2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

So Clooney says 3 weeks ago at a fundraiser he saw 6/27/24 debate Joe. Not the 2020Joe. We see him attempt go off script/notes/teleprompter and when he can’t retrieve the word he wants he can’t complete the overall thought.i just watched a clip of him from the NATO summit do this and he veered off tried to cover and had to go back to the cards he was holding. 

Normally that wouldn’t be concerning but you factor in his shuffle walk, falling down, his grip strength, his inability so far in the last year 1/2 to go unscripted and have the kind of town halls that 2020 Joe would have slayed. 

so Biden’s people wanted the debate as a shot of adrenaline to the campaign going into the convention?

So my question is: who the fuck close to him wanted him up there without a teleprompter? Who the fuck has spent 24 hours with the man that thought he could handle an actual debate? Which technically wasn’t even a debate.

They had to know this would go to shit in a hurry and it did. Was someone trying to expose this on purpose? Because unless his inner circle is fucking delusional they had to know he would absolutely destroy himself in a debate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually kind of like the strategy of Dems keeping things close to the vest during the RNC. Forces them to scrap or at least hedge the anti-Biden talking points while at the same time plan for someone else entirely. There's no benefit to Biden dropping out before the RNC.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

If the GQP wins the senate they will get rid of the filibuster and add 4 justices. They don’t give a shit about decorum and tradition. The Democrats Manchin and Sinema fucked everything when they had the chance. 

Fify

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean what does Biden have to do to get the keys taken away from him? Seriously what would have him staring straight at a 25th amendment forced removal? How bad must he fuck up to not be viable? 

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm actually convinced that the Democrats are the ones ruining our country and just letting the Republicans take the credit. 

The Dem leadership is complicit and have been for a long time.  They’ve enabled and elevated these monsters for perceived easy election wins and exceeding fundraising goals.  They’re as sociopathic as the big banks. 

The Democratic voters are mostly good folks that just want to do the right thing and protect vulnerable people from harm. 

We’d be better off if the leadership of both parties found some way to murder/suicide each other. 

21 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

It’s elder abuse at this point. 

I’m probably not the best person on this topic. I get emotional after losing my aunt to early onset dementia and my grandmother to a different form of it. And we aren’t sure what is wrong with him.

But damn y’all my aunt was a microbiology major. Graduated with honors. Worked in that field in the public sector. She was smart af. 

I watched her deterioration. From someone so smart to someone who didn’t know what a fork was for. To basically sitting on the floor and putting fake jewelry in piles and staring at it. Three socks on one foot. Two different shoes on. Couldn’t tell you what time it was or what day it was. 

What happens when he looks at words at the teleprompter and no longer knows how to say them? You hit plateaus and then a cliff.

And it’s readily apparent to most of us that care about him as a human that it has to stop today. Or his dignity and his legacy will be stolen from him in the cruelest possible way. Truth. Sorry. they will have to use the 25th amendment and it will be ugly. I don’t know what else to say. Someone who knows Jill and others in that circle has to care enough about him as a person to stop this before the public spectacle of it is all anyone will remember. And they really will lose the House and Senate. Not just the presidency. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

Also the mainstream media is desperate for an uptick in viewership and ad dollars, and nothing like Biden being replaced as a Presidential candidate gets the higher-ups wetter. They're helping for the wrong reasons, but they will not let this go for one minute. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean what does Biden have to do to get the keys taken away from him? Seriously what would have him staring straight at a 25th amendment forced removal? How bad must he fuck up to not be viable? 

From Section 4 of the 25th Amendment: "Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

What happens when he looks at words at the teleprompter and no longer knows how to say them? You hit plateaus and then a cliff.

Dunno about the 25th amendment bit, but the above is spot on.  Joe Biden is 7 years older than the average life expectancy of a white male in the U.S.  The curve of decline for people at that age is exponential, not linear.

If it isn’t stopped tonite I can say tomorrow will be bad. He’s going to answer questions. In front of the world. In front of our allies who are already nervous as fuck. I would never do this to someone I cared about. He won’t be able to do it. If he was able to do it he would have run into the press room the morning after the debate or the Monday after and Andrew Shepard style take care of it. He can’t. He hasn’t done it bc he can’t. This wait and see attitude people around him in power keep saying is going to backfire worse than the debate and it will cause people to not trust the party. In the process. 

