2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A Whitmer/Booker ticket would win in a landslide.

Then you'd have Harris who a month ago was the VP on the ticket and now would be a sitting VP who would leave in Jan regardless of what happened.

Harris would likely be offered AG in exchange for support.

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Harris is at 50c on predictit now. Biden is at 30.

For those of you still convinced, here’s your opportunity to make a bunch of money. I personally think Biden will announce he’s not running sometime next week. The question is will he resign.

Of course he’ll resign. I definitely think people have spoken with him and put pressure on him, but he’d do it willingly and there’s no shame in it. 

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I barely know who those people are and I follow this shit at an unhealthy level.

Do you know they are Democrats not named Biden?

In this election that may be enough.

4 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Biden Told Ally That He Is Weighing Whether to Continue in the Race
The president’s conversation is the first indication that he is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday.

President Biden has told a key ally that he knows he may not be able to salvage his candidacy if he cannot convince the public in the coming days that he is up for the job after a disastrous debate performance last week.

The president, who the ally emphasized is still deeply in the fight for re-election, understands that his next few appearances heading into the holiday weekend — including an interview scheduled for Friday with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News and campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — must go well.

“He knows if he has two more events like that, we’re in a different place” by the end of the weekend, said the ally, referring to Mr. Biden’s halting and unfocused performance in the debate. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive situation.

The conversation is the first indication to become public that the president is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday. Concerns are mounting about his viability as a candidate and whether he could serve as president for another four years.

A top adviser to Mr. Biden, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the situation, said the president was “well aware of the political challenge he faces.”

White House officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Campaign officials were nervously watching polls, recognizing that bad numbers could fuel the crisis. A CBS News poll on Wednesday showed former President Donald J. Trump edging ahead of Mr. Biden since the debate with 50 percent to 48 percent nationally and 51 percent to 48 percent in battleground states.

Mr. Biden is slowly reaching out to Democratic elected officials and has a meeting with Democratic governors at the White House scheduled for Wednesday evening. He is also continuing to reach out to people he has long trusted and has told at least one person that he is open to the possibility that his plans to move on from his debate performance — and flip the focus back to his challenger, Mr. Trump — may not work.

Several allies of Mr. Biden, who has huddled with the family and advisers since the debate on Thursday, have underscored that the president is still in the fight of his political life and largely sees this moment as a chance to come back from being counted out, as he has done many times throughout his half-century career.

But he is also cleareyed, they said, about his uphill battle to convince voters, donors and the political class that his debate performance was an anomaly.

If Biden stays the nominee, he's going to have a magnifying glass on him to catch anything he does that might be attributable to age/dementia/cognitive decline. He's got to be perfect at impersonating a 60 year old man the rest of the way.  Given what I saw in the debate, he can't do that, and when he inevitably fails, the reaction will be worse than what you see now and any preceding moments of energetic lucidity won't matter.  There is blood in the water, and the sharks have taken notice.

What I hope happens: He bows out with some dignity intact, Kamala is the nominee, she channels Obama as a candidate and people have a different choice than criminal vs AZ patient.  Independent voters are begging for a different choice and they will respond favorably.  Her race and gender will work against her only with people that were already going to vote Trump.  For everyone not a zealot for either party, they just want to see a viable candidate to vote for.  They dislike and vaguely fear Trump and want to vote for another option that is fit to be President -- except there isn't one.  Not after Biden's debate performance.

If we want to avoid what is coming with a 2nd Trump Presidency this is the only shot.  Make Kamala the nominee and immediately challenge Trump to a new debate.  When he refuses, make it known far and wide that Donald Trump is a chickenshit criminal who is terrified of debating a black woman.  "Black Woman" is only a negative to racists and misogynists.  Use what they despise as a strength and expose Trump as the candidate for racism and misogyny.  That certainly won't win him any new votes.

Dems will win in a landslide.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

Do you know they are Democrats not named Biden?

In this election that may be enough.

I guarantee my "centrist" buddy who has been blaming Dems for the past 3 years about running Biden will find fault in whoever replaces him.  It's insanity.  People are so afraid of the dotard that they go against anyone the Dems will nominate so they can have an out if dotard wins.  "Well I knew all along they picked the wrong person!!!11!!"

2 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Of course he’ll resign. I definitely think people have spoken with him and put pressure on him, but he’d do it willingly and there’s no shame in it. 

Man, this would really fuck up all the Trump 47 tshirts, hats, gold shoes and other bull shit that’s already printed 

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

"Black Woman" is only a negative to racists and misogynists.

