2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I tend to agree with this. Kamala Harris can freely say she will sign it because it will never come up again. Democrats in Congress won't put it in front of her, and if she wins Democrats very likely control at least the House and maybe even hold the Senate by the skin of their teeth. Even in the world where we end up with Republicans flipping the Senate and holding the House, but Harris is President (this has to be like 2% probability), it isn't going to get 60 votes in the Senate.

Yep. She’s either getting a better bill from a Dem House/Senate or she can blame the GOP House/Senate from blocking it. She can say she’ll sign it but she’s probably not getting the chance. It’s just drawing a distinction between her and Trump killing the deal so Biden didn’t get a win 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

I tend to agree with this. Kamala Harris can freely say she will sign it because it will never come up again. Democrats in Congress won't put it in front of her, and if she wins Democrats very likely control at least the House and maybe even hold the Senate by the skin of their teeth. Even in the world where we end up with Republicans flipping the Senate and holding the House, but Harris is President (this has to be like 2% probability), it isn't going to get 60 votes in the Senate.

I'm less optimistic than you about that. She's boxing herself into a policy position that is unpopular with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus and the Congressional Progressive Caucus, and unlike when Biden did it there is no pressing need to get aid to Ukraine tied to it. It's just bad politics and will be bad for turnout.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/31/biden-border-deal-progressives-00138687

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/06/biden-border-move-infuriated-progressives-00162171

• Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, the job I turned down was at Los Alamos lol.  I was like, no that isn't fair, I'm not doing research on weapons and shit.  Weed is legal there! 

Put it in an ad alongside Kamala saying she will sign that bill as POTUS

What better high is there than calculating the blast and fallout radii for Chinese and Russian cities? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

What better high is there than calculating the blast and fallout radii for Chinese and Russian cities? 

Coming out of grad school I got a job offer at Sandia Labs.  One of the guys I interviewed with was completely giddy about designing part of the weapon that killed Muammar Gaddafi's son.  It was pretty fucking creepy.  I passed and stayed in Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Jesus H Christ. Who would have thought that after all these years of him name calling and the dems trying to come up with a good retort, that we would settle on calling them weird? Then it actually works! They have no fucking clue how to respond, but it sure is grinding their gears.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Thrawn said:

Jesus H Christ. Who would have thought that after all these years of him name calling and the dems trying to come up with a good retort, that we would settle on calling them weird? Then it actually works! They have no fucking clue how to respond, but it sure is grinding their gears.

Let's hope they don't co-opt the Keep Austin Weird thing.  They won't, of course.  But the only defense to "weird" is to lean into it, and they can't fathom doing that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Let's hope they don't co-opt the Keep Austin Weird thing.  They won't, of course.  But the only defense to "weird" is to lean into it, and they can't fathom doing that.

Dems could do it.  "Keep Republicans Weird".  It's not marketing genius, but it might block the move.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Appearing weak on the border is not gonna win in a general US election in the year 2024.

The 10% fringe left threatening to stay home, well f em at this point.

This. It's time to fix the goddamn border. We can then fix immigration more broadly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yep. She’s either getting a better bill from a Dem House/Senate or she can blame the GOP House/Senate from blocking it. She can say she’ll sign it but she’s probably not getting the chance. It’s just drawing a distinction between her and Trump killing the deal so Biden didn’t get a win 

or you could just act as Mitch McConnell does and not care about hypocrisy, if there is any in this case. He certainly doesn't tie himself up in pretzels over such matters

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2

Memes have a very short shelf life these days. Couchfucking is old. Weird is old. The new thing is "Is she Black" discourse, which we need to move on from because it's a classic diversion. I think the Russian prisoner swap will be the new thing for a day or two.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Appearing weak on the border is not gonna win in a general US election in the year 2024.

Agree.  I was fairly surprised that Kamala said she'd just sign the bill, but happy both that she will and how she communicated it (shitting on Trump in the process).  And at the end of the day, if she gets the house and senate she wants, she can still add more to it to make the left happy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dems could do it.  "Keep Republicans Weird".  It's not marketing genius, but it might block the move.

It might backfire.  And I hear the corporation that stole that phrase from the guy who made the bumper stickers can be a bit litigious.

edit: Well, I'll be perusing Amazon for a bit.  

Lots of merch to sift through.

