2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

There's the tell. The Republicans would love him off the ballot. They want it to be Kamala so badly. It's so much easier to smear a woman, and a black one at that. I've already seen fake shit about how she wasn't really born in America. They'd definitely bring back that old hit.

except, I literally just made the point the Kamala would be a downgrade.

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I can't speak to the motives of NYT opinion writers or billionaire donors, but I know there are millions of people like me who turned to their spouse after 10 minutes of debate watching and said "oh shit, Trump is gonna be President again."  Go back and read the debate game thread - there's no messaging psy-op there, no coordinated campaign from elites to choose a candidate, just a bunch of internet dorks reaching the same conclusion in real-time.

Brushing this all off as some deep state conspiracy is bordering on Alex Jones territory.

The only reason you thought that is because you've been programmed to think that democrats have to do everything perfectly in order to be successful while Republicans can just do or say literally anything they want and it doesn't matter. If that was the case Trump would have won the last election.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I cite her constantly as my 2028 pick.

Wait, are we allowed to believe that there will be elections in 2028 on the Doom Thread?

56 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

If a US voter is going to vote for Trump because "Biden" did poorly in a "debate" where Trump wasn't called out on his bullshit lies, then we are truly fucked as a country. Trump is an absolute piece of shit but we are worried about Biden. I don't think anyone on the Dem ticket is going to make "on the fence" voters think, "well, this person is ok so maybe I shouldn't vote for the piece of shit felon pedophile." At this point, if you are "on the fence", you are a Trump voter pretending not to be a Trump voter.

Screw it, maybe we are already truly fucked as a country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Captainant said:

We do have a better way: ranked choice voting. It's been in practice globally in other democracies, and has been successfully implemented in state elections here in the US. It consistently reduces extremism in the politics thanks to the voting structure meant to actually determine consensus, and not just playing political games

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

That's kind of how it worked out in France, where they hold elections in two rounds, unless an outright majority is reached in the first one. It gives people a chance a) to think about it and b) build coalitions to block dangerous extremists.

I think that rank choice voting should certainly be part of the discussion. But in this particular case, you could have rank choice voting in all 50 states for the primary, and Biden is likely still the nominee. And the Ds are in the same spot, likely with the same last minute maneuvering. RCV isn't just a magic wand. We have to break the grip of the two party system on the entire process. IMO, that starts with election funding mechanism and ballot access. There is probably a good place for RCV in the process. 

Just now, Duane Moore said:

Wait, are we allowed to believe that there will be elections in 2028 on the Doom Thread?

This country can just cease to exist.  What a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The only reason you thought that is because you've been programmed to think that democrats have to do everything perfectly in order to be successful while Republicans can just do or say literally anything they want and it doesn't matter. If that was the case Trump would have won the last election.

LOL, anyone not enamored with Biden and who doesn't see him beating Trump in his current state has been programmed?

jeXiz1RAvzX44.webp.a43db16e02b2c097c2763bb821728655.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

If you don't understand that voting for Biden isn't simply "I like Biden and I'm voting for him" but rather that he will put people in place to run an effective government, you probably weren't voting for him anyway.....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The only reason you thought that is because you've been programmed to think that democrats have to do everything perfectly in order to be successful

"minimally functional" would have more than sufficed 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

LOL, anyone not enamored with Biden and who doesn't see him beating Trump in his current state has been programmed?

jeXiz1RAvzX44.webp.a43db16e02b2c097c2763bb821728655.webp

But it's not a smear campaign!!! Republicans don't do this!!! The media doesn't do this!!!

GSAty4bbgAAJ6ll.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

RCV isn't just a magic wand. We have to break the grip of the two party system on the entire process. IMO, that starts with election funding mechanism and ballot access. There is probably a good place for RCV in the process. 

A big part of breaking the 2 party system is revoking our first past the post voting system that all but systemically mandates a 2 party system. Historically speaking, those two parties may change, but there's only ever two. 

Shit, do we have a Sith situation on our hands?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cattail said:

I feel that is Admiral McCraven could be convinced to run as a dem, he would destroy Trump and put an end to all this nonsense.

Is this a dig at the man by calling him craven? or just a misforunate typo?

A big part of breaking the 2 party system is revoking our first past the post voting system that all but systemically mandates a 2 party system. Historically speaking, those two parties may change, but there's only ever two. 

Shit, do we have a Sith situation on our hands?

Yoda gave it his goodest shot, but he’s gonna go hide on Degobah until all the shit blows over.

1 minute ago, Pam Cummings said:

But it's not a smear campaign!!! Republicans don't do this!!! The media doesn't do this!!!

GSAty4bbgAAJ6ll.jpeg

What are you babbling about?  No one here is brainwashed by CNN.  People were posting their disdain for Biden's mentation in the debate thread in real time.  Are you really going with anyone who isn't an enthusiastic supporter of Biden is under the spell of the mainstream media?  Lumping CNN in with Fox and centrists with MAGA?

