2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Never saw it coming.

Same here. The unity and surge of enthusiasm took me by surprise. The Republicans tried the attack I expected (namely, that the party tossed the primary votes and selected Harris in a rigged back room deal) but, unlike Bernie Bros in 2016, it isn’t sticking. Which is fucking great.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

53 minutes ago, WBT said:

Interesting take.  To me, the separate but equal zoom calls seem weird but obviously they've been a big hit.

She's reaching out to every division of the GOP's devisive strategy.  I think your observation of separate but equal is the message, and it's a good one.

All are welcome. All will be the same. All are showing their support and thus unifying in the cause. Forward together.

A few weeks ago used for Biden, it would be cornball. Now, it's again inspiring.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Pence didn’t really deliver them, Trump had the evangies wrapped up all the way back in primaries when Falwell among others signed on to kill off Cruz. I remember my late hardcore southern bap grandparents  talking up Trump at Christmas of ‘15. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/01/26/politics/donald-trump-jerry-falwell-jr-endorsement

This.  Trump had the evangelicals with or without Pence.  Pence, however, did give them cover to pretend their support of trump was godly.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

As someone who was raised as a republican, and registered as one until 2016, I just flat out do not agree with this at all. 

If I was a smart person who nevertheless bought into GOP economic nostrums for another decade following the conclusive results of the 2001/2003 tax cuts I might step back and check myself for internalized assumptions. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

There will be no “Whites for Trump” event because the campaign would never allow it, understanding it would be a PR nightmare. “Whites for Trump” would draw sewer dwellers

So it would be tigersroppings meets texags?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

It still continues to be embarrassing beyond belief that this motherfucker is in any way associated with UT.

I'm legit worried it's going to be like the Hoover Institution is today - a perpetually embarrassing association with the University that we can't separate ourselves from.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

IMO none of the VP choices are ideal, except for Whitmer and she isn’t in play. I still think they should figure out a way to get her on the ticket. I don’t believe the theory that it has to be a white man, but I could be wrong. 

The truth is she has 5+ exceptional options, but the evolution of the dialogue is a good example of why anyone who was hoping for a mini-primary to choose the candidate does not understand how politics works in 2024.
  • Hook 'Em 9

27 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If I was a smart person who nevertheless bought into GOP economic nostrums for another decade following the conclusive results of the 2001/2003 tax cuts I might step back and check myself for internalized assumptions. 

To be fair, age plays a factor. In 2001/2003 I was still in college, and the most attention I paid to politics was the annual fucktards who showed up in the south mall or in front of Gregory to post the huge pictures of aborted fetuses. I honestly didn’t start paying any attention to politics until I couldn’t figure out why everyone hated Obama so fucking much. I didn’t REALLY start to pay attention to politics until I got got a huge pit in my stomach watching Trump debate Hillary.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

They should be careful what they wish for.  They already have the Jewish-hating vote. If they start dog whistling that in their usual clumsy way, it will just further identify them as the hate party longing for the days when everybody knew their place and the right people were frightened.

Israel is a wedge issue many Dems feel differently about. Strongly.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Also shows NASAs max astronaut pay of 145k is shit.

Is that true?  Yikes.  I'd bet half or more of our astronauts have a PhD in a STEM field and are legitimate intellectual badasses.

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Trumps team would overwhelmingly choose Shapiro. Just hand them the playbook

Yep. And I've seen a few Republican strategists on TV all say Kamala should pick Shapiro. 

Culture war would be turned up to 11. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Is that true?  Yikes.  I'd bet half or more of our astronauts have a PhD in a STEM field and are legitimate intellectual badasses.

Neil Armstrong made $27,000 and was the highest paid astronaut in 1969:

Just the regular paycheck, plus per diem for traveling away from home. Michael Collins was paid $17,147.76 as a lt. colonel in the Air Force, Buzz Aldrin pulled down $18,622.56 as a full colonel, and Neil Armstrong (as a civilian) was the highest paid astronaut in NASA - earning $27,401. Which was one the reasons some of the others resented him a bit.

