2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I always thought Trump had a puncher's chance. Now I think he's a shoo-in without something substantial happening.

I don't disagree, because American mainstream media has fixated on whether or not Biden will withdraw from the race (to the point they're entirely ignoring actual news that Trump is a goddamned pedophile).  It sure seems to be self-perpetuating at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Biden to give unedited interview to Lester Holt here in Austin on Monday after his talk at LBJ.  Don't know if it's at LBJ with a film crew or done at NBC studio affiliate-KXAN.  I guess we'll know by the road closures.  Sure hope he sticks his landing.  I would think doing it at LBJ would be grandiose and remind people of what he's done to help advance Civil Rights over his last four years.  But it may also make him look like a relic, being that he's over 20 years older than the legislation he's here to celebrate.  I dunno with this fucking simulation.  They'll probably end up having it at Amy's Ice Cream.

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

LBJ usually bodes poorly for an incumbent president

Would be kind of nuts if he mirrors LBJ and says that he won’t seek the nomination.

My guess is he won’t…. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

It will only be an unforced error if Biden remains the nominee.  It may not be likely, but it is possible the decision-makers forced it early to expose Biden with enough time to make a change.

Dude

14 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Holy fuck, stop with it was the meltdown, not the debate that is the crisis.

if elected, Biden has to govern for four more years. It’s clear he cannot. Which means we are functionally being asked to vote for Harris. But folks don’t like that.

As an intellectual argument that’s both flawed, and kinda misogynist. 

Not really. All that needs to happen this November is that Trump loses. Biden could win the election on 11/5 and drop dead on 11/6 and the crisis will be mostly averted, or the proverbial can will be kicked down the road four years. Kamala would become the immediate acting president and would be officially sworn in a few days later. She will then have four years and decide to run for re-election in 2028. With any luck, Dotard will be dead by then.

• Drool 1

34 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

"Biden is old as shit" was already baked in with undecided voters so them seeing that maybe a little more clearly than before just doesn't really change much, especially given his opponent.  At this point I do think Biden's chances of winning have been seriously harmed, but more by the panic within the party than by his actual performance.

No way we are gonna fall for the old Hillary’s emails in a tailpipe trick again. This is why Elon purchased Twitter. The really shitty thing is seeing the times and cnn partake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I don't disagree, because American mainstream media has fixated on whether or not Biden will withdraw from the race (to the point they're entirely ignoring actual news that Trump is a goddamned pedophile).  It sure seems to be self-perpetuating at this point.

And here is the off-ramp for Biden IMO.

He can say he’s up to it.

He can say that he thinks he’s the best person for the job even though he’s lost a step.

But he can’t deny that his age has become the focus of the election and it should be on defeating Trump. Therefore, he’s leaving the race so that a person without his liability can prosecute that case.

He looks unselfish and stately. Not necessarily on his terms but he can go out there and campaign (with a teleprompter please) as hard as his body lets him or, you know, do the presidenting that his 80 some old body / brain lets him. Still a lot of shot going wrong that could use his attention.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

They're not ignoring Trump because of Biden. Trump is Teflon at this point. That's been a constant for years. The media running with their umpteenth billionth speculative "Trump did something bad, you guys" isn't going to move the needle. Trump being lambasted and ridiculed nightly on every talk show for 9 years doesn't move the needle. A court conviction didn't move the needle. I'm not sure raw video of crimes being committed would move the needle (but I'd like to find out). The people you want to hear this aren't tuning into CNN anyway. 

Also, blaming the media for covering the disaster of the debate and its aftermath is silly. This is on the White House.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

This isn't about a "debate performance." It's about a fundamental and permanent change in how the majority of Americans (supporters, neutrals, and opponents) perceive Joe Biden. It's not fixable, and it will not get better over time.

I once thought that about Jan. 6. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Counterpoint to all the of "BIDEN IS SO OLD WE GOTTA VOTE FOR TRUMP!!!":

it's just outrageous how trump has a completely different rubric than Biden. He's always been a word salad and rape machine, so I guess that's all honkey dorey now?

Trump does one thing well.  Destroy what he touches.  The base and machine behind him don't care about his BS not because they are stupid.  Its because they are people who look at someone like Timothy McVeigh and think, "Well, he's got a point."  Trump has more than exceeded their wildest expectations as a hatchet man for the government.  They are not looking for the level headed stewardship of a wise man.  They want the destructiveness of a petulant and entitled child that has been denied their desires and who has been infused with the power of the Presidency.

