2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

53 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I genuinely don't think an amendment is going to be fruitful, it's too easy to block and all the (R) states will simply out of spite

I think the point is to get them to vote against it, not an expectation that it’s going to pass. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Laughing at the retards on the right is the right move.  Gotta come up with more ways to do it.  “They’re weird” doesn’t have enough legs for 100 more days. 

I'm sure Trump and Vance will give the Dems plenty of fresh material over the next three months.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Laughing at the retards on the right is the right move.  Gotta come up with more ways to do it.  “They’re weird” doesn’t have enough legs for 100 more days. 

They’re setting the narrative. Now we can just sit back and watch Trump and his cultists being weird. They’ll keep reinforcing the message organically. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

A lesson from Venezuela (and 2022 midterms): 

Maduro and his party used poll-spamming by low quality pollsters showing him in the lead to muck up the averages/narratives and make it look he was legitimately winning 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

I genuinely don't think an amendment is going to be fruitful, it's too easy to block and all the (R) states will simply out of spite

Two aspects. One the ability to actually get an amendment passed. Two, getting the Republicans to agree that they do not want common sense laws/amendments. Given this is an election thread, I see the latter as a great issue for the Democrats. For Harris, having Biden push an agenda gives her great control of the issue on the campaign trail. If something is popular, she and Biden can put her out front of it. If something is not as popular, Harris can ignore it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Biden going after other issues that would prove to be popular. Like marijuana legality reform. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Don't the MAGAs love that "makers vs. takers" line?  Cities are, and have been for decades, the economic engine of this country.  The LIE about how "hardworking rural farmers on their tractors, people of the land" are the bedrock of our nation is just that.  A lie.  Not that EVERYONE isn't important, and not that EVERYONE doesn't have a role.  They do.  But the "makers vs. takers" shit is and always has been a lie.  

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

always make fun of Fascists, because they absolutely hate being laughed at

And this.  It's part of how you handle bullies.  Mock them, laugh at them, and when the time is right, punch them in the fucking nose and laugh at them when they go down like a piece of tissue paper.  These aren't "alpha badasses."  They're a collection of weird, socially maladjusted losers.  Treat them as such.  Relentlessly.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Presidential candidates use elections to lobby for things al the time that have no chance of passing.

Biden using this to generate a conversation, get some Dems in Congress on record, use it as a wedge against the GOP, is great.

If anything, it *could* lead to something much more “palatable” being proposed in the next Congress that has a chance of passing, i.e., maybe some people balk at term limits but that leads to mandatory retirement age on the judiciary or something. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

60k for the white dudes for Kamala tomorrow. The women more than doubled that. That is why we need women in leadership. They actually do shit.

Over 70K this morning. I signed up last night. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

"They're creeps" should be next.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Kamala calling every state-level abortion ban a “Trump abortion ban” is great marketing too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They’re setting the narrative. Now we can just sit back and watch Trump and his cultists being weird. They’ll keep reinforcing the message organically. 

It's that simple. They've set the frame that Trumpists are weird, so that's what a lot of people will see when it presents itself. It's like the illusory ebil lib Rush and the boys invented except that this frame is based in actual truth and easily observed evidence.

I would one day like to know the coordination of this wave of new Dem speakers who are moving to the front. To what degree, if any, was it planned to frame the Trumpists this way and using what language. If it is planned, it's brilliant. If it's not planned, it's brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They should probably find a way to mix up the wording on essentially the same message. I'm just waiting for some young liberals to start whining because "weird" is something that people started to take pride in as in somewhat different in a good way. The context here is of course easy to see, but the "purity test" segment of the young progressives will always find something to avoid participating in the process while failing to see what we're facing if this election is lost.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

It's not enough to simply push back on the right's bizarre obsession with subjugating women.  The men on the left need to testify to the strength their mothers, sisters, and wives (well, not Pete) exhibit in keeping their family life on track.  Our household would completely fall apart if not for my wife, because I'm relentlessly single-minded and would do shit like forget to pay the mortgage or get the cars inspected (oops), but she handles it all AND works a full time job.  This isn't ephemeral fluff, this is a fact -- women multitask better than men and are often great leaders because of it.  They sure don't need to be relegated to "trad wife" roles or whatever that bullshit of the week is.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

They should probably find a way to mix up the wording on essentially the same message. I'm just waiting for some young liberals to start whining because "weird" is something that people started to take pride in as in somewhat different in a good way. The context here is of course easy to see, but the "purity test" segment of the young progressives will always find something to avoid participating in the process while failing to see what we're facing if this election is lost.

