2024 Presidential Election Thread - Let's keep the party going.

bolverk

48 minutes ago, F250 said:

When a hobo drops his drawers to shit on the sidewalk and you accidentally see his butthole and it stares back, this is what you see.

Goddamn. That's just a devastating line to lay on someone. That  m'fer  could go on to cure cancer, and he'll always be the butthole guy to me. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

lol at 1) monopoly game and 2) sean spicer book in the background. 

I also love how he has half of one bookshelf filled with books. Like "hey guys.. I read a lot. I've read like 14 books bro, come at me with your knowledge. I also play Monopoly Jr., so I know more about economics than you." 

3 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

You joke, but phdhorn is a super climate change denier. It's pretty much the reason he doesn't post here anymore. 

Oh I’m well aware. He did have pretty good short term weather insights though. But the long term forecast was about as good as Frankie. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh I’m well aware. He did have pretty good short term weather insights though. But the long term forecast was about as good as Frankie. 

He also always got pissed when we joked about the forcefield. "ThErE's No SuCh ThInG GuYs!!!" ... complete lack of a sarcasm meter. Kind of like most trumpkins. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I did my own post mortem on why Trump was appealing after the 2020 election, he lost but he still made it way too close given his presidency. There’s all sorts of political reasons, but putting the gravity of the situation aside, his stump speeches were more of a standup routine than anything else. Now I didn’t find it funny but his crowds laughed more than they cheered. Of course there’s the propaganda, classic blame an exterior threat, the guy isn’t one dimensional but his ability to make his people laugh was a huge component that was never really noticed by MSM for sure but I’m not sure really anyone dove into it. 

now he’s older, he’s flustered, he’s not a novel candidate, more are done with him and he’s lost it. But the whole shark and batteries in a boat thing was just another stand up routine attempt, the problem is he’s losing his mind too so he’s not nearly as good at it as he was.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 8

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

oh my sweet summer child

To be fair, I said should be enough. Im fully aware that we are treading water in a sea of retarded anti-intellectuals and broken, cheugy interior decorators. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

But the whole shark and batteries in a boat thing was just another stand up routine attempt, the problem is he’s losing his mind too so he’s not nearly as good at it as he was.

Maybe I’m not understanding your point here. My way of thinking is standup comedy requires lots of observation skills. If you interviewed 90% of those at his speeches they wouldn’t remember 10% of what he said. It’s like his fans are those kids in junior high that didn’t connect with jocks or nerds and now they have a friend. No matter how stupid friend is he is the best. 

However all your points are spot on. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

Of course there’s the propaganda, classic blame an exterior threat, the guy isn’t one dimensional but his ability to make his people laugh was a huge component that was never really noticed by MSM for sure but I’m not sure really anyone dove into it.

I don't know when I read it, but I clearly remember that someone wrote an article in the The Atlantic (I can't recall how old it was and I'm too lazy to go back and find it) that described the experience of being at a Trump rally as jovial, raucous, celebratory and welcoming.  And that the the enthusiasm was infectious and swept away so many in the movement that just wanted to be a part of a community.  The author said it was hard to understand this through the venom and hate espoused by Trump unless you actually attended one.

That magic formula is clearly gone now.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Uh, I do.  Maybe more.  We HAVE to get people out to vote.  No mercy.

I don't.  I doubt there is anybody who didn't vote for him in 2020, who is now thinking "you know what?  That's my guy!"  I also think the Trump of 2020 would be doing a lot more over the span of two weeks than a Mar-a-Lago presser, a Bedminster presser, and a "rally" at a 2,700 seat theater, especially as his competition is lapping him.

