2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Jesus Christ--is this what a Yale education gets you these days?

London hasn't felt like an English city in 300 years.  It's an Imperial capital.  It feels like an Imperial capital.  It has felt like an Imperial capital for three centuries.  When you land at Heathrow, you land alongside flights from the Subcontinent, from the Caribbean, and from the Antipodes.  Then when you take the Elizabeth Line in, you're going to be next to people from right across the old Empire.  And when you get into town, you'll get some kick-ass Chinese, Jamaican, and Pakistani food--all because many of those families came to London when London was still their capital, too.

For its part, New York isn't "American."  It was a Dutch colony.  Actually, it was an enterprise of the Dutch East India Company.  And the Company didn't give a fuck whether you came from the Netherlands or England or Italy.  The Company didn't care whether you were Protestant or Catholic or Jewish or Muslim or nothing in particular.  The Company cared that you would be economically beneficial for New Netherlands.  These weren't religious zealots like you had up in Boston.  New York has always been multicultural from the moment it was founded--intentionally so.

Do they seriously not teach this shit at Yale anymore?

They did care about the English not getting in, so they built a wall next to a street. 

37 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Most comedians who use edgy humor have major disdain for cancel culture, and cancel culture is associated with the left/democrats.  So some of these dudes think backing Trump is their only play.  It’s really stupid, but understandable.

Whenever a comedian begins their set with a tight 20 minutes on cancel culture (and a whole lot so), I always want to ask, "Who has gotten cancelled?"

The Seinfeld dude? CK didn't get "cancelled" for his material; he got cancelled for making people watch his fat ass jerk it. Netflix is paying Chappelle 9 digits to be piss off the trans community.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

London hasn't felt like an English city in 300 years.  It's an Imperial capital.  It feels like an Imperial capital.  It has felt like an Imperial capital for three centuries.  When you land at Heathrow, you land alongside flights from the Subcontinent, from the Caribbean, and from the Antipodes.  Then when you take the Elizabeth Line in, you're going to be next to people from right across the old Empire.  And when you get into town, you'll get some kick-ass Chinese, Jamaican, and Pakistani food--all because many of those families came to London when London was still their capital, too.

For its part, New York isn't "American."  It was a Dutch colony.  Actually, it was an enterprise of the Dutch East India Company.  And the Company didn't give a fuck whether you came from the Netherlands or England or Italy.  The Company didn't care whether you were Protestant or Catholic or Jewish or Muslim or nothing in particular.  The Company cared that you would be economically beneficial for New Netherlands.  These weren't religious zealots like you had up in Boston.  New York has always been multicultural from the moment it was founded--intentionally so.

I spent a lot of summers in NW London at my English/Irish grandparents' house as a kid. The neighborhood was filled with Pakistanis. I'd play cricket with a tennis ball with the neighborhood kids on the street until the sun went down at 10pm. This was almost 40 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Whenever a comedian begins their set with a tight 20 minutes on cancel culture (and a whole lot so), I always want to ask, "Who has gotten cancelled?"

The Seinfeld dude? CK didn't get "cancelled" for his material; he got cancelled for making people watch his fat ass jerk it. Netflix is paying Chappelle 9 digits to be piss off the trans community.

Shane Gillis is the clearest example I can think of, getting fired from SNL for a joke he made on a podcast years ago.  But that seems to have worked out pretty good for him in the end.

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Re Rick Scott - there's a million Puerto Rican voters in FL and he's up for reelection. 

And now it's a wedge issue - splitting those who rail against the PC/woke world and those who believe you shouldn't call you constituents "garbage."  The campaign is such a dumpster fire, they October-surprise themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

45 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

9 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

The Ivy League grad as "elite thinkers" is the perhaps most overrated bullshit in the history of America. And they have fooled America for centuries. 

Political leaders from the Ivy League have done more political and international damage to America than leaders from all other universities combined. All because they think they "know better" than the rest of us.

I spent some time in Corporate America (three decades ago) and had to work with some with many Ivy Leaguers. They were fucking elitist privileged Frat/Sorority types who had zero business or creative sense and had their position on because of the degree. Just corporate drones. Yet thought they were capitalist geniuses!  

To say they smugly and arrogantly looked down on UT grads (or anyone from a state university) might be an understatement. 

Fuck that and fuck the Ivy League. 