All 3 were eligible for per diem expenses for traveling away from home, for a grand total of 8 bucks a day per astronaut. I don’t know if Neil filed, but Collins and Aldrin did - requesting reimbursement “For Travel and Expenses” and listing their itinerary as “FROM: Houston, TX. TO: Cape Kennedy, FL… Moon… Pacific Ocean… USN Hornet… Hawaii… and returning to Houston TX.” Mode Of Travel: “Government Air”. Amount Requested: $33.31. Their requests were approved a month later.

main-qimg-1b773d95014413f4f0912cc5631308

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

By this logic there will be 2 more debates that have just one candidate show up. 

One is official and the other is some bullshit trump just says he is willing to do. 

8 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

A lot of ways to boost your income that doesn’t involve walking in front on thousands of people with the intention of using your celebrity to fleece them. 

Herbalife! 

Doesn’t matter to his base, only the narrative that will be woven by him and the media 

ABC will still air Kamala alone on stage and everyone will simulcast it. Donald will not receive equal time. 

He can take the win for his base and take the L in reality where it actually matters. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The MLM concern feels overblown. The china stuff less so. Sure Indont like the MLM stuff, but the guy with 95 failed businesses selling everything from bad diplomas to bad steaks to bad vodka is going to bring that up? 

“yeah, I used _____ to attempt and make some money. I’m not sure I’m going to accept any criticism from someone who ripped off a children’s charity like that guy did.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

ABC will still air Kamala alone on stage and everyone will simulcast it. Donald will not receive equal time. 

He can take the win for his base and take the L in reality where it actually matters. 

I don’t disagree with you. Just pointing out the narrative. Im all for Harris showing up alone and saying “why didn’t he show up? The only thing that’s changed is that now he has to debate a black woman. Draw your own conclusions.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

SIAP.  

image.png.4c5c498c13d403e0d8482414c62ddea8.png

Meanwhile, Trump’s team loses their shit when some little 20-something fat fuck carpetbagging high school dropout Marine Corps reject in Texas whose claim to fame is killing some people as a 17 year-old announces he can’t vote for Trump.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t disagree with you. Just pointing out the narrative. Im all for Harris showing up alone and saying “why didn’t he show up? The only thing that’s changed is that now he has to debate a black woman. Draw your own conclusions.”

She would never have such a pussy ass message. 

I think she may actually say "Donald Trump is a coward who refused to confront me on stage. He is too weak to stand up to me how can he possibly stand up to Putin. Donald Trump is a pussy ass bitch." 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think it’s atypical in this world for people who disagree to point out someone’s obvious fuckup and use it as a data point? You make a mistake, you have to own it. That’s how the world works and message boards are no different. 

Of course not, but I did own it. That said, being that this is Surly, I'm going to clap back if I feel like it. That's how the world works and message boards are no different, this one in particular. Regardless, I'm not interested in continuing the argument, as you and Bullneck seem to be. It's over with.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

She would never have such a pussy ass message. 

I think she may actually say "Donald Trump is a coward who refused to confront me on stage. He is too weak to stand up to me how can he possibly stand up to Putin. Donald Trump is a pussy ass bitch." 

I would pay oh, so much money to watch her say those exact words live.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It’s going to be Shapiro and once again I imagine it will be a Sunday announcement early afternoon.

im not saying Shapiro is the best but Harris needs PA. It’s not impossible for her to win without PA but it becomes much more difficult. If Shapiro can deliver a 1-2 point swing, that will be enough to put Harris in the WH.

Shapiro might also cost her votes but it will be in states that won’t matter.

This seems correct to me

This is sub-optimum.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/josh-shapiro-never-served-in-israel-military-spox-confirms?ref=home?ref=home

Josh Shapiro abandoned a 31-year-old claim that he “volunteered” for the Israeli military shortly after it resurfaced Friday.

The Pennsylvania governor, who is the favorite to be named Kamala Harris’ running mate as early as this weekend, wrote a newspaper column as a student in 1993 in which he made the claim about helping the Israel Defense Forces.

