2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

daring to give them universal health care

No universal health care and the biggest transfer of public to private wealth in history. You would think republicans would build him a shrine 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro has cancelled a trip to the ritzy New York beach enclave of the Hamptons, as he’s being considered to be Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

Shapiro was supposed to go to at least two events in the Hamptons, including a meet and greet with wealthy donors at the home of public relations executive Mike Kempner.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/01/shapiro-harris-vp-reveal-plans.html

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s pretty clear he still has childhood trauma from his mom. He’s trying to purge that trauma through these interviews and by calling people without children sociopaths and psychotic. You won’t fix your childhood trauma by becoming the vice-president. You don’t need politics, my dude—you need a fucking therapist. 

Some publisher may as well give JD’s kids an advance on their own book deal so they can work through their own inevitable trauma. Coming to your local book store in 2044, (half)Hillbilly Elegy.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro has cancelled a trip to the ritzy New York beach enclave of the Hamptons, as he’s being considered to be Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate, according to a person with direct knowledge of the matter.

Shapiro was supposed to go to at least two events in the Hamptons, including a meet and greet with wealthy donors at the home of public relations executive Mike Kempner.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/01/shapiro-harris-vp-reveal-plans.html

Him cancelling could just be a function of Harris already having an event in Philly and he wants to be there.

Could be more, though.

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Some publisher may as well give JD’s kids an advance on their own book deal do they can work through their own inevitable trauma. Coming to your local book store in 2044, (half)Hillbilly Elegy.

de162ae069d895e7351955cde14c0914.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

20 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

they already did, effectively. it'll take a while to come down the pike.

I don’t follpw your logic. Reclassifying weed to whatever catagory ketamine is in isn’t the same thing as legalizing it.

Lots of talk about GOTV among younger citizens. Legalization would do that.

Edited by Willfully Horn

34 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Page 420, and still wondering why the Democrats aren’t promising to legalize weed.

Kamala has actually campaigned on legalizing weed:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2024/07/22/kamala-harris-marijuana-stance-policy/74495543007/

"During her time in the White House, the vice president has been an even stronger advocate for [ending] any cannabis prohibition and restoring or repairing the harms that it has caused than the president has been, and in many ways, has been a real leader on this issue, particularly as it relates to criminal justice reform," Morgan Fox, political director of NORML, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, the country's oldest cannabis legalization advocacy group, told USA TODAY.

"Marijuana is considered as dangerous as heroin and more dangerous than fentanyl, which is absurd, not to mention patently unfair," Harris said at the event.

Harris again called for "change to our nation's approach to marijuana" at the gathering held at 4:20 p.m. on April 20, the unofficial holiday celebrating weed. "Nobody should have to go to jail for smoking weed," she said on the social media platform X.

As Harris, then junior senator for California, emerged as a top contender in the crowded Democratic primary field during the 2020 election, she introduced legislation to decriminalize and tax marijuana at the federal level. The Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act would have also triggered resentencing or expunged charges for marijuana convictions and allocated 50% of tax revenue generated by the marijuana industry to three trust funds.

“Times have changed – marijuana should not be a crime,” Harris said when she announced the proposed legislation. “We need to start regulating marijuana and expunge marijuana convictions from the records of millions of Americans so they can get on with their lives."

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I don’t follpw your logic. Reclassifying weed to whatever catagory ketamine is in isn’t the same thing as legalizing it.

Lots of talk about GOTV among younger citizens. Legalization would did that.

It was descheduled to a level that would still allow pharmaceutical research to be done. this is the limit of my knowledge on it, but I believe completely descheduling it would either make that harder or impossible. also, they set out recommendations for expunging low-level weed charges and I'm betting that part is tied up in the courts right now, otherwise it would be trumpeted everywhere. I think it will be largely be left up to the states or smaller municipalities to decide on recreational use, but for now, afaik, it's decrimmed

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

“You said Beshear twice.”

“I like Beshear.”

2a94a02200d50e60a4fc504dde05381b.jpg

Hi, I'm Kamala.  And this my running mate, Andy.  And my other running mate, Andy.  

