2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'd be good Beshear but don't understand the thinking that he has everyman vibes. He looks like a model for North Face vests with a single digit handicap. 

Aka, clean cut Americana. Doesn’t scare anyone off. Very relatable in the suburbs 

• Hook 'Em 4

negatives - too handsome and has always been either a politician or a lawyer.

what in the world.

meanwhile, going to see if there are any great responses to the piece about Shapiro. Because it seems a lot of the problem for some people, with regards to him and Israel,  is simply that he is Jewish 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Are you from Kentucky?  I know he does a great job of getting otherwise right leaning whites to vote for him.  Why is that?

No, but I lived in rural Kentucky for the 2 years between 2018 and 2020.

His dad was a very popular Governor so he had a bit of a tail wind from that, but mostly it was kinda like Biden in 2020... the incumbent (Bevin) was one of the least popular governors in the country at the time.  But Andy still barely won.  I don't recall the exact count, but it was fewer than 10k votes.

During his reelection last year, his opponent was a black man who was basically handpicked by Moscow Mitch.  Beshear crushed him.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

No, but I lived in rural Kentucky for the 2 years between 2018 and 2020.

His dad was a very popular Governor so he had a bit of a tail wind from that, but mostly it was kinda like Biden in 2020... the incumbent (Bevin) was one of the least popular governors in the country at the time.  But Andy still barely won.  I don't recall the exact count, but it was fewer than 10k votes.

During his reelection last year, his opponent was a black man who was basically handpicked by Moscow Mitch.  Beshear crushed him.

Should mention his 2023 opponent was the sitting AG as well 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Aka, clean cut Americana. Doesn’t scare anyone off. Very relatable in the suburbs 

I don't know, feels a little privilege-y to me when you add in that his dad was Governor. But I digress. Not that big of a deal. 

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

the confidence of a winner.

It's a mighty fine line between confidence and arrogance. Arrogance is how a campaign is talked into selecting JD Vance. Confidence (I hope) is how a campaign is not talked out of selecting Walz or Beshear.

16 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm glad she can back it up. But holy shit this would have been worse than "inventing the internet." And I would feel much better if we had actual video of her walking the tunnels

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

The Louvre....is literally full of art showing balls.  If you walked through and counted the nads in view in the Louvre, I'm pretty sure the number would look a lot like VY's total offensive yards per game.

Also all the dicks and balls are dirty from people touching them 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Should mention his 2023 opponent was the sitting AG as well 

True.  And an unpopular one.  IIRC he actually took over as AG when Beshear ran for Gov.

To be clear, I would love Beshear as the VP... he's my clear #2 choice.  I just really like Gov. Walz, but understand that he's older and not as attractive, which, unfortunately, is a factor.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

True.  And an unpopular one.  IIRC he actually took over as AG when Beshear ran for Gov.

He won with 58% of the vote when Beshear won his first term. Same election 

My wife went to dinner last night with some friends for a birthday. 3 of them are Trump voters historically. One of the trump voters who committed fraud during covid on her mortgage and a few other things that are really just shitty asshole behavior who justified it with "well the government never gives me money so I'm gonna do this now because they aren't checking anything" now has to sell said house due to a messy divorce for a substantial (40%+) loss because they bought at the peak of interest rates and the austin market. She was lamenting the situation with my wife and said "well hopefully after the election and trump wins the economy will get fixed and the house will be worth more again" to which my wife replied "you do understand that the economy is booming and unemployment is very low right now?" and then she followed it up with "you also realize Kamala is in the race and Trump doesn't have a chance anymore right?" obviously paraphrasing from what my wife told me, but this exchange was hilarious. Out of the 3 trumper girls 1 said she's voting for Kamala and the one in question said she's undecided and the one who no one even wanted at dinner because she's psychotic and claims in her currently messy divorce in which she has no custody or parental rights over her step children that "the kids will come live with her because they like her better than both their parents". 

That's what's happening in the real world. Shitty husbands of divorced battered women controlling their worldview and the one that is single and was a trumper/republican is saying she's not down for the clown show currently. This seems to be the new norm for the millennials I've interacted with. Shit has gotten too crazy for normal people who actually care to vote for trump and the only people left are the ones that have something seriously wrong with them and treat it like a cult/religion that will solve all problems.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

13 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Just wait until you hear about this stupid lady who sued McDonalds because "her coffee was too hot".... 

I'm thinking you meant to direct that to the guy I was responding to but yeah...the difference between the two is "invented the internet" was to win an election by making an opponent sound extreme when you have nothing to offer the US, and the "coffee too hot" bs was to destroy the rights of private citizens to receive adequate compensation when they've been physically harmed and to discourage similar future behavior e.g. see the dipshit governor of Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

They have literally nothing by lies to try and run on. What a fucking joke.

I mean, the catholic hater who's the VP of the 2nd (I think) catholic president ever? She also hates the jews so much she married one.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I found the opening ceremonies full of artistic choices that made me think “hm”.  

it will not have an appreciable effect on who I think should be directing US policy over the next four years. 

