2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You had to be taught how to eat?

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe

Biff - Surly is the circle of trust. Is there a photo somewhere of you enjoying a large orange drink that looks something like this?

IMG_3105.thumb.webp.20f176897649e902e4c354d3ec004bbd.webp

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, chainsaw said:

A distant third is Kelly (boring, might not give her much unless the campaign knows something we don't know), and fourth is Shapiro.

Kelly has the military (combat vet, respected officer) and space/technology thing down (having been in space and having an engineering degree or two).  Elon Musk should be a bit worried about the space stuff.  Good counter to MAGA’s anti-science bullshit.

It’s funny, Trump would be lucky as hell to have Kelly, Walz, or Beshear as his running mate.  Extremely lucky.  

Instead, he gets a Yale grad who pretends to be a common man, who changed his name multiple times, and who has written weird shit, and who has written and said a lot of truly nasty stuff about Trump.

I found this interesting. As a Jew, I'm bemused that I'm not pulling for the Jewish guy. Perhaps it's unconscious bias or a perceived fear of the racism that would come from it, esp on a ticket with a Black woman. 

image.thumb.png.dd20e5c885fbb20942277f75f2bd4ef6.png

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/american-political-science-review/article/distinctive-political-status-of-dissident-minorities/11441BB38BE35E31D50EFD0EAC9F455C

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I laughed at this reply to that tweet:

I clicked on the Richard Hanania tweet, which I and many others are loathe to do. Unfortunately, neither you nor @Bozo_Casanova bothered to paste the full text. And whoa. It's pretty damn shocking to the extent that I wonder if his account has been hacked. 

For anyone else who didn't bother to read it because they don't go to twitter:

It’s taken me a week to fully comprehend the genius of “White Women for Kamala” and “White Dudes for Harris.”

One thing right-wingers love is to complain that you can only have affinity groups for blacks and other minorities. Whites sometimes feel like they’re being held to double standards and treated unfairly.

Along comes the Kamala campaign and says it’s ok to be white. That is, as long as you’re a good person, which means supporting reproductive freedom, not being “weird,” and voting Democrat. We’re all in this together.

It seems “woke” on the surface, but it’s actually a sign that liberals are moving away from woke. In 2020, something like this wouldn’t have even been possible. Talk of “whites” in left-coded spaces only occurred in the context of flogging them for their sins. In 2024, you can be a white dude for Kamala and it’s totally cool. The symbol for “White Dudes for Harris” is a trucker hat, showing self-deprecating humor and membership in a movement that is not at all weird or neurotic about race.

White people receive the message that Democrats do not consider you the problem. You’re welcome into the coalition. There’s even a Zoom call you can join, and don’t worry, it won’t be just Robin DiAngelo telling you how much you suck. Kamala has made clear that she’s *only* considering white men for VP, and there couldn’t be a clearer signal that we’re past peak woke.

DEI therefore doesn’t always mean anti-white! Now you White Dudes get your own DEI pick, like everyone else.

Republicans have been caught flat-footed. Conservatives want to portray these events as a kind of 2020 DEI struggle session, and they can find clips backing up that view, but people who have attended say that there was actually very little of that.

What else can conservatives say in response? I’ve seen a little bit of “why can’t we have a whites for Trump thing?” Well, who’s stopping you? It’s a free country. Organize “whites for Trump” and see what happens. Democrats have given you permission. Zoom can’t accuse you of violating the terms of service if you schedule the exact same event just with the parties switched.

There will be no “Whites for Trump” event because the campaign would never allow it, understanding it would be a PR nightmare. “Whites for Trump” would draw sewer dwellers, instead of the nice, seemingly normal people that came out for Harris. The Vance pick has only reinforced this message, with the signal that the Trump campaign is standing with the most dysfunctional and least sympathetic whites. Most whites do not feel like they have much in common with overweight Appalachians blaming China for taking their jobs when they’re too lazy and dysfunctional to just move to a region with more opportunity, which every generation of Americans has managed to do since the founding. Vance’s comments that we’ll pay any price as long as one American gets to make toasters communicates how the GOP ticket is running to represent the truly hopeless.

All of this contributes to the overall message that Democrats are not the anti-white party. They’re the party of the civilized half of the white race, the ones who believe in science and reject conspiracy theories. The whites who aspire to do something other than make a toaster, complain about immigrants, and investigate the miscarriages of strangers.

