2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

Just now, chainsaw said:

I get this. Right now, Kamala's team needs to strategize better over this. She ought to talk with Beto's 2018 team about how to discuss the issue. I'm not thinking about the honeymoon period, I'm thinking about October. This can and will be a problem for her campaign if she plays it poorly.

No, you don't get it. What is your message that is better? Oh, you don't have one? Of course you don't. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

They will not stay home this election. 

I think the far left is starting to open their eyes, although very slowly. Bernie is still their North Star, and he's 80+ year old at this point (love Bernie, fyi). I think AOC has kind of disappointed them as they see she kinda has to be more normie in order to get anywhere in Congress. 

Leftists really like Tim Walz. The dude was a member of the NRA 10 years ago, so he's not a lefty lifer like Bernie. But he's actually got shit done in Minnesota, and they're starting to see that results are better to fight for right now than dreams. 

They will vote. They will enthusiastically and loudly vote with Walz on the ticket. 

It looks like she will pick Shapiro if the news is any indication

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This.  It's annoying as fuck, but win the election first and then we can try to re-educate these idiots about what the real dangers are.  You aren't going to convince them the border isn't a problem in 3 months.

That’s because the border didn’t become a problem in 3 months or 3 years even. It’s been a problem that Congress refuses to address for the most craven of political purposes.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Illegal immigration and fixing the border is the second most important issue to swing state voters behind inflation/the economy. Mainly due to baseless fear mongering from Republicans that has leaked into the mainstream as crime is down but well...its an important to many to seem tough on migrants.

Screenshot_20240730_212955_YouTube.jpg.2150623d3ae1dd755c898da50fc75cc0.jpg

I think you are underestimating the abortion issue which is going to play a huge role in this election-

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Link?

The first stop on the tour next week is Philly. A Harris aide said don’t read into the schedule as clues to who she’s picking. 

A reminder that Romney introduced Ryan in Virginia, the state where McDonnell, seen as a top 3 choice for VP, sat as governor. The location doesn’t matter. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I find it a bit incredulous that one can seriously think, that while trying to shore up a VP pick, get a streamlined message out and god knows what else, that Beto's campaign from 2018 is at the forefront of anyone's mind at the upper echelons of the DNC

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

As Carville famously said: "You've got Pittsburgh on the left, Philadelphia on the right, and Mississippi in the middle".

It's Bama. Found the original quote on Wikipedia:

"Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks. They didn't film The Deer Hunter there for nothing – the state has the second-highest concentration of NRA members, behind Texas."

For North Alabama, that's dead-on. If you got kidnapped by a PA/AL cartel and dumped in the woods of either state in your underwear you'd be hard-pressed to tell where you were until you tried to buy beer in a gas station. Beer = Bama. No Beer but it's a Sheetz or a Wawa = Penna.

(Let me get this tweed jacket on and light this pipe) Beyond that, Carville actually got it backwards. It's Alabama that's Pennsylvania minus Philly and Pennsylvania Dutch. When central PA was first settled it was heavy with Irish types who had 8 kids, and some went west, some stayed home, and the rest piled down along the Appalachian ridges through all those states and the last one was Bama. (There's hill in Mississippi that they sometimes claim as the end of the Appalachians-- they lie.)

• Hook 'Em 2

I love me some Senator Warnock.  Is he going to have to stick to being Harris' surrogate in GA or can he be weaponized across the Sun Belt?  He's a good aspirational messenger for her as a counterweight to the bulldogs Walz, Buttigieg, and Shapiro.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I hope all those Jill Stein voters enjoyed 2017-2021.

crushed noo GIF

If not Jill Stein voters, one of Jill's dinner companions a few years back certainly did enjoy it.

spacer.png

Useful idiots and whatnot.

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

This was a tight 20 minutes. No electric shark or Hannibal Lector talk. 

She’s going to win Georgia. 

She's given the exact same speech every single day, verbatim.  Needs to add a few new wrinkles.

7 minutes ago, tx ind said:

She's given the exact same speech every single day, verbatim.  Needs to add a few new wrinkles.

Maybe riff on choosing between getting eaten by a shark or electrocuted by a boat battery? Maybe windmills causing cancer and killing birds. I’m not sure. I’m still workshopping these.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yeah, Harris isn't going to be some savant on the campaign trail.  She still has all the problems that plagued her when she was gaining 1% of the vote to be the Democratic nominee back when.  

Luckily, the guy she's running against is a rapist, pedophile, Russian asset, insurrectionist felon who clearly ain't all there upstairs anymore, if he ever was.  Of course, the Democrats are so incompetent they can fuck up a wet dream.  So I don't think there's any need to get fancy here.  She just needs to 3 yards and a cloud of dust this thing until November.    

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

What the fuck does he think black people do for work that migrants will come in and take their jobs away? 

