2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

This looks awesome, but you go to the bit.ly deal and the page is down.  Is there some super-secret way to register?  

You may have mistyped, or your browser prevents it from bouncing to the directed site https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XM_8Zt3oXqqCn1qdZ-SL0ELEkWVAgRxHdBs3wuP-dKY/viewform?edit_requested=true     bit.ly/comicsforkamala

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

The pick can def hurt (Palin and Vance) or just do nothing (Kaine). I wouldn’t say a VP has down much geographically since 1960 anyhow. Mostly you’re just shoring up support among a demo you may not super strong with 

I don't agree with your dismissal of a geographical impact, though sometimes it's not as obvious as "X will bring his/her home state."  In the case of Al Gore, it was that simple.  Gore won Tennessee for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996.  But in other cases, it's a bit more attenuated.  Kamala Harris definitely helped with Black voters, and in Georgia and Wisconsin that may have been determinative.  And Joe Biden helped with the white conservative Boomer population that were critical to Obama's win in Pennsylvania (which neighbors Delaware, and which shares a major media market with Delaware).

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Historically it's a pass/fail. It's pretty well established that a true plus-VP candidate is very rare, but you can do your campaign real harm with a bad pick. See Palin, Sarah and potentially Vance, JD.

And I definitively don't agree with that.  I think Mike Pence was definitely a positive for Donald Trump.  I know this is hard to remember, but evangelicals were really very skeptical of Donald Trump.  Pence was pretty significant in getting them to swing over in his favor.

And as pointed out above, Joe Biden was a major positive for Obama.  There were plenty of white voters who were very iffy about a Black guy, particularly in the critical Upper Midwest states.  Biden was pretty important in shoring that up.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Texas Flood said:

Pelosi wants to go for the kill and maximize down ticket voting. Kamala shouldn't overthink this.

Pelosi wants to pump Waltz and then dump while his stock price is high because she knows it ain’t going to be him.

Classic Nancy 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

@chainsaw this means you.

I supported the Longhorns even when they made bad choices, and I will support the Harris Campaign even if it makes bad choices.

I don't know how much clearer I need to be that you don't have to worry about my vote.

It's eye-opening to see how many people are superstitious enough to think that if there's people out there who see flaws in the campaign's strategic approach and talk about the flaws those people would be responsible for the underperformance of the campaign (and not, say, the flaws themselves). Nobody here has the power to influence the election.

I will give the Harris campaign some credit today for good choices. Outstanding decision to hire a proven winner, David Plouffe.

Also very smart to hire Terrance Woodbury, a polling expert who specializes in measuring attitudes among Black voters. Here's an example of his work

https://hitstrat.com/blacktrack-july-2022/

This move tells me she is serious about maximizing the Black vote and not simply taking them for granted, it tells me she's not too proud to admit she could use some help in understanding the demographic, and hopefully it means she will be prioritizing messaging about the issues where there's strong overlap with non-Black voters. We may also see targeted GOTV and messaging based on Woodbury's work. If it's in the budget she should find an equally competent Latino pollster, a group whose support of the Democratic party has been trending down.

She hired Brian Nelson as a policy advisor. It's hard to get a read on his policy beliefs, but if he is smart he will control any biases and listen to what the data is saying. He is from Biden's treasury department and his 2021 confirmation was contentious (50-49 party line vote so no there was need for Harris to cast the tiebreaker). She and him go way back so I'm not reading too much into this hire, just trying to surround herself with people she knows she can work with and can trust. No different really from assistant coach hiring decisions.

• Hook 'Em 2

She could choose Eric Trump as VP and I'm in 100%.

I'm just ready for all the speculation to end. All of her actual choices look good to me after seeing all the video you guys have posted. 

Onward to battle!

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn, I always just assumed based on the last name that she was Korean.  But Hmong she is, which makes it even a better American story (our history with the Hmong, and their settlement here, is something).

image.gif.cec8dc00362470a5a24d21a6cd4ad5c0.gif

• Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Also this:

My comments made last night were ill-informed and unproductive.

We already know he’s an idiot, but never let somebody else put words in your mouth like that and frame you like a fool.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

The CR recruitment thread, of course it's moving fast. 

