2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

On 7/10/2024 at 12:58 PM, Brisketexan said:

As an update, I’m spending this week with someone who used to work for Biden, and still crosses paths with him from time to time. In 2020, while he thought that Biden had lost a step, he was still plenty sharp. Today…he thinks Biden is toast…he’s personally seen his decline over a one year period or so. He doesn’t think his judgment is impaired, he thinks Trump is much more mentally deficient…but Biden looks and sounds frail, not just in the debate. He also thinks we’re totally fucked. I agree with the last part.

I am buying lots and lots of ammo.

The good news is that you will soon be able to get it with your groceries.

43ce71d9-fa76-4a96-bab7-17d1e6edbe64.jpe

• Rage+1 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:42 PM, Pam Cummings said:

If you don't understand that voting for Biden isn't simply "I like Biden and I'm voting for him" but rather that he will put people in place to run an effective government, you probably weren't voting for him anyway.....

I think you're failing to account for people who don't really like Trump, didn't vote for him in 20 because of covid or something else, but are very low information voters and don't understand just how much of a threat he is to our system of govt, our rights, and our standing in the world - and who also fear having a near-vegetable in the oval to go 1 on 1 with the likes of Putin and Xi. I think most Americans believe that, above all, we absolutely must have a prez who appears "strong."

I'm sorry to tell you but this is a fuckload of people. I don't see any chance in hell this country elects the Biden we saw in the debate. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Biden's current predicament, in one graph.  (This isn't just a reaction to the debate. The debate merely brought an underlying issue to the forefront.)

I would also like to the see the overlay of right wing media screeching about Biden being senile.  I would bet it starts right around that dip from 53-45.

28 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Go out to a fuckin Buffalo Wild Wings or whatever once a week from now until the election. Sit at the bar and start talking sports with random strangers around you, and once you're talking with them about sports ask "hey, can you believe the Republicans want to eliminate football on Sundays? Isn't that fuckin nuts?" 

And I have now found how I'm going to sway swing voters.  This will be FAR more impactful than phone/text banking, knocking doors, or Democratic ad buys.  I'm not even joking.  This is a great idea.  "Yeah man, it's part of Project 2025!"  See y'all at BW3.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

People wanting to stick with Biden have forgotten the first rule of public speaking and first impressions. It’s 70% how you look, 20% how you say it, and 10% what you say. The fact that Trump babbles lies and nonsense is way less important than the fact that Joe looks and sounds too old to govern.  

I taught public speaking at the college level for 10 years, have a Comm degree from Moody (well Jesse H Jones), and was on and coached for the UT Speech Team where we were national champs and are the reigning national champs.

I say the above to say you just pulled those percentages out of your ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Up to 14 Dem Lawmakers now calling on Biden to step aside.

are we all going to be watching his conference together? Because this whole thing sucks and is sad. I credit surly for giving me the best memes and gifs that I dazzle my friends with, I need some good ones. 

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

well damn.  i think vance is a smart pick by trump

Somebody is pulling the strings behind the scenes and outcoaching Biden's team.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Vance is so far away from the "straight out of central casting" thing Trump likes so much. He looks like a troll. 

He has facial hair though. Lol. Isn’t that a no no?

Trump said the other night: Bergum or whatever has a near abortion ban in his state and that’s an issue. So he gone. Don Jr is deeply threatened that Rubio would launch a coup once Trump is elected and have Trump impeached. Don likes Vance. Trump did say that even though Rubio is also from Florida it is not a huge deal to him. Probably picks Vance but who really knows. He could see dandruff on one candidate and make his decision based on that. 

Edited by Nicole44

This is btw Joe’s first solo press conference since November 2023. I really hope he steps aside for his sake. It will be a barrage of questions from this crowd. They feel as Jake Tapper is saying pissed and lied to, this is not going to be pretty. He can stop the bleeding by taking control. Saying he is stepping aside. Not taking questions. It will be sad af if he does. 

Jake Tapper saying a longtime Biden adviser texted Jake that this adviser is mad at the inner circle and perfect storm of an echo chamber that is biting them all in the ass. 