Do you have any idea how many of these there are in this country? And not all of them are Trumpaloos.

I'd support her and will vote for her as many times as possible, but I don't get all warm and fuzzy thinking this is the silver bullet that you do.

FWIW, if Biden decides to step aside I think Kamala is the only other viable option. Any other candidate will have to pay for their campaign with fairy dust and unicorn farts.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I guarantee my "centrist" buddy who has been blaming Dems for the past 3 years about running Biden will find fault in whoever replaces him.  It's insanity.  People are so afraid of the dotard that they go against anyone the Dems will nominate so they can have an out if dotard wins.  "Well I knew all along they picked the wrong person!!!11!!"

I'm a centrist independent and I would vote for Whitmer in a heartbeat.

What she's done in Michigan has been impressive considering it's a purple state and the Dems only have a 2-seat majority in congress.

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the way for Joe to salvage this is to say he is stepping down as President after the election but that before he felt it was his duty to continue as president because the threat of a Donald Trump presidency was too great. He will not accept the nomination and that everyone should place their support and delegates behind Kamala. Then he says if you support me, you should now support Kamala. If you fear what the country will turn into under Donald Trump, you must support Kamala. And then you list every single reason Donald Trump will be a disaster for this country. Line by line. Bring up Project 2025. Bring up abortion and female medical care. Bring up what the Supreme Court just did for him. Use the bully pulpit, one final time. That will get played over and over for everyone to see. 

I don't think him straight up resigning is needed because that enables Kamala to go into full blown catch up mode. Trump has to debate her because she is now the Democratic candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Harris is at 50c on predictit now. Biden is at 30.

For those of you still convinced, here’s your opportunity to make a bunch of money. I personally think Biden will announce he’s not running sometime next week. The question is will he resign.

If he's not running, it means he knows he's lost the confidence of the people, and that they're right to have lost it. If he's not running, he should resign.

On top of that, all the media will talk about for a couple weeks will be Kamala. She will have the stage almost entirely to herself, even putting Trump on the sidelines for a bit (unless that two weeks includes his sentencing, I forgot that date right now).

If he's not running, it's the best shot at averting this catasrophe. 

If he doesn't resign, the convention will be a shitshow. Think 1968, but in the building, not out front. And the result in November will be the same.

4 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Any other candidate will have to pay for their campaign with fairy dust and unicorn farts.

Well, the PAC Future Forward has said they plan to spend $250m on the Dem nominee between the convention and the election.  That's a lot of unicorn farts, and it's just one PAC.

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

If he's not running, it means he knows he's lost the confidence of the people, and that they're right to have lost it. If he's not running, he should resign.

On top of that, all the media will talk about for a couple weeks will be Kamala. She will have the stage almost entirely to herself, even putting Trump on the sidelines for a bit (unless that two weeks includes his sentencing, I forgot that date right now).

If he doesn't resign, the convention will be a shitshow. Think 1968, but in the building, not out front. And the result in November will be the same.

It's going to be a disaster outside the convention too with the antizionism/pro palestine team.  Total wheels off shitshow

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

A Whitmer/Booker ticket would win in a landslide.

Then you'd have Harris who a month ago was the VP on the ticket and now would be a sitting VP who would leave in Jan regardless of what happened.

No democratic ticket will ever win a landslide in this country. We're all just speculating at this point. I think if you replace Biden you lose some support and gain some support, and I truly think the lost support will be bigger than what might be gained. Appealing to the "youths" is not a winning strategy, period. They're supposed to save us every 4 years and it never pans out, especially now since a huge block of young political interested liberals are hung up on Gaza thinking that Biden can stop what's happening there, when the reality is he's gone about as far as he can without losing a huge block of support from older Democrats, you know, the ones who actually vote. I mean, the fact that Rex "I Swear I'm Not MAGA (wink)" Kramer is pressing for Kamala tells you all you need to know, there is just too much racism and misogeny in this country, it's a losing proposition. Again, that's my very strong opinion, but nobody knows for sure what would happen.

Edited by 'stache

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Biden has to be out and about looking like the guy at Waffle House not the guy at the debate

He has been ever since, and yet here we are, still talking solely about the debate. I just don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

No matter who takes over the dem nomination, one focus needs to be on Trump's cognitive decline.

Who am I kidding. The liberal media will then decide that it's ageism to highlight that.

Edited by CooterBrown

This will all be so fascinating to watch, and would be absurdly entertaining if it wasn’t so important.

We could have a new president in a few days. Crazy.

