2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

21 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

He did just good enough to stick around.  Which has Republicans salivating.

This is what I'm afraid of. He did a good job today and the two most viral moments are him calling Zelensky Putin and Kamala Trump.

Social media really is awful. His good foreign policy stances are like meh boring, let's see another gaffe!

Sorry I needed the laugh. The last two weeks have been intense and depressing. And I have way too many X-Files episodes to catch up on (started rewatching the show and it’s bad ass right now) and my DVR is almost full of them. 

I just needed a laugh. 

IMG_1481.jpeg

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Then we deserve Trump. If the country can’t get off their ass and vote for the old guy that sometimes messes up words and is shit in a debate against a fucking rapist that has said all the quiet parts out loud - then we are fucked. Yippie.

It still stuns me that this is true. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

This is what I'm afraid of. He did a good job today and the two most viral moments are him calling Zelensky Putin and Kamala Trump.

Trump does that shit all the time. 

I can't listen to NPR or watch much news. The biggest story since WW2 is right in front of the news stations, but they won't see it.

Of course, neither does a huge part of the electorate. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Then we deserve Trump. If the country can’t get off their ass and vote for the old guy that sometimes messes up words and is shit in a debate against a fucking rapist that has said all the quiet parts out loud - then we are fucked. Yippie.

Not sure what country you live in...but we, here in America, definitely deserve Trump.  If you live in Texas and are wondering what we 'deserve', I'm even more confused. 

The only way this could be crazier is if Ted Kennedy was running against Trump and we all had to overlook the Chappaquiddick thing to avoid another Trump presidency. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

NYT editorial board comes out against Trump.

It’s quite obvious NYT hates both options. I wonder if they even endorse this year unless the top of the Dem ticket changes 

IMG_2666.thumb.jpeg.e9b5d334dbdc0aec11169f15fe181771.jpeg

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Nyt today:

Cooling inflation

IRS crackdown of millionaires

Trump visiting Orban

Trump’s anti-NATO stance

Vivid explainer on Project 2025

Editorial about why Trump is unfit to be POTUS

Are they finally figuring out that being anti-Biden is not going to save them from a media crackdown by a second Trump admin? 

They are probably trying to stop the avalanche of sub cancellations. People were not happy that they were ignoring Trump's issues to shit on Biden. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, CTC2 said:

Take a stroll through rural Texas lately?

I've moved to rural Texas. I pass two small ranches that have Trump Flags regularly. I know these bloodsuckers exist. I'm not surprised. I'm stunned by the fact of it.

I've recently had a family member reveal their Trumpiness. The person thought she had a gotcha when she brought up Biden's debate performance.

Me: "I'd vote for a corpse before I'd vote that lying fascist. I never dreamed there would be an election of existential importance to the republic."

Her: "All politicians lie"

Idiot World. Malign Idiot World. I've got a DNA connection with it.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I’ve long maintained that Trump was just an indictment of our education and mental health treatment systems. You just don’t get a Trump without a good helping of the mentally ill and uneducated.  Add the religious right who prey on the above. Team them up with the bigots and the folks that think this election is about taxes and well, that’s almost a dream team of the American electorate. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

The silver lining is it’s good this fiasco is happening now and not in September.  There will be plenty of time to circle the wagons should they need circling… the media and the public have very short term memories.  This will likely be a blip on the radar come October surprise time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Biden needs to learn to talk about countries without getting into the names of people. “We stand in support of the Ukrainian people and elected govt who stand for democracy and peace.” That’s all it takes.

we all have certain words that for whatever reason we mispronounce or get tongue tied saying it. The best solution for that is to avoid saying that word. It’s not tough. So if Biden struggles in immediately recalling names, don’t try to do it. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

This is why I still haven’t seen a second of the debate and watched all of 20 seconds tonight. I’m expecting Trump to win at this point because that’s what this country wants. Dwelling on it for the next four months would make me insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Biden needs to learn to talk about countries without getting into the names of people. “We stand in support of the Ukrainian people and elected govt who stand for democracy and peace.” That’s all it takes.

we all have certain words that for whatever we mispronounce or get tongue tied saying it. The best solution for that is to avoid saying that word. It’s not tough. So if Biden struggles in immediately recalling names, don’t try to do it. 

Or just make his answers more concise. Like the question about him being a bridge candidate in 2020 and how he reconciles that today. I would have just said I’m building that bridge to 2028 to one of our young and upcoming stars. And leave it at that

• Hook 'Em 1

I just don't have the energy to care about this dude and his mistakes while he talks about shit when G Dubya butchered a lot of shit pretty badly too and we hammered him on it. It didn't hurt his re election.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

This was a little better, but I don't think a single person saw this and said, "Okay, I feel better."

Except for a bunch of people on this thread who said "Okay, I feel better."

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Every single Dem politician who's speaking out against Joe DESPERATELY wants to defeat Trump. So much so that they believe they have to put THEIR OWN PRESIDENT to bed in order to save whatever is left of this goddamned country.

It. Does. Not. Make. Them. Right.

Switching from Biden at this point is political suicide.  It absolutely 100% ices the vote for Trump.  I'll donate another $1K to Mobile Loaves and Fishes this year if the Dems switch and win.  Hold me to it, I'd be fucking thrilled.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m expecting Trump to win at this point because that’s what this country wants. Dwelling on it for the next four months would make me insane. 

This is kind of where I'm at except I have been driving myself insane and need to stop.

Maybe we deserve a criminal narcissist POS. Time to get on with my life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Switching from Biden at this point is political suicide.  It absolutely 100% ices the vote for Trump.  I'll donate another $1K to Mobile Loaves and Fishes this year if the Dems switch and win.  Hold me to it, I'd be fucking thrilled.