But the conversations around it will remind you of the backwardness and overall goddamsonovabithinshitassbastardness of much of our society.  And this experience does have a voting effect, at least on good people.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did some quick googling and guess what the harris-catholic thing is all about reproductive rights and gay marriage differences. 

You mean allowing the law of the land to remain? The ones that used to allow abortions and the other that recognizes gay marriage? 

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You mean allowing the law of the land to remain? The ones that used to allow abortions and the other that recognizes gay marriage? 

Exactly. And she isn’t trying to make Catholics have abortions or same sex marriages. Her position of “others should have those rights” is incompatible with the Catholic leadership position of “nobody should be doing that, even non-Catholics”. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

My mom, maybe the only D boomer woman in Montgomery County, told me about the latest gathering of her Little Old Ladies club.  Apparently all the right-wing boomer nutcases are freaking out that dotard has to run against Kamala instead of Biden now.  She said they were scared shitless, not about Kamala's policies; but that they didn't think there was any way dotard was going to beat her.  

Good.

No.

That's the vibe I'm getting from my small handful of acquaintances who are Republicans or Republican-leaning.  I just had a coworker who leans heavily Republican tell me that there was "no chance" that Trump wins.  Really?  "Yeah," he said--"no chance Kamala doesn't win."

Honestly, it feels a lot like the level of despair we had three weeks ago.  But maybe without the hope that their candidate could be persuaded to drop out.

And on their side, I think you can't discount the number of people who treat electoral politics as entertainment or sport.  Voting for Trump is just a mechanism to make the libs cry and whoop it up after you win.  But if Trump isn't going to win, then it's no fun.  And beyond that, there's no real point.  Why bother supporting a team if you know it's going to lose?  And if you're a person who votes only infrequently, why go out and vote if you know you're just going to be on the losing side?

With a little luck and some good work on the campaign, we can get a snowball rolling downhill to bring about an electoral thumping.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Specifically what? You can just say “yeah she still has the same problems” and not give specific examples.

Getting cooked in debates because of legitimate blemishes on her record:

Having a reputation as being rather unpleasant to work with, to put it mildly:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-former-staffer-soul-destroying-criticism-aides-report-2021-12?op=1

Fair or not, the allegations she slept her way to the top which will resonate with a lot of (white) people in those midwest swing states.

And the fact that she's a woman and black.  I mean, you know where you live, right?  That's going to cost her votes.  

Tell me what is substantially different about 2024 Kamala from the 2020 version who managed to snag 1% of the vote.  She did a whole lot of nothing as VP.  Hid her in a closet and the one time they let her out to deal with the border it didn't go well.  She's not Donald Trump and she's not a walking, ice cream eating corpse.  Those are her positives.  If this wasn't a literal battle for the future of democracy in this country we'd want just about anyone else to be running.  Since it is a literal battle for the future of democracy, KAMALA 4 PRESIDENT!

Unfortunately in this country you have two choices.  One side are literal fascists who have completely gone through the looking glass into absolute insanity.  And the other side are Center-Right corporate stooges who pretend to give a shit while rolling over and counting their money.  I'm still waiting for an actual liberal party, hell, just a Center-Left party to emerge in American politics.  I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime and Kamala for sure ain't going to start it.  But I'll absolutely take the Corpocrats brand of do-nothing politics over the people trying to turn this country into the Handmaid's Tale.  

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

Shit has gotten too crazy for normal people who actually care to vote for trump and the only people left are the ones that have something seriously wrong with them and treat it like a cult/religion that will solve all problems.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

to be fair, while roe v wade was supreme court decided they should have codified it and passed a law just to be sure that some stupid shit like this didn't happen again and it was nationally defined.

39 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm glad she can back it up. But holy shit this would have been worse than "inventing the internet." And I would feel much better if we had actual video of her walking the tunnels

I'd feel a lot better if you could move onto your next manufactured crisis/scenario. Preferably something with a little more obvious comedy, like you being worreid about if Kamala is elected she's going to switch parties and make herself Queen. 

34 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Are we all done with your completely made up hypotheticals now?

You know we're not. At best he'll just be back to injecting Israel as the primary issue of the campaign and how fucked the Democrats are because ________________________.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Ghost of LL said:

That's the vibe I'm getting from my small handful of acquaintances who are Republicans or Republican-leaning.  I just had a coworker who leans heavily Republican tell me that there was "no chance" that Trump wins.  Really?  "Yeah," he said--"no chance Kamala doesn't win."

Honestly, it feels a lot like the level of despair we had three weeks ago.  But maybe without the hope that their candidate could be persuaded to drop out.

And on their side, I think you can't discount the number of people who treat electoral politics as entertainment or sport.  Voting for Trump is just a mechanism to make the libs cry and whoop it up after you win.  But if Trump isn't going to win, then it's no fun.  And beyond that, there's no real point.  Why bother supporting a team if you know it's going to lose?  And if you're a person who votes only infrequently, why go out and vote if you know you're just going to be on the losing side?

