2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

3 hours ago, immamac said:

Lmao wait what? How are we talking about the French hosted Paris Olympics having anything to do with anything in US politics? 

Grow the fuck up. 

The stupidity of the culture war is that it begs and pleads for us to get angry about moronic conversations that no one — not even the culture warriors themselves — are remotely interested in having. But we all must have and share our suddenly strongly felt, moronic opinions. The more unrelated to the topic at hand, the better;  semper nonsequitur, semper stultus.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Tell me what is substantially different about 2024 Kamala from the 2020 version who managed to snag 1% of the vote.  

Um, I don't think she is going to withdraw from the race before anyone votes.  I think that will be the major difference.  She withdrew from the race on Dec 3, 2019.  The Iowa Caucus didn't occur until two months later.  So, yeah, I think that is just another bullshit Republican talking point.  I think it is also worth noting that she came out of the 2020 election as the Vice President of the United States of America.  I think most of us would love to fail so badly.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

image.thumb.png.af4a98549fae3338a84a051306cd3aa5.png

But, you see, this means that hyper-progressives and Bernie Bros will just stay home, because it means that she is really a right-winger doing right-wing things.  Just ask Chainsaw.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Um, I don't think she is going to withdraw from the race before anyone votes.  I think that will be the major difference.  She withdrew from the race on Dec 3, 2019.  The Iowa Caucus didn't occur until two months later.  So, yeah, I think that is just another bullshit Republican talking point.  I think it is also worth noting that she came out of the 2020 election as the Vice President of the United States of America.  I think most of us would love to fail so badly.  

She didn’t have a record as VP or a team that won a presidential election 4 years ago. That’s the difference. She’s also not competing against 19 other candidates 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Villages have fallen.

Spoiler

Hundreds of ‘Harris for President’ golf carts roll through Trump stronghold

The Trump stronghold saw hundreds of decorated golf carts lining its streets on Saturday in a show of support for Vice President Harris.

Praveena SomasundaramJuly 31, 2024 at 5:00 a.m. EDT

A caravan of golf carts in The Villages, Fla., heads to a polling place to support Rep. Val Demings (D-Fla.) in her run for U.S. Senate in October 2022. Incumbent Sen. Marco Rubio (R) defeated Demings in the election. (John Raoux/AP)

The scene in the Florida parking lot shocked even those who planned it.

Hundreds of golf carts filed in Saturday, decked out in American flags; “Harris for President” posters; and red, white and blue streamers. Their drivers cheered, honked their horns and rode around town for hours, supporting Vice President Harris’s presidential bid for a parade in The Villages, a Florida retirement community that has been a stronghold for former president Donald Trump’s “Make America Great Again” movement for nearly a decade.

And it still is. The latest voter registration numbers for Sumter County, where The Villages is primarily located, show Democrats outnumbered three to one. In the 2020 election, Trump took 68 percent of the county’s votes.

Story continues below advertisement

But on Saturday, the Trump-loving town saw a turnout for a Harris rally that shocked organizers and paradegoers alike. It probably marked the largest golf cart caravan for a Democratic candidate in nearly a decade, said Dennis Foley, vice president of the Villages Democratic Club, which helped throw the event. The club expected to see around 250 people, but the attendance was at least double that. The unexpected show of support drew millions of views online.

President Biden’s exit from the race and swift endorsement of Harris stoked a fire in the community, where Democrats are often tight-lipped about their affiliation.

“There’s enthusiasm for Kamala and also a sense of significance to this election and that there’s a lot at stake,” Foley said. “So the combination, I think, has boosted everyone that was a little bit depressed.”

The rally was followed by a quick counter from Trump supporters in The Villages.

On Sunday, the Villages MAGA Club — which markets itself as a group for residents who “support the America first agenda to protect and preserve our great nation” — announced it would host a golf cart caravan to support the Trump-Vance ticket.

The club said in a Facebook post on Monday that the local sheriff’s office would attend the rally, writing: “We will kick out anyone who causes trouble. It’s what we expect from the democrats.”

