2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Gay people are icky.

I think that’s the big objection. Whether they admit it or not.

Also, “the border” (as a cover for deep-seated racism, which many Americans still hold). That’s part of it.

It’s mostly that they’ve bought in to non-issues that the extreme right has made into issues. Woke gay trans BLM open borders and such.

that's not good enough. there has to be more.

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

All very valid points.

I’m just trying to make the case that it’s very hard to change people’s opinions once they’ve made up their minds to believe whatever it is they’ve decided to believe.

Forget ideology for a minute and let’s talk about practicality. There are a bunch of moderate Rs that don’t like Trump that can swing the election. Figure out how to put forth a narrative that makes them feel like there is a reason to vote D that they can feel ok about and you’ll win the election. That’s what counts. Ideology doesn’t mean shit if you don’t win.

Doubling down harder on your position may feel good to do, but it’s not going to win the swing voters. There will always be competing opinions and agendas in politics. It’s as old as time and will never go away. But those the figure out how to build a coalition will be the ones that win elections.

The Rs could do this too, but I’m certain they are too stupid to figure it out. I’m just hoping Kamala and her team are smart and play the chess match to win.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled ideology discussions….

I am no way saying we don't need everyone (insert gary oldman gif here) to win this election for the sake of sanity. I just can't rectify the going back part. what's to go back to?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

I'm pretty sure all sides having been doing it forever.  "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" was delivered at a church.  Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pastor and churches were frequently used for meetings.  I remember nuns getting arrested for anti-nuke protests when I was a kid.  

I don't feel any great need to dictate that church leaders need to steer clear of politics.  They are people, and theoretically have values and goals that overlap with politics. But, yeah, they should pay taxes.  

Yep. There's no way to stop it, but the danger comes when someone from the pulpit claims a policy or person is the choice of God. As we've seen, this leads to politics becoming a religious rite to appeal to God, and, before you know it, God's actual intent and meaning fall away.

WWJD? He wouldn't impose cruelty on refugees and other poor souls seeking help. He wouldn't privilege one class or nationality or race above another. He'd drop a divine turd on Donald Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

So after all the time and effort to convict DT the galaxy brain strategy is to pivot from "criminal" to "weird".

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

I mean the convictions have all been successful. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm fine with either but on thing going for Bashear is he's, quite frankly, good looking and has a good looking family.  (Sorry that matters.)  Same applies to Harris as well.  She's attractive and telegenic.

Compare that to the opposite ticket of Dotard and the Incel Care Bear.

Yep.

Don't forget in his race from 2019 to 2023, he flipped quite a few more Eastern KY coal counties.  He won the 6th congressional district by 18 points (R+9 district) and only lost the 4th by 4 points (R+19 district), the 1st by 12 points (R+24 district), and the 2nd by 8 points (R+21 district).  The 3rd district is D+9 and he won it 71-29. 

He can absolutely speak to WWC voters in the Midwest + western NC

He won't help flip Ohio (Jesus wouldn't be able to do that) but he might help enough for Sherrod Brown to win his race.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Recall in 2020 there was no Republican platform. It was only whatever Trump felt like at the moment. That’s what I think Project 2025‘s biggest flaw was to them: It was in writing.

People are allergic to a plan in writing, don't get me wrong I love a good logical plan, but project 2025 is like impotent rage and violent execution put in writing, it is a dumb plan with a dumb publisher that put it in writing.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Just a reminder that Harris has been the presumptive nominee for over a week and the GOP still doesn't have any substantive attack on her. 

They had 4 years to put together an oppo file on her (and any other potential contender, like Newsom, Whitmer, Walz, Cooper, etc., considering Biden's age) and yet... 

They have an oppo file on her, as well as everybody you mentioned.  Probably a few hundred pages at minimum.  I have a buddy who works at a data analytics company that caters to politicians, and they contribute to such collections of information.

But Trump and the others don't have time to read all that and their audiences don't want to process that, they just want to get their 30-second sound bite off for social media or whatever.   Trump could be out there talking about how Harris as DA maybe prosecuted this or that group more than she should have, but his audience's eyes would glaze over until he shouted out "DEI" and "Joe and the Hoe".

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

And after all the time and effort pretending to investigate Joe and convicting Hunter for tax problems, the pivot is to "women without children are psychopaths and can't be leaders and all minorities in high positions are DEI."

Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

This'll get us back in the game!

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I'd bet a fair bit of the "gay people are icky" aspect is of the dost protest too much variety.  Some of the most homophobic people I grew up with ended up being gay or bi-sexual.  But because of their conservative upbringing they not only hid it but were vocally anti-gay.

I realized at one point that all the gay bashers stridently claiming being gay was a choice should not be dismissed out of hand. What do they base this on? One can only conclude that they have faced that choice and decided that they want to be heterosexual.

A clever friend of mine was with some conservatives many years ago. The conservos were insisting it was a choice. My friend suggested, "Okay. If it's a choice, why don't we all choose to be gay for the next 15 minutes." I've remembered that because it was, IMHO, brilliant.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Disappointed it's not Walz but Beshar is a good move if that's the plan. Red State Governor who can appeal to the middle. I've heard from people in Kentucky that south Pennsylvania is referred to as Pennsytucky because they share a lot of the same demos. If he can appeal to that portion and help wrap up PA then let's go. Walz will be there to help out. 

