2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

True that some don't like Biden's stance on Israel/Palestine but their other choice is to actively or passively support Trump who uses Muslim as a slur. Trump will happily send them back if they're immigrants and perhaps even if they're Americans.

Not just Muslim, he uses Palestinian as a slur 

Taylor Swift with a super competent VP would be an awesome ticket. First woman president. Then just resign immediately and let the VP actually do the term. Ez pz save the world from fascism. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Taylor Swift with a super competent VP would be an awesome ticket. First woman president. Then just resign immediately and let the VP actually do the term. Ez pz save the world from fascism. 

Do you have to be an eligible candidate to get on the ballot, or just be eligible before taking office?  She doesn't turn 35 until December.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Do you have to be an eligible candidate to get on the ballot, or just be eligible before taking office?  She doesn't turn 35 until December.

Taking office. 

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Yep, we are full on coaching search thread now 

• Haha 5

A lot of you have better drugs than I…

The stressful drip drip drip (we are at 31 members of Congress right now) certainly does call for me to explore my options of recreational drug use. 

the deadline for those who want him out is Monday. So even though only 8 more members of congress came forward today most are waiting for Sunday/Monday final push. This is nuts. Drugs seem like a good idea this weekend after the week I have had. 

it is also clear that the Dem party should never stage an intervention 

Edited by Nicole44

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not just Muslim, he uses Palestinian as a slur 

What is literally insane to me is I have a neighbor three doors down whom I love. He’s such a great guy and has a great family— they are Palestinian and by all accounts have been very successful financially in the 25 years they’ve been here (and I’ve seen their adult son with a Free Palestine shirt once when he visited). This guy told me last weekend he doesn’t like Biden and is voting Trump.

wut 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

What is literally insane to me is I have a neighbor three doors down whom I love. He’s such a great guy and has a great family— they are Palestinian and by all accounts have been very successful financially in the 25 years they’ve been here (and I’ve seen their adult son with a Free Palestine shirt once when he visited). This guy told me last weekend he doesn’t like Biden and is voting Trump.

wut 

Did you ask him why he supports Netanyahu?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

wut 

Tell him he’s been a good neighbor. You’ll miss him when he gets deported 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

54 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I agree in principle, but I think there are 3 buckets of modern "libertarians".

1. Erstwhile Republicans who don't like Trump
  2. Religious zealots who have officially moved to team Trump, but don't consider themselves Republicans
  3. and Anarchists

I think the Democrats still have a shot at bucket #1, but who the fuck knows anymore.

Rich white folks who want no regulations or taxes so they can continue to plunder….. unless the regulation means they can make more $ or exploit a loop hole to increase their plunder.

Ive never met a libertarian who turned down a law or regulation that makes them $.

I always get a kick out of libertarian master plumbers….

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Did you ask him why he supports Netanyahu?

To be honest I’m not that informed to get into a deep political conversation with this guy, but it was a shock. And this isn’t a neighborhood with any political signage at all, but certainly you wouldn’t think would be Trumpy.

I’ll bring it up next time we speak; I’ve been hesitant 

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Again, this is what he is going to say right up to the moment when he drops out. 

Nobody is capable of convincing him he needs to drop out. He doesn’t want to, so he isn’t going to

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Tell him he’s been a good neighbor. You’ll miss him when he gets deported 

Tell him he's been a good neighbor. He'll really enjoy even more stories of atrocities and famine when Trump takes over and let's Bibi really go ham on Gaza while also cutting most aid to the region. But hey, he got his. That's all that matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, GopherRock said:

...until they realize that Trump = Bibi.

Nah. They'll just have even more to bitch about in the next 4 years. Just like with young voters who say they won't vote for Biden now because of Gaza. They'll have plenty more outrage content to broadcast for 4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Joe isn’t dropping out

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Again, this is what he is going to say right up to the moment when he drops out. 

YEah, what Red Five said. He didn't say who he'd be campaigning for next week. Just that he'd be campaigning against Trump. 

1 minute ago, Zonahorn said:

If the people in this country weren't watching Cable News we wouldn't be in this mess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Vegas64 said:

To be honest I’m not that informed to get into a deep political conversation with this guy, but it was a shock. And this isn’t a neighborhood with any political signage at all, but certainly you wouldn’t think would be Trumpy.