Pretty fucking crazy, 56 years since the last "open/brokered" convention for the DNC was held in Chicago...we may have be having the same thing again.  In a venue, just 6 miles from the old International Amphitheater.  And there's gonna be anti-war protestors this time around just the same.  I'll be at Lulu's having an Italian Beef while the riots ensue.  

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Who ever takes over the dem nomination, one focus needs to be on Trump's cognitive decline.

Thank you.  Why he gets a total pass on this is a mystery to me.

If Biden steps down, the media should immediately ask the Republicans if they feel Trump should step down for the same reasons.  We all know they won't, though.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He has been ever since, and yet here we are, still talking solely about the debate. I just don't get it.

It was the worst debate performance there has ever been. I couldn't have even imagined worse. I guess maybe it could have been worse if he would have fallen asleep and a moderator had to walk up and nudge him to get him to answer a question or something.

Just now, CooterBrown said:

No matter who takes over the dem nomination, one focus needs to be on Trump's cognitive decline.

Who am I kidding. The liberal media will then decide that it's ageism to highlight that.

Good luck. The NY Times and friends don't seem to give a shit nor does magastan obviously. It's on display literally every single fucking day. He rants about how democrats are gonna take your water away and kill you with boat batteries. Biden talks about ongoing wars and the economy and his administrations accomplishments.

Headline "Biden Mental Accuity In Question." Nothing about what either actually said or have accomplished. Our country has lost any semblance of rationality.

• Rage+1 1

Just now, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It was the worst debate performance there has ever been. I couldn't have even imagined worse. I guess maybe it could have been worse if he would have fallen asleep and a moderator had to walk up and nudge him to get him to answer a question or something.

So we're still ignoring the words that actually came out of their mouths, cool, cool. The worst debate performance of all time was Trump 2020 when he literally wouldn't shut the fuck up and rambled about nonsense, including the size of his own fucking dick. Anyone remember that? Of course not, because bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, 'stache said:

No democratic ticket will ever win a landslide in this country. We're all just speculating at this point. I think if you replace Biden you lose some support and gain some support, and I truly think the lost support will be bigger than what might be gained. Appealing to the "youths" is not a winning strategy, period. They're supposed to save us every 4 years and it never pans out, especially now since a huge block of young political interested liberals are hung up on Gaza thinking that Biden can stop what's happening there, when the reality is he's gone about as far as he can without losing a huge block of support from older Democrats, you know, the ones who actually vote. I mean, the fact that Rex "I Swear I'm Not MAGA" Kramer is pressing for Kamala tells you all you need to know, there is just too much racism and misogeny in this country, it's a losing proposition. Again, that's my very strong opinion, but nobody knows for sure what would happen.

You lose support but you have time to gain it back. You can pivot from Joe Biden is a feeble old man to Trump is a threat. You hit him over and over and over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

Do you have any idea how many of these there are in this country? And not all of them are Trumpaloos.

I'd support her and will vote for her as many times as possible, but I don't get all warm and fuzzy thinking this is the silver bullet that you do.

FWIW, if Biden decides to step aside I think Kamala is the only other viable option. Any other candidate will have to pay for their campaign with fairy dust and unicorn farts.

Sure, but of the people I know that are centrists and independents (and that's most people I know), I think all of them would vote for Kamala over Trump.  If it's Trump vs Biden, I think most of them stay home.

I mean, there are no great options at this point.  Nothing ideal.  Biden suddenly and alarmingly being unfit to continue to be candidate is something that should have been game planned for years ago.  It wasn't (fuck you Dems).  So, given that, what's the most likely to succeed of the Dem's shitty options?  It isn't this:

TELEMMGLPICT000383658240_17195551268580_

As for the coffers of fairy dust and unicorn farts, yeah, that's why I am picking Kamala as the least shitty alternative to the shittiest option of staying the course.  Has it been discussed whether she could stay VP and someone else take over as the Presidential nominee without all the fundraising issues of a completely new ticket?  Also, why can't Biden now just issue an executive order declaring any laws that make swapping candidates financially problematic null and void? 😜 

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

So we're still ignoring the words that actually came out of their mouths, cool, cool. The worst debate performance of all time was Trump 2020 when he literally wouldn't shut the fuck up and rambled about nonsense, including the size of his own fucking dick. Anyone remember that? Of course not, because bullshit.