They're totally not brat.

(Did I do that right?)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Great move by Biden to go for constitutional amendments for removing presidential immunity and term limits for the Supreme Court. Look forward to the gop stance how both are bad.

there are some good aspects to having an old, lame duck president. They can go after legacy items and not worried about future elections or lining their own pocket.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I'm not seeing how term limits are a solution to the SCOTUS problem we're currently facing. It will still be a crap shoot about who is in office when the term is up, and the electoral college is still problematic because only republicans can win the office without the popular vote. Not to mention that confirmation lies with the Senate, which is also unfairly gives small red states way too much power. I think it's also a legitimate concern that the amendment could never, ever, in a million years pass the states. It would be another line of attack in 2028 that Biden/Kamala/Dems "lied" by not implementing term limits for SCOTUS-remember, most voters are morons and don't see the nuance of putting it out there vs. getting it passed, and have no understanding about the limits of presidential powers (a problem that has driven me crazy for decades when it comes to presidential campaigns). I think it would be far more feasible and effective to add seats to the court, because that can be done if you win Congress and doesn't require an amendment to the constitution. It's also very much justified after Moscow Mitch literally stole a pick from Obama. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

A lesson from Venezuela (and 2022 midterms): 

Maduro and his party used poll-spamming by low quality pollsters showing him in the lead to muck up the averages/narratives and make it look he was legitimately winning 

This is one of the things I theorized in this thread while Biden was still in the race and why I still felt that he'd win.  A lot of the poll results didn't add up and I thought that all the results couldn't be explained by non-response and small sampling.  I thought there were some intentionally poorly designed polls skewing results for a specific GQP objective but didn't dig deep enough to try and find reporting or evidence of it.

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

"goofy" has entered the chat 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Okie State said:

I'd love to hear Trump's plan to lower grocery prices. I'm sure it's well thought out and full of details.

Here comes another temporary $100 monthly tax cut, while trying to ensure a permanent cut for the rich.  Time to lift the yoke to readjust the straps.  You'll feel better but the yoke will be heavier upon its reissuance.    

• Rage+1 1

If Trump ever mentioned grocery store prices in a debate, I would ask him if he's ever been in a grocery store in his life. 

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Creepy needs to be a mainstay, as well.  Weird. Goofy. Creepy:  the GQP in 3 words.

Add in "sus" for the younger crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm reminded, obviously, of the line in Independence Day, when one dude says "The Americans are mounting a counter attack" and another dude replies "It's about time." It's about fucking time, dems. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zonahorn said:

Holy shit

It was Trump's idea and Biden went along with it. The problem is that there is no clean way to unoccupy a country that doesn't want your way of life. To me, both Biden and Trump own the withdrawal debacle but what was the alternative? 

not to mention that the failure goes back to Bush in that he invaded a country with a withdrawal plan that we would be greeted as liberators. spoiler alert: we weren't.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's that simple. They've set the frame that Trumpists are weird, so that's what a lot of people will see when it presents itself. It's like the illusory ebil lib Rush and the boys invented except that this frame is based in actual truth and easily observed evidence.

I would one day like to know the coordination of this wave of new Dem speakers who are moving to the front. To what degree, if any, was it planned to frame the Trumpists this way and using what language. If it is planned, it's brilliant. If it's not planned, it's brilliant.

Do you know what else is in play?

Making people think to themselves, “I don’t want other people to think I’m weird…”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, immamac said:

Buttigieg doesn't have baggage that isn't known and actually matters for credentials getting shit done. 

He's done an incredible job with transportation and it's biggest budget in decades. It cannot be understated how much he's changed so fast and how much he's deployed in a measurable and productive way. 

But he kissed his spouse on stage and a big chunk of the population felt uncomfortable.  And you know how they are with uncomfortable history books, so they basically would push the same agenda against Pete indoctrinating their kids.  I can't speak for the minority populations, but would they be accepting?  I love Pete, but am wondering if America is ready for an openly gay VP, or even President first, and second, why take the risk when you have others that are great too?

• Hook 'Em 1