I’ll bring it up next time we speak; I’ve been hesitant 

If he supports Trump, he supports Netanyahu and ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian people. Forget about a two-state solution. Trump will let Netanyahu run roughshod and won’t even try to rein him in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Good luck selling those voters on progressive issues like student loan forgiveness, universal health care, higher capital gains taxes, or universal basic income. 

I understand all of these to an extent, but I think a lot of the hesitancy is based of false propaganda they've been hearing for their whole lives.  It goes back to the 80's concepts of "bootstraps", and "greed is good".

The truth is there needs to be a reprogramming effort that focuses on the benefits of these ideas.

The student debt crisis is based on the false hope being sold to 18–19-year-olds that getting a degree will ensure a brighter future.  For myriad reasons, that "bootstrap" dream just never came to fruition for many and now they are saddled with crushing amounts of debt.  Forgiving that debt would be a boon to the economy because it puts money in the pockets of those who will spend it, as opposed the PPP loans to the rich that were forgiven.

Universal Healthcare has been proven effective in other countries at lowering government spending on healthcare, as well as medical spending by individuals.  Again, this puts more money in the pockets of those who need it and encourage more regular checkups and earlier detection of major diseases. 

Higher capital gains taxes are probably the toughest sell in the group, but there's no reason Warren Buffet's tax rate should be lower than his secretary.  I think it's reasonable to keep the current Capital Gains taxes for those earning up to $523k, but I don't see why the highest bracket (those above $523k) shouldn't be taxes like normal income, instead of being capped at 20%, since the vast majority of folks make their living off capital gains.  As a comparison, the effective tax rate for someone earning $80k is above 20%... so a lot of us suckers, on this board, probably pay a higher tax rate than the billionaire Wall Street types.  

Universal Basic Income, while perhaps not needed today, will likely become necessary with the advent of AI.  Unless the population declines significantly... I'm talking nuclear holocaust... then there will only be so many jobs to go around.  And if the population does decline to the levels needed, humankind will likely be fucked anyway so it won't matter.  See Mad Max or Dune.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

True that some don't like Biden's stance on Israel/Palestine but their other choice is to actively or passively support Trump who uses Muslim as a slur. Trump will happily send them back if they're immigrants and perhaps even if they're Americans.

You're giving some people way too much credit. Emotional decisions usually don't bother to involve logic and facts.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zonahorn said:

Again, just what I’ve heard from the camps working in Florida. I’ll believe it when I see it, but it isn’t impossible.

I'd like to believe you and I think that would be consistent with one of the strongest sentiments in the race - anti-trump and consistent with the veteran campaign Biden has, but others are saying on the ground is the exact opposite with not enough volunteers and not enough enthusiasm.

Nobody is capable of convincing him he needs to drop out. He doesn’t want to, so he isn’t going to

I think that’s why he went back to Delaware. His private home. He was there before the Covid. If donors freeze donations to down ballot tickets (which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard but some are doing this) all of Congress can show up on his front lawn tomorrow. And I guess it won’t matter. We live in really strange fucking times. I need better drugs. Is he going to go to rallies with no support?

I would prefer to moving on to discussions on defeating Trump but the rub is the mere fact that Biden’s getting knocked off the stage. I don’t even know what fucking data they are even showing Biden.

The blue one is internal stuff donors look at. These are from CNN just now. John King said last night Trump has 8 paths to 300 EV and Biden has 1 maybe 2. 

Just anoint Harris so we can move forward!!! Why is it this hard????

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Unless the population declines significantly... I'm talking nuclear holocaust... then there will only be so many jobs to go around.  And if the population does decline to the levels needed, humankind will likely be fucked anyway so it won't matter.  See Mad Max or Dune.

You're STARTING to figure out our trajectory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

YEah, what Red Five said. He didn't say who he'd be campaigning for next week. Just that he'd be campaigning against Trump. 

If the people in this country weren't watching Cable News we wouldn't be in this mess. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It's a possibility.