We can now all see the hopelessness and stupidity of white nationalism, which wants to argue that the 220 million American whites who are at each other’s throats over social issues and values should unite under one umbrella because they share the same interests. The only way white identitarianism would have had any hope is if liberalism stayed in summer of Floyd mode indefinitely, where you push anti-white rhetoric so blatantly and aggressively that it causes a natural reaction.

Whites for Kamala completely defuses any hope of building a broad white identitarian coalition. It exposes white nationalism, whether explicit or the implicit kind taking over the right, as at bottom a movement for *maladjusted whites* most of their betters want nothing to do with. 

The thing about Republicans ruining Thanksgiving dinner hits home, because most whites who have achieved some level of success in life, or at least aspire to do so, have aggressively stupid catturd-type relatives they want to avoid. They define themselves in opposition to such people.

This is how the left wins.
3:31 PM · Aug 2, 2024
·
 Views

• Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

All of this contributes to the overall message that Democrats are not the anti-white party. They’re the party of the civilized half of the white race, the ones who believe in science and reject conspiracy theories. The whites who aspire to do something other than make a toaster, complain about immigrants, and investigate the miscarriages of strangers

Damn

6 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Whites for Kamala completely defuses any hope of building a broad white identitarian coalition. It exposes white nationalism, whether explicit or the implicit kind taking over the right, as at bottom a movement for *maladjusted whites* most of their betters want nothing to do with. 

Damn

7 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The thing about Republicans ruining Thanksgiving dinner hits home, because most whites who have achieved some level of success in life, or at least aspire to do so, have aggressively stupid catturd-type relatives they want to avoid. They define themselves in opposition to such people.

He’s been reading the surly holiday threads 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, safe sex said:

Kelly's involvement with an MLM kills him as VP for me. And he's hella boring.

This. Anyone involved with an MLM should be sent to prison, not made VP. I’ll allow Kelly to keep his senate seat, but that’s as far as he should go unless he promises he’s learned his lesson and commits to making MLMs illegal and also eliminating car dealerships. Because that’d show real commitment to destroying the real base of the Republican party.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 8/1/2024 at 9:24 PM, Dnaguy said:

Why is it that successful foreigners who benefit so mightily from the American political and economic system seem to hate others who try to get the same bite at the apple?

Nativist poors or disaffected whites I can kind of understand. Don’t agree. But I can at least sort of get their beef.

Rupert Murdoch or Elon Musk try to parade as champions of America yet they fail to truly understand what it’s truly about. America isn’t so much a place, an economy, or a single people. It’s more than the sum of its parts. It never lives up to its promise, yet remains an example. It’s repressive and liberating. It’s an idea and a place. It has no one ethnic identity but is made of a single people.

Once when they get that, can they start telling us what Americans should know or think. 

America is where I can listen to a Tribe Called Quest sing over Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed for a Korean Samsung advert during the Olympics.  And if you don't understand what Walk on the Wild Side represents as nobody in America seemingly complains that hears the commercial does, then fuck right off. It aint broken.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I clicked on the Richard Hanania tweet, which I and many others are loathe to do. Unfortunately, neither you nor @Bozo_Casanova bothered to paste the full text. And whoa. It's pretty damn shocking to the extent that I wonder if his account has been hacked. 

For anyone else who didn't bother to read it because they don't go to twitter:

You like that???

27 minutes ago, Satchel said:

You like that???

Define "like." I agree with <some> of it. I find it more shocking than likeable. In my mind Hanania is a huge part of the gqp's pro-racism think-tank along with Posobiec and a couple others. I find it shocking in more than one way, probably mostly that he's slapping around JD and that he doesn't have a proposed solution for how Drumpf gets out of the corner he's in. 

edit - compare Hanania to this crap. I didn't realize there was any gulf at all between these imbeciles.

image.thumb.png.4c8ea25e41f3304e83aa3cd57caa4644.png

Edited by Chopper
to expound a bit
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

FWIW, I consider Shacklee a pretty weakassed MLM. They make a pretty good fiber pill that results in satisfying bowel movements. If only the GQP had a history of giving power to completely unqualified scions of Amway. Or private Militias.

(Betsy Devoss & her brother Eric Prince)

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Sadly, because he is by far the best for the job. 

I agree but "Butty Gay" is just the sort of thing our dumbass electorate would sink him on.  If he had a regular name I'd be way less concerned.