Partly because:

1 hour ago, troph said:

I did my own post mortem on why Trump was appealing after the 2020 election, he lost but he still made it way too close given his presidency. There’s all sorts of political reasons, but putting the gravity of the situation aside, his stump speeches were more of a standup routine than anything else. Now I didn’t find it funny but his crowds laughed more than they cheered. Of course there’s the propaganda, classic blame an exterior threat, the guy isn’t one dimensional but his ability to make his people laugh was a huge component that was never really noticed by MSM for sure but I’m not sure really anyone dove into it. 

now he’s older, he’s flustered, he’s not a novel candidate, more are done with him and he’s lost it. But the whole shark and batteries in a boat thing was just another stand up routine attempt, the problem is he’s losing his mind too so he’s not nearly as good at it as he was.

All great points, and it feeds into him just rambling on without a point.  I feel like in the run-up to 2016 and 2020, yeah, he would get off topic and babble/ramble a bit but he seemed to be working the crowd more, and he always seemed to have that reality TV star knack of having a point or two or three that he was trying to make.  He may take a while to get to the point, but he eventually came back to it, and got the applause and the laughs at the right moments.

I sometimes think the people who believe he's thrown in the towel and is just grifting are right.  He is not acting like somebody who wants to actually win.  He can talk a lot, but I can talk about how I'm going to win the lottery or go out with Sela Ward on a date, but if I don't actually go out and buy a ticket or figure out how to get the restraining order dropped, it's not going to happen.

Now he's the political equivalent of an elderly person driving around, blowing through stop signs and traffic lights, oblivious to what's going on around him.

• Haha 2

where's [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] with a hot dish recipe? 

You rang?

6f7c4e7e13ac73429d9286fb62dc19fa.jpg

Spammity spam!

Had this show up on my Twitter, so now I'm going to force all of you to look at this face, too:
image.thumb.png.f360ef1c7d22426669479dd25ddb8d39.png

So…the problem is that none of these people have EVER been laid, right?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I hope they like human excrement on their well-manicured lawn.

Hey, say what you will, but those folks are brave AF. They’re not only putting a massive target on their back, they’re giving their neighbors permission to think about changing their thoughts. That’s a big signal. 

but yeah they’re probably fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, I believe that you maintain that there were pricing errors that should correct themselves and should not require goverment intervention.

I didn't do a deep dive and there's probably nothing to dive on, but the policy sure seems like it could be problematic, e.g. price controls.

As to the concentration in those industries, that doesn't necessarily implicate monopolization and certainly not collusion (I'm fairly certain the government watches that and would jump on it).  There's probably some pretty good arguments that those industries are monopolistic by nature.

Well ok, but nobody proposed price controls.

For the record, I don’t love the proposal because the juice (hand waving about price gouging to mollify progressives) isn’t worth the squeeze (people who know better calling it price controls, and people who don’t believing them).

That said, words have meaning and  I’m not going to play along with that framing. I see this as a VERY modest step towards reasserting a modicum of oversight of monopolistic behaviors and cartels. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

I don't know when I read it, but I clearly remember that someone wrote an article in the The Atlantic (I can't recall how old it was and I'm too lazy to go back and find it) that described the experience of being at a Trump rally as jovial, raucous, celebratory and welcoming.  And that the the enthusiasm was infectious and swept away so many in the movement that just wanted to be a part of a community.  The author said it was hard to understand this through the venom and hate espoused by Trump unless you actually attended one.

That magic formula is clearly gone now.

There was a similar article in the NYT about 6 or 8 months ago.  I think it was "The Joy of Attending a Trump Rally" and yes, it's like a college football tailgate.  

We’ve seen then try to make scandals out of nearly everything with nothing sticking and coming close to being a scandal, but trying to make the Walz/pepper story be some proof that he’s purposely trying to say Whites have no culture has to be a.) the worst thing I’ve ever seen and b.) shows they know they are losing and have nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

We eat a shit ton of tacos in my family and we call those Gringo Tacos. Definitely have more spice than Tim's. They aren't my favorite that we make but there is something nostalgic about it for me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, troph said:

I wonder if it’s simply a matter of contrast. 