Y’alll are putting way too much trust in what the media are saying. The fact that there are still  Democratic politicians calling on him to drop out means he still hasn’t dropped out

4 minutes ago, troph said:

I'd like to believe you and I think that would be consistent with one of the strongest sentiments in the race - anti-trump and consistent with the veteran campaign Biden has, but others are saying on the ground is the exact opposite with not enough volunteers and not enough enthusiasm.

Which state and which campaign @troph

Edited by Zonahorn

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You're STARTING to figure out our trajectory.

Started with Idiocracy, but now Furiosa and Dune are looking like documentaries.

Edited by DixonHur

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

This is true.  But also, simply a byproduct of being human.

There has to be an "other" to remind you why you belong to your group.

Hell, you don't have to look any further than Texas vs aggy, Houston vs Dallas, or any on of the infinite number of ways people separate themselves into groups.

yeah but creating a false enemy is a pillar of seizing power in the authoritarian fascist playbook. his rhetoric on immigration is copied verbatim right out of that playbook.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Jesus Maria, Colorado is a battleground state now?  Didn't Biden win Colorado by like 10 points in 2020?

It’s pretty apparent to me people in the CR have drugs that work really well and should share with all of us. That’s why I am here. lol. I’m pleading my case. 

• Haha 2

The fact that there are still  Democratic politicians calling on him to drop out means he still hasn’t dropped out

This sentence confuses me. Of course he hasn't dropped out yet.

Y’alll are putting way too much trust in what the media are saying. The fact that there are still  Democratic politicians calling on him to drop out means he still hasn’t dropped out

I don't recall it was an article posted here. John King on CNN when doing his map math said their current "projections" included talking to both campaigns though. and CNN doesn't have many (or at least enough) swing states leaning Biden right now.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Jesus Maria, Colorado is a battleground state now?  Didn't Biden win Colorado by like 10 points in 2020?

No, that’s leaked donor horseshit trying to put their thumb on the scale.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, all the people in Colorado will say they’re getting flooded with Texans. So. 

• Rage+1 1

Random, but I watched a Curb episode the other night where one of the themes was "Once someone sees you as old and feeble, there's no going back. You will always be old and feeble to them."

"(sigh)"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I don't recall it was an article posted here. John King on CNN when doing his map math said their current "projections" included talking to both campaigns though. and CNN doesn't have many (or at least enough) swing states leaning Biden right now.

I see you watched that too last night. Sobering. He’s not Tim Russert (personal favorite RIP) but he’s really good and he’s spent a year working on this report. It knocked me out of my Trump speech coma last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This sentence confuses me. Of course he hasn't dropped out yet.

The group trying to push him out sets all kind of deadlines for Biden to drop out by. When their deadlines don’t get met, more politicians tell Biden to drop out.

No, that’s leaked donor horseshit trying to put their thumb on the scale.

I think there was some nonsense on CNN to this effect too. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was general lack of enthusiasm among volunteers and a shortage of them. it's terrible work, you really have to like the candidate or understand the duty at a deep level to engage that way. and without a likable candidate, duty won't get you enough of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah but creating a false enemy is a pillar of seizing power in the authoritarian fascist playbook. his rhetoric on immigration is copied verbatim right out of that playbook.

Not disagreeing with you, in fact I agree 100%.

Just saying it's reason 1 billion-ty that we're fucked as a species.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

You misunderstand me. I"m saying that quote means jack shit. The guy will deny deny deny until he drops out. Reporting is worthless on it. 

I'm actually 60/40 in thinking he stays. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The group trying to push him out sets all kind of deadlines for Biden to drop out by. When their deadlines don’t get met, more politicians tell Biden to drop out.

Correct, although I'm curious as to why you think this ultimately means Biden will be the candidate.

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Not disagreeing with you, in fact I agree 100%.

Just saying it's reason 1 billion-ty that we're fucked as a species.  

oh yeah, the reason it's in the fascist playbook is because of our tribal instincts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

30/70 IMO

You think there's only a 30% chance he stays? 

Legally, it would be a shitshow. But I think everyone who thinks he's lost a step, or has early onset, is overlooking how emotional an old fucking man can get. And irrtaional. It all goes out the window. That's a normal part of aging. And no one thinks that dynamic can exist in Joe Biden and this decision? I dunno man. 

• Like 1