He literally thinks that black people are out in the fields picking cotton, so all those brown ag laborers are gonna TAKE THEIR JERBS!!!

He’s the dumbest racist piece of shit to ever run for an office higher than county ditch warden.
Yeah, Harris isn't going to be some savant on the campaign trail.  She still has all the problems that plagued her when she was gaining 1% of the vote to be the Democratic nominee back when.  
Luckily, the guy she's running against is a rapist, pedophile, Russian asset, insurrectionist felon who clearly ain't all there upstairs anymore, if he ever was.  Of course, the Democrats are so incompetent they can fuck up a wet dream.  So I don't think there's any need to get fancy here.  She just needs to 3 yards and a cloud of dust this thing until November.    

Execute. Mercilessly. With no pauses or hesitation. Just jam the ball down their throat, play after play after play.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He literally thinks that black people are out in the fields picking cotton, so all those brown ag laborers are gonna TAKE THEIR JERBS!!!

Looking forward to the next GOP talking point.

"Before 1865 the black unemployment rate was 0%"

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

How can they possibly believe we were more respected under him?

They think he's a strong, successful businessman--and the rest of the world perceives him as such--because he played one on television. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh that I agree, stay pissed and vigilant.  But the fact is this is momentum the Democratic party has not had since Obama.

I'm seeing people enthused about Kamala that I didn't think really gave a shit about politics, so that's good.  I'm not seeing a lot of the MAGA in my life plastering their social media/FB with Trump shit like in 2016 and especially 2020 - not that they won't vote, but they used to be like fucking cross fitters and wouldn't shut the fuck up about it.

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Even FoxNews seems to be calling out the flailing Trump party...and not because they don't love them some Trump...I think they're just realizing what's best for their bottom line.  And they're all 'me' people, that we know...

Four years of a Black woman in the White House would help Fox News pay off some of those lawsuits, as well as upcoming lawsuits.

Just Saying Bernie Sanders GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I always get the impression that Lankford is a decent person.  He's nice and sort of repulsed by the POSs he represents.  Yet he somehow convinced them to elevate him.

He's a piece of shit.  Full stop. 

Read his record

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

don't give him a pass on this. he's just a horrible person who looks down on other people - for a whole host of reasons. My future BIL quipped while drunk one time, "Parents are just better people." I think there are a lot of people who have had children that feel that they are simply better humans by virtue of having had children - most just don't say it out loud. Even fewer say it on a microphone while running for office. 

I'm not giving him a pass at all. It's a phenomenally twisted, apparently at least somewhat sincerely held stance - which seems to be an outlier for him - that also fails to withstand even basic logical scrutiny.

4 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I just like how she takes Trumps perceived strength on the issue and sticks it up his ass. 

In case you are wondering, I think the last few pages have proved why I think it's a good ad for a targeted audience, but probably shouldn't be a centerpiece of her campaign.  

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You and dozens of other people think this. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You’re not “the base.” You’re comfortably left of Ilhan Omar. So you don’t have any accurate perspective of what “the base” thinks. Your political views are a minority and generally upset the base who we actually need to win this election. 

everyone here thinks immigrants play a key part of this economy and are a net good. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have policies in place as opposed to “fuck it, let them across and don’t bother doing anything. 

Actually, there were a lot of people pissed about it, including the ACLU and most immigrant advocacy groups.  Let me repeat: groups whose entire charter is to help immigrants were pissed about Biden's jump to the right on the issue. Obviously, it's not a big issue to you, but it is to them. It would have continued to build the wall, beefed up the deeply flawed Border Patrol, loosened the hiring standards for BP, increased the burden of proof for asylum seekers, and allowed rejection of asylum seekers without a day in court.  It had some good stuff too, but it didn't have a path to citizenship for Dreamers, which was always a major negotiation point, even during Trump's presidency.  

I'm going to vote for Kamala barring some insane shift in her position, or a serious mental health issue on my part.  I assume chainsaw will as well.  The people on this board are not the concern.  But if this compromise made so much sense, the Dems would have offered up years ago. They only did so now because they were getting hammered on the border politically and Biden tied it in with support for Ukraine. Trump has changed how the Democrats approach immigration policy, and that pisses me off.  I think Harris's position makes sense to politically to blunt Trump's attack, but she needs to be careful on it. 

Also, a few pages back there was some shit how we should "just let it go" when disaffected Republicans talk about their Republican beliefs on Twitter, because they might vote for Harris.  Ok.  But in the interest of coalition building, perhaps that should also be applied to the actual Democrats expressing Democratic beliefs.  

6 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

She still has all the problems that plagued her when she was gaining 1% of the vote to be the Democratic nominee back when.

You either didn’t watch her back then or you’re not watching her now. 

38 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Too bad GOP election officials in the state will prevent it from being certified. 

What is this fear mongering? Yall really think Biden would allow this? If anyone tries anything that even seems remotely fucked, you arrest them.