Just a few weeks ago it was Trump compared with Biden, and the latter was looking every bit of his 81 years, with his speech and mannerisms diminished far beyond 2020 when he was more in the spotlight of a national election. Next to that, Trump almost seemed spry, and the national focus and rhetoric was more on the aging Biden.

Now we have Harris and Walz, who are running all over the country with an image of youth, vibrancy, and joy, coming at Trump and Vance with all the wit and bravado. Now, by comparison Trump looks like the feeble geriatric who everybody at the dinner table wishes would stop with the senseless jabbering.

I know there’s more to it than that, but I really think the change is not so much Trump himself and his antics, but his opponent who with contrast is pointing out how incompetent and deficient as a person Trump is. If it was still Biden as the nominee, Trump could still be lisping the same fucked up rants, but everybody would still be talking about how Biden’s age has made him unfit for office.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

We’ve seen then try to make scandals out of nearly everything with nothing sticking and coming close to being a scandal, but trying to make the Walz/pepper story be some proof that he’s purposely trying to say Whites have no culture has to be a.) the worst thing I’ve ever seen and b.) shows they know they are losing and have nothing. 

It’s a mix of “scandal fatigue” and the boy who cried wolf. Literally EVERYTHING is a scandal to them (the ultimate snowflakes). Which makes nothing they call a scandal a scandal. “Walz used toilet paper! He hates trees! And he once crossed the street when the ‘don’t walk’ sign was on!” Layer on the fact that their allegations are more often than not pure lies (“he abandoned his unit to avoid deployment to Iraq!”), and it just doesn’t get traction outside the cult.
The idea is running out of gas. They have nothing new, and no new customers who will buy it.
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You rang?

6f7c4e7e13ac73429d9286fb62dc19fa.jpg

Spammity spam!

So…the problem is that none of these people have EVER been laid, right?

I’d eat that, but onion and bell pepper? Are you sure that’s the right book?

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Well ok, but nobody proposed price controls.

For the record, I don’t love the proposal because the juice (hand waving about price gouging to mollify progressives) isn’t worth the squeeze (people who know better calling it price controls, and people who don’t believing them).

That said, words have meaning and  I’m not going to play along with that framing. I see this as a VERY modest step towards reasserting a modicum of oversight of monopolistic behaviors and cartels. 

I disagree with your premise. They're putting meat on the bones of her campaign (edit - for the media, for content at rallies) and appealing to younger votes, not mollifying progressives. Candidates need a simple plan to rally an audience on the stump, and to sound like a reasonable step to the media. Detailed plans and discussing policy doesn't work. The media pays no attention. See Hillary Clinton's campaign, for example. The next 10 weeks aren't about legislation; they're about winning an election so you can pass legislation. Bare bones ideas are what matters in a campaign. The legislative process is where you worry about the details, but they have to get there first. 

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

These freaks are so lost and have veered way off course, you fucking love to see it. 

Jeez, the extreme-whites are really kicking up a fuss about spicy tacos. Fortunately, they're on the receiving end of a snide of mockery.

image.png.4ffb3dcd9eb2269d682fc8144c6db084.png

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I disagree with your premise. They're putting meat on the bones of her campaign (edit - for the media, for content at rallies) and appealing to younger votes, not mollifying progressives. Candidates need a simple plan to rally an audience on the stump, and to sound like a reasonable step to the media. Detailed plans and discussing policy doesn't work. The media pays no attention. See Hillary Clinton's campaign, for example. The next 10 weeks aren't about legislation; they're about winning an election so you can pass legislation. Bare bones ideas are what matters in a campaign. The legislative process is where you worry about the details, but they have to get there first. 

Bingo. You have to work towards taking back house and senate especially if you want to pass any policy. It’s sad that’s the way it is now but gotta make changes. The days of running on strictly policy are dead. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Jeez, the extreme-whites are really kicking up a fuss about spicy tacos. Fortunately, they're on the receiving end of a snide of mockery.

image.png.4ffb3dcd9eb2269d682fc8144c6db084.png

Oh those poor, oppressed, and now MOCKED white people!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1