2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep.  As I mentioned before, the Trumpist message of "what is this bi-racial/ethnic bullshit?" goes over like a fart in church with 80% of the people under 40 in this country (and a shitload of those over 40).  They are bi-racial/ethnic, or a significant part of their professional or social group is.

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I posted this earlier:  The GF's DIL, who lives in our guesthouse with her husband;  Her Dad was born in Italy.  Her mom is half American Indian, and half Mexican.  

If you tell this lovely young woman that she's not Italian, or Mexican, or Indian (woo-woo, not dot) prepare for her to go apeshit. 

Bingo.  Tell Brisketexan that he's not mexican, as he makes carnitas this weekend, mows his own lawn, and proudly cheaps out on his car repairs.  Tell Brisketexan he's not a coonass as he also scouts out his duck blind location this weekend, duck hunts this fall, and eats a cold boudin ball on the way to the blind.  Tell Brisket he's not a prototypical Texan as he goes full-on obnoxious drunken Texas frat boy with his college buddies at TX-OU this year.  Cuz I'm all those things, motherfucker.

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If AZ goes trump gallego I’ll eat my hat (metaphorically)

Brisket's new zillion dollar idea: in this era of hat-eating promises, a line of edible hats:

chiquito.jpg?w=608&ar=default&fit=crop&c

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

“She is not who she pretends to be,” Vance told reporters at his rally in Phoenix. “She’ll say one thing to one audience, another thing to another audience. … She’s flip-flopped on every issue. She’s fake, she’s phony.” [Vance]

Reveal hidden contents

We’re not just talking about moderate Republicans like former Maryland Gov.-turned-Senate hopeful LARRY HOGAN — who blasted Trump’s statement as “unacceptable and abhorrent” — or Alaska Sen. LISA MURKOWSKI, who called the comments “very unfortunate.”

Just take a look at some of the on the record remarks from the Hill yesterday, courtesy of HuffPo’s Igor Bobic and Axios’ Andrew Solender, Stef W. Kight, and Juliegrace Brufke:

NRSC Chairman STEVE DAINES (R-Mont.): “I think the better approach is to focus on their policies of Kamala Harris ... that’s what I’ve been talking about.”

Sen. TOMMY TUBERVILLE (R-Ala.): “I ain’t getting involved in that. Let him talk about what he wants to talk about. I’m talking about how bad our country is in shape right now because of her.”

Sen. JOSH HAWLEY (R-Mo.): “It’s not a great idea for either of the parties to be playing racial identity politics, whether it’s ‘white dudes for Kamala’ or whatever this is. … We should spend less time talking about race and more time talking about how we’re going to get people to work.”

And that’s just what they’re saying in public.

The GOP backlash suggests that Trump appears to have botched the “reset” that Republicans were hoping he’d implement this week, as our colleagues Natalie Allison and Alex Isenstadt write this morning. Indeed, the entire line of attack reeks of a desperation that Trump world has been doing a pretty damn good job hiding during Harris’ honeymoon these past few weeks.

And yet there are signs that GOP confidence in Trump is now slipping. The Trump camp is launching new ads today in North Carolina, a state that has only once voted for a Democratic presidential candidate once in the past 40 years.

Republicans are hoping to refocus Trump in the coming days. But they also know that’s not an easy task. On some level, this is who Trump is: He’s always had a penchant for prioritizing schoolyard taunts and divisive rhetoric over substantial policy talk.

As longtime MITCH McCONNELL advisor SCOTT JENNINGS put it succinctly on CNN last night: “Trump did crap the bed today. The only question is if he’s going to roll around in it or change the sheets.”

One thing to one audience, one thing to another audience.  In other words....what most humans do every day.  I assure you, I am one person when arguing in front of the Court of Appeals, another when sitting on the deck at vacation with my family, another in the duck blind with my coonass buddies, another around the bbq pit with my mexican family, etc. etc.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

They are not taking the bait. Good. 

And this.  So far, every response from the campaign and its surrogates has been pitch-perfect.  Let Donnie keep digging, don't get in his way.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, HenryJames said:

7f15f91b-e091-4b14-9a00-1c60b6aafb2d.png

IMG_6820.jpeg

This is not the type of racism that helps in a general election. There's a reason Republicans spent decades coming up with all sorts of neutral-sounding euphemisms for the N word. Let's hope they keep this up.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As a person with polish AND German heritage I am taken aback by all of this. 

Yeah, it's not like this is a foreign idea to white people here.  I am German and Czech.  Most white Americans are European mutts.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, it's not like this is a foreign idea to white people.  I am German and Czech and most white people are European mutts.

Are you related to Andy Richter, the Swedish-German?