Somebody remind me why the ABC moderating the debate, if it happens, a non-starter?  I get that Trump doesn't want them running the show.  But are they just "up" next in the rotation?  Can't they just step aside for PBS or CNN or something?  If they're the reason, the rest of the nation can't see the "real Trump", don't have they have a journalistic obligation to just get the fuck outta the way so the debate can occur?  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It was descheduled to a level that would still allow pharmaceutical research to be done. this is the limit of my knowledge on it, but I believe completely descheduling it would either make that harder or impossible. also, they set out recommendations for expunging low-level weed charges and I'm betting that part is tied up in the courts right now, otherwise it would be trumpeted everywhere. I think it will be largely be left up to the states or smaller municipalities to decide on recreational use, but for now, afaik, it's decrimmed

Also, the current laws at least in Texas that criminalizes marijuana makes the scope extremely narrow, to the point where it created the "Delta-8" loophole. Weed is basically legal in Texas right now, the headshop down the street straight up advertises "medical grade flower" and sells THC vape pens and gummies and bud. Something about when they harvest it or some shit makes it technically not Delta-9, but rather Delta-8, which is chemically a tiny bit different but has the exact same effects. The law is so narrow, they don't even have kits which can distinguish between the technically legal and technically illegal kinds of weed, so they basically don't even test anymore.

Below is what they sell at my local gas station. Tastes and feels like normal ass thc, even got it separated out by indica and sativa.

20240801_142513.jpg

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

If AZ goes trump gallego I’ll eat my hat (metaphorically)

Motherfucking this.  Unless Maricopa county just basically doesn't vote, I don't understand how any of the AZ polls are anywhere close to reality.  It just can't be.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Hi, I'm Kamala.  And this my running mate, Andy.  And my other running mate, Andy.  

Somebody remind me why the ABC moderating the debate, if it happens, a non-starter?  I get that Trump doesn't want them running the show.  But are they just "up" next in the rotation?  Can't they just step aside for PBS or CNN or something?  If they're the reason, the rest of the nation can't see the "real Trump", don't have they have a journalistic obligation to just get the fuck outta the way so the debate can occur?  

Neither Biden nor Trump agreed to the CPD-hosted debates.  Both campaigns agreed to attend one hosted by CNN in June and one by ABC in September.  Biden rejected a third debate hosted by Fox News in October.  Trump did say in May he was willing to do another one with Biden hosted by NBC/Telemundo. 

Now Trump is backing out of the ABC one for obvious reasons. The Harris campaign isn't going to agree on one with Fox, even if they are pandering with offering to mute the mics. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Maricopa just primaried the GOP election official that kept the count clean.  Now there getting a Trumpkin in that office. 

Or elect the Dem. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Also, the current laws at least in Texas that criminalizes marijuana makes the scope extremely narrow, to the point where it created the "Delta-8" loophole. Weed is basically legal in Texas right now, the headshop down the street straight up advertises "medical grade flower" and sells THC vape pens and gummies and bud. Something about when they harvest it or some shit makes it technically not Delta-9, but rather Delta-8, which is chemically a tiny bit different but has the exact same effects. The law is so narrow, they don't even have kits which can distinguish between the technically legal and technically illegal kinds of weed, so they basically don't even test anymore.

Hemp is defined as "0.3% THCD9 by dry weight."  They just make the gummy-medium a little bigger.  THCA is THC in the flower that has not been set on fire or otherwise sat around long enough or been heated sufficiently to decarboxylate (lose the A).  That law is on the radar for amendment in the next legislative session.  It died in committee last session.  Watching them try to put that toothpaste back in the tube while the internet still exists will be interesting. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just fyi, even if a state decriminalizes it, individual municipalities can still keep dry. In Colorado, most of the state is dry for weed, only the major metropolitians have dispensaries. It's no different from being a dry county for alcohol. I think that's by far the most fair and best system to employ, even if it means Texas will basically forever be dry outside of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin.

I also agree with things like "no dispensary within X feet of a school/church/etc" like we already do with alcohol. Personally, I'd love to go to a weed lounge and hang out, I haven't drank liquor in basically 10+ years so I never go to bars anymore. I'd love to catch a comedy show or something and be allowed to spark up during it. Probably not actual smoking, because that's sort of on the decline and my own lungs are so fucked from bronchitis over the years that I can't really smoke anymore anyways, but like maybe eating a brownie or trying one of those vapes above. I got to do something like that in Seattle and it was so much fun.