• Like 1

As an update, I’m spending this week with someone who used to work for Biden, and still crosses paths with him from time to time. In 2020, while he thought that Biden had lost a step, he was still plenty sharp. Today…he thinks Biden is toast…he’s personally seen his decline over a one year period or so. He doesn’t think his judgment is impaired, he thinks Trump is much more mentally deficient…but Biden looks and sounds frail, not just in the debate. He also thinks we’re totally fucked. I agree with the last part.

I am buying lots and lots of ammo.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Also the mainstream media is desperate for an uptick in viewership and ad dollars, and nothing like Biden being replaced as a Presidential candidate gets the higher-ups wetter. They're helping for the wrong reasons, but they will not let this go for one minute. 

Yep.  And most of the ownership wants a Trump win. 

The media is and will be complicit in the downfall of this country.  They have turned presidential elections into popularity contests. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

here's an example of selecting framing to set the narrative:

Godfuckingdamnit. 

But more proof the MSM is gonna keep pushing Biden out as the Nielsen ratings continue to go up. 

Also, he has a firm prediction that Putin and Bibi will escalate their wars in October to help Trump win.

The fascists have won. Buckle up. Because if you’ve read any books, you know what comes next. None of it is good.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, he has a firm prediction that Putin and Bibi will escalate their wars in October to help Trump win.

The fascists have won. Buckle up. Because if you’ve read any books, you know what comes next. None of it is good.

* Maybe

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

For anyone thinking about the 25th Amendment, has a single cabinet member come out and said Joe Biden is unfit for office?

As a historical norm, infrequently though it might be, when the cabinet meets to even discuss the 25th or actually vote on it---it is not made public ahead of time.  From Ford to myriad Presidents having medical issues or undergoing anesthesia...they simply let us know afterwards.  The tricky part here is there are 1000 cameras on them right now.  So much as a handful of them are seen together, the chaos begins. 

What you may see happen is Biden is encouraged to call a cabinet meeting at the WH to assure his team he is of full capacity.  They exchange chit-chat for 30 minutes, he is then informed, "Remember Mister President, we have that photo-op and quick chat with the XYZ group in the Blue Room."  All rise, Joe walks out, and the Cabinet sits back down and all cameras are turned off.  

While this is so dark and awful I do find it kinda funny that Trump really has no interest in doing the job of president, he hates it, he was miserable with actual responsibility, and you can tell he’d much rather be on the sidelines shit stirring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, baboso said:

Campaign finance rules create an incentive for Mr. Biden to stay in the race through the Democratic National Convention in August. At that point, but not before, Mr. Biden would be able to transfer his campaign’s anticipated $100 million war chest to Vice President Kamala Harris, assuming that she, too, is still on the ticket.

Can she be on the ticket as a VP?  Or does she have to be P?  Not necessarily advocating for one or the other, just curious what options there are.

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As an update, I’m spending this week with someone who used to work for Biden, and still crosses paths with him from time to time. In 2020, while he thought that Biden had lost a step, he was still plenty sharp. Today…he thinks Biden is toast…he’s personally seen his decline over a one year period or so. He doesn’t think his judgment is impaired, he thinks Trump is much more mentally deficient…but Biden looks and sounds frail, not just in the debate. He also thinks we’re totally fucked. I agree with the last part.

I am buying lots and lots of ammo.

That's how it seems to me.  Over the last year or so, he'd likely lost a step or two (or three) and his inner circle hid that from most people, hoping they could run out the clock.  That's why the Democrats seem mad and rightfully so.  Hell, I'm mad.  As a Democratic voter, I would have liked the chance to pick the nominee with full information.  Yet, here we are and the Biden family will not go down well in history for this.

Also agree that we're fucked unless the Democrats do something in the next few weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

From a close family member: Deeply, deeply concerned about Biden's fitness to hold office. "Thankfully, no one really believes all those lies about Trump being a felon are true." 

Just kill me now.