61ocxqpK0LL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp

B1pppR4gVKL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C61KAzFnft

A16YlCTQRlL._CLa%7C2140,2000%7C51xnBtM6X

Not sure if this one is edible

71SQqYxXVML._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Memes have a very short shelf life these days. Couchfucking is old. Weird is old. The new thing is "Is she Black" discourse, which we need to move on from because it's a classic diversion. I think the Russian prisoner swap will be the new thing for a day or two.

No, it's sticking, and will continue to stick every time they do stupid shit. The "Is she Black" thing is a perfect example. It's a fucking weird idea that they are dug into. JD Vance today stuck by his comment that childless women are "sociopaths." They're still crying about drag queens at the opening ceremonies. Trump is still rambling about Hannibal Lecter and asylum. They're weird as fuck. As long as it's not just "their weird" but targeting specific examples, it'll stick through November. He's going to keep saying that blue states allow babies to be killed after their born. I mean, that's really, really, really fucking weird, because literally everybody knows that it isn't true.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Did he buy that shirt at a Pilot Flying J on the way there? Not even Bucee's has anything that ugly. 

The Pilot Flying J option being the only clear choice is only because Weiner's went outta business a few years back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You care passionately about a couple of issues. That's great. But you've also proven to have your finger on the pulse of about 0.7% of the electorate. I think we'll pass on your election strategy advice. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Did he buy that shirt at a Pilot Flying J on the way there? Not even Bucee's has anything that ugly. 

Aggie outfitters by the look of it

Edited by Pato del Muerto
Nipped at the line by the pothead
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Couch fucker is even at the border today fear mongering about brown people.

Screenshot_20240801_165414_Chrome.jpg.21d6d7b09e6dec2df4428652cc8f0961.jpg

This is why "weird" is working. I mean, just look at him, you don't even have to hear him talk to know he's fucking weird in that ugly ass wal-mart shirt. He just reeks of weird.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

40 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I kinda thought JD was going to lean into it with his sleeping on the couch comment. But no, he didn't bring his wife up and leave with a wink and a grin. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

This is why "weird" is working. I mean, just look at him, you don't even have to hear him talk to know he's fucking weird in that ugly ass wal-mart shirt. He just reeks of weird.

100% clear they're using the poor guy in the back as a prop.  If they were just weird, fine...but they're the biggest POS on earth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

1.  People proactively scheming their telegraphed complaints about 2024 Election-Trump & MAGA base since about start of 2021

2a.  People proactively scheming their telegraphed justification for still voting for 2024 Trump despite their disgust and frustration with him-Rest of GOP voters since about start of 2024 

2b.  People proactively scheming their telegraphed complaining about the Democratic Party being responsible for ethnic genocide of Palestinians- 10 to 20% of far-left "liberals" who probably weren't gonna fucking vote anyway out of their bi-annual pouty test that not everything in big kid adults fits their worldview.  Or maybe put a Jill Stein or RFKJR sticker on their laptop outta protest.  Must be nice.  While I respect your position, just do all of us-including yourself-a favor.  Stay the fuck home and complain about "the corporations" to your Che Guevara poster like you do every other fucking November.  Shit's gone too far here at home, you can't course correct anything about the Middle East when we seal off the Homeland to everything in.....or out.  

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Could we pull off a line of shirts/stickers that say, "Keep Austin Weird, but not like Vance Weird."???  I think that could sell.. 

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You care passionately about a couple of issues. That's great. But you've also proven to have your finger on the pulse of about 0.7% of the electorate. I think we'll pass on your election strategy advice. 

This.  See 2b above.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Maybe we should build a wall or something else equally as stupid. 

Walz's quote was awesome. "I always said if they want to build a 20 foot wall someone will start selling 30 foot ladders."

• Hook 'Em 3

I get the piling on Chainsaw, but not sure I can reconcile the following:

1) Get fucked. Leftist wing of the party is shit and should be ignored.

2) This thing is gonna be a fucking nail-biter and will come down to razor slim margins in several states.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Walz's quote was awesome. "I always said if they want to build a 20 foot wall someone will start selling 30 foot ladders."

They also go under it pretty easily. And through it. Or around it. And mostly come here and work their dicks into the dirt. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Maricopa just primaried the GOP election official that kept the count clean.  Now there getting a Trumpkin in that office. 

And?

They fuck around in Maricopa or Georgia, and Biden suspends habeas corpus.

Those fuckers can rot in a federal stockade until they decide to uphold their oath 

SCOTUS just gave him free rein to do so.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1