19 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

For me, it needs to no longer be a thing for federal jobs.  I turned down at least one DOE-affiliated job because I wasn't going to pass a drug test and if I did, random drug tests would have screwed me living in a state where it is legal. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Hemp is defined as "0.3% THCD9 by dry weight."  They just make the gummy-medium a little bigger.  THCA is THC in the flower that has not been set on fire or otherwise sat around long enough or been heated sufficiently to decarboxylate (lose the A).  That law is on the radar for amendment in the next legislative session.  It died in committee last session.

I figure they'll be coming for it eventually, which really fucking sucks. What do you mean "it died in committee last session?" An attempt to amend it died in committee, or something else? What are the odds it gets killed totally? There's this little indian restaurant right next to the headshop I was talking about, and they said that delta-8 loophole has basically been their lifeline haha. People go and buy their weed at the dispensary then swing in next door and load up on indian food to pig out. Closing that loophole would affects multiple businesses, I thought Texas was supposed to be "pro-business"?

Just now, Js1 said:

For me, it needs to no longer be a thing for federal jobs.  I turned down at least one DOE-affiliated job because I wasn't going to pass a drug test and if I did, random drug tests would have screwed me living in a state where it is legal. 

THIS. They drug test at NASA, which fucked me out of a job I was very qualified for early out of college.

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I figure they'll be coming for it eventually, which really fucking sucks. What do you mean "it died in committee last session?" An attempt to amend it died in committee, or something else? What are the odds it gets killed totally? There's this little indian restaurant right next to the headshop I was talking about, and they said that delta-8 loophole has basically been their lifeline haha. People go and buy their weed at the dispensary then swing in next door and load up on indian food to pig out. Closing that loophole would affects multiple businesses, I thought Texas was supposed to be "pro-business"?

Abbott and Patrick have said it's one of their main priorities next session, to close that loophole. 

Texas isn't pro-business. It's pro-theocracy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

4 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Some rep from Lubbock sponsored a bill to amend it.  It went to the agriculture committee and never got the vote to get out.  There is a strong lobby in support of hemp.  It is a huge industry and nice tax revenue for the state.  And most of the online companies seem willing to ship anywhere with the idea that it is federally legal and the end-user is responsible for compliance with the laws of his state.  If Texas closes the loophole, it's just leaving money on the table because people will just order it online.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Abbott and Patrick have said it's one of their main priorities next session, to close that loophole. 

how do they get away with banning one of gods naturally growing plants? So plentiful by the creator itself, it's compared to actual weeds because it grows fucking everywhere.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Some rep from Lubbock sponsored a bill to amend it.  It went to the agriculture committee and never got the vote to get out.  There is a strong lobby in support of hemp.  It is a huge industry and nice tax revenue for the state.  And most of the online companies seem willing to ship anywhere with the idea that it is federally legal and the end-user is responsible for compliance with the laws of his state.  

I see, @SydneyCarton above indicates it's a little pet project of Abbott and Dan Patrick, so this is a battle between farmers in Ag Farmers in texas and the state? Which way are the winds blowing, think the amendment will pass next session?

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Prisons are a business too

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I see, @SydneyCarton above indicates it's a little pet project of Abbott and Dan Patrick, so this is a battle between farmers in Ag Farmers in texas and the state? Which way are the winds blowing, think the amendment will pass next session?

I don't know.  I have a friend from high school carved out a niche for herself years ago as "The MJ Lawyer."  She helped a lot of shops get set up in CO, then moved back to Texas and is working hard in support of the hemp industry.  She speculated that once Texas was surrounded by legal states (including Mexico), it would fall.  But that hasn't happened from a recreational perspective.  They fought like hell last time.  This amendment isn't the sort that is wildly popular for a variety of reasons, even with Rs.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

When I was part of a large contingent from UT System as they bid to run for Alamos with DoE (i was a back row bit player).  One of the first things they briefed us on was we'd have to take a drug test just to see certain things and advance our application, and if advanced-concede to ongoing random drug tests.  I don't use any recreational drugs, but being one of the younger members of the group-one of the dudes paused on me and said, "Is everyone okay with that?  This includes being in the immediate vicinity of exhaled smoke of these types of drugs!"  And I got all freaked out because I remembered I was at ACL the weekend before and pretty much everyone around was smoking non-stop.  But that was the situation back then (this was 2017 or 2018 IIRC).  Never mind the fact that most of us were still legally drunk that morning from an off-site group dinner and post drinks.  That was totally fine with them, just no weed.  