Anyone not wanting that is scared shitless looking at the decrepit old man being trotted out to stop it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Trump does one thing well.  Destroy what he touches.  The base and machine behind him don't care about his BS not because they are stupid.  Its because they are people who look at someone like Timothy McVeigh and think, "Well, he's got a point."  Trump has more than exceeded their wildest expectations as a hatchet man for the government.  They are not looking for the level headed stewardship of a wise man.  They want the destructiveness of a petulant and entitled child that has been denied their desires and who has been infused with the power of the Presidency.

Anyone not wanting that is scared shitless looking at the decrepit old man being trotted out to stop it.

Remember that accusation in the summer of 2020 that Biden had groped a woman? It turned out to be bullshit, but if that had been true, he would have been toast. Off the ticket. 

If tomorrow someone credibly accuses Trump of groping her? Republicans:

af9bc329794fa6666519d4d02ed76b81.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Counterpoint to all the of "BIDEN IS SO OLD WE GOTTA VOTE FOR TRUMP!!!":

it's just outrageous how trump has a completely different rubric than Biden. He's always been a word salad and rape machine, so I guess that's all honkey dorey now?

His party supports him unconditionally. Democrats meanwhile just can't help but nitpick and undermine just hoping and praying that those mythical undecided centrists who just need a little push will support them. It's fucking asinine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

Posted (edited)

Repubs decided to enter the mess. Which was inevitable. Joining the circular firing squad. 

“house oversight committee subpoenas WH aides over Biden’s health.”

Lewis Rothschild : Say what you want. It's always the guy in my job that ends up doing 18 months in Danbury minimum security prison.

Biden is going to give a major news conference tomorrow. Also breaking news. 

Edited by Nicole44

Just now, Red Five said:

Is this not the, sigh, "big boy" one?

No idea. 🤷 probably. I mean the stuff he has going this week has been planned for some time. Situation is very fluid. I guess. So unless it’s an additional presser probably? It would be odd to announce while NATO is here to say he’s stepping aside and not running. If it is an additional presser I fear it’s doubling down. As the division causes the party to collapse. For someone who saved the country from Trump to then hand it right back to Trump along with Congress and a stacked Supreme Court Biden’s legacy will not be treated kindly 

it started with his decision to run again. He faced little opposition to that.  And had he stuck with what he’d said prior to the 2020 election that he’s just there to be a placeholder and to pass the torch We aren’t screwed like this.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

No idea. 🤷 probably. I mean the stuff he has going this week has been planned for some time. Situation is very fluid. I guess. So unless it’s an additional presser probably? It would be odd to announce while NATO is here to say he’s stepping aside and not running. If it is an additional presser I fear it’s doubling down. As the division causes the party to collapse. For someone who saved the country from Trump to then hand it right back to Trump along with Congress and a stacked Supreme Court Biden’s legacy will not be treated kindly 

it started with his decision to run again. He faced little opposition to that.  And had he stuck with what he’d said prior to the 2020 election that he’s just there to be a placeholder and to pass the torch We aren’t screwed like this.

Interesting. Since Joe will be in Austin on Monday, I wonder if you'll be hearing from the secret service. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Interesting. Since Joe will be in Austin on Monday, I wonder if you'll be hearing from the secret service. 

Don't you dare forget about our deal, @Nicole44

giphy-downsized.gif

18 hours ago, bolverk said:

Now picture Trump as the Night King and MAGA as the white walkers.

Whites with walkers? Shit, that's been his demographic all along...

Eight old women sit in front of a senior residence with their rollators /  wheeled walkers / walking aid in front of them Stock Photo - Alamy

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Don't you dare forget about our deal, @Nicole44

giphy-downsized.gif

It’s a challenge for sure. With the secret service.
Who’s with me?

Just kidding omg. 

I don’t see any other way out other than him stepping aside. Bc if the Dems in Congress are divided their constituents are divided. If he is forced out the delegates and those they represent will be angry and dismayed. The average person isn’t watching all this shit and posting about it, they may feel disenfranchised and just not vote. If he steps down but says it’s for the future of party and country it will open it up for Kamala. I do think an open convention at that point would be dead. Just roll with her. Close ranks and get excited about her and whomever she chooses as a running mate. 

5 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

It’s a challenge for sure. With the secret service.
Who’s with me?

Just kidding omg. 

