2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus, Pete destroyed that lady.  It's so nice to see smart, coherent Dems on the attack -- Kamala, Pete, Tim Walz, you name it.  They are informed, they are prepared, and they keep their cool.

The old guard just fucking sucked. Effective legislators and executives, yes - Pelosi, Biden, etc. But this newer generation is just willing and ready to attack

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I mean if that has any kind of staying power and Harris can maintain something close to net neutral, the election is over. That's a pretty remarkable swing coming on the scene.

Feels like the Biden team really mismanaged her. She should have been out there and much more visible the last couple years. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I disagree.  They have played it perfectly.  Hiding her allowed her this moment to come out and leave people pleasantly surprised; there would be nowhere near this amount of excitement/momentum if she’d been out front the last 4 years.  It also prevented her from saying/doing something that could have taken this opportunity away from her.

If that’s true it was by design but just dumb luck.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Feels like the Biden team really mismanaged her. She should have been out there and much more visible the last couple years. 

Tying this back into my post last night; wonder if Joe just didn't want to play these kinds of games, or others within the campaign organization?  Because the energy has shifted.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1000x this. I have a conservative non Trumper friend who has always said this. He said he could’ve more easily convinced more of his skeptical conservative friends to get off the crazy train if she’d been out front more.

The other side of this is the gop would have run their quite effective misogyny machine on her like they did Hillary, AOC, etc. if she’s been more visible.

In any case I’m happy where we are now.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

1000x this. I have a conservative non Trumper friend who has always said this. He said he could’ve more easily convinced more of his skeptical conservative friends to get off the crazy train if she’d been out front more.

The other side of this is the gop would have run their quite effective misogyny machine on her like they did Hillary, AOC, etc. if she’s been more visible.

2020 was a very weird year.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Pete is so damn good at this. He beats Fox News at their own game. He makes them have to defend Trump's positions and record. It is so masterful. 

He's total POTUS material once (if) we can get the electorate comfortable with a gay man in that office.  I'm not holding my breath, but hey, Obama got elected twice, so you never know.

• Like 2

It won't be Shapiro. He'd alienate the base. Kelly would be problematic. I like Walz a lot from what little I've seen, and Buttigieg. Hopefully Walz doesn't have any strong negatives we don't yet know about. Buttigieg is a resident of PA now fwiw, from what I've read. Ditched Indiana. 

26 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They did, 4 years ago. She wasn’t very popular iirc, and that’s why they kept her in pocket. Shit, they are trying to hammer her on border czar shit as it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's total POTUS material once (if) we can get the electorate comfortable with a gay man in that office.  I'm not holding my breath, but hey, Obama got elected twice, so you never know.

My ideal situation for Pete is to get nominated to a bigger tier cabinet position in a Harris admin (SOS maybe?) and then transition to running for MI Gov in 2028. Or maybe he sits out for a bit and runs for MI SEN if Peters retires in 2026

Either of those could springboard him in a presidential primary in 2032

• Hook 'Em 3

“The thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes, black eyes like a dolls eyes.  When he comes at ya, doesn’t seem to be livin…until he bits ya, then those black eyes rollll over white”

I’ll run with a Quint quote as a parallel to the sudden surge of all this younger talent in the Dems sphere suddenly coming for the GOP

Edited by Homercles

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

It won't be Shapiro. He'd alienate the base. Kelly would be problematic. I like Walz a lot from what little I've seen, and Buttigieg. Hopefully Walz doesn't have any strong negatives we don't yet know about. Buttigieg is a resident of PA now fwiw, from what I've read. Ditched Indiana. 

Pete lives in Michigan. 

My VP rankings:

1. Walz

2. Buttigieg

3. Beshear 

4. Kelly

5. Cooper

6. Shapiro 

• Hook 'Em 2

As far as the electorate being comfortable with a gay candidate as either part of a presidential ticket- my initial thought is that more people would be comfortable with it if they were a single person that has come out as gay, but do not have a partner with which to hold hands or smooch on tv.  Does Pete have a partner?  It’s obviously completely unfair to ask that of a gay person running for high office, but is that the sacrifice the first openly gay president will have to make?  Or do we hope we (National electorate) can become better than that?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As far as the electorate being comfortable with a gay candidate as either part of a presidential ticket- my initial thought is that more people would be comfortable with it if they were a single person that has come out as gay, but do not have a partner with which to hold hands or smooch on tv.  Does Pete have a partner?  It’s obviously completely unfair to ask that of a gay person running for high office, but is that the sacrifice the first openly gay president will have to make?  Or do we hope we (National electorate) can become better than that?

I am 90% sure Pete's been married a long time

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

b85454ccd77abc625ec1c7c6f7c492a7.jpg

The problem to overcome is those that think cost of groceries = economy. And that trump will lower the cost of goods and services to when he was in office.  But not have the stock market or pay rate also reset. As if those costs ever go that direction.  I liked Clinton era costs, why not vote for Hillary?  

eta and those that believe whatever Trump and fnc say. Crime wave!  Border crisis!  But those people won’t be corrected or educated, they are what they are. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

The problem to overcome is those that think cost of groceries = economy. And that trump will lower the cost of goods and services to when he was in office.  But not have the stock market or pay rate also reset. As if those costs ever go that direction.  I liked Clinton era costs, why not vote for Hillary?  

Nobody in recent history has ever thought prices or crime were too low. It's something people find to bitch about when there aren't any real problems.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

Nobody in recent history has ever thought prices or crime were too low. It's something people find to bitch about when there aren't any real problems.

Certain pols not too long ago have been bitching about the price of crude oil being too low.  Can’t imagine why. 

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Unless youre a donor to Republicans and your profits aren't high enough. War on drugs exists in part to fund and fuel the private prison industry industrial complex

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If Buttigieg is Secretary of State, he’s qualified for POTUS.  He wouldn’t need a senate term or governorship.  Serving in 2 different cabinet positions in 2 different administrations is plenty for the resume.

It’s been a long time since anyone has gone from the cabinet to POTUS. He needs to run a race that isn’t a small town mayor 

• Hook 'Em 4

The very left of the Democratic Party still hates Pete. They would fall in line but it would stunt some of the overall enthusiasm if he was chosen as VP. It sucks but it is what it is. It's just not worth the risk to the Kamala campaign IMO when they know he can be so effective as a top surrogate.  

• Hook 'Em 2

They hate everything and purity test candidates to death. That's also why the very left will never win anything major. 

They’re also the reason that Kamala probably will not pick this election’s cheat code: a bipartisanly popular governor from the likely tipping state. It’s madness.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, naija said:

It's also why Shapiro would come with some hesitance. I detest those people.

Counterpoint: Shapiro doesn't belong in the same tier as Buttigieg. He authorized state paid hush money for a sexual assault by one of his top staffers. He licked the heels of Elise Stefanik. He cracked down on peaceful protests at Penn by actual students of Penn. He's only been gov for 18 months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only thing about Shapiro I like is the likely state he would bring in. You cannot win this election with PA. 

I don't think your need their governor to win the state. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, naija said:

It's also why Shapiro would come with some hesitance. I detest those people.

In my petty dream scenario, Kamala wins Arizona, Nevada, Georgia, and PA rendering all the whiny assholes in Michigan who plan to protest vote completely meaningless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only thing about Shapiro I like is the likely state he would bring in. You cannot win this election with PA. 

I agree about PA but Harris needs to win that on her own. PA/WI/MI will likely vote as a bloc yet again. If she can’t win PA, she’s not winning the other 2

Plenty of the candidates can speak to the WWC voters in those 3 states just as well as he can. Without his baggage and lack of a record 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Counterpoint: Shapiro doesn't belong in the same tier as Buttigieg. He authorized state paid hush money for a sexual assault by one of his top staffers. He licked the heels of Elise Stefanik. He cracked down on peaceful protests at Penn by actual students of Penn. He's only been gov for 18 months. 

Yeah, I think Shapiro is the riskiest VP candidate on the list. Also the last thing we need is a VP nominee that Republicans will tie to the Israel/Palestine conflict. That is understandably such a hot bed issue and inviting that to be a bigger part of this election is bad for everyone. 

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Walz and Pete are just absolutely COOKING wrt messaging. I can't get enough of them out there on TV reminding the electorate who the adults are in the room.

Better surrogates than VPs. I think Walz has some juice for VP though. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1