I think I need to make this my avatar.

bold.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Goredho said:

What are you babbling about?  No one here is brainwashed by CNN.  People were posting their disdain for Biden's mentation in the debate thread in real time.  Are you really going with anyone who isn't an enthusiastic supporter of Biden is under the spell of the mainstream media?  Lumping CNN in with Fox and centrists with MAGA?

I think I need to make this my avatar.

bold.jpg

You literally said all this shit last time. Biden is too old, he can't win. But he won though didn't he?

In what world is removing the incumbent candidate from the ballot for Kamala or some unknown person 4 month out of the election a smart political play?

200.gif

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

You literally said all this shit last time. Biden is too old, he can't win. But he won though didn't he?

In what world is removing the incumbent candidate from the ballot for Kalama or some unknown person a smart political play?

Given that Biden appears to be mentally incapable of handling the job...

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you don't understand that voting for Biden isn't simply "I like Biden and I'm voting for him" but rather that he will put people in place to run an effective government, you probably weren't voting for him anyway.....

I look forward to being lectured on November 6th about how stupid the voting public is (accurate) when a literal corpse should have handily defeated Trump. With next to zero introspection about Democrats'/Biden's strategy to do their best to test that theory.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, aggie08 said:

I look forward to being lectured on November 6th about how stupid the voting public is (accurate) when a literal corpse should have handily defeated Trump. With next to zero introspection about Democrats'/Biden's strategy to do their best to test that theory.

Yep yep heard it last time too.

When we were growing up we had a 21-inch, Emerson cabinet-style TV. 
Black and white.  Dad used to always say "Color is not for me." 
The ponderosa looked fake. I could hardly recognize Little Joe.

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This country can just cease to exist.  What a joke. 

Yeah, my text from the post got screwed up but this is a trend I’ve been seeing in polls lately. Voters have more favorable approval ratings of Trump’s term than Biden’s. We’ve never had an election where you can compare 4 years of one candidate versus the other’s 4 years, and the comparison is not going well for Biden. It showed up in that AARP poll of Wisconsin that came out today as well.

• Rage+1 1

In what world is removing the incumbent candidate from the ballot for Kalama or some unknown person a smart political play?

Lol, I did?   Where?  Removing an incumbent candidate from the ballot is a smart political play when that candidate can no longer carry on the fight, and that's especially true in this election when this may be the last fight.  What happens in a boxing match when one fighter can't leave their corner and continue to box?  Do judges award them a championship belt because of how they performed in their last fight?

I understand you are scared, but you are no more or less a political strategist than anyone else posting their opinions here.  There are plenty of people more qualified than you that disagree with you.  And plenty that disagree with me, too.  But, the more qualified people urging me to be calm and rally behind Biden are the same people that steered the Democratic party into this position, so sorry, I have very little faith in what they and you have to say about the right thing to do now.

• Hook 'Em 3

You think it’s bad now but just wait until the Democrats quadruple down on learning all the wrong lessons from losing to Trump AGAIN!  You think they’re going to change their tune and come in with a real bold reformer, get shit done kind of candidate/leader?

Nah, they’ll give us Mitt Romney light in a Pete Buttigieg packaging and pray to holy heaven that elections still exist/matter in 2028 so Joe Hillary Jefferies can beat Ron DeSantis/Josh Hawley. 

This country’s government is irrevocably fucked either way you slice it.  Might as well start fomenting a rebellion now and hope whatever comes out on the other side is slightly less cruel than what America’s kids have to look forward to… a lifetime of working to pay off banks and insurance companies in the form student loans, mortgages, and medical debt.  This is all assuming we’re not engulfed in a major global conflict, which appears closer to a reality every day.  

/doomsayer rant

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Biden insists on staying on the ticket then he needs to be out there at minimum 5 days per week.  If he's not willing to commit to that then they need to move on.  We need to whip that horse down the stretch and if he dies, he dies.  Then Harris is the definite nominee.

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

Este.  You either run like a young man or get the fuck out of the way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

No, I can just remember things that happened more than five minutes ago.

You can't be this dense. You're asking millions of apathetic, relatively low-information American voters to find the motivation to go vote for a guy who WILL NOT be the President in January 2029 (or probably even November 2026) and wasn't exactly a popular choice before the debate.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You think it’s bad now but just wait until the Democrats quadruple down on learning all the wrong lessons from losing to Trump AGAIN!  You think they’re going to change their tune and come in with a real bold reformer, get shit done kind of candidate/leader?

Nah, they’ll give us Mitt Romney light in a Pete Buttigieg packaging and pray to holy heaven that elections still exist/matter in 2028 so Joe Hillary Jefferies can beat Ron DeSantis/Josh Hawley. 

This country’s government is irrevocably fucked either way you slice it.  Might as well start fomenting a rebellion now and hope whatever comes out on the other side is slightly less cruel than what America’s kids have to look forward to… a lifetime of working to pay off banks and insurance companies in the form student loans, mortgages, and medical debt.  This is all assuming we’re not engulfed in a major global conflict, which appears closer to a reality every day.  