H. Gary Morse, a Republican Party megadonor, developed The Villages into a routine stop for GOP political figures, including Trump and Gov. Ron DeSantis. After Florida flipped from a battleground to a Republican bastion, The Villages made national headlines for contentious rallies in support of the then-president.

Going into the 2024 presidential race, the Republican side of the aisle remains “very firm” in The Villages, Foley said.

“There’s nothing we can say or do that will convince them,” he said.

The shift has been within the community’s Democrats, who are starting to make an appearance larger and louder than those of the past two election cycles, when the energy of the GOP faithful dominated the town.

“I think it’s just such a stronghold here that people don’t come out to speak up and say, ‘Hey, you know, I’m voting for someone other than Trump.’ And so this was an opportunity,” said resident Diane Ruggiero.

Ruggiero, a registered Republican, said she has never voted for Trump, but she sees reminders of her neighbors’ support for him every day in The Villages. Trump 2024 flags hang in front yards, and bumper stickers are slapped on golf carts, the main mode of transportation in the community.

When she saw information about the rally for Harris on a local news site Saturday morning, she wanted to attend to support Harris’s candidacy.

Hours later, Ruggiero; her husband, Jim Guy; and their dog, Skipper were driving in the parade, their golf cart adorned with a white “Harris for President” poster. Ruggiero wore a “Dog Mama for Kamala” pin that she’d been given at the rally. Others held handmade signs that read “I’m a cat lady,” a reference to comments made by Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), Trump’s running mate when he derided Harris and other prominent Democrats as “childless cat ladies” in 2021. A few wore orange jumpsuits, alluding to Trump being found guilty in May on 34 counts of falsifying business records to conceal a hush money payment in 2016.

As the golf carts made their way around the town square in The Villages, they were met with about a dozen Trump supporters who stood in a counterprotest, holding signs supporting Trump.

Among them were Tommy and Valerie Jamieson, who started The Villages MAGA Club together in 2022.

The couple said they’d read about the rally online and had already been in the area of the parade route for one of their own events. During the Harris rally, Tommy Jamieson said they stood peacefully with their signs.

“This was kind of like, ‘Okay, what in the world is going on?’” he said. “Democrats having a golf cart rally, it’s just come out of nowhere.”

After the rally, Jamieson said the club was “swamped” with calls to hold a rally supporting Trump, which they’ve scheduled for Saturday, adding that he expected it to be “one of the biggest rallies ever held here in The Villages.”

The back-and-forth rallies reflect a political divide that seems poised to become more pronounced in The Villages as its Democrats come out of the woodwork, re-energized by Harris’s entry to the race.

“We are fired up to fight off the Trump-Vance ticket,” Foley said.

The way Ruggiero sees it, Harris’s candidacy has given once-quiet left-leaners in The Villages new momentum.

“I could see that energy that now people are like ‘Oh, I’m not one out of 100. I might be one out of 10, maybe two out of 10,” she said.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We're just days away from getting the "Cult of Kamala" accusations from people who see no hypocrisy in blinding following a person who is the very antithesis of conservatism that Ronald Reagan espoused. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

38 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's the vibe I'm getting from my small handful of acquaintances who are Republicans or Republican-leaning.  I just had a coworker who leans heavily Republican tell me that there was "no chance" that Trump wins.  Really?  "Yeah," he said--"no chance Kamala doesn't win."

Honestly, it feels a lot like the level of despair we had three weeks ago.  But maybe without the hope that their candidate could be persuaded to drop out.

And on their side, I think you can't discount the number of people who treat electoral politics as entertainment or sport.  Voting for Trump is just a mechanism to make the libs cry and whoop it up after you win.  But if Trump isn't going to win, then it's no fun.  And beyond that, there's no real point.  Why bother supporting a team if you know it's going to lose?  And if you're a person who votes only infrequently, why go out and vote if you know you're just going to be on the losing side?

With a little luck and some good work on the campaign, we can get a snowball rolling downhill to bring about an electoral thumping.