Lest we forget Trump losing the 2016 debates against HRC pretty badly. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ohpkx10sd2ngfupff1

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My quarterback just threw 3 TDs in the Pro Bowl, and yet here we are still talking about the 5 picks he threw in the Super Bowl. I just don't get it.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

But but but he lost the debate so badly, he lost 10 points of support

🙄

Just like presidential approvals, we are too fucking polarized. There may never be a “layup” again until we get out of this mindset. This country is broken and divided right in half 

I don't see that. You give me a Democratic candidate that people are excited about and this election is a layup.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

No democratic ticket will ever win a landslide in this country. We're all just speculating at this point. I think if you replace Biden you lose some support and gain some support, and I truly think the lost support will be bigger than what might be gained. Appealing to the "youths" is not a winning strategy, period. They're supposed to save us every 4 years and it never pans out, especially now since a huge block of young political interested liberals are hung up on Gaza thinking that Biden can stop what's happening there, when the reality is he's gone about as far as he can without losing a huge block of support from older Democrats, you know, the ones who actually vote. I mean, the fact that Rex "I Swear I'm Not MAGA (wink)" Kramer is pressing for Kamala tells you all you need to know, there is just too much racism and misogeny in this country, it's a losing proposition. Again, that's my very strong opinion, but nobody knows for sure what would happen.

Dude you’ve been a moron this whole thread. I’m not MAGA, and I don’t know why you think that or that I’m trolling. Haven’t voted and won’t vote for him. He’s a dangerous person. Kamala is a weak-ish candidate. She’s significantly stronger than Biden now and gives Dems a puncher’s chance. She’s not as differentiated from Biden as someone else who’d be a far better candidate (Whitmer), but I’m not sure how Whitmer financially can run. Kamala probably best choice. And I mean that. 

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The words that actually came out of his mouth responded to a layup question about abortion by talking about a woman who got killed by an illegal immigrant. And he also mentioned something about beating medicare at the end of a rambling statement without a coherent subject...

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You know who the nominee will be if it isn't Joe Biden, right?

I think you severely underestimate the number of people who would vote for someone capable of putting together consecutive coherent sentences at this point, almost no questions asked.

I know polling sucks, but that CNN poll where independents favor Trump over Biden post debate, but favor Harris over Trump by almost 10 points is something else.

• Hook 'Em 4

Is there any reason the Biden/Harris campaign couldn't spend its money in support of another replacement candidate (other than Harris)? Is the argument that it just wouldn't do that or that it couldn't? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Her ego won't let that stand in her way.

If Biden steps aside, and she's not the nomination, she'll go scorched earth out of spite.

I can't think of one thing she's ever said that would lead to that conclusion.

What's making you think that?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

If Biden stays the nominee, he's going to have a magnifying glass on him to catch anything he does that might be attributable to age/dementia/cognitive decline. He's got to be perfect at impersonating a 60 year old man the rest of the way.  Given what I saw in the debate, he can't do that, and when he inevitably fails, the reaction will be worse than what you see now and any preceding moments of energetic lucidity won't matter.  There is blood in the water, and the sharks have taken notice.

What I hope happens: He bows out with some dignity intact, Kamala is the nominee, she channels Obama as a candidate and people have a different choice than criminal vs AZ patient.  Independent voters are begging for a different choice and they will respond favorably.  Her race and gender will work against her only with people that were already going to vote Trump.  For everyone not a zealot for either party, they just want to see a viable candidate to vote for.  They dislike and vaguely fear Trump and want to vote for another option that is fit to be President -- except there isn't one.  Not after Biden's debate performance.

If we want to avoid what is coming with a 2nd Trump Presidency this is the only shot.  Make Kamala the nominee and immediately challenge Trump to a new debate.  When he refuses, make it known far and wide that Donald Trump is a chickenshit criminal who is terrified of debating a black woman.  "Black Woman" is only a negative to racists and misogynists.  Use what they despise as a strength and expose Trump as the candidate for racism and misogyny.  That certainly won't win him any new votes.

Dems will win in a landslide.

My current best-case: Biden handles the ABC interview fine but acknowledges he’s lost a step, greasing the skids for an honorable departure that doesn’t require him to leave office.  Harris enthusiastically endorses Whitmer and stays on the ticket as VP.  Whitmer attacks Trump relentlessly and destroys him in the Sept debate, Dems recapture all the momentum and win in a landslide.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

My current best-case: Biden handles the ABC interview fine but acknowledges he’s lost a step, greasing the skids for an honorable departure that doesn’t require him to leave office.  Harris enthusiastically endorses Whitmer and stays on the ticket as VP.  Whitmer attacks Trump relentlessly and destroys him in the Sept debate, Dems recapture all the momentum and win in a landslide.

Please pass after you puff puff. That is internet fanfic at its finest

• Haha 1