/doomsayer rant

this brisket fan fiction attempt sucks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Bullshit. The reason any of us think that has nothing to do with how WE think and everything to do with the reality of how the average, unengaged swing voter thinks.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If Biden insists on staying on the ticket then he needs to be out there at minimum 5 days per week.  If he's not willing to commit to that then they need to move on.  We need to whip that horse down the stretch and if he dies, he dies.  Then Harris is the definite nominee.

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

The weird part he has been out there at rallies, events, ABC interview. Trump has been basement Don since the debate. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You can't be this dense. You're asking millions of apathetic, relatively low-information American voters to find the motivation to go vote for a guy who WILL NOT be the President in January 2029 (or probably even November 2026) and wasn't exactly a popular choice before the debate.

Just now, LTbear said:

Bullshit. The reason any of us think that has nothing to do with how WE think and everything to do with the reality of how the average, unengaged swing voter thinks.

This is where we disagree. Catering to the "low information" or "unengaged swing voters" is a losing proposition and always has been. By definition, they don't give a fucking shit. If the actual issues, or the cabinet, or the Supreme Court, or a guy saying he'll cancel elections isn't enough, they aren't going to change their fucking minds for Kamala or Newsome or Whitmire, they literally don't care, it's dumb to think you can sway them, in my opinion. I mean, if they really are that stupid and uninformed, they probably think all the shit trump spews is truth, and if you believe the shit he says, yeah I'd probably think the country sucks too and that he alone can save it, because he's such a great businessman, lol.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Any non-Biden democratic candidate that comes out of the convention is going to get the type of media coverage that Trump had in 2016. It's something that hasn't happened in any of our lifetimes, and it's going to be big news. That takes care of the name recognition problem. And she already has recognition and popularity in key rust belt states that are required to win the election.

Compare that to Biden limiting his exposure and trying to hold on until November when he doesn't even have the lead. I would like any non-Biden democrat's chances of winning. I don't like Biden's chances at all.

It's amazing how many different people think saying shit will make it true.

If Biden is replaced, the replacement candidate would get barraged with "is he/she ready?" type shit from day 1, along with all sorts of "how can the Dems make this election about democracy when they haven't even voted for their candidate?!"" Yes, even if the replacement is Harris. She'd get a bunch of birtherism bullshit on top of that, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The weird part he has been out there at rallies, events, ABC interview. Trump has been basement Don since the debate. 

Excellent strategy and restraint, for a change.

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dems are just on different spots on the curve right now and that's alright.

Screenshot_20240709_123906_Chrome.jpg.118d5cbcefa283f6b1d925292a76a55e.jpg

I'm at the acceptance phase. Biden thinks he's the only one that can beat Trump. It's very Trump like which is a shame. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

Yeah, my text from the post got screwed up but this is a trend I’ve been seeing in polls lately. Voters have more favorable approval ratings of Trump’s term than Biden’s. We’ve never had an election where you can compare 4 years of one candidate versus the other’s 4 years, and the comparison is not going well for Biden. It showed up in that AARP poll of Wisconsin that came out today as well.

If only people had been raising the alarm that independent voters didn't want Biden.

I wish there was a popular Midwestern Democrat governor in a state surrounded by other swing states.  Oh well.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

If Biden is replaced, the replacement candidate would get barraged with "is he/she ready?" type shit from day 1,

Beats, "does he have dementia"... or "will he live til election day"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

This is where we disagree. Catering to the "low information" or "unengaged swing voters" is a losing proposition and always has been.

Except that millions of them voted for Biden in 2020. Maybe they didn't closely follow the Trump circus or his agenda, but they were tired of hearing about him, tired of having to apologize for him when they met someone from another country, and they knew his COVID response sucked because we all went through it. Sure, let's give Grandpa Joe a chance.

Now, they're 4 years removed from a Trump presidency, and those memories have softened (as recent approval polls of Trump's term show). They'd still prefer that Trump didn't win, but aren't committed enough to vote purely anti-Trump given the octogenarian incumbent. Seeing Biden limp to November is likely to trigger the "Fuck it, I'm out" impulse in a non-insignificant number of people.

People are fucking desperate for an alternative to those two. Or, at the very, very least a little transparency and honesty from the White House while they continue to sell themselves as the side of virtue. You know, the whole democratic, you work for your constituents thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's just amazing that people could live through Covid under Trump and approve of his presidency. That's why we're screwed. I've been trying to say on here that people just seem to be fine omitting how big of a piece of shit he is and things he's done because I guess they really love how their finances were during that time. Perhaps that's all that matters and now stuff costs more, you have difficulty owning a home, and interest rates are shit so it's harder to borrow. Most of that is completely out of Biden's control but he's held to account for it. 

• Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

It's amazing how many different people think saying shit will make it true.

If Biden is replaced, the replacement candidate would get barraged with "is he/she ready?" type shit from day 1, along with all sorts of "how can the Dems make this election about democracy when they haven't even voted for their candidate?!"" Yes, even if the replacement is Harris. She'd get a bunch of birtherism bullshit on top of that, too.

Trump got barraged with all sorts of "is this guy really this much of a fucking moron or is it all an act?" from his announcement all the way up to the election, and it only helped him.