Please inform them that the fix is already in, and it makes no difference if they vote.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The 2020 primary was an ugly purity test where D voters and MSM were very nasty about the candidates they didn't support. Looking back it was so fucking stupid. 

You left out the part where Clyburn told everyone to sit down and shut the fuck up, we're going with Joe.

Sounds familiar.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Joe Rogan is predicting a Kamala victory.

Ha. I saw a snippet where he and his guest were lamenting that Trump didn't benefit from being shot at "because of 4 years of hatred from the media". Yeah, he was shot at by one of his own supporters there genius. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But, you see, this means that hyper-progressives and Bernie Bros will just stay home, because it means that she is really a right-winger doing right-wing things.  Just ask Chainsaw.

She is schroedinger’s candidate. Both too right and too left simultaneously until she is elected. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, mdmost said:

Ha. I saw a snippet where he and his guest were lamenting that Trump didn't benefit from being shot at "because of 4 years of hatred from the media". Yeah, he was shot at by one of his own supporters there genius. 

Not sure the shooter was a supporter at the time.  

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Not sure the shooter was a supporter at the time.  

He was just a deranged kid looking to make a name for himself. That's the point. He would've shot Biden if Biden was in PA at the time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/27/2024 at 3:29 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Couple of years ago we did some fishing at port A and were hanging out outside the camper in the RV park when a nondescript sedan drove through the park asking everyone if they wanted tamales. I had just had like 5 lbs of rockfish fried up by a local establishment, but my answer was I’ll take 2 dozen.  Because you don’t say no. 

Was the guy wearing a fedora? If so, I've bought 2 dozen off of him too. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Please inform them that the fix is already in, and it makes no difference if they vote.

I trust God's plan for America- does he really need our vote? I will be staying home and praying on Nov 5th instead. 🙏  /message to white Christians

Trump about to speak to the black journalists conference in Chicago. How long before he says illegal Hannibal Lector immigrants are taking all the 'black jobs'?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Lol, "shot"

image.png.1f898bd0ffd41f5cd26b09659be633d8.png

10e32d3e-ed10-4268-a7be-55a51d2a48d4_tex

I've had worse injuries from scratching myself while I slept.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

I trust God's plan for America- does he really need our vote? I will be staying home and praying on Nov 5th instead. 🙏  /message to white Christians

Trump about to speak to the black journalists conference in Chicago. How long before he says illegal Hannibal Lector immigrants are taking all the 'black jobs'?

I'd wager someone should ask him about the black jobs thing but I'm pretty sure some shitty black Fox News reporter will probably get the only question and fellate him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Every poll from the last two years seems to have trump between 42% and 45%, invariably, without change, no matter what. If the trend in the next few weeks could just get him to 39% in a handful of polls, they'll lose their goddamned minds in a blaze of glory. But, the VP pick is out there referring to women as nothing more than baby making vessels, and yet 42% to 45% . . . there has to be some repercussion for that bullshit. Come on America, wake the fuck up already!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Every poll from the last two years seems to have trump between 42% and 45%, invariably, without change, no matter what. If the trend in the next few weeks could just get him to 39% in a handful of polls, they'll lose their goddamned minds in a blaze of glory. But, the VP pick is out there referring to women as nothing more than baby making vessels, and yet 42% to 45% . . . there has to be some repercussion for that bullshit. Come on America, wake the fuck up already!

Isn't that always the case?  He has a pretty hard ceiling of 46/47%.  Even in swing state polls that he leads, it's usually like 47-44 or 48-45.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

If you can produce a photo of a confederate flag or Nazi flag at a Trump rally that hasn’t been superimposed into the photo, I’ll eat my hat.

Please post a picture of the hat you'll be eating. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

If you can produce a photo of a confederate flag or Nazi flag at a Trump rally that hasn’t been superimposed into the photo, I’ll eat my hat.

Eat a bag of dicks while you're at it.

Edit going to change mine since it's already below

Kolhatkar-CorporationsTrumpCapitolRiots.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ALexusTexus7 said:

Surely you've got a selfie or two from when you attended.