2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

The VP for Harris can’t be a no name. That creates too much to overcome. I also believe it can’t be Newsome. Too California. Kelly is a maybe, but between Whitmer and Kelly Whitmer brings the Midwest and creates the “woman power” message to energize women everywhere. It needs to be Whitmer. I think a white male would be a mistake. Lean into the woman power messaging. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's what every candidate does. When was the last time you heard "Well, I'm thinking about dropping out. In fact I probably will, pretty soon. Just need to get my ducks in a row, you know? I'll get back to you." 

Sure, not the point I was making. Just that I'm hoping it turns out the same way. 

1 hour ago, Rex Kramer said:

- No name recognition and attachment to Dem establishment is a plus. 
- She governs a purple battleground state and will carry it easily.
- Kidnapping attempt by Maga is huge. 
- She is tough and smart. 

How many times do you have to be told these things?  Outside of an unwilling Obama, in a vacuum she is by far the best candidate. 

The kidnapping story is fucking insane and 99% of people don't know about it.  They would if she's the nominee, though, and it reminds people about how crazy the MAGA crowd is.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Harris is even dumber than current state Biden and even at his zenith of health he was never very smart.

I think this post makes you an authority on dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Harris has to be top of ticket.

R votes R, D votes D, and the folks in the middle who apparently don't understand they are voting on their basic right to vote just want an alternative between a fossil and a criminal.

Kamala gets the war chest, steps into the candidacy easily and carries the black and women votes. Prefer Whitmer but Harris has the money this late in the race.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Irrefutable Fact #1. Harris is the only one with access to the money. That means she has to be on the ticket.

Once you accept that, you move on to

Irrefutable Fact #2. Harris has a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else. I'm not saying she is the best candidate, but I am saying that being VP is the strongest possible resume for being president.

Irrefutable Fact #3. There is no satisfying explanation for putting anyone besides Harris at the top of the ticket. By "satisfying explanation" I mean a narrative that black voters and especially black women will believe. Even if it's 100% true.

Conclusion: Harris absolutely must be at the top of the ticket.

It's beyond debate.

Fuck it.  I’m in.  Let’s ride…

edit: badly wanted to troll with ‘what about Michelle?!?!’

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Reagan’s decline wasn’t just old age sundowning mental decline. He had help from dementia/alsheimers. 

For Jackson and Buchanan, what was the average male lifespan at that time and how close were they to it compared to Biden today?  I guess I should also ask if mental acuity has improved over the years as we’ve lived longer, or it’s just that now we have health care to outlive our brains. 

Yes, Reagan did have legit dementia in the last ~18 months of his term as I stated above when Nancy confided the same to several in her inner circle.

There's no hard and fast rule.  We all know a 90 year old who is still sharp as hell and very little trouble with either long-term or short-term memory.  And we all know a 60-year old who remembers what they gave you Christmas in 1984 and has no fucking idea what state in which state they are currently residing.  Before he died, in his 60's, my father's cognitive reasoning and knowledgeable recall actually got stronger (and he was one of the sharpest people I've ever known).  In her 60's, my mother spent a significant amount of time trying to tell me I was born on May 23rd, not May 27th despite her reading my driver's license and birth certificate as she mumbled "Oh, these governments don't know better than a mother."  

As for our older presidents in the 1800's and even up until FDR.  Yes, the mental health care/diagnostics was for shit.  But remember, just because the lifespan was much lower, it was due in large part to infant mortality skewing the results and so many kids dying from shit we easily vaccinate our way out of these days.  If you were a male living until 40, you had an extremely high chance of making it to 50, also to 60, and then fading at 70/80.  Biden is in good shape physically, I think he can make it to 90 with no problems.  But I guess to sum up a long Lobo rant, I've known lots of lazy 50 year olds who go downhill pretty fast.  I've known lots of 90 year olds who still push themselves to learn and move.  But I ain't never known an 80 year old who works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week-so what the fuck do we know?  

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, Reagan did have legit dementia in the last ~18 months of his term as I stated above when Nancy confided the same to several in her inner circle.

There's no hard and fast rule.  We all know a 90 year old who is still sharp as hell and very little trouble with either long-term or short-term memory.  And we all know a 60-year old who remembers what they gave you Christmas in 1984 and has no fucking idea what state in which state they are currently residing.  Before he died, in his 60's, my father's cognitive reasoning and knowledgeable recall actually got stronger (and he was one of the sharpest people I've ever known).  In her 60's, my mother spent a significant amount of time trying to tell me I was born on May 23rd, not May 27th despite her reading my driver's license and birth certificate as she mumbled "Oh, these governments don't know better than a mother."  

As for our older presidents in the 1800's and even up until FDR.  Yes, the mental health care/diagnostics was for shit.  But remember, just because the lifespan was much lower, it was due in large part to infant mortality skewing the results and so many kids dying from shit we easily vaccinate our way out of these days.  If you were a male living until 40, you had an extremely high chance of making it to 50, also to 60, and then fading at 70/80.  Biden is in good shape physically, I think he can make it to 90 with no problems.  But I guess to sum up a long Lobo rant, I've known lots of lazy 50 year olds who go downhill pretty fast.  I've known lots of 90 year olds who still push themselves to learn and move.  But I ain't never known an 80 year old who works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week-so what the fuck do we know?  

I got dementia reading this post.  I think.  

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

She’s the 5* QB recruit who dazzled in high school but hasn’t taken a meaningful snap since arriving on campus. The starter is struggling and nobody wants the backup. The backup couldn’t win the starting job so they’re not good enough. We want the prize recruit! They’ll save us!