• Haha 5

16 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

More than one six-pack at a time? In Levittown I had to ritualistically buy one, then walk back a few steps to hand it to my wife, then I could go back to the counter and buy the second. No big deal, I thought it was kinda funny, which managed to get the clerk more pissed off at me.

192 oz of beer or wine per purchase. They basically made it so gas stations that had food prep and seating could get a restaurant alcohol license. Which is a separate license from a beer distributor license that can sell any amount of beer, or a winery license that can sell any amount of wine. Liquor still only sold by the state. 

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well it may not be liquid but we do 65-70M EBITDA and have a banker signed so these aren’t pie in the sky numbers.  We would trade 15-17x the 65-70M with 150M debt. I own 20ish % after selling the rest in 2019 (won’t say that amount but we were at 150 docs so not tiny).  But yeah, hate to brag, but if fuckhead Joe has me beat, it’s not by much. And I’m not a bald conspiracy peddling POS stealing people’s money.     

/nopaystubs

Dude, you could buy x.com.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Tell Brisketexan that he's not mexican, as he makes carnitas this weekend, mows his own lawn, and proudly cheaps out on his car repairs.  Tell Brisketexan he's not a coonass as he also scouts out his duck blind location this weekend, duck hunts this fall, and eats a cold boudin ball on the way to the blind.

image.png.63a287ab3064ff2fc3b22cf6a009b7ff.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7
  • Drool 1

37 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And lied about his childhood.  Who the fuck changes their first and last name twice?

I'm no fan of JD Vance, but his name changing was actually pretty innocuous.  His mother changed his name as a child after a divorce, and when he got married he changed his surname to honor his grandparents, who raised him.

14 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

A couple of my Republican friends are using the word "weird" in texts way too often all of a sudden.

I take it this means that Fox News is trying to steal it now?

Of course, but it’s going to be harder this time because they have always called everyone else weird, so they are struggling with being othered, particularly since the people doing it seem to be laughing and having fun.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As a person with polish AND German heritage I am taken aback by all of this. 

29 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

where were you sept 1 1939

He was in the bathroom for a long time, and when his mom knocked and asked him what he was doing, "NOTHING!  Just invading myself!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's moreso that EBITDA gets used and abused by the executive class to present a misleading view of their firms finances. It's excessively short term focused and is a systemic contributor to our unsustainable business practices. 

If you want to enshittify a good business, you're gonna shift from reporting GAAP numbers to EBITDA. Otherwise people will get wise to the shell game

side tangent - i like you ant so i'm going to patronizingly help you out so you avoid stepping in it...

saying "going from reporting gaap numbers to ebitda" is almost as bad as that guy talking about no-go zones in the "le figaro" neighborhood of paris.

don't say that again if there is even the most remote possibility of someone who understands financial accounting in the room.

in your parlance, it would be like someone saying i am going to rewrite this software to change it from perl to associative array.

fuck donald trump.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

A couple of my Republican friends are using the word "weird" in texts way too often all of a sudden.

I take it this means that Fox News is trying to steal it now?

Yes, they are trying to take it back and use it as their own. It’s not working though.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Of course, but it’s going to be harder this time because they have always called everyone else weird, so they are struggling with being othered, particularly since the people doing it seem to be laughing and having fun.

The bolded is the most important part.

There's nothing a fascist hates more than being laughed at.  They are pathetic losers who are compensating for their pathetic loserdom, so they want to be feared, hated, all of that shit.  But being ridiculed and laughed at, and then ignored?  That drives them nuts.  They absolutely lose it.  Which has the effect of making them act even WEIRDER and MORE pathetic....it's a fucking death spiral.  Let's help them on their journey.

• Hook 'Em 6

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well it may not be liquid but we do 65-70M EBITDA and have a banker signed so these aren’t pie in the sky numbers.  We would trade 15-17x the 65-70M with 150M debt. I own 20ish % after selling the rest in 2019 (won’t say that amount but we were at 150 docs so not tiny).  But yeah, hate to brag, but if fuckhead Joe has me beat, it’s not by much. And I’m not a bald conspiracy peddling POS stealing people’s money.     

/nopaystubs

No crypto? This statement is invalid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Depends on what they offer him to do so.

I'm not an actuary but I'm guessing the tables are favorable enough for a Trump death in office in his age 79-83 years to make this a very very high ceiling bet for Thiel/Vance.  Especially now that they've secured the VP there is no plausible way to buy off their position.  Their interest in this election is the upside of Vance being VP, but if the bet is foiled they will pivot and will live with a Harris presidency and strategize again for 4 years from now.  Trump is just their so so dumb vehicle.