A reminder on RCP

More evidence of shittiness 

Real talk: Vance being fucking tired of his kid yammering about stupid Pokemon shit and maybe losing it a bit and telling his kid to stop yammering about Pikachu is maybe the most human and empathetic thing I've heard about Vance.

Seriously, fellow dads.....tell me you never had such a moment with one of your kids, and I'll tell you you're a fucking liar.

I don't think that moment makes Vance shitty.  It makes him real and human.  Yeah, it's a shitty thing to do (you really SHOULDN'T lose it with your kid and tell them to STFU....but you probably also SHOULDN'T drink 14 cheap beers and piss off a public balcony while singing George Strait tunes at the top of your lungs, but man...let he who is without sin throw the first stone, amirite?)...but it's real.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Shapiro really hamstrings the campaign’s ability to hit hard on the misogyny angle. It would be idiotic 

u serious bro?

trump is a rapist. Vance is somebody that showed up in a teleport from the early 1800’s along with project 1725. 

Shapiro had one guy on his staff that assaulted a woman and it’s somehow equals out?

not even Trump’s campaign would try that angle. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Suppressed turnout, etc. but you want to sit here and pretend that because you refused to compromise from your unflinching and unwavering “principles” to vote for the lesser of two evils that it had no negative consequences. Well ok.

My point is not a personal defense. I voted for Kerry and Hillary, for practical reasons. But it’s just lazy victim blaming to pin a right wing victory on left wing voters, instead of on the two parties who only offered right-wing candidates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

u serious bro?

trump is a rapist. Vance is somebody that showed up in a teleport from the early 1800’s along with project 1725. 

Shapiro had one guy on his staff that assaulted a woman and it’s somehow equals out?

not even Trump’s campaign would try that angle. 

It’s not going to be Trump. It’s going to be progressives and they absolutely will harp on the fact that he paid hush money and got an NDA for a buddy that did who knows what to a woman. it’s fucked up and it’s an own goal.

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s not going to be Trump. It’s going to be progressives and they absolutely will harp on the fact that he paid hush money and got an NDA for a buddy that did who knows what to a woman. it’s fucked up and it’s an own goal.

#chainsawed

image.gif.5cd98ca5217b0c34f2499fbee247f0e9.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

This Tim Walz interview with Ezra Klein is refreshing. He’s literally the anti-Greg Abbott. 

“I want Minnesota to be the best state to raise kids”

and he lists about 20 things they’ve done to improve the lives of mothers, kids and families. Abbott only pro-family agenda is to say “it could have been worse” 2 hours after Uvalde shooting. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/id1548604447?i=1000664114455

I was on the White Dudes for Harris call and he dubbed himself the anti-Tuberville because of the football coach connection. With the governor connection, you are spot on. 

Team Walz, Beshear or Buttigieg, but really any of them

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

also, like chainsaw, calling bill clinton a center right candidate

Or you could actually look beyond superficial party labels at a politician’s record when making this determination. Clinton signed NAFTA, the Defense of Marriage Act, welfare reform, the 1994 Crime Bill, and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. This dude at The Federalist of all publications fucking loves Clinton’s record and compares him favorably to Reagan. 

But yeah, Clinton was a real progressive reformer. Mmkay.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

Or you could actually look beyond superficial party labels at a politician’s record when making this determination. Clinton signed NAFTA, the Defense of Marriage Act, welfare reform, the 1994 Crime Bill, and the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. This dude at The Federalist of all publications fucking loves Clinton’s record and compares him favorably to Reagan. 

Triangulationism.

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

My point is not a personal defense. I voted for Kerry and Hillary, for practical reasons. But it’s just lazy victim blaming to pin a right wing victory on left wing voters, instead of on the two parties who only offered right-wing candidates. 

You make it seem like American voters had no say whatsoever in who won the individual state primaries and then were selected the nominee. Bernie Sanders fuckery aside, generally speaking these are the people that were selected by the people to be the representative. So, yeah, I blame the the margin of pouty victims. 