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't agree with your dismissal of a geographical impact, though sometimes it's not as obvious as "X will bring his/her home state."  In the case of Al Gore, it was that simple.  Gore won Tennessee for Bill Clinton in 1992 and 1996.  But in other cases, it's a bit more attenuated.  Kamala Harris definitely helped with Black voters, and in Georgia and Wisconsin that may have been determinative.  And Joe Biden helped with the white conservative Boomer population that were critical to Obama's win in Pennsylvania (which neighbors Delaware, and which shares a major media market with Delaware).

And I definitively don't agree with that.  I think Mike Pence was definitely a positive for Donald Trump.  I know this is hard to remember, but evangelicals were really very skeptical of Donald Trump.  Pence was pretty significant in getting them to swing over in his favor.

And as pointed out above, Joe Biden was a major positive for Obama.  There were plenty of white voters who were very iffy about a Black guy, particularly in the critical Upper Midwest states.  Biden was pretty important in shoring that up.

Pence didn’t really deliver them, Trump had the evangies wrapped up all the way back in primaries when Falwell among others signed on to kill off Cruz. I remember my late hardcore southern bap grandparents  talking up Trump at Christmas of ‘15. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/01/26/politics/donald-trump-jerry-falwell-jr-endorsement

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, bluto said:

Pence didn’t really deliver them, Trump had the evangies wrapped up all the way back in primaries

Wrapped up is a little strong.  I think there was an enthusiasm deficit amongst many evangelicals that was assuaged by the Pence selection.  Which is kind of funny to write, because it’s probably the only time I’ve seen Pence and enthusiasm in the same sentence.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

My mom is in her 70's and is an old school republican. Grew up during the era of dixiecrats. Military wife. Pretty much the old republican bread and butter. Trump drove her away from the republican party,

This is sort of my mom George W. Bush drove her from the Republican Party, long before Trump had the chance. 2008 was the first time I openly heard her openly talk about and be excited to vote for a Democrat.

I hope more olds like your mom are seeing the light with Trump. But then I look at my dad . . . .

• Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

It’s not reality where a mid 6 figure payout gets coupled with an NDA for allegations of sexual harassment in the post Weinstein / Cosby era, with Trump paying Stormy Daniels and having her sign an NDA?

I like shapiro, and I can defend and get on board with his pick, although he has flaws. But I’d add that the second you’re talking about the payout, as JS1 said, youve lost the bullhorn. 

11 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Most people think the people who stay home on election day look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

C2ogaDzWIAATJ97.jpg

But they actually look like this, and they are all around us just living their lives:

Reveal hidden contents

While we all, or most of us, started at UT, we can't change everything about the world.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/29/politics/turnout-2024-election-analysis/index.html

https://abcnews.go.com/538/vote-back-trump/story?id=109090626

Talking about Trumps bizarro coalition doesn’t mean that the more traditional tropes about voting among traditional voters aren’t also true. 

I think some people remember the Obama days very fondly so they find Shapiro's cadence soothing. I don't think he will have much appeal outside PA and he's got that MeToo problem

lol. It must have really been hard for you to not say Palestine. Like a kid on a road trip trying to make it to the next gas station to piss difficult. 

SimpsonsSayIt.gif

Shapiro is the Jeff Traylor of this race. Looked good against weak competition, not ready for the big time.

This is a stupid, baseless, idiot statement that can’t be corroborated in any meaningful way. People said that about Kamala as recently as last month.A month ago no one knew who Tim Waltz was…Anyone who shows up and can speak in the moment is a good fit. 

But im happy to acknowledge that Shapiro has some real warts. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

It’s going to be Shapiro and once again I imagine it will be a Sunday announcement early afternoon.

im not saying Shapiro is the best but Harris needs PA. It’s not impossible for her to win without PA but it becomes much more difficult. If Shapiro can deliver a 1-2 point swing, that will be enough to put Harris in the WH.

Shapiro might also cost her votes but it will be in states that won’t matter.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In which very odd person and former UT Phrenology Dept head Richard Hanania spits out the bitter truth

Interesting take.  To me, the separate but equal zoom calls seem weird but obviously they've been a big hit.

IMO none of the VP choices are ideal, except for Whitmer and she isn’t in play. I still think they should figure out a way to get her on the ticket. I don’t believe the theory that it has to be a white man, but I could be wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Fantana is going to turn this thread to shit like he did the Israel thread.  

instantly triggered name calling. 

Yeah, him and chainsaw on this thread is a grim portent. 