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

When I was part of a large contingent from UT System as they bid to run for Alamos with DoE (i was a back row bit player).  One of the first things they briefed us on was we'd have to take a drug test just to see certain things and advance our application, and if advanced-concede to ongoing random drug tests.  I don't use any recreational drugs, but being one of the younger members of the group-one of the dudes paused on me and said, "Is everyone okay with that?  This includes being in the immediate vicinity of exhaled smoke of these types of drugs!"  And I got all freaked out because I remembered I was at ACL the weekend before and pretty much everyone around was smoking non-stop.  But that was the situation back then (this was 2017 or 2018 IIRC).  Never mind the fact that most of us were still legally drunk that morning from an off-site group dinner and post drinks.  That was totally fine with them, just no weed.  

Yeah, the job I turned down was at Los Alamos lol.  I was like, no that isn't fair, I'm not doing research on weapons and shit.  Weed is legal there! 

Put it in an ad alongside Kamala saying she will sign that bill as POTUS

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I don't know.  I have a friend from high school who is "The MJ Lawyer."  She helped a lot of shops get set up in CO, then moved back to Texas and is working hard in support of the hemp industry.  She speculated that once Texas was surrounded by legal states (including Mexico), it would fall.  But that hasn't happened from a recreation perspective.  They fought like hell last time.  This amendment isn't the sort that is wildly popular for a variety of reasons, even with Rs.

I appreciate the update. Despite my username, I haven't regularly smoked weed since college, so I don't keep up much with what's going on. I hope we see a fully legal Texas here soon enough, it's absolutely stupid I can go in any direction for just a few hours and find legal weed. My mom has cancer and it's fucking up her stomach and her doctor has told her multiple times she wishes she could prescribe some gummies to help her eat but, well, Texas.

I would think end to federal prohibition would do a lot to swing voters in all the remaining prohibition states. I know a lot of Texans whose entire hang up about weed being that it's not worth the legal trouble you can get into for having it, myself included. If weed were fully legal, I'd be on board instantly.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would prefer they keep drug testing at NASA, but that's just me.

Isn't the whole goal of a NASA to see how high they can get?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Aaaand here come Elon and the culture warriors to try to kick up a distraction for their boy ...

chapelle-show.gif

Transexuals are ruining sports! Some commit crimes! Kamala Harris approves of this just because we say so! Make her deny it!

Having been a prosecutor, my disposition towards crimes committed by anyone is clear. As for transexual athletes, perhaps rules need to be adopted. That's complicated.

I will tell you that there are few things more despicable and low than picking out a group of people for your followers to hate just to drum up votes. I don't think there is ever a good reason for such shameless bullying. Ask Mr. Elon Musk or Donald Trump to deny that this is a hateful strategy that is bad for this country. We're not going back to that.

24 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

My man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I would prefer they keep drug testing at NASA, but that's just me.

A *BUNCH* of top talent bled to SpaceX from NASA specifically because of this. The field I was applying to was brand fucking new, I was told at another company "we don't give a damn what you do in your free time, because there outright aren't enough people in this field right now to fill all the roles." NASA's drug policy in this particular field lead to tangible brain drain. And I know several people at NASA who drink *a lot*.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I appreciate the update. Despite my username, I haven't regularly smoked weed since college, so I don't keep up much with what's going on. I hope we see a fully legal Texas here soon enough, it's absolutely stupid I can go in any direction for just a few hours and find legal weed. My mom has cancer and it's fucking up her stomach and her doctor has told her multiple times she wishes she could prescribe some gummies to help her eat but, well, Texas.

I would think end to federal prohibition would do a lot to swing voters in all the remaining prohibition states. I know a lot of Texans whose entire hang up about weed being that it's not worth the legal trouble you can get into for having it, myself included. If weed were fully legal, I'd be on board instantly.

Sorry about your mom.  Cancer sucks.

• Hook 'Em 1