You yourself said you voted for Hillary and Kerry for practical reasons. That means you got it. Others who don’t get a free pass?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Like, "For fucks sake people, it's 2024. Yes he's gay. He's very gay. He's very good at being gay, like he's very good at everything he does, because he's basically a perfect human. Stop being monsters." Ok maybe not that but you get my point

No, I like where this is headed.  Let's lean into it:

13659943-c173-471a-afdb-6434f594dea9_tex

4f31887f-1cee-4372-a990-cafcf078e49f_tex

Resulting in:

92ac5d4e-5fb2-4155-9047-5077e5680769_tex

b8ff89fd-ae19-4eaa-968f-9fd4f79f3da2_tex

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

You yourself said you voted for Hillary and Kerry for practical reasons. That means you got it. Others who don’t get a free pass?

They don’t get a free pass. But principled left wing voters who can’t bring themselves to vote for a dude who apparently is cool with genocide (if, for example, Shapiro gets the nod) would bear far less blame for a hypothetical Trump win than the actual fascists who vote for Trump.  

4 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Clinton’s also a product of his upbringing and era. Clinton also made changes, which turned out to be quite damaging, to allow every American to have a home. He attempted to pass universal healthcare. Jobs and homelessness were at record levels. He was huge for higher and lower education, and he cut taxes on low incomes. Yeah, he was basically Reagan. GTFO. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Clinton signed NAFTA

definitely right of Trump on trade/free markets

I'm disappointed that Biden has continued a lot of Trump's fuckery in that area

Edited by WBT

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

They don’t get a free pass. But principled left wing voters who can’t bring themselves to vote for a dude who apparently is cool with genocide (if, for example, Shapiro gets the nod) would bear far less blame for a hypothetical Trump win than the actual fascists who vote for Trump.  

Sure. But that’s a given. It’s a given that much of America is stupid, racist, lost and lost likely all three. But at the end of the day when the margin is people who should know better, often do know better, but won’t hold their noses then fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

image.thumb.png.6fc572051bc066ce0112c37dfa329169.png

Harris isn't Black. Pete isn't Gay. Tucker, Donald, JD and the other hypocritical fucktards aren't weird. Seems like it's their theme. 

It's opposite day man

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Harris isn't Black. Pete isn't Gay. Tucker, Donald, JD and the other hypocritical fucktards aren't weird. Seems like it's their theme. 

These people are like stepping in dog shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

In that context, it would seem most of the big names being floated for Harris' VP carry very little risk, no?

Here’s an interesting stat from GE Morris.  Kinda underscores the Shapiro as obvious choice thing.

small sample size though

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clinton’s also a product of his upbringing and era. Clinton also made changes, which turned out to be quite damaging, to allow every American to have a home. He attempted to pass universal healthcare. Jobs and homelessness were at record levels. He was huge for higher and lower education, and he cut taxes on low incomes. Yeah, he was basically Reagan. GTFO. 

I didn’t say he was Reagan. I said one rightwing pundit compared him favorably to Reagan. 

My point is Clinton was right of center. He signed a lot of ridiculously regressive shit that caused a lot of harm to minorities and the working class. He had some progressive views, certainly. But he was right of center on balance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

"Cool with genocide" seems more than a tad of a stretch. He, like the majority of Israelis, has strongly criticized Netanyahu. Shapiro's problems with the far left are because he also criticized them as racist (I think it was by comparing them to the KKK) and stopped legal protests. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not in this election. A vote for anyone other than Harris is a vote for Trump.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure. But that’s a given. It’s a given that much of America is stupid, racist, lost and lost likely all three. But at the end of the day when the margin is people who should know better, often do know better, but won’t hold their noses then fuck them. 

Here’s a different perspective: fuck the people who demand left wing votes while supporting right wing / inhumane shit. 

Just now, BrickHorn said:

I didn’t say he was Reagan. I said one rightwing pundit compared him favorably to Reagan. 

My point is Clinton was right of center. He signed a lot of ridiculously regressive shit that caused a lot of harm to minorities and the working class. He had some progressive views, certainly. But he was right of center on balance. 

As someone who was raised as a republican, and registered as one until 2016, I just flat out do not agree with this at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Tucker:  Pete's not gay. I offered to suck his dick but he refused...  NOT GAY!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

My point is Clinton was right of center.

9 minutes ago, G650 said:

Not being a progressive reformer ≠ right wing

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Yes. That sarcastic comment was the main point of my post. Good job, G650’s brain.

Confused Tom Hanks GIF

• Hook 'Em 1