I don’t see any other way out other than him stepping aside. Bc if the Dems in Congress are divided their constituents are divided. If he is forced out the delegates and those they represent will be angry and dismayed. The average person isn’t watching all this shit and posting about it, they may feel disenfranchised and just not vote. If he steps down but says it’s for the future of party and country it will open it up for Kamala. I do think an open convention at that point would be dead. Just roll with her. Close ranks and get excited about her and whomever she chooses as a running mate. 

Cracking wise about the secret service, in a city where the President is coming to in a few days, on a website that was just infiltrated by hackers.  I'd say your serial killing on Town Lake is probably now the least of your worries.  

I'm starting to buy a little bit into this theory that perhaps Trump wins, gets all his revenge and pardons over a few months, and then resigns.  In this fucking timeline, wouldn't surprise me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I've said that I'd be fine with Harris at the top of the ticket. It's the people openly masturbating about some new blitz primary who are dismissing her for racist and misogynistic reasons. 

I’ve seen it a bit before and now it’s really starting to show on MAGA and right-wing social media — calling Kamala a DEI hire and/or insinuating that she’s risen to her position by performing from her knees. It’s absolutely disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

From Section 4 of the 25th Amendment: "Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

Why not just have the VP send this issue to Congress where the Republicans would be foaming at the mouth to throw Biden out of office not realizing they’re doing Democrats a favor?

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I've said that I'd be fine with Harris at the top of the ticket. It's the people openly masturbating about some new blitz primary who are dismissing her for racist and misogynistic reasons. 

Seriously. She’s the #2. She elevates to #1 unless she says no 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, Duane Moore said:

The beatings will continue until morale improves 

I find this quote “Rep. Jahana Hayes (D-Conn.) said that putting Harris atop the ticket would be setting her up for failure. ” hysterical. Kamala would fail in any other election. It’s not about her. It’s about giving yourself a better shot to win. Biden will lose in a landslide. Fuck your irrelevant thoughts on Harris’ political future (which is bleak). 

17 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’ve seen it a bit before and now it’s really starting to show on MAGA and right-wing social media — calling Kamala a DEI hire and/or insinuating that she’s risen to her position by performing from her knees. It’s absolutely disgusting.

Just wait until Mike Johnson launches an impeachment inquiry.

Given Clooney’s extremely clear comments about both his personal experience of being with Biden and the private views of senators and congressmen, I just don’t see how Biden continues. 

Pelosi’s purposely cryptic comments sounded like she was saying withdraw or we will help you decide to withdraw. She’s trying to give him some dignity on the decision. 

And as far as the whole approach Democrats have taken on this issue, it’s been handled incredibly poorly. If they for whatever reason can’t get him out, they lowered his odds of winning dramatically with their public bickering. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm holding out hope--perhaps foolishly--that this ongoing "will he/won't he" debate is just a necessary charade to allow the real heavy lifting to be done behind the scenes to make sure that the Kamala/ ? ticket is ready to take off as soon as Biden steps aside. The messaging, the infrastructure, the possible changes to cabinet positions...all of that shit needs to be wired up  tight. I'd like to believe the current dog 'n pony we're getting is simply a means to the inevitable end.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If they for whatever reason can’t get him out, they lowered his odds of winning dramatically with their public bickering. 

Actually it sounds a lot like the GOP after the Access Hollywood tape. Lots of bickering, should he drop out, who would replace him, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Pelosi’s purposely cryptic comments sounded like she was saying withdraw or we will help you decide to withdraw. She’s trying to give him some dignity on the decision. 

That and it's a little difficult for her to call him too old, considering she's 3 years older

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'm holding out hope--perhaps foolishly--that this ongoing "will he/won't he" debate is just a necessary charade to allow the real heavy lifting to be done behind the scenes to make sure that the Kamala/ ? ticket is ready to take off as soon as Biden steps aside. The messaging, the infrastructure, the possible changes to cabinet positions...all of that shit needs to be wired up  tight. I'd like to believe the current dog 'n pony we're getting is simply a means to the inevitable end.

I'd like to believe that, too, but this is the Democratic Party we're talking about.

• Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Like this is exactly why we have Vice Presidents, for situations like this, holy fuck people.

I said something similar to my pal the other day. Will be interesting if we finally get to use a VP in their intended role. 

Edited by Biff Tannen
Aside from death of the president I mean

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

There is no coming back from this for Joe and the dam is breaking. Dem party leaders will get in line soon and put him down.

Ben Hunt wrote a great piece about Biden and the Common Knowledge Game last week after the debate: https://www.epsilontheory.com/joe-biden-and-the-common-knowledge-game/  

It's over for him. 

I can't wait to see how they do it if he digs in.