• Rage+1 2
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's how it seems to me.  Over the last year or so, he'd likely lost a step or two (or three) and his inner circle hid that from most people, hoping they could run out the clock.  That's why the Democrats seem mad and rightfully so.  Hell, I'm mad.  As a Democratic voter, I would have liked the chance to pick the nominee with full information.  Yet, here we are and the Biden family will not go down well in history for this.

Also agree that we're fucked unless the Democrats do something in the next few weeks.

We're fucked either way.  It's like a team that walked into a game with game plan X.  At halftime, they're down 42-3.  We can stick with the gameplan and hope that it somehow clicks, or we can change the game plan.  But none of that changes the fact that the odds are way against us getting out of a 39 point hole, and it's challenging as shit getting your team to learn and implement a new gameplan during halftime.

We are going to just hand the keys to the Republic over to openly proud fascists, and we are going to get everything we deserve, ten-fold.  

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

We're fucked either way.  It's like a team that walked into a game with game plan X.  At halftime, they're down 42-3.  We can stick with the gameplan and hope that it somehow clicks, or we can change the game plan.  But none of that changes the fact that the odds are way against us getting out of a 39 point hole, and it's challenging as shit getting your team to learn and implement a new gameplan during halftime.

We are going to just hand the keys to the Republic over to openly proud fascists, and we are going to get everything we deserve, ten-fold.  

Who is Frank Reich in this situation?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Sounds like the Dems need to nominate Vince Young, with Colt McCoy as VP.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Can she be on the ticket as a VP?  Or does she have to be P?  Not necessarily advocating for one or the other, just curious what options there are.

FEC laws are pretty clear on the whole ticket using the money not from PAC's.  PAC money can slide around more fluidly from person to person.  As discussed, a campaign can refund donors.  Doesn't happen very often.  But you can legally say, "Thank you for your donation, Mr. XYZ is no longer running for office.  Here is your money back.  We strongly hope you will consider sending it back to new candidate Mrs. ABC."  Somebody's gonna have to eat a bunch of shit in credit card processing fees, and you'll see significant attrition...I'm guessing only 70% of the net amount gets 're-donated', but between PAC money and if that other new candidate already has a war chest from another lower office, they can slide that on over to beat Trump.  It's messy and time-consuming, but a far better option that a drawn-out, messy convention for the whole world to see.  

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

From a close family member: Deeply, deeply concerned about Biden's fitness to hold office. "Thankfully, no one really believes all those lies about Trump being a felon are true." 

Just kill me now.

I've noticed a trend that's caught on with them that's working.  It went from "I know/I believe" or "Real Americans know/believe", something like that.  But now they're all using the same blanket language of "Nobody thinks Biden is fit" or "Everybody knows the election was rigged."  I don't if it came from Fox or Trump speeches, but it wasn't as categorically used just a few years ago.  Obviously it gives them comfort to think that 'Nobody thinks differently than I do' or 'Everybody knows what my research says is true!'  And then 10 seconds later, it's "Biden and 50% of this country are trying to destroy it!"  Does everybody even know that?  

Edited by YGIFS

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your halftime analogy is on point.  However, just restart the game.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The marginalized groups in this country that will suffer the most don't deserve it at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The marginalized groups in this country that will suffer the most don't deserve it at all.

Well, see, I count "them" as "us."  We are all the people.  And we the people seem dead-set on fucking self-immolation.  We are indeed doing this to ourselves.  The idiotic icing on that cake is that even the idiots who think they're doing it to other people, that there is a viable "us v. them" dichotomy?  They're doing it to themselves as well -- their lives will not get better.  They will get worse.  They will eventually find themselves in the crosshairs as well.

It is the stupidest of all possible paths.  And we are on it with supercharged intensity and dedication.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, statsman said:

Politics aside, Harris should be already sworn in as president, and sending a VP name to be confirmed in Congress. 

Let's unburden her from what has been

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

I've got a small savings fund going that will hopefully be enough to get me out of the country a little before, during, and after inauguration day. At least if daily life would quit kicking me in the face

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

here's an example of selecting framing to set the narrative:

Yeah, knowing the full quote, doesn't change anything.  

At best that's a hedge.

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep.  And most of the ownership wants a Trump win. 

The media is and will be complicit in the downfall of this country.  They have turned presidential elections into popularity contests. 

Well America is basically one big high school, so it tracks.