signs?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, SizzleChest said:

More Allsups than signs?

Actually yeah lol. And only saw 1 Trump sticker on a car. But I was smart enough to take off my Harris/Walz magnet before the drive 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is stupid for several reasons,  but the number one reason is it’s based on a premise that if Cheney is working on republicans, somehow it means Harris can’t be doing other things at the same time, like you can only do one. 

ARE MY EFFORTS TO READ ON MY PHONE WHIKE I TAKE A SHIT A BOLD GAMBIT, OR HAIL MARY!?!?

Yeah, and it's pretty standard approach to try to get some cross-aisle endorsements.  It's not some clever gambit or desperate hail mary that Trump is touting support from Tulsi Gabbard.  The only difference is that Harris is being more successful at it.  

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

He is weaving in one of the stories he's been telling for a while long time.  Oprah had him on her last show ever (a Friday) and the ratings were the best ever.  Or maybe it wasn't the last day, but one of the late days (Thr) in that last week.   In reality, it was midseason and the ratings were typical of an Oprah show.  

The funniest thing about the story is that he thinks that great ratings on Oprah last's show would have been because of him, and not Oprah.  What a fucking nutcase. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

You people have my head spinning. The level of confidence here on a Harris win is very exciting given the public media stories and polls. 

But, I recall eight years ago and this group was also highly confident. So, do we have that situation again?

I can’t remember the general tone four years ago, but I think there was a genuine lack of clarity one way or the other? Can’t remember. 

There were a lot of red flags in 2016 that are not present now, and in 2016, there were multiple Dem analysts saying to pump the brakes and that Trump had a solid chance, even before Comey.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Js1 said:

. Ruth the cashier at the Allsups in Bowie

There’s your problem. 

Nothing, and I mean nothing, good comes out of Bowie and Montague County. Not a damn fucking thing. 

Allsups is only good once you’re beyond Childress

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

There were a lot of red flags in 2016 that are not present now, and in 2016, there were multiple Dem analysts saying to pump the brakes and that Trump had a solid chance, even before Comey.

Michael Moore also told us that Trump would win. He thinks Harris will win

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Res ipsa loquitur

Looks packed.  Forsyth County is about 30 miles due north of the perimeter of Atlanta, very much part of Metro Atlanta, and very much Republican.  

I've taken dumps with more heat than this.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I TRIED IT BC OF YOU! I only stopped at one solely bc of how much you talk about them. Maybe it was a bad batch, idk. Ruth the cashier at the Allsups in Bowie was not up to the challenge.  And neither were her sweat pants 

Brisket is cajun and mexican, which means he eats every bit of the animal, including the penis, balls and the butthole. If you are disappointed in one of his food recommendations that is on you. :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4