With a little luck and some good work on the campaign, we can get a snowball rolling downhill to bring about an electoral thumping.

yep, this isn't a small anecdotal pool. It's pretty much everyone I interact with from late 20s to early 50's on a regular basis IRL. This was something that was fun and now it's not fun. It's not fun to constantly be dunked on or be associated with weirdos or losers. People don't like it and Kamala and team right now are saying things that are damn near irrefutable.

It's like a kid transferred into the school and the bully tried to pick on them and the bully got punched in the mouth and given a wedgie and told to fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

46 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Good lord, dude.  Unclench and grow up.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

yep, this isn't a small anecdotal pool. It's pretty much everyone I interact with from late 20s to early 50's on a regular basis IRL. This was something that was fun and now it's not fun. It's not fun to constantly be dunked on or be associated with weirdos or losers. People don't like it and Kamala and team right now are saying things that are damn near irrefutable.

It's like a kid transferred into the school and the bully tried to pick on them and the bully got punched in the mouth and given a wedgie and told to fuck off.

Hopefully. If the bottom drops out on him in polling, you might be right. I still think it's such a lifestyle now for some that they can't peel off. The middle might've finally gotten the shot in the arm they needed because they finally saw there is a really good alternative. I'm convinced there is a subset of America that only cares about continuity in government. They are willing to overlook Trump's crazy shit because he was the president before. They didn't want to vote for Biden because they weren't sure he could still do the job. Now they have a new alternative to ponder who also provides continuity of office. I can think of no other reason to why he was the favorite for so long after all the shit he's said and done. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Hopefully. If the bottom drops out on him in polling, you might be right. I still think it's such a lifestyle now for some that they can't peel off. The middle might've finally gotten the shot in the arm they needed because they finally saw there is a really good alternative. I'm convinced there is a subset of America that only cares about continuity in government. They are willing to overlook Trump's crazy shit because he was the president before. They didn't want to vote for Biden because they weren't sure he could still do the job. Now they have a new alternative to ponder who also provides continuity of office. 

Idk what it is, but you see the chainsaws of the world coming out of the woodwork who aren't able to see how crazy shit is. 

That Atlanta rally was...something else. It has been over a decade since something like that has happened. Kamala is on fire right now and there's not really any sign of it slowing down. It's been 10 days and the multi million dollar small ball hasn't stopped. People are fucking amped. Voter registration is crazy right now, Gen Z seems far more engaged than millennials ever were during Obama. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Getting cooked in debates because of legitimate blemishes on her record:

Having a reputation as being rather unpleasant to work with, to put it mildly:

https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-former-staffer-soul-destroying-criticism-aides-report-2021-12?op=1

Fair or not, the allegations she slept her way to the top which will resonate with a lot of (white) people in those midwest swing states.

And the fact that she's a woman and black.  I mean, you know where you live, right?  That's going to cost her votes.  

Tell me what is substantially different about 2024 Kamala from the 2020 version who managed to snag 1% of the vote.  She did a whole lot of nothing as VP.  Hid her in a closet and the one time they let her out to deal with the border it didn't go well.  She's not Donald Trump and she's not a walking, ice cream eating corpse.  Those are her positives.  If this wasn't a literal battle for the future of democracy in this country we'd want just about anyone else to be running.  Since it is a literal battle for the future of democracy, KAMALA 4 PRESIDENT!

Unfortunately in this country you have two choices.  One side are literal fascists who have completely gone through the looking glass into absolute insanity.  And the other side are Center-Right corporate stooges who pretend to give a shit while rolling over and counting their money.  I'm still waiting for an actual liberal party, hell, just a Center-Left party to emerge in American politics.  I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime and Kamala for sure ain't going to start it.  But I'll absolutely take the Corpocrats brand of do-nothing politics over the people trying to turn this country into the Handmaid's Tale.  

Except Tulsi is lying and parroting Trump talking points.

Trump Claims Harris Jailed 'Thousands And Thousands Of Black People' Over Marijuana, But Her Actual Record As A Prosecutor Is More Nuanced - Marijuana Moment

• Hook 'Em 5

For the Nate Bronze model talk - 

It was 62-38 Trump a week ago.  Now 57-43.  Before the model switched to Harris, it was 74-26 Trump.  The new polls are slowly upping the percentages for Harris. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

Gen Z seems far more engaged than millennials ever were during Obama. 

I think that's just a function of social media being much more prevalent in 2024 than 2008.  Millennials were extremely excited; I was on campus as a student during that election.  Obama Fever gripped college campuses around the country.

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think this is right, and why it's so important to keep the foot on the pedal from now until Election Day. Demoralize them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'd be good Beshear but don't understand the thinking that he has everyman vibes. He looks like a model for North Face vests with a single digit handicap. 

Funny, and true, but isn't that what we've been electing for about 240 years?

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Exactly. And she isn’t trying to make Catholics have abortions or same sex marriages. Her position of “others should have those rights” is incompatible with the Catholic leadership position of “nobody should be doing that, even non-Catholics”. 

"Childless women are selfish and evil" somehow doesn't jibe with "the dems are persecuting Catholics and here's some Catholic Nuns to tell you all about it"  -- what a weird strategy.

image.png.eb49253893ac6ecbf674c5f5cd1a7256.png

Edited by Chopper