2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

22 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Nah.  I’m not tryna roll up to the San Francisco DA’s office looking for somebody or have a beer with.  Tack on her being the child of 2 college profs and while she’d almost certainly be interesting to talk to, I doubt she’s “a gas”.  

Don't take me wrong.  I’m glad she’s the choice.  She’s capable.  She’s respectable.  She’s qualified.  She’s fit for the office.  And that’s enough.

I've had beers with female DAs (actually CAs, because Harris County)... Beers are one thing, but  I'm hoping I never need to call on them for 'assistance'.

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2024 at 2:46 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

I mean, is there a better nickname for fake hillbilly JD Vance than "Diet Mountain Dew"? I hope it sticks. Stupid moniker for a stupid asshole. 

This is fantastic. I'm going to make a "yes and" type suggestion. 

How about "Giant Mountain Douche"?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Where has this Democratic Party been all my life?

FIGHT

I'm old enough to recall a time when it felt a little like this. This sea change is awesome. Truly awesome.

This is a forceful expression of embracing citizenship and looking ahead. I also feel like the Dems have realized that they can sometimes place the common cause above their divergent interests and constituencies. I'll overstate it, but the herd of cats becomes a pride of lions. So thrilling.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

32 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I think the most simple answer is that they’re cocky and think they have it in the bag. The tone is set from the top down and trump doesn’t think there’s any chance he’ll lose 

either that or they’re planning a full blown coup 

It’s both. They’re cocky because they’re planning a coup. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s the damndest thing. I just drove across rural SW Colorado twice and I’m in Montrose county right now, which is solid 65-70% Republican. In 3 hours of driving, 100 days out, I saw ZERO evidence of MAGA. No flags, no signs, no hats, no stickers. Nothing. I even drove around the parking lot of gun depot. NADA. 

They will vote for him, but the enthusiasm just isn’t on that side. For the first time since 2008, the enthusiasm is here. 

Conversely; I was driving around Smith Mountain Lake Virginia last week and saw a maga flag every 5 feet, a trump bus, and a confederate flag that I highly considered burning late at night. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

nc7054nylr661.jpg

Or from someone's abuela who's selling them around the holidays.

That's one of my favorite things. My wife works with 1stgen, minority students and some days she'll come home with 6 dozen tamales.  

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

If Kerry wasn’t the first person I ever voted for I wouldn’t remember his name. 

Still, he was the far better candidate. The re-election of W was an abysmal moment for the country. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Conversely; I was driving around Smith Mountain Lake Virginia last week and saw a maga flag every 5 feet, a trump bus, and a confederate flag that I highly considered burning late at night. 

Hell my next door neighbor here at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront has his Maga shit out, but that is basically constant. Along with the two insane gay guys at the front of the neighborhood.

Edited by G650

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

This is fantastic. I'm going to make a "yes and" type suggestion. 

How about "Giant Mountain Douche"?

@Hank Kingsley  That post should've read "Diet Mountain Douche". 

3 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Vladimir Futon?

This is also awesome. 

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This is magical:

5e94219d08c771ba7e70f68162863df7.jpg

No one can be allowed to impede a gathering, huh? I mean…except treasonous insurrectionists trying to break up a convened Congress so it can’t perform its Constitutional duty to count votes…in that case, it’s totally cool to impede and try to murder the VP, and if anyone was convicted for that, we should pardon them.

Party of treason. 100%, not even 1% pro-American anymore.

Oh really…

IMG_6012.jpeg

Edited by TexEx15
  • Rage+1 4

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Would make things so much easier for Florida to reject him. Feels like there are too many rednecks, though. 

Yeah, I know a few people who moved there in the last 5 years to get away from "liberal dictatorships"

Saw this on Twitter, maybe it's a sign of things to come for Florida.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

By all means then, we should ignore it instead of making violators defend their behavior in court. 

At this point it should be clear even to you that our legal system has always depended on the precarious assumption that most people want to be good. It is wholly incapable of dealing with people like Trump. So with all due respect, fuck the legalese. You'd think your inability to see or admit to the blindingly obvious with Cannon would have been a wake up call. 

Legal systems exist to protect society and keep it orderly. Ours is utterly and completely failing to do so right now. The legal system is not worthy of respect or deference in and of itself, only insofar as it does its job. It isn't, so it shouldn't be respected until it corrects itself. 

That's a dandy rant.

But the fact remains that the statute has been on the books for 225 years in unaltered form, has been prosecuted twice in all that time, three years and 53 years after its enactment, with no convictions.

So I guess it is fear of backlash.

Or maybe it's a poorly thought out, loosely drafted criminal law.  We have quite a few of those.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

They appear to be recreating the Battle of Windy Point on that lake today. Let’s hope it goes well for them.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

33 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I've commented in the past about my work commute (17 miles, from one smallish town to another, through an even smaller town) and how many Trump flags were flying pre and post 2020.   Those folks never stopped flying a flag; they have just replaced (or in some instances, double and tripled down).  

Couple of weeks ago, I noticed a number of fresh flags.  I guess the shooting/convention bump was enough for them to hit up Amazon or wherever they get their shit from.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Or from someone's abuela who's selling them around the holidays.

That's one of my favorite things. My wife works with 1stgen, minority students and some days she'll come home with 6 dozen tamales.  

My go to taco truck does tamales in the winter. Always a winner

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

I had a friend who believed old people couldn’t get STDs….like it was impossible.

I no longer associate with that friend.

Because….?

The friend is an idiot?

Or because you think it’s a good idea to stop “associating” in case you catch a STD from said friend?

51 minutes ago, G650 said:

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving. Like the jelly of the month club

Gotta be careful.  We want him still on the ticket in November.  All of this reprehensible history means nothing if he "withdraws" tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

I’d like to know this answer as well…

This is why: The fascists will try to keep a state, or even multiple states, from certifying its electoral votes by keeping states tied up in court. It's a continuation of the January 6 coup. They've already filed at least a hundred lawsuits across the country about supposed illegal voting processes and a single ballot has yet to be cast. Their goal is to prevent states from certifying electoral votes. Under the Constitution, if a state hasn't declared its electoral college vote at least 6 days before December 17 then it may result in that state's votes not being cast. In such a case, the US HOR may get to decide the election. 

• Rage+1 5