10 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Nah I'm dropping the argument, but in my defense all I did was ask what he thought was great about Shapiro. Homeboy then immediately implied I was stupid because I mixed up a margin of victory in my head, despite the fact that I admitted I was wrong well before he made the post, and I hadn't insulted anyone at all. Maybe I shouldn't clap back, but that's just not how I'm programmed.

But yeah, it's my fault, I guess.

You think it’s atypical in this world for people who disagree to point out someone’s obvious fuckup and use it as a data point? You make a mistake, you have to own it. That’s how the world works and message boards are no different. 

“oh, you thought charlie strong was a great hire?” Ask @Rimbo how that works. You’re a tech guy, right? “Oh, you thought Craig James’s kid was in the right, did you?” 

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's also worth noting that either Walz or Beshear or both most likely have opinions regarding Israel/Palestine that I would personally find shitty, but it is effectively a non-issue for me when it comes to the election. Pretty much any person that would be on the ticket is going to have the default NPC American politician position, and anyone in the orbit of Trump's GOP would be much worse, in any case.

I'm not, and never have been interested in purity tests, only who gives the best +EV to beat Trump. I think Shapiro is too risky of a candidate compared to the others.

When you start your statements with garbage like “i don’t know what their views are but I would probably find them shitty” no one is going to take you fucking seriously and you’re reinforcing all the stereotypes folks have about the far far left. 

the rest of your post is great, but I almost skipped it because I almost strained my eyes from eyeroll at the top. Why don’t you try acting like an adult?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In which very odd person and former UT Phrenology Dept head Richard Hanania spits out the bitter truth

It still continues to be embarrassing beyond belief that this motherfucker is in any way associated with UT. That being said i thought this snippet was the most telling:

There will be no “Whites for Trump” event because the campaign would never allow it, understanding it would be a PR nightmare. “Whites for Trump” would draw sewer dwellers, instead of the nice, seemingly normal people that came out for Harris. The Vance pick has only reinforced this message, with the signal that the Trump campaign is standing with the most dysfunctional and least sympathetic whites. Most whites do not feel like they have much in common with overweight Appalachians blaming China for taking their jobs when they’re too lazy and dysfunctional to just move to a region with more opportunity, which every generation of Americans has managed to do since the founding. Vance’s comments that we’ll pay any price as long as one American gets to make toasters communicates how the GOP ticket is running to represent the truly hopeless.
8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yes, the Clintons were very altruistic and none of us here would say anything that would cause us to feel the need to go out in the woods and shoot ourselves in the back of the head, twice.

Hillary Clinton Nod GIF

I can’t begin to comprehend how many hundreds of hours of Limbaugh I heard back in the 90s.  I was listening to the wrong Rush.

My point was that they could only sign bills that made it through two chambers of congress first. They weren’t unilaterally making up law. I also don’t think they were saints or not self-serving. Just not right of center. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Kelly has the military (combat vet, respected officer) and space/technology thing down (having been in space and having an engineering degree or two).  Elon Musk should be a bit worried about the space stuff.  Good counter to MAGA’s anti-science bullshit.

It’s funny, Trump would be lucky as hell to have Kelly, Walz, or Beshear as his running mate.  Extremely lucky.  

Instead, he gets a Yale grad who pretends to be a common man, who changed his name multiple times, and who has written weird shit, and who has written and said a lot of truly nasty stuff about Trump.

Kelly is boring and had a China problem. Why even go there?

31 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

IMO none of the VP choices are ideal, except for Whitmer and she isn’t in play. I still think they should figure out a way to get her on the ticket. I don’t believe the theory that it has to be a white man, but I could be wrong. 

Kamala isn’t picking a woman. Get over the dream. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Trumps team would overwhelmingly choose Shapiro. Just hand them the playbook

They should be careful what they wish for.  They already have the Jewish-hating vote. If they start dog whistling that in their usual clumsy way, it will just further identify them as the hate party longing for the days when everybody knew their place and the right people were frightened.

I'm not reading much detail of the kind being discussed here. I had my say above about that. If Shapiro himself sexually harrassed someone, I assume he wouldn't even be considered. If he hasn't, he's easily cleared the low bar set by the pussy-grabber.

Character assassination and slander based on lies are the anti-republic party's only real weapons. Unfortunately for those assholes, contrition will wipe out most stuff brought up against a Dem. The GOPs are never contrite, never self-aware, and never-rising from shit-slinging strategies to the extent that they are now absolutely coated in shit that is right now named weirdness. 

• Hook 'Em 2