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Vance is also smart but good at acting stupid.

Has some damaging quotes in the past regarding Trump, though.

They all do, though, and they've all capitulated. The only one who hasn't is Nikki Haley and I feel she's just biding her time until the Trump era is over. Vance I guess is better for the Rust Belt vote but Ohio will be red for a while.

Just now, mdmost said:

They all do, though, and they've all capitulated. The only one who hasn't is Nikki Haley and I feel she's just biding her time until the Trump era is over. Vance I guess is better for the Rust Belt vote but Ohio will be red for a while.

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

We're not about sanity, we're about profit.

Some of this honestly sounds like something they'd hatch up at Kramerica Industries.  

"Darren, get in here!  What about a grocery store vending machine at Joe's, that collects your change which you can then use to buy ammunition and mangos?"  

-Oh I like that idea very much, Mr. Kramer. 

I remember watching Airplane 2 as a kid, and thinking how ridiculous the premise was of Sonny Bono buying a time bomb at a newsstand along with TIME magazine.  It was a corny premise even for that franchise. 

Just 40 years later, we now sell ammo at grocery store machines using a minor's older sibling or parent's ID to obtain it.  Yes, I understand as a gun-user that ammo is worthless without the weapon.  But stop and think about how many Americans think that because they keep the weapon unloaded and chamber cleared and the ammo in another location because they just use the weapon for hunting or range time.  It's a small percentage of weapons, but that still adds up to several million that a child or mentally disturbed relative who knows about their arsenal can now "empower" the firearm with convenience store grade ammo.  Think about the black market for this (WHAT ABOUT CHICAGO?).  Having trouble buying ammo because they run your ID?  No big deal, for $50...I'll run over to a Ralph's around here, and pick you up whatever you need using my ID.  Or a fake one.  Yeah, nobody ever used a fake ID at a grocery store to buy alcohol or cigarettes for other kids.  Certainly would never happen with ammunition.  Not in Texas, but in most states---you can buy liquor at the grocery store.  So picture a guy buying a bottle and picking up a prescription.  He's thinking about killing himself.  But he took precautions on one of his good days and got rid of all his ammo.  He's paying the cashier and sees the ammo vending machine.  Takes his bottle, his pills, and a box of rounds home.  If the first option doesn't work or he vomits it up, he can always shoot himself.  There's a 1000 ways this can go sideways.  Some of these regional grocers are owned by larger national conglomerates.  When the first wrongful death happens because some kid bought the ammo with another ID, or any of these 100 other scenarios.  The family will sue the parent company of the grocery store (the vending machine company won't have nearly that kinda money), and it will start a very curious legal path.  There's a reason they quit cigarette vending machines, and why there aren't any liquor vending machines. 

I'm guessing MAGA will continue to doubt the ID integrity of Voting Machines while tout the ID integrity of Ammo Machines, that are literally placed right next to the candy stacks and pool noodles.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

She released her delegates. She hasn't kissed the ring or done a DeSantis. 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/09/politics/nikki-haley-delegates-presidential-convention/index.html

“We need a president who will hold our enemies to account, secure our border, cut our debt, and get our economy back on track. I encourage my delegates to support Donald Trump next week in Milwaukee.”

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/09/politics/nikki-haley-delegates-presidential-convention/index.html

“We need a president who will hold our enemies to account, secure our border, cut our debt, and get our economy back on track. I encourage my delegates to support Donald Trump next week in Milwaukee.”

Yes, that's saying all the right things to keep her powder dry for 2028. It's not showing up at a Trump event to kiss his ass and prostrate yourself before him. Is she Christie or Cheney, no. But they've got no future going forward any way. Someone will eventually have to be there when the Trump era comes to a crashing end.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, aggie08 said:

So where are we at with Trump being toast legally, and everyone thinking otherwise being negative nancies? I mean, I wish you were right...

He was toast, but then a corrupt SCOTUS did the unthinkable, and Democracy is on the brink.