In the article, entitled “Peace Not Possible,” a 20-year-old Shapiro wrote about the Palestine Liberation Organization’s agreement with Israel at the Oslo accords: “Despite my skepticism as a Jew and a past volunteer in the Israeli army, I strongly hope and pray that this ‘peace plan’ will be successful.”

At the end of the article, his short bio states that he “spent five months studying in Israel and volunteered in the Israeli army.”

The op-ed was dug up by The Philadelphia Inquirer on Friday—and Shapiro quickly disavowed the claim.

The comment drew interest from the Jewish National Syndicate on Friday, which pressed Manuel Bonder, a Shapiro spokesperson, for clarification on “the extent and nature of his (Shapiro’s) service in Israel.”

“While he was in high school, Josh Shapiro was required to do a service project, which he and several classmates completed through a program that took them to a kibbutz in Israel where he worked on a farm and at a fishery,” Bonder told the outlet, and later confirmed with The Daily Beast.

“The program also included volunteering on service projects on an Israeli army base. At no time was he engaged in any military activities,” Bonder added.

Spoiler

The comments come after Shapiro canceled his gubernatorial campaign fundraisers this weekend, with Vice President Kamala Harris expected to announce her VP pick in Philadelphia next Tuesday. A group of Pennsylvania lawmakers came out in support of Shapiro as VP on Friday.

Bonder added that Shapiro has also disavowed his other comments in the student op-ed, including one sentence where he says Palestinians are “too battle-minded to be able to establish a peaceful homeland of their own.”

“Governor Shapiro has built close, meaningful, informative relationships with many Muslim-American, Arab-American, Palestinian Christian and Jewish community leaders all across Pennsylvania,” Bonder told JNS.

Shapiro added in a press conference on Friday that he “was 20,” adding “I have said for years, years before Oct. 7, that I favor a two-state solution—Israelis and Palestinians living peacefully side-by-side, being able to determine their own futures and their own destiny.”

Bonder had no further comment for The Daily Beast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Trumpers are saying he only agreed to debate Biden on ABC. Also last one was on CNN.

There almost needs to be two threads since there's so many damn posts. One for opinions/astronaut pay/I used to be a Republican etc. Another thread for strictly updates. 

Feel free to create a thread that isn't a duplicate. 

• Haha 2

The problem with a Kamala-only press conference masquerading as a debate against Ghost Trump is that few people would pay attention.  I don't disagree that she should accuse him of being scared and let the media run with that clip, but it would ring somewhat hollow if she doesn't debate Trump on FOX.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

By this logic there will be 2 more debates that have just one candidate show up. 

One is the official one that will actually air nationally and be simulcast on multiple stations. The other will be just another Trump rally that Fox will cut away from the moment he starts in on another insane rant, just like they've been doing since the Dominion settlement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The problem with a Kamala-only press conference masquerading as a debate against Ghost Trump is that few people would pay attention.  I don't disagree that she should accuse him of being scared and let the media run with that clip, but it would ring somewhat hollow if she doesn't debate Trump on FOX.

I disagree. Kamala Harris campaign have been extremely effective in taking over the news cycle. Donald Trump can't even stay in the headlines with bad news let alone favorable stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I disagree. Kamala Harris campaign have been extremely effective in taking over the news cycle. Donald Trump can't even stay in the headlines with bad news let alone favorable stuff. 

Just a few weeks ago he was wounded in a shooting.  Kamala and the Couch Fucker took all of the oxygen out of the room.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That’s why she needs to spice it up for the Idiocracy generation by doing in a remote region of Alaska with nothing but 12 survival tools, no food, and a battery powered camcorder. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

1) a lot of people would still tune in because it is the official debate. 

2) no it wouldn't. Her team will make clear that this was agreed and is the debate. Also, I'm betting Sept 4th will not be available due to VP duties anyway. They'll make a show of her being out of country or something that day. 

3) she may counter with Donald doing the abc debate and she'll do a debate on Fox after (knowing he isn't agreeing to abc debate). 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3