Sticking with Biden at this point is political suicide. It absolutely 100% ices the election for Trump. 

Which the polling/narrative is clearly showing us. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sticking with Biden at this point is political suicide. It absolutely 100% ices the election for Trump. 

Which the polling/narrative is clearly showing us. 

No, it isn't.  

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I just don't have the energy to care about this dude and his mistakes while he talks about shit when G Dubya butchered a lot of shit pretty badly too and we hammered him on it. It didn't hurt his re election.

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

I’ve long maintained that Trump was just an indictment of our education and mental health treatment systems. You just don’t get a Trump without a good helping of the mentally ill and uneducated.  Add the religious right who prey on the above. Team them up with the bigots and the folks that think this election is about taxes and well, that’s almost a dream team of the American electorate. 

Trump is the symptom.  The populace is the disease.  Sad shit.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

51 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep. Joe is our only hope

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I genuinely don’t understand this take when every poll shows the vast majority of Democrats want Biden to drop out.

Nobody thinks that of you elect Biden you’re not getting Harris as president at some point before January 20, 2029. So you’re getting all of the negatives of Biden and all of the negatives of Harris, without any of Harris’s positives.

Just eliminate the Biden negatives, and at the same time reap the positives that come with a younger and more dynamic candidate.

• Hook 'Em 8

I'm not talking about Dem polls, I'm talking about Biden V Trump polls.  Trusting them is a fool's errand, but they're a dead heat, which makes them even more useless, not "OH MY GERD TRUMP IS A LOCK TO WIN VS BIDEN".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

The only way this could be crazier is if Ted Kennedy was running against Trump and we all had to overlook the Chappaquiddick thing to avoid another Trump presidency. 

If Trump crashed his car into the water, the MAGA would be celebrating how great a swimmer he was.  Trump would use it to prove he could have been on the Olympic team and would have probably won more medals that Michael Phelps...

I don't get the only Biden can win take.  The country's been fucked since trump won the first time.  Likely from well before then.  But you win by being charismatic and bold.  Hell, trump won by being a charismatic, raging asshole.  And the dems win when someone with charisma, Obama or a younger Biden, run, not when they're playing it safe and uninteresting.  And the take is that an 82-year-old who if he can make it though a short press conference is a huge relief is the safe choice boggles my mind.  Never mind that the safe choice rarely wins anyway.

We should be able to do better than demented evil clown vs. demented nice guy.  And if we can't, we deserve what we get.  Dems may well lose regardless, because huge swaths of this country are fucking morons.  But at least go down fighting, and not being so scared of losing they're running someone who appears to be in the early stages of dementia.

• Hook 'Em 3

We risked this exact scenario when the Dems nominated Biden in 2020.  People were screaming that he would be not old but ancient should he win and run again.  Here we are.

My take on switching horses is that it is simply a non-starter.  It's never done.  It would not draw a net influx of voters to the Democrat's side.  It just wouldn't.  It would drive more people away than it would bring others in.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We risked this exact scenario when the Dems nominated Biden in 2020.  People were screaming that he would be not old but ancient should he win and run again.  Here we are.

My take on switching horses is that it is simply a non-starter.  It's never done.  It would not draw a net influx of voters to the Democrat's side.  It just wouldn't.  It would drive more people away than it would bring others in.

Do you have any evidence for this?  Because I think it runs contrary to the empirical evidence and basic common sense.

Harris not only takes away the primary attack against the Democratic candidate. She turns it squarely back on Trump. As bad as Biden looked against Trump, Trump would look even more confused, enfeebled, and incapable if put on a debate stage against Harris.

And you think that doesn’t win voters back to the Democratic ticket?

I mean, that’s just wild to me.

• Hook 'Em 7

Do you have any evidence for this?  Because I think it runs contrary to the empirical evidence and basic common sense.
Harris not only takes away the primary attack against the Democratic candidate. She turns it squarely back on Trump. As bad as Biden looked against Trump, Trump would look even more confused, enfeebled, and incapable if put on a debate stage against Harris.
And you think that doesn’t win voters back to the Democratic ticket?
I mean, that’s just wild to me.
Chance of Trump debating any Democratic candidate not named Joe Biden?

Zero.

I'm talking Kelvin Zero.

They're going to have to sneak into a rally and call him out like Beto did to Abbott.

Posted (edited)

Only Biden can beat Trump?  WTF, are some of you retarded?

Joe Biden was always an average to below average pol who was good at foreign policy.  He ran for president in 88, 08, and 20 and lost badly each time until the SC primary in 20 when the blacks voted for him because he was Obama’s BFF.  (Had he not been Obama’s VP, he doesn’t win that.)

He’s just not a good politician and the idea that the Democratic Party in 2024 can only win with 82 year old Joe Biden is ridiculous. 

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Exactly.

Every single Biden supporter will vote for Kamala. She is his VP!! She is part of his administration! She's literally 2nd in line. All the BIden stans who are mad will get over it very quickly if Kamala is called up.

Then you have a chance to energize young voters (who are uninterested and feel distant due to these two dinosaurs) energize the minority vote, and put women's rights front and center in this election. 

People are understandably very scared right now. The only action that can create a legitimate turning point in this election is bringing in Kamala off the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm not saying Joe Biden is the best Dem to beat Trump.  I'm saying he's been the Dem choice for 4 years and it's too fucking late to change.

Y'all have the strategic instincts of my chihuahua.

And Donald Trump is not debating Kamala Harris, for fuck's sake.

• Hook 'Em 1