15 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah I had a friend text during the debate "Geez I was gonna vote for Biden but think I'll just stay home at this point. That was pathetic. Two terrible options."

I guess we'll see what the turnout is like in November. 

Your friend is an idiot and is basically supporting the end of democracy at this point.

There are no legitimate replacements for Biden at this point. Anyone saying otherwise is working for the other side.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yes, that's saying all the right things to keep her powder dry for 2028. It's not showing up at a Trump event to kiss his ass and prostrate yourself before him. Is she Christie or Cheney, no. But they've got no future going forward any way. Someone will eventually have to be there when the Trump era comes to a crashing end.  

She'll learn what the other women and Tim Scott have learned, which is despite the lip service, the Republican Party will never nominate anyone that's not a white man.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

There are no legitimate replacements for Biden at this point. Anyone saying otherwise is working for the other side.

Well, there's virtually zero chance that Biden wins if the election were next Tuesday, so not a whole lot to lose by trying something else, yeah?

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Not real sure about your logic here, as the "other side" desperately wants Biden to be the nominee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some of these folks, mean and dumb as we think they are, have towed a delicate balance fairly well in political terms.  Haley, Rubio, Burgum, and most importantly-Glen Youngkin have done a deft job of challenging of Trump's insanity without insulting his MAGA base while keeping the CoC/Country Club GOP traditionalists in their rolodex.  They'll have their time, and even if they lose a few million MAGA lunatics, they'll pick up some moderates who sat out 2020 & 2024 Trump cycle because he's fucking insane.  DeSantis, Christie, Tim Scott, and Hutchison are either too weak, too fat, too Black, or too old for 2028.

In the end, everybody doing Trump's bidding in business or politics gets fucked so somehow, Haley is fucked.  Burgum is kind of that periphery, as is Rubio (who still has age on his side and could serve as a VP to setup his own bid one day).  The one who got the least entangled, by far, with Trump was Youngkin.  Between those 4, those are your two ticket names in 2028.  Assuming we still have elections.      

I assume the appeal of Vance is to go for the kill in the rust belt states and shore up Trump’s slippage in the white working class vote that he lost there between 2016 and 2020. Also a smart guy and will likely be a competent debater. Vance apparently made the intros that got Trump in with the Silicon Valley donors for his big fundraiser there last month. 

Of course it could be as simple as Trump likes him because his last name is one syllable. “Trump - Vance” sounds best to him. 

People say Trump wouldn’t pick Haley or Rubio because they are too ambitious and might try to depose him, but I think you need to watch your back around anyone who could shift so radically between where he was on Trump circa 2015 and where he is now. 

Now I want Biden replaced solely because the trunp campaign wants Biden to stay because that’s who they’ve prepped for. 

The Atlantic is reporting the trunp campaign is already gearing up for a landslide win.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The Atlantic is reporting the trunp campaign is already gearing up for a landslide win.

If this were to happen (I don’t believe it will), what reason would people have to keep fighting?  It’s been fucking exhausting for almost a decade. Let’s just split up the US and get it over with.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Her motivation is irrelevant, she has capitulated and kissed the ring, period. If anything, her reason makes it worse. Telling people to support a dangerous con man so she can be next in line.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Now I want Biden replaced solely because the trunp campaign wants Biden to stay because that’s who they’ve prepped for. 

They’ve also been expecting to go after Kamala because it’s clear that she would be taking over at some point in a hypothetical second Biden term. And they have enough ammunition on her to recreate the bank heist scene from Heat. 

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Biden and the Ukraine President speaking now.

When he introduced Zelensky he said and now here is President Putin! Oh God.

Uh, did that really just happen?

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Biden and the Ukraine President speaking now.

When he introduced Zelensky he said and now here is President Putin! Oh God.

It’s fucking over.  LMAO

Just now, Goredho said:

Uh, did that really just happen?

Yes

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It’s fucking over.  LMAO

Yes

I was already pretty convinced he was going to be replaced in some way but, yes, that comment has to be the kill shot. Oy vey!