This is dark but I think the only way this happens is if they try some mafia style shit like, "hey Vance, wouldn't it be a shame if something were to happen to your Indian wife and kids..."

Edited by Old Freak Nasty
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

saying "going from reporting gaap numbers to ebitda" is almost as bad as that guy talking about no-go zones in the "le figaro" neighborhood of paris.

I don’t think I’ll ever get over Le Figaro. Those wounds run pretty deep.

• Haha 2

I don't think "weird" was the endgame for that messaging, I expect it to shift to "strange" or "off-putting" and eventually end up at "backwards" to sync with the overall message.  Or that's what I think they should do. 

The biracial stuff is only going to land with their hardened base, yet again. For like the 5000th time, it appears that winning this election in a legitimate manner was never really plan A for these people, and all they believe is necessary to regain power is to keep their base angry and loyal. I'm not a concern troll or conspiracy person at all, I'm just having a hard time connecting the dots and not seeing an overall plan that wasn't intended to end in blatant election fuckery at the very least. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I'm not an actuary but I'm guessing the tables are favorable enough for a Trump death in office in his age 79-83 years to make this a very very high ceiling bet for Thiel/Vance.  Especially now that they've secured the VP there is no plausible way to buy off their position.  Their interest in this election is the upside of Vance being VP, but if the bet is foiled they will pivot and will live with a Harris presidency and strategize again for 4 years from now.  Trump is just their so so dumb vehicle.

This.  Spot-on.  It's a high-ceiling, low-risk bet for Thiel and his merry band of oligarchs.  Throw a few hundred million onto the table.  If you lose, who cares -- you're already making pretty good progress on taking over the world via your ownership of Congress and the SCOTUS, and a few hundred million is pocket change.  If you win....total global domination by being the puppeteer of the most powerful office in the world.  Shit, they'd have been dumb NOT to make that bet.

We (the American people) need to just manage to not be so dumb that we make it pay off for them.  I'm not super hopeful on that count.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

My money is on Tulsi Gabbard. Shes pretty, ethnic, a former Democrat, and she has the full weight of the Russian Government's Treasury behind her!

I know we're not *supposed to* comment on appearances on this thread, but Tulsi is the epitome of 'good from far.'

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no fan of JD Vance, but his name changing was actually pretty innocuous.  His mother changed his name as a child after a divorce, and when he got married he changed his surname to honor his grandparents, who raised him.

Well, if he ever changes his name to Bassett, we'll know why.

13 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Imagine if she took her moms tandoori and her dads jerk marinade and combined them

Jerk marinade is a euphemism I've never heard before.

Also, is anyone else skipping any post that features EBITDA? 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

They'll make him an offer he can't refuse.

Resign or we'll release the "pee pee" tapes. And by "pee pee" tapes, I mean the gay shit. NTTIAWWT

19 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

This is dark but I think the only way this happens is if they try some mafia style shit like, "hey Vance, wouldn't it be a shame if something were to happen to your Indian wife and kids..."

I think if the last few weeks have shown us anything it is that Vance's political career on the national stage is DOA. Succeeding a deceased Trump is the only way he'll ever sniff the White House.

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's uncommon for a man to change his last name, at the time of his marriage, to his grandparents name. I doubt anyone is keeping a record of this, but let's go with a conservative number that only 1 person has done this.

The only explanation that I can think of is that his wife refused to take his adopted dad's surname. And Vance (Bowman or Hamel) wanted to share a surname with his wife. Her Indian name would be out of the question so they compromised on Vance.

Do many people attend a prestigious law school like Yale, only to change their name so former classmates don't make the connection. You have to guess that until he ran for Senate and definitely VP, some of his Ohio State and Yale classmates had no idea that JD Hamel was JD Vance.  Isn't a major reason to attend a top tier law school is due to the connections you make?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's uncommon for a man to change his last name, at the time of his marriage, to his grandparents name. I doubt anyone is keeping a record of this, but let's go with a conservative number that only 1 person has done this.

The only explanation that I can think of is that his wife refused to take his adopted dad's surname. And Vance (Bowman or Hamel) wanted to share a surname with his wife. Her Indian name would be out of the question so they compromised on Vance.

Do many people attend a prestigious law school like Yale, only to change their name so former classmates don't make the connection. You have to guess that until he ran for Senate and definitely VP, some of his Ohio State and Yale classmates had no idea that JD Hamel was JD Vance.  Isn't a major reason to attend a top tier law school is due to the connections you make?

They interviewed people in his hometown who were like “who the hell is JD Vance?”

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They interviewed people in his hometown who were like “who the hell is JD Vance?”

Yes, but, Kamala Harris has parents, and is a product of the both of them. This is apparently shameful, so, both sides.