No. She’s a lightly recruited high school champion who rewrote the record book at Purdue, but Mel Kiper doesn't love her because she’s on the short side and doesn't project as a pro-style QB. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

We're all about the same here, which means we're all dealing or have dealt with older relatives.  We all know they never get better.  The only plateau and then decline again.  We know that Biden is a confused old man who has gotten worse since 2020 and 2022 and we also know that Trump is 2-3 years away from having full on dementia.  

Not everyone ages like Rita Moreno or Warren Buffett.  They are the exceptions.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

No. She’s a lightly recruited high school champion who rewrote the record book at Purdue, but Mel Kiper doesn't love her because she’s on the short side and doesn't project as a pro-style QB. 

Or she’s the rifle armed qb with a bad mullet, mustache and attitude.   Of course her potential opponent is Tanya harding

Edited by closetohumping
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Baker Mayfield redux?

15 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Putting in Kamala now is analogous to emptying the bench late in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss in basketball. She is the Boban Marjanovic of politics if you will. 

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Putting in Kamala now is analogous to emptying the bench late in the 4th quarter of a blowout loss in basketball. She is the Boban Marjanovic of politics if you will. 

The sports analogy is she's an assistant coach and always will be.  Sure, someone might hire her as a HC but they'll be reminded why she's an assistant.

Sundowning can happen at any stage of dementia but is more common during the middle stage and later stages.

☠️☠️☠️

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The sports analogy is she's an assistant coach and always will be.  Sure, someone might hire her as a HC but they'll be reminded why she's an assistant.

So, Charlie Strong.  Got it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sundowning can happen at any stage of dementia but is more common during the middle stage and later stages.

☠️☠️☠️

So, Charlie Strong.  Got it.  

To me Charlie strong would be someone who is a good governor and bad president

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

She'd make a good ambassador, maybe a cabinet member 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Dems need a nominee who can articulate exactly how bad it can be. Biden is not doing that at all.

Exactly.  Biden had a golden opportunity to make a case against Trump 2.0 with undecided voters and instead he made Trump's case that Biden isn't mentally competent at this point.

One thing that a Biden withdrawal would bring is an opportunity for him and his successor to speak to a large captive audience when announcing it.  More people, and especially undecided voters, will tune it to see it live than tuned in for the debate.  Both Biden and Kamala or whoever takes over should hammer the messaging you suggest home for that captive audience.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

She'd make a good ambassador, maybe a cabinet member 

She ran for president and her campaign was a complete wreck and she finished 6th or something.  The Biden people actively don't like her in the WH.  It's not like she's a new recruit.  We've seen how she plays.

The common theme on the POD episode from yesterday and the one with Heilmann/Axelrod is that what Biden needed to do most was to get out there immediately. Do question and answer sessions, give interviews, etc. Flip the script ASAP. And he's not doing that. Why? Well, yeah, about that....

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Putting in Kamala means the Heritage Foundation hires someone to [redacted] so Mike Johnson becomes acting president.

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The common theme on the POD episode from yesterday and the one with Heilmann/Axelrod is that what Biden needed to do most was to get out there immediately. Do question and answer sessions, give interviews, etc. Flip the script ASAP. And he's not doing that. Why? Well, yeah, about that....

Yep - That’s the only way to potentially overcome that debate performance. He needs to be in the public showing that was just a weird blip. The fact that he’s not doing that tells us everything. He’s not capable without the teleprompter. The people on his team know his capabilities.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Exactly.  Biden had a golden opportunity to make a case against Trump 2.0 with undecided voters and instead he made Trump's case that Biden isn't mentally competent at this point.

One thing that a Biden withdrawal would bring is an opportunity for him and his successor to speak to a large captive audience when announcing it.  More people, and especially undecided voters, will tune it to see it live than tuned in for the debate.  Both Biden and Kamala or whoever takes over should hammer the messaging you suggest home for that captive audience.

Watching the debate, I felt Biden had been over-prepped and was reaching for canned responses. I thought he should just focus on a single point each time he was asked a question and then talk about the fate of the nation should the fascist rapist get elected. 

Policy arguments are old paradigm. Brass knuckles character assassination is new paradigm. Trump is such a ripe target for that.

Whoever proceeds, they need to focus on what the biggest issue for the country is: America is the Constituion; Trump is killing the constituion by any means possible. And just stay on the attack. If Trump cared about the country, he'd be involved in preventing or planning for the climate disaster. He's not doing it because of money from the rich.

No more, "We got $200MM for education and the VA... " Very sadly, the ones who will decide neither care nore understand.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Watching the debate, I felt Biden had been over-prepped and was reaching for canned responses. I thought he should just focus on a single point each time he was asked a questiong and then talk about the fate of the nation should the fascist rapist get elected. 

Policy arguments are old paradigm. Brass knuckles character assassination is new paradigm. Trump is such a ripe target for that.

Whoever proceeds, they need to focus on what the biggest issue for the country is: America is the Constituion; Trump is killing the constituion by any means possible. And just stay on the attack. If Trump cared about the country, he'd be involved in preventing or planning for the climate disaster. He's not doing it because of money from the rich.

No more, "We got $200MM for education and the VA... " Very sadly, the ones who will decide neither care nore understand.

I nominate you to run the new campaign.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

We're all about the same here, which means we're all dealing or have dealt with older relatives.  We all know they never get better.  The only plateau and then decline again.  We know that Biden is a confused old man who has gotten worse since 2020 and 2022 and we also know that Trump is 2-3 years away from having full on dementia.  

Not everyone ages like Rita Moreno or Warren Buffett.  They are the exceptions.  

I would vote for Moreno/Buffet ticket in a heartbeat.  Are either of them still alive though? 

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

As much as I'd like Kelly, those aren't terrible choices, particularly Beshear...

Agreed. A centrist Democrat from a red state. Not going to get Kentucky, but he'll appeal to independent voters who don't like the extremes of either party.