2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

20 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Time for a music break?

image.thumb.png.6a929f8b1bf77b7c074e5aeade72ebdd.png

Oh hell yeah, this is the most dadcore shit I’ve ever seen. 

I always kind of felt like when Barack did these they were focused grouped to death, but this one actually feels like his own playlist. Chappell Roan thrown in for his daughter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Guys, 350 MILLION people work in the oil and gas industry. He ddin't specify, but he didn't say Americans. But he meant Americans. He might have been saying 350 million in Pennsylvania. 

So the whole country?  Kids too?  Man, I guess I'm the odd one out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

So it combines the fraught politics of a consequential proposal while not doing much even if they did it.

OTOH it's a political message that will sound great on the campaign trail and at the convention. It's pandering (like the R's always do and Democrats typically don't) that will put R's on the defense, and it loudly signals Harris has a plan when she's in charge.

It also has the side benefit of putting the major issue, sadly under-discussed, of corporate consolidation of all our industries into the mainstream.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Guys, 350 MILLION people work in the oil and gas industry. He ddin't specify, but he didn't say Americans. But he meant Americans. He might have been saying 350 million in Pennsylvania. 

For trump to cut gas prices in half oil per barrel would have to sell between $20-30. That would cripple jobs and bring American drilling to a halt forcing us to rely more on foreign oil. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For trump to cut gas prices in half oil per barrel would have to sell between $20-30. That would cripple jobs and bring American drilling to a halt forcing us to rely more on foreign oil. 

Doesn’t domestic oil production lose money at like $60 a barrel?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Doesn’t domestic oil production lose money at like $60 a barrel?

They should create an ad that Trump pledges $30 oil if elected and run that ad incessantly in O&G states

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Just now, HenryJames said:

He’s cooked.

I'm not sure that anyone who may potentially vote for him actually listens to the words he says--even though he's clearly slipping--unless there's a real fuck-up. Everything else gets lumped together as "that's just Trump." Flood the zone with enough nonsense, and nothing stands out (or matters).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Tim Walz would at least have one Bodean's song. 

Or at least he should claim he does for the Wisconsin vote.  Violent Femmes as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm not sure that anyone who may potentially vote for him actually listens to the words he says--even though he's clearly slipping--unless there's a real fuck-up. Everything else gets lumped together as "that's just Trump." Flood the zone with enough nonsense, and nothing stands out (or matters).

This.  And even if they did, they don't believe in reality, so they would just hand waive it away.  They just like the idea of being on the team.  Make the libs cry.  That's as far as their brains go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

This.  And even if they did, they don't believe in reality, so they would just hand waive it away.  They just like the idea of being on the team.  Make the libs cry.  That's as far as their brains go.

Speaking of, I can't wait to read texags slobbering all over how manly it was to cuddle a box of cheerios like a long last friend.

National Review: it wasn’t a coup

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/it-wasnt-a-coup/?mkt_tok=NTU2LVlFRS05NjkAAAGUr5MU2ciELB-EohlmHqMbwPi7CWN2yXL0PKibllTniVOQioZpW4zyf9JnvRbdi3B9pWZ1HuwdM3pZADqIlgPy4LYELw5iCC_ztVoQH9jAwSGLdg

And the kicker:

Another way of looking at this is that as currently structured, the Democratic Party is focused on winning elections and the Republican Party is focused on placating Trump. It is of course possible that Republicans could still win with Trump and that Democrats could lose despite their best efforts to win. But we should at least be clear on what happened here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

28 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Big if true. That means KH not picking Shapiro was real bonehead move, considering he secures 100% of the EVs in this election.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That's obviously true with MAGA, but it extends to right-leaning "independents" and mostly tuned out dependable R voters as well. They're stuck in this malaise of "yeah, Trump is eccentric, sleazy, and off-putting...but the media is overblowing everything." I have no idea how you would make a story about Trump stand out as uniquely bad these days. They all blend together as just another part of the Trump experience.

A real trial for the classified documents with judges using words like treason is really the only (small) hope.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

National Review: it wasn’t a coup

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/it-wasnt-a-coup/?mkt_tok=NTU2LVlFRS05NjkAAAGUr5MU2ciELB-EohlmHqMbwPi7CWN2yXL0PKibllTniVOQioZpW4zyf9JnvRbdi3B9pWZ1HuwdM3pZADqIlgPy4LYELw5iCC_ztVoQH9jAwSGLdg

And the kicker:

Another way of looking at this is that as currently structured, the Democratic Party is focused on winning elections and the Republican Party is focused on placating Trump. It is of course possible that Republicans could still win with Trump and that Democrats could lose despite their best efforts to win. But we should at least be clear on what happened here.

from the same article..

“The biggest difference between the two parties right now is that the Republican Party is a vehicle for Donald Trump, but Joe Biden is a vehicle for the Democratic Party.”

I noticed that there were ~300 comments to that article, and from what I skimmed, the majority by a good amount are anti-trump. Now I'm not stupid enough to believe the average GQP voter wastes time reading the national review, but that cant be a good sign. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

That's obviously true with MAGA, but it extends to right-leaning "independents" and mostly tuned out dependable R voters as well. They're stuck in this malaise of "yeah, Trump is eccentric, sleazy, and off-putting...but the media is overblowing everything." I have no idea how you would make a story about Trump stand out as uniquely bad these days. They all blend together as just another part of the Trump experience.

A real trial for the classified documents with judges using words like treason is really the only (small) hope.

At what? Waking 70 million marks out of the Black Sleep of Kali Ma? Think again. Those people are gone in a way that only a personally damaging experience and years of intense therapy could fix. The game here is keeping independents weirded out and hoping the far left doesn't get distracted by another Stein or stay home because another Bernie loses a nomination.

• Haha 1

Just now, softlynow said:

At what? Waking 70 million marks out of the Black Sleep of Kali Ma? Think again. Those people are gone in a way that only a personally damaging experience and years of intense therapy could fix. The game here is keeping independents weirded out and hoping the far left doesn't get distracted by another Stein or stay home because another Bernie loses a nomination.

Long term, absolutely, MAGA is gone and never coming back. But that conspiracy-riddled block is probably only 25-30% of the voting public. The other 10-20% of soft Trump voters will continue living in polite society, but I hope Trump being a two time crybaby loser, plummeting into insanity, and being declared guilty/treasonous in the only case with any real teeth might cause some retrospection. They'll never admit to being conned or being on the fringes of an actual cult, but I'll accept them pretending that they never voted for that loser--and can't believe anyone would--for the rest of their lives.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Do things cost more than they did 4 years ago?

yes, every country in the world has been impacted by Covid and the inflation that followed

are Americans making more income than they were 4 years ago? yes

is the economy booming? Yes

is crime up? Down 25% since he left office

This American carnage, WWIII, 1929 crash reads extremely hollow to anyone with half a brain (which is the people he needs to get beyond his base). 

All he has to offer is fear and anger.  Vote Apocalypse 2024!