Southwest PA is a little different than the rest of rural PA. PA used to be referred to as a T because the southeast corner was Philly and suburbs and strongly democrat. Southwest PA was the land of steel mills and coal mines and unions. It was a place where unions made a real fucking difference in towns where they’d send young kids into the mines and people worked long hours 6 days a week and were in debt to the company store. It’s a place where the changes that unions ushered in made a massive positive difference in people’s lives. And because of that it was solidly democratic from FDR through Kerry. McGovern was the only democrat that lost southwestern PA I’m that time. In that respect it has a lot in common with WV and eastern Kentucky. WV was a swing state and blue more often than not for most of the 20th century. 

And then a black man ran for president and SW PA was lost for at least a generation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If Project 2025 was popular, Trump would have embraced it.  When somebody around him saw that it was turning off a shitload of people, it had to go.

They'd already lied about it not being part of the campaign. Why should anyone take this denial seriously? 

That's a map to hell in your hand.

I disavow this map.

But you still have it.

No, I don't...

It's just not the positive that they assumed it would be with the same inability to read a room as individual Trumpists who bleat on and on thinking everyone must surely agree with them.

• Hook 'Em 8

24 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Just call him a liar. Once he gets in office, it’s a project 2025 full steam ahead. Hammer that point.

Ab-so-fucking-lutely.   I think Pete said it best:

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Now press him on if he plans on hiring any of the P2025 guys into his administration.   "Shutting down the website" isn't enough.   

he'll just lie about it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Now press him on if he plans on hiring any of the P2025 guys into his administration.   "Shutting down the website" isn't enough.   

Does anyone remember this stunt?

donald-trump-news-conference-2-148416753

Exact same thing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

The overarching theme of this stuff, whether it was the "childless cat ladies" soundbite, his attempt at clarifying that, or this new one, is that JD Vance seems to think he is the first person to ever have children or have children that they care about in their life. Major "tech bro discovers parenthood" vibes.

I don't know how this guy hasn't died of asphyxiation from the enormous volume of his own farts he seems to have huffed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

The overarching theme of this stuff, whether it was the "childless cat ladies" soundbite, his attempt at clarifying that, or this new one, is that JD Vance seems to think he is the first person to ever have children or have children that they care about in their life. Major "tech bro discovers parenthood" vibes.

I don't know how this guy hasn't died of asphyxiation from the enormous volume of his own farts he seems to have huffed.

don't give him a pass on this. he's just a horrible person who looks down on other people - for a whole host of reasons. My future BIL quipped while drunk one time, "Parents are just better people." I think there are a lot of people who have had children that feel that they are simply better humans by virtue of having had children - most just don't say it out loud. Even fewer say it on a microphone while running for office. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

don't give him a pass on this. he's just a horrible person who looks down on other people - for a whole host of reasons. My future BIL quipped while drunk one time, "Parents are just better people." I think there are a lot of people who have had children that feel that they are simply better humans by virtue of having had children - most just don't say it out loud. Even fewer say it on a microphone while running for office. 

Yeah, I always read headlines about those parents that murder their child via neglect or abuse and think "they're such better people than me!" 

15 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Ab-so-fucking-lutely.   I think Pete said it best:

When the host tells Pete that Senators Johnson and Moscow Mitch didn’t vote for the immigration bill because it had bad stuff in it, Pete really needed to ask her what that bad stuff was.  I mean it was a softball for Pete to say, “well since you are a real news network allegedly, what exactly were those things in the final immigration bill that caused the Republicans to not vote for it.  I am sure someone on your network asked for specifics since you are supposed to be reporters and newspeople and didn’t just take their word on that, right?”  

• Hook 'Em 6

Morning Consult Swing State Polls - these are wild. 

All Swing States - Harris 48, Trump 47

Arizona Harris +2
Georgia TIE
Michigan Harris +11 (lol)
Nevada Harris +2
NC Trump +2
PA Trump +4
Wisconsin Harris +2

This, if true, would put the Electoral College at 268 Harris, 254 Trump, whoever gets Georgia wins

But I mean....no way Harris is up 11 in Michigan, and other than PA and MI, all of the rest look very realistic 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Js1 said:

Morning Consult Swing State Polls - these are wild. 

All Swing States - Harris 48, Trump 47

Arizona Harris +2
Georgia TIE
Michigan Harris +11 (lol)
Nevada Harris +2
NC Trump +2
PA Trump +4
Wisconsin Harris +2

This, if true, would put the Electoral College at 268 Harris, 254 Trump, whoever gets Georgia wins

But I mean....no way Harris is up 11 in Michigan, and other than PA and MI, all of the rest look very realistic 

THE REALEST “POLE” EVER

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I firmly expect that Brisket is ok with several variants of this. 

I mean, sure....but I don't make t-shirts and shit about it.  I'm not weird.  Sick, sure.  But not weird.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3