Sure, but Vance went to Ohio State for undergrad, so not sure we can lay all the blame on those mean old east coast elites 

• Hook 'Em 1

They just don't get the joke.

I mean I don't really get it either, but maybe you had to be there.

But I think Trump already called the whole United States garbage so maybe Tony was just trying to say how American Puerto Rico is.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

The Ivy League grad as "elite thinkers" is the perhaps most overrated bullshit in the history of America. And they have fooled America for centuries. 

Political leaders from the Ivy League have done more political and international damage to America than leaders from all other universities combined. All because they think they "know better" than the rest of us.

I spent some time in Corporate America (three decades ago) and had to work with some with many Ivy Leaguers. They were fucking elitist privileged Frat/Sorority types who had zero business or creative sense and had their position on because of the degree. Just corporate drones. Yet thought they were capitalist geniuses!  

To say they smugly and arrogantly looked down on UT grads (or anyone from a state university) might be an understatement. 

To be fair, Vance did his undergrad at tOSU.  HIstory is a minor component of a law school education.  The most history I caught was in Property because the prof was a complete feudal England wonk.

Edited by TwiceHorn

19 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

The most traditional way to obtain Ivy League admission is to outperform at Andover or Choate or similar.  Once admitted to an Ivy, the grade inflation takes care of itself as well as the grad school admission of choice, typically.  Nothing there guarantees intelligence or the actual receipt of education, although the eastern boarding school is probably well-above-average.

Those who go to Ivy graduate schools from the hinterlands are, at the very least, academic savants and probably hard workers.  Doesn't guarantee they have a very good education or are even very intelligent.

I don't think Ivies offer much actual educational advantage over a decent or top tier state university, or a variety of smaller, quality private schools.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Political leaders and judges from the Ivy League have done more political and international damage to America than leaders from all other universities combined. All because they think they "know better ... are smarter (etc.)" than the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bwahaha! It's your party Mark.

I obviously did not watch any of his set, but I'm gonna call bullshit on "I made fun of everyone". Unless he means it like "Everyone, from brown people, to black people, to trans people, to brown people. Everyone." 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bwahaha! It's your party Mark.

so tony, you say it's "wild" that a vp candidate would take time to analyze a joke, which implies he's got more important things to do. but then you put "busy schedule" in quotations, which implies that he actually isn't that busy, so hey fuckball, which is it?

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I obviously did not watch any of his set, but I'm gonna call bullshit on "I made fun of everyone". Unless he means it like "Everyone, from brown people, to black people, to trans people, to brown people. Everyone." 

Don’t forget the Yellows (I’m Asian so I can say it).

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The most traditional way to obtain Ivy League admission is to outperform at Andover or Choate or similar.  Once admitted to an Ivy, the grade inflation takes care of itself as well as the grad school admission of choice, typically.  Nothing there guarantees intelligence or the actual receipt of education, although the eastern boarding school is probably well-above-average.

Those who go to Ivy graduate schools from the hinterlands are, at the very least, academic savants and probably hard workers.  Doesn't guarantee they have a very good education or are even very intelligent.

I don't think Ivies offer much actual educational advantage over a decent or top tier state university, or a variety of smaller, quality private schools.

An e level exec at GTE told me ….  If you want to learn something go to a good state school.  If you want rolladex go ivy.   He was dead serious and to this day I wish I had paid more attention to what he had to say.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Did this guy speak?

image.png.2fcb8f30e044fab18d8b1dab444f53ad.png

I read this guy did speak. His story reeks heavily of being a con artist. Yelled at Trump at a rally that Fred Trump supposedly did something nice for him years ago and then was able to tell him some bullshit about his "mother's dying wish was for him to shake DJT's hand. The type of a fake story that a gullible narcissist would gobble up, and he did. https://www.thehandbasket.co/p/trump-childhood-friend-david-rem-msg-rally The dude announced on stage tonight that he's running for Mayor. lulz

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Trump: "When I say we need to arrest the 'enemy within', I'm speaking of democrats. American citizens. Not illegal immigrants. Here, let me give you examples of the enemy within. The people I am going to have arrested. Nancy Pelosi, and Adam Schiff. These are the people I'm talking about."

Johnson/Vance: "He's clearly talking about illegal immigrants." 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

That’s been Trump and his supporters for 9 years. He says something, his supporters say that’s not what he meant and then says that is what he meant. It always works because the media doesn’t hold him accountable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1