2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You can’t put someone on this ticket who paid hush money and got an NDA signed for a sexual harassment complaint 

You just can’t 

Well, an actually reasonable alternative explanation is that he settled a potential lawsuit (that's legit) and the terms of the settlement were confidential, including the identity of the complainant, which is legit and happens all the time in and out of the context of sexual harassment.

Can it and will it be spun the other way?  Bet your fur.  But before entirely condemning Shapiro, the above is a less-feverish explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, an actually reasonable alternative explanation is that he settled a potential lawsuit (that's legit) and the terms of the settlement were confidential, including the identity of the complainant, which is legit and happens all the time in and out of the context of sexual harassment.

Can it and will it be spun the other way?  Bet your fur.  But before entirely condemning Shapiro, the above is a less-feverish explanation.

Not worth the risk. We have the high ground on the issue, can’t concede it. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You can’t put someone on this ticket who paid hush money and got an NDA signed for a sexual harassment complaint 

You just can’t 

That's like Klobs last cycle when we found out she didn't prosecute some racist cops in Minny or something.  

If that's true about Shaprio, it's a deal breaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

As long as we talk about what's winnable and since it seems like Optimism Sunday on the thread today, here's another thing. Obama won Florida in 2008 and 2012, and Gillum came within .4% (33k votes out of >9m cast) in 2018, on the strength of black voter turnout, and the difference for Hillary Clinton in 2016, was that white turnout increased from 2012, and black turnout dropped. in 2020 there was a huge surge in turnout across the board, but the smallest surge was among black voters, which was above 2016 and 2018, but above 2012 levels.  Now loow at the difference between black turnout in 2018 vs 2014 and 2022.

The point is that it's reasonable to infer that having a black woman on the ballot matters, and that in a presidential year it matters a lot. Florida could be in play. 
image.thumb.png.97d7e596340d7cd5d1c1073d5850ec99.png

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

If I were a betting man, I’d say Kelly because he’s probably the most vetted, tested, beyond reproach, squeaky clean, boring white guy.  I got no problem with Walz, Cooper, or even Pete..  I just think Kelly is the safest and Dems usually go that way. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's the first time a lot of people have heard it, and it's the third time I've heard it today, which tells me somebody is pushing it.   PA is so important I still like Shapiro more than a Kelly nod, but Shapiro has downsides I wouldn't want unless there was upside to Shapiro that they couldn't get elsewhere. I do think Harris can win PA on her own with Casey on the ballot if she has momentum going into October and a good running mate who can do well in either Wisconsin and Michigan (Walz) or North Carolina and Georgia (Bashear and Cooper). 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The only thing about Shapiro I like is the likely state he would bring in. You cannot win this election without PA. 

I think the thing Shapiro gets you (besides PA) is the reason he does so well in PA.  From what little I have seen, I think he can help with the union/labor vote, which I think has slipped from the Dems in the last 20 years, and maybe the biggest gap with taking Biden off the ticket. That's important in PA, WI, and MI.  Big upside.  

But I don't think it is worth the baggage regarding the Palestinian/Israel issues.  I don't know if folks appreciate what a wedge issue that is, especially amongst the youth vote.  I assume the Dem strategy is to talk as little about it as possible.  Having Shapiro makes that impossible.  If she picks Shapiro, she better have a clear position on the conflict (including military and economic support for Israel), because otherwise it will be seen as a tacit acceptance of Shapiro's views, which includes arresting protesters.  I think that loses this election. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So it's been a couple of days since Trump said, with a perfect undamaged right ear, "Vote for me and you'll never have to vote again". How many calls have there been from the republican side for him to step down? Or, at the very least, to clarify exactly what he meant? Gotta be in the hundreds, I'd imagine. The party of law and order would not stand for that kind of talk from their nominee for president.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I disagree.  They have played it perfectly.  Hiding her allowed her this moment to come out and leave people pleasantly surprised; there would be nowhere near this amount of excitement/momentum if she’d been out front the last 4 years.  It also prevented her from saying/doing something that could have taken this opportunity away from her.

But you still don’t think she’s cool….

The Office Ryan GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

"So what you're saying is that Trump will do such an incredible job as president, that voting won't even be necessary any more after his four years are up? Does that make sense in your head, Senator?"

(... is what he didn't say. He instead thanked him and ended the interview.)

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

47 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's the first time a lot of people have heard it, and it's the third time I've heard it today, which tells me somebody is pushing it.   PA is so important I still like Shapiro more than a Kelly nod, but Shapiro has downsides I wouldn't want unless there was upside to Shapiro that they couldn't get elsewhere. I do think Harris can win PA on her own with Casey on the ballot if she has momentum going into October and a good running mate who can do well in either Wisconsin and Michigan (Walz) or North Carolina and Georgia (Bashear and Cooper). 

iirc there was an article published about Shapiro in The New Republic 4 days ago. Also as he's been frequently rumored as the top or best choice, people at bluesky are citing his pretty strong negatives. 

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I disagree.  They have played it perfectly.  Hiding her allowed her this moment to come out and leave people pleasantly surprised; there would be nowhere near this amount of excitement/momentum if she’d been out front the last 4 years.  It also prevented her from saying/doing something that could have taken this opportunity away from her.

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

If that’s true it was by design but just dumb luck.

4 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

1000x this. I have a conservative non Trumper friend who has always said this. He said he could’ve more easily convinced more of his skeptical conservative friends to get off the crazy train if she’d been out front more.

The other side of this is the gop would have run their quite effective misogyny machine on her like they did Hillary, AOC, etc. if she’s been more visible.

In any case I’m happy where we are now.

I wonder if the decision for Biden to drop out came much earlier but they held off until after the R convention. If not then happy coincidence but if I was in charge I would have planned it that way. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I'm liking Walz more and more, especially if we're leaning into contrasts
Harris is young, smart, energetic, black, and a prosecutor, while Trump is the opposite of all those things.
Walz is genuine, fun, witty, kind, and he looks older than he is, while Vance is the opposite of those things. He crushes the "beer test" in the Rust Belt, and probably also in the Sun Belt. Only reason not to go with Walz is if the background check turns up something bad

I dunno, be careful what you look for. That background check may reveal that one time, he opted for the grilled chicken sandwich instead of a cheeseburger at the local diner. That’s a commie move for sure.
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I dunno, be careful what you look for. That background check may reveal that one time, he opted for the grilled chicken sandwich instead of a cheeseburger at the local diner. That’s a commie move for sure.

Heard him on tv today talking about having a Juicy Lucy last night

Edited by tx ind
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

50 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So Florida has, please verify or correct me- 1) legal pot 2) abortion protection 3) POC at the top of the ticket all on the ballot in November?  

Yup.

It would be a blockbuster upset if either of the ballot measures pass due to needing 60% +1. However, IMHO, if the margin on that ends up anywhere close to passing, that means massive problems for the rest of the GOP ticket downballot. I don't know if that would get Harris across, but could it bury Tim Scott? Yup.

As for Walz, the only question mark I can remember is that he was falsely accused of embellishing his rank when he left the Minnesota National Guard. The public affairs officer made short work of the accusation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, GopherRock said:

Yup.

It would be a blockbuster upset if either of the ballot measures pass due to needing 60% +1. However, IMHO, if the margin on that ends up anywhere close to passing, that means massive problems for the rest of the GOP ticket downballot. I don't know if that would get Harris across, but could it bury Tim Scott? Yup.

As for Walz, the only question mark I can remember is that he was falsely accused of embellishing his rank when he left the Minnesota National Guard. The public affairs officer made short work of the accusation. 

Rick Scott. And dude lives and dies by 0.5-1.5% wins. He’s due to finally lose one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, tx ind said:

Heard him on tv today talking about having a Juicy Lucy last night

I grilled juicy Lucy's last night. The only catch is that the cheese filling temperature is roughly the same as the surface of Mercury, so be careful with the first few bites  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm liking Walz more and more, especially if we're leaning into contrasts

Harris is young, smart, energetic, black, and a prosecutor, while Trump is the opposite of all those things.

Walz is genuine, fun, witty, kind, and he looks older than he is, while Vance is the opposite of those things. He crushes the "beer test" in the Rust Belt, and probably also in the Sun Belt. Only reason not to go with Walz is if the background check turns up something bad

Fun fact: Walz and Harris are the same age, born six months apart.

Harris polling a point, maybe two, better than Biden and taking the conversation to flipping Texas is Surly coaching search thread energy for sure lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Astounding if true:

Reminder that 25th-ing Biden wouldn't have done anything to his status as the presumptive nominee and would have served essentially no purpose but to sew further chaos. If it looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit...

• Hook 'Em 6

Obama making the call seems like the first major sign of bullshit pot-stirring.  Hmmm if we were trying to pick out ONE Democrat to put front and center of a story like this most likely to inflame people who could it possibly be?  Oh yea the black guy who melted 40% of America's brains by daring to ascend to the highest office in the land.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Hersh was reputable 20 years ago. Today? Not so much.

Also noticed he’s 87 fucking years old. No way he’s connected still 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

I do like this guy a lot. Don't run from your record of...checks notes...feeding school children. Not being a shitbag should be an asset.

I’ll use that word again, the dude is a wiseacre.   And is gonna fuck them up

• Hook 'Em 2

Picking Petefor VP is a high risk high reward option. I think Pete is the best politician out there right now, but I don’t know how much him being gay hurts the vote, vs how good of a communicator he is helps the vote. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Not worth the risk. We have the high ground on the issue, can’t concede it. 

And even though Twice’s explanation is technically correct, it will have as much traction with most people as our attempts to explain legal proceedings in the Trump